Would Stafford consider Retirement?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Not to tun this into a Goff thread but...

It will be interesting for sure. Do they go that route or build the trenches? Goff is at minimum a serviceable QB if given time.

Do they instead bank on getting a QB in '24 while giving Goff another shot?

If I were them, I'd try to draft a QB that has upside to sit behind Goff for another year.

I admit to not knowing much about their roster but I just don't think Goff is their biggest problem. Still I think they need to draft a QB early. They can do that and still be potentially in the running for someone like the USC QB.

As for the Rams, I think they absolutely need to dig deep and look for a potential Matty replacement. I don't think he'll retire but it would be wise to groom his replacement.

I just don't buy into the list of FA candidates.
I think Detroit should really focus on defense this year. Goff has played well for the most part this year.

Maybe draft a QB in the 3rd round if someone with upside is still there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Detroit should really focus on defense this year. Goff has played well for the most part this year.

Maybe draft a QB in the 3rd round if someone with upside is still there.
Detroit needs to take a top QB if they're in position to get one. Jared is a serviceable starter. You want to have more than that if you're going to win it all.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Are you that desperate to post a “scoop” that you’re willing to start a thread with this dearth of evidence?

Apparently so.
Dude… no.

im just a poster here.

I couldn’t give a shit about clicks as this isn’t a social media site and idgaf about clout

its just something to talk about

if you‘d like to talk about other stuff, those threads are ————>

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I dunno Mac. Even if Matty does retire, the idea that he talked to Stan and Tony after the game IN THE LOCKER ROOM about retirement is a huge stretch. You really think they would be having that kind of discussion in the locker room?

I could see if either party called for a meeting but...

This seems like the epitome of speculation based on nothing but a hunch.

was just talking like I would at the bar

”I wonder if Stafford was talking retirement with Kroenke and Pastoors? I mean his wife already wants him to retire…”

And then we talk over a beverage

Jordain doesn’t bring it up and publish it if it happens every game, likely, so it becomes a casual question, does this have any significance… if anything, I’d say his wife outright saying she wants her husband to retire is much louder than a whisper, but mostly just talking because even I can’t beat the Bobby Evans sucks dead horse anymore.

brucebruce

Rookie
She mentioned on her podcast earlier this season that she wants him to retire and brings it up all the time, and when the Tua thing happened, she said she would straight up leave Matthew if he had a brain injury and pushed to continue playing.

I legit think he's done. Definitely for this season but possibly career.

where did she say this? hard to believe because 1) a concussion is a brain inhury and he's had many of those and 2) they were together during her illness. no way did she say something this asinine.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
where did she say this? hard to believe because 1) a concussion is a brain inhury and he's had many of those and 2) they were together during her illness. no way did she say something this asinine.

On her podcast iirc

brucebruce

Rookie
is she really that much of an airhead? hard to believe.

also, "she wants him to retire and brings it up all the time", again hard to believe that she is that poor a supporter of a spouse.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's not that he has a brain injury, it's the fact he would still want to play after getting such injury as tua suffered.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
it's not that he has a brain injury, it's the fact he would still want to play after getting such injury as tua suffered.

Time will tell. For now It’s best he sits out.Giving Perkins NFL experience is what I like.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Should have sat him for the rest of the season instead of getting him slaughtered behind this terrible wreck of an oline.

I’m certainly in that camp now, but going into the saints’ game, it was the absolute last gasp of the Rams if they were to have any chance at saving the season—otherwise, I would have been right there with you.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I dunno. I could see him wanting to go to Pittsburgh, but nowhere else and he may be ready to be done and prefer to walk away too early than too late.

I really don’t have a feel for ADs mindset. I think Stafford’s is a whole lot clearer.

Going to the steelers is one option over retirement I could see.
Pairing Donald with miller worked out well. Imagine #99 with watt. Ouch! Burrows would spend more time on his back, the browns would be in the stone age again, and lamar jackson might end up winning the rushing title!

The steelers have a their future franchise QB. He’s had some tough INTs (not his fault) while tossing a few “for learning purposes” (his fault). The steelers have a solid defense with a couple pro bowlers, a good looking young weapon at WR, and a decent OL. Another OL and weapon and the steelers would be back.

A 1rst rounder and then some in return? I could see that.

Tano

Legend
Detroit needs to take a top QB if they're in position to get one. Jared is a serviceable starter. You want to have more than that if you're going to win it all.
I've seen serviceable QBs win it all. I think Detroit could have a great offense and defense with Goff as a serviceable QB getting them to the superbowl and winning the superbowl.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saw Stafford the way he looked on the sideline even going into the protocol tent. He looked messed up after that late hit in the endzone.Think it was a player on top & bottom that looked bad.
Knowing he was out the week before & seeing take breathe to just clear his head looked bad.These hits have taken a toll on his well being.
Posting this only because it was visible that he was not right before the hit that ultimately caused him to leave the game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to tun this into a Goff thread but...

It will be interesting for sure. Do they go that route or build the trenches? Goff is at minimum a serviceable QB if given time.

Do they instead bank on getting a QB in '24 while giving Goff another shot?

If I were them, I'd try to draft a QB that has upside to sit behind Goff for another year.

I admit to not knowing much about their roster but I just don't think Goff is their biggest problem. Still I think they need to draft a QB early. They can do that and still be potentially in the running for someone like the USC QB.

As for the Rams, I think they absolutely need to dig deep and look for a potential Matty replacement. I don't think he'll retire but it would be wise to groom his replacement.

I just don't buy into the list of FA candidates.
The problem for Goff is that he'll be paid near 26 mill in 2023 on his current contract, (20+ mill base + 5 mill roster bonus)
That's a lot of cheddar to float for a QB that isnt the future of the team. I imagine he'll be cut and possibly re-signed to a more affordable deal. There will be quite a list of FA QB's available
Now that Carson Wentz has flamed out for the 3rd time, I wonder if he'd be up for a reclamation project type contract

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Goff is #10 in passing yards, #11 in yds/att, #9 in TDs and #12 in QB rating.......in Detroit's offense. He's got less picks than Allen, Stafford, Cousins and Burrow, the same as Rodgers, Mahomes and Herbert. I'd say he's playing pretty well in spite of his surrounding cast. He's still prone to pick sixes but that doesn't matter if you can overcome them like Stafford did last year.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I believe it was the episode after the Tua injury, "The Day After the NFL Gambled With a Life."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If it was my call on our veteran QB he will not play again this season. I would want him to turn all his attention to getting himself healthy for one more season in 2023.

If I were Matthew Stafford I would have a serious meeting with Snead/McVay once the season is over involving his future as their QB. Matthew Stafford needs to review & then see evidence of the Ram Org QB protection plan for the upcoming 2023 season mainly involving the OL but on how to build an effective running game. If the plan is vague & weak MS should just retire & enjoy his new life from that point on.

Snead/McVay's record on the selection of OL'ers i.e. Evans/ Edwards/ Anchrum/ Arcuri & Bruss.........

Last edited:

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
so, if McVay and co. put a competent ol and rb room together with their brain truss that has gone so well for them in that dept. the last 3 years? then Stafford will stay? I think that's what they will tell him with smoke and mirrors, but I don't see it. coach will have to change and I'm not sure he wants to. If Stafford retires then we really look like the old rams again and again. almost too much to bear as a lifelong fan. the hated 49ers have not won a Superbowl yet, but they are always right there, I really thought the rams were that kind of team now. sheesh... go rams