What will it take to make the Stafford trade worth it in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will make you consider this trade a success?

• Super Bowl or bust

• Stafford in MVP contention

• Big numbers and Perennial Pro Bowler

• Just Outplay Goff

• Other (mention in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This thread...

iu
iu
BNpewnQ.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
See I don’t think that’s true. I think he needs to elevate his game (which I believe he will) I thought that was the consensus that being on a better team with a better system would elevate his play and allow him to shine?
I think by Stafford being Stafford he will elevate the offense as a whole simply because he's an upgrade at the position that makes it all "go."
I'm not sure that expecting him to elevate his game would be accurate. He could elevate his win percentage i guess. Does he really need to come in here and be a ton better at QB than he has been?

He's a 12 yr vet who is what he is. Good QB stuck on a bad team(s). He'll be surrounded by good talent here, now go elevate THEM. For all we know Stafford made those guys in Detroit look better than they really are. I prefer the term lead them. We didn't have that here before.

Some folks are comfortable dismissing the surrounding cast argument but it's really night & day.
That's how i see it anyway.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think by Stafford being Stafford he will elevate the offense as a whole simply because he's an upgrade at the position that makes it all "go."
I'm not sure that expecting him to elevate his game would be accurate. He could elevate his win percentage i guess. Does he really need to come in here and be a ton better at QB than he has been?

He's a 12 yr vet who is what he is. Good QB stuck on a bad team(s). He'll be surrounded by good talent here, now go elevate THEM. For all we know Stafford made those guys in Detroit look better than they really are. I prefer the term lead them. We didn't have that here before.

Some folks are comfortable dismissing the surrounding cast argument but it's really night & day.
It's so clear to me that I sometimes get breathless when I read the doubts that some have. How can we see the same guy and come to such different conclusions?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It's so clear to me that I sometimes get breathless when I read the doubts that some have. How can we see the same guy and come to such different conclusions?
I musta missed the posts where members are doubting Stafford, I think he’ll be just fine.

I would hope sticking up for our former QB in the midst of some of the utter hogwash that is hurled his way (by the same usual suspects over and over and over again) isn’t taken as a reflection most of us if not all, are not on board, I know I am.

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes I agree have said the same many times in this thread.

I don’t agree although I think we might be saying the same thing in different ways. I consider Stafford coming here without the shackle of the Lions and playing exponentially better as him elevating his play whereas it seems you’re considering it just Stafford being Stafford….not a huge difference I guess. I’m expecting him to raise essentially all of his numbers besides yardage including his win percentage so I would consider that elevating his game. He hasn’t thrown 30 tds since like 2015 I’m anticipating closer to 40 or more with us.

See this is where these conversations get weird to me. It’s like I’m being lumped into some phantom group that tbh I haven’t even seen. I haven’t seen this referenced group that doesn’t expect Stafford to do well. And even if it is out there what have I said that made you tell me this? It’s like there’s generic sides now and you’re responding to anyone who disagrees with anything as whole.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Huh? If my point was received, then the trade doesn't seal any fate.
It was not received.... You said it was not a big trade, I said it was and pointed out why it was because it does limit your opportunity to find a new QB if Stafford has injuries etc..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I picked other - the offense has to be better, that's it for me.

However, I'm only saying that because every move a team makes when they're already good is a failure if you don't make or win the Super Bowl.

In 2017 we were statistically one of the best teams in the league even though we didn't win a playoff game - all the moves - trading for Cooks, Peters, Talib, Fowler, franchise Joyner and signing Suh - all failures because we didn't win it all.

What's especially bizarre to me is that most Rams fans seem more "WIN IT OR ITS A FAILURE" on this trade than we were the Ramsey trade - which is a trade for a CB versus a QB in this scenario. Which is especially puzzling because one of the firsts in that trade came after not even making the playoffs.

Every move we make will be looked at as a failure if we don't win it all. Only added special piece to the Stafford trade for me is that the offense must be better.
Sorry I missed this, what a great post!
2017 moves ? Hard to call them failure because they did improve the team and were key to making the SB. But with all of the players gone, and little to show for it from an ROI perspective, not sure it was managed well. Your point on Ramsey, I want to disagree with it, but cant. They spent big on him to correct a decision they had overspent on previously (Peters), and without a ring, that also would be considered a failed move.
That said, if (when) Stafford plays to the top tier level that Ramsey has played at, I cant see a way they dont win it all.
The window to win is so short, they continue to sell out to win the big prize.
I guess I just see it different, I agree it's SB or bust, but if they dont win the SB it doesnt mean McVay and Snead are a failure, it just means it didnt work out. But at least they went guns blazing to give it a go.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Because wagons and horses look the same, or whatever the fuck that analogy was.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Never called out ex Rams other than Blythe. I really need to stop that too. The other ones it was just time to go and find someone who fit the team better or were too expensive.

The amount of shit an average center took here was crazy. The second someone brings up the QB...you get Civil War.

Look this isn't personal toward the former QB. All football, and he flat out did not play well overall the past couple years, and especially down the stretch in 2020.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The amount of shit an average center took here was crazy. The second someone brings up the QB...you get Civil War.

Look this isn't personal toward the former QB. All football, and he flat out did not play well overall the past couple years, and especially down the stretch in 2020.
And if the QB had better pocket awareness and moved in it more Blythe wouldn’t have looked as bad.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes I agree have said the same many times in this thread.

I don’t agree although I think we might be saying the same thing in different ways. I consider Stafford coming here without the shackle of the Lions and playing exponentially better as him elevating his play whereas it seems you’re considering it just Stafford being Stafford….not a huge difference I guess. I’m expecting him to raise essentially all of his numbers besides yardage including his win percentage so I would consider that elevating his game. He hasn’t thrown 30 tds since like 2015 I’m anticipating closer to 40 or more with us.

See this is where these conversations get weird to me. It’s like I’m being lumped into some phantom group that tbh I haven’t even seen. I haven’t seen this referenced group that doesn’t expect Stafford to do well. And even if it is out there what have I said that made you tell me this? It’s like there’s generic sides now and you’re responding to anyone who disagrees with anything as whole.
Night and if what is my question ?Talk about generic.

I like your post & all though.I don’t see a disagreement? Then again we can agree to disagree. I like the numbers you put up.

I think The Rams have to win games,or Stafford has to be around a Top 5 QB number wise.

Talk to a TBay fan who always has a high opinion.He says The Rams already list out because of what they gave up. -I disagree

Another sports I asked & his answer was injury’s.Maybe it was about something else,but The Rams as a whole should be better in 2021 on offense. —If not it’s a iffy !

Memphis Ram

Legend
It was not received.... You said it was not a big trade, I said it was and pointed out why it was because it does limit your opportunity to find a new QB if Stafford has injuries etc..
That's what I thought. Sorry, I can't make it more plain.

BTW, since we are talking possibilities (Stafford getting hurt), losing draft choices that could probably be at the bottom of rounds may possibly be offset by trading veteran talent able to be moved thanks to the cap savings of getting rid of Goff's contract. More than one way to skin a cat.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

BTW, since we are talking possibilities (Stafford getting hurt), losing draft choices that could probably be at the bottom of rounds may possibly be offset by trading veteran talent able to be moved thanks to the cap savings of getting rid of Goff's contract. More than one way to skin a cat.

stafford and goff had the same cap hit for next couple of years.

Memphis Ram

Legend
stafford and goff had the same cap hit for next couple of years.

No they didn't. Not unless they restructured Goff's contract again.

Goff was set to count almost $35 million against the cap this year. If I'm not mistaken Stafford only counts $20 million. The figure you are probably comparing is the dead money against the cap this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No they didn't. Not unless they restructured Goff's contract again.

Goff was set to count almost $35 million against the cap this year. If I'm not mistaken Stafford only counts $20 million. The figure you are probably comparing is the dead money against the cap this year.

Maybe I was thinking about the cost to the Lions.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Well, if you could package picks for Stafford you could package picks for another QB, but they now got rid of those assets for a 33 yr old QB.

And no, this year the combined cap hit for Goff/ Stafford exceeds what it would have been for just Goff. That's cap space that could have been spent on keeping a player this yr or carried over to next year to keep a player. And next yr likely Stafford gets a new big contract anyway, where as Goff's dead cap hit was becoming easier to move on from him.

So no, your points are not valid.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, if you could package picks for Stafford you could package picks for another QB, but they now got rid of those assets for a 33 yr old QB.

And no, this year the combined cap hit for Goff/ Stafford exceeds what it would have been for just Goff. That's cap space that could have been spent on keeping a player this yr or carried over to next year to keep a player. And next yr likely Stafford gets a new big contract anyway, where as Goff's dead cap hit was becoming easier to move on from him.

So no, your points are not valid.
The Rams gave up a second round pick for Marshall Faulk. Would you say it was foolish because if Faulk got a bad injury they needed that second rounder to draft a RB?

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Of course I'd love the see a super bowl win but if Stafford had a MVP type of season I would consider it a good trade.