Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Stafford is number 3 on the all-time earnings list for the NFL. I guess he'd have to give back 24-36 million if does retire.

He's won a Super Bowl and he is just getting battered this year. I think it's probably silly to not consider the fact that retirement is a very real possibility.

Tano

Legend
The problem for Goff is that he'll be paid near 26 mill in 2023 on his current contract, (20+ mill base + 5 mill roster bonus)
That's a lot of cheddar to float for a QB that isnt the future of the team. I imagine he'll be cut and possibly re-signed to a more affordable deal. There will be quite a list of FA QB's available
Now that Carson Wentz has flamed out for the 3rd time, I wonder if he'd be up for a reclamation project type contract
25 million is pretty cheap for a QB of Goff's stature

Top 15 is fetching around 30 to 35 million right now

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
25 million is pretty cheap for a QB of Goff's stature

Top 15 is fetching around 30 to 35 million right now

If they are committed to him being the QB of the future sure, however if they are drafting a QB its way too much $$ for a guy to ride pine behind a rookie. Unfortunately for Goff, he's hitting journeyman type status and wont see near 26 mill on open market
I'd say if he's cut, he'd be looking at a Marcus Mariota type deal, 2 years, near 20 mill. That is of course if he can find a Marcus Mariota type situation, which doesnt look likely

Tano

Legend
If they are committed to him being the QB of the future sure, however if they are drafting a QB its way too much $$ for a guy to ride pine behind a rookie. Unfortunately for Goff, he's hitting journeyman type status and wont see near 26 mill on open market
I'd say if he's cut, he'd be looking at a Marcus Mariota type deal, 2 years, near 20 mill. That is of course if he can find a Marcus Mariota type situation, which doesnt look likely
That's very possible but I think he would get a Wentz type deal that Washington gave Wentz

I am too lazy to look it up though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's very possible but I think he would get a Wentz type deal that Washington gave Wentz

I am too lazy to look it up though.
Washington didnt give him a contract, he's playing on the extension that he signed when he was playing for Philly
Like Goff, he will be cut as well after the season

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen serviceable QBs win it all. I think Detroit could have a great offense and defense with Goff as a serviceable QB getting them to the superbowl and winning the superbowl.
Not a good strategy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford is number 3 on the all-time earnings list for the NFL. I guess he'd have to give back 24-36 million if does retire.

He's won a Super Bowl and he is just getting battered this year. I think it's probably silly to not consider the fact that retirement is a very real possibility.
Is there a way for us to ask for the money back for cap purposes but let him keep it in actuality?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Is there a way for us to ask for the money back for cap purposes but let him keep it in actuality?

That's my hope; Stafford deserves it for leading us to the promised land. I don't think it works out like that, but with endorsements, he'll likely not need it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hire him for some meaningless PR or VP or whatever job. Probably can't pay him the same but we can pay him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
is she really that much of an airhead? hard to believe.

also, "she wants him to retire and brings it up all the time", again hard to believe that she is that poor a supporter of a spouse.
She's a wife worried about her husband. From there it's understandable for her to be concerned, even to the point where it's over the top.

This is also why teams don't make decisions based on wife opinions. Stafford might. But that's his business and tbh I seriously doubt he retires if McVay returns.

The upcoming offseason will be all about McVay and whether he thinks this team can be turned around in one offseason. If he does then I think he returns. If not that TV money will speak to him and we can probably say goodbye to Stafford and Donald.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If Stafford decides to retire, I fully support his decision. Your health is worth more than money, especially since he's not exactly starving right now.

But for the Rams, a lack of draft capital and cap money might make the Rams into a rebuilding mode. I was hoping for a reloading.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The upcoming offseason will be all about McVay and whether he thinks this team can be turned around in one offseason. If he does then I think he returns. If not that TV money will speak to him and we can probably say goodbye to Stafford and Donald.
I'm more optimistic than you are on this one. I don't think there's any way McVay leaves after this debacle of a season. I think he's too competitive to leave on such a terrible note.

More than anything though, I think a sense of obligation and brotherhood will bring him back. McSnead and the big 4 (Coop, AD, MS, JR) have a special bond and they don't want to let each other down.

Leaving after this season would harm McVay's legacy and he knows it.

JMO

Tano

Legend
Washington didnt give him a contract, he's playing on the extension that he signed when he was playing for Philly
Like Goff, he will be cut as well after the season
Wentz is playing poorly - he should be cut - Goff - he is playing well - just not sure they would cut him

It is his last year on the contract so they could keep him this year while getting their rookie up to speed.

And we really need to move this discussion to a Detroit thread

Last edited:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Kelly is probably telling him to consider it, like Giselle did for Brady. Hey if he decided to I would understand. Save that brain, look what's happening to McMahon, he should've retired after 1986 with a trophy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz is playing poorly - he should be cut - Goff - he is playing well - just not sure they would cut him

It is his last year on the contract so they could keep him this year while getting their rookie up to speed.

And we really need to move this discussion to a Detroit thread
Well, it certainly pertains to this thread since Goff as a cut casualty could be in play for the Rams. Stranger things have happened, Nick Foles returned to Philly, Garoppolo (although he was never off the team) was as far removed as possible but has resurrected his career. Your contract info is incorrect, both Wentz and Goff have 2 more years on their contracts, but both teams can cut them and they will be FA. . Its extremely likely both will for reasons already stated.

Tano

Legend
Well, it certainly pertains to this thread since Goff as a cut casualty could be in play for the Rams. Stranger things have happened, Nick Foles returned to Philly, Garoppolo (although he was never off the team) was as far removed as possible but has resurrected his career. Your contract info is incorrect, both Wentz and Goff have 2 more years on their contracts, but both teams can cut them and they will be FA. . Its extremely likely both will for reasons already stated.
I could swear Goff only has one more year on his contract after this year.

But next year the CAP hit is zero if they cut him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm more optimistic than you are on this one. I don't think there's any way McVay leaves after this debacle of a season. I think he's too competitive to leave on such a terrible note.
This^^^