Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
And the entire training and conditioning staff needs to be replaced.

I don't think that's fair. We've been one of the healthiest teams under the current regime, and the injury bug seems to mostly impact our offensive line. Some of that has got to be a product of plugging in players with no experience, lack of cohesiveness, etc. Reggie Scott has done wonders for this team.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There’s no chance Stafford won’t be back in 2023.
None.
It’s all click bait right now
Unless you have inside information on Stafford's physical status, I have no idea how you think you could make this statement.

Sure, he'll only be 35.. but he'll have made $300 million dollars and won a Super Bowl.
He was teammates with an all-time great who walked away in his prime.. and seems VERY happy in retirement.

I'm not saying he's gone, I'm saying there's know way for us to know what kind of decision he'll make.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Unless you have inside information on Stafford's physical status
I don't think physical status has as much to do with it as mental status. I think his past history of playing through injury and his appearing to be a guy who's not going to let his team mates down and a stronger O line would help with a favorable decision. Of course anything can happen but I feel pretty much the same way DB feels.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think physical status has as much to do with it as mental status. I think his past history of playing through injury and his appearing to be a guy who's not going to let his team mates down and a stronger O line would help with a favorable decision. Of course anything can happen but I feel pretty much the same way DB feels.
Head and neck injuries are very, very different from knees and elbows. The guys legs went numb and he was concussed a couple of weeks ago.

No one is questioning his toughness.

oldnotdead

Legend
Concussions are an injury of a completely different animal. I came home from Nam and didn't know how badly I had been concussed. I went from being recommended for OCS to being transferred to the reserves to finish my enlistment. Others could see it but I thought I was normal. Not until I was tested and shown the results of the tests that I understood the extent of my injuries. I think a lot of the guys coming home now are incorrectly diagnosed with PTSD and are actually suffering from TBI and post-mortems seem to bear that out. My brother sometimes behaves like I used to and the VA lumps him in with all the PTSD guys. I was there only 4 months he was there for 18 months as an Army grunt. In fact, he was in the same division at the same time depicted in the movie Platoon.

What I'm saying is that Stafford may be the last one to know how bad he's hurt and that decision should be left to doctors, not GMs, coaches, and especially himself. If the medical advice rules against him then the team needs to back the docs regardless of how Matt may say he feels.

I hope Matt is around for years, but not so that he can end up like Jr Seau. Junior's transition was dramatic and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.....except my ex ML.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Concussions are an injury of a completely different animal. I came home from Nam and didn't know how badly I had been concussed. I went from being recommended for OCS to being transferred to the reserves to finish my enlistment. Others could see it but I thought I was normal. Not until I was tested and shown the results of the tests that I understood the extent of my injuries. I think a lot of the guys coming home now are incorrectly diagnosed with PTSD and are actually suffering from TBI and post-mortems seem to bear that out. My brother sometimes behaves like I used to and the VA lumps him in with all the PTSD guys. I was there only 4 months he was there for 18 months as an Army grunt. In fact, he was in the same division at the same time depicted in the movie Platoon.

What I'm saying is that Stafford may be the last one to know how bad he's hurt and that decision should be left to doctors, not GMs, coaches, and especially himself. If the medical advice rules against him then the team needs to back the docs regardless of how Matt may say he feels.

I hope Matt is around for years, but not so that he can end up like Jr Seau. Junior's transition was dramatic and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.....except my ex ML.
Thank you for your service @oldnotdead - and to all other veterans and current serving members of ROD.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I don't think that's fair. We've been one of the healthiest teams under the current regime, and the injury bug seems to mostly impact our offensive line. Some of that has got to be a product of plugging in players with no experience, lack of cohesiveness, etc. Reggie Scott has done wonders for this team.
Way too many injuries for one team to deal with and who else do we hold responsible besides Murphy and his law. lol
Also I think the starters need to play more in the pre season. Both lines defensive and offensive were not ready to compete when the season started.

Tano

Legend
Also I think the starters need to play more in the pre season. Both lines defensive and offensive were not ready to compete when the season started.
It's worked the last few seasons but I have always believed as well that it is best to get in a couple series to just get some game action in.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless you have inside information on Stafford's physical status, I have no idea how you think you could make this statement.

Sure, he'll only be 35.. but he'll have made $300 million dollars and won a Super Bowl.
He was teammates with an all-time great who walked away in his prime.. and seems VERY happy in retirement.

I'm not saying he's gone, I'm saying there's know way for us to know what kind of decision he'll make.
He had a single concussion, and yes they are being cautious. All the retirement stuff?? Pure click bait. It's just the way things are, people are more apt to read about sky is falling stuff than anything else. Stafford will be back next year. He's in the height of his career, getting endorsements all over the place and most of all, is a football player. Sure this season sucked, but for him it started out on the wrong foot with his elbow issues etc.
Thats what the media does, heck a couple months ago it was Tua needing to hang it up and now he's in the mix for MVP
Staff will be back

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He had a single concussion, and yes they are being cautious. All the retirement stuff?? Pure click bait. It's just the way things are, people are more apt to read about sky is falling stuff than anything else. Stafford will be back next year. He's in the height of his career, getting endorsements all over the place and most of all, is a football player. Sure this season sucked, but for him it started out on the wrong foot with his elbow issues etc.
Thats what the media does, heck a couple months ago it was Tua needing to hang it up and now he's in the mix for MVP
Staff will be back

It’s actually a neck injury that has him in the concussion protocol. The concussion protocol is the brain or spine, so neck injuries can be included. So, depending on the nature of the neck injury, that will play a factor on if he continues or not.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Staff will be back
Tua is a kid who hasn't made $300 million and won a Super Bowl.

Again.. don't think he'd walk away? Maybe you forget he was teammates with Calvin Johnson.

I'm not saying he's gone, just saying it's not nearly as cut and dry as you suggest, imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s actually a neck injury that has him in the concussion protocol. The concussion protocol is the brain or spine, so neck injuries can be included. So, depending on the nature of the neck injury, that will play a factor on if he continues or not.
And Aaron Donald has a high sprain in his ankle
Please
I mean if folks enjoy the doom and gloom, have at it.
I'll just chill out this season while awaiting Stafford's return to glory next year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tua is a kid who hasn't made $300 million and won a Super Bowl.

Again.. don't think he'd walk away? Maybe you forget he was teammates with Calvin Johnson.

I'm not saying he's gone, just saying it's not nearly as cut and dry as you suggest, imo.
Did Calvin Johnson walk away 1 year after signing a huge contract extension? While simultaneously picking up national commercial sponsors? Nah.... Alas, agree to disagree

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Did Calvin Johnson walk away 1 year after signing a huge contract extension? While simultaneously picking up national commercial sponsors? Nah.... Alas, agree to disagree
Johnson was still a top 10 WR, so I'm not sure the point you're making. He was still going to be making plenty of money.
And he was much younger.
And he had not won a Super Bowl.
And he did not have head and neck injuries.

We can agree to disagree, sure.. but let's be real about the comps.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I did not know this and this is the first I am hearing about it.

Screenshot_20221209-115034_Chrome.jpg

Ellard80

Legend
Stafford will be back.

You can see him out their spinning the ball around and hanging out with his teamates.

He wants to play.