What will it take to make the Stafford trade worth it in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will make you consider this trade a success?

• Super Bowl or bust

• Stafford in MVP contention

• Big numbers and Perennial Pro Bowler

• Just Outplay Goff

• Other (mention in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What your not considering is, if I recall correctly, they could have moved on from Goff next yr with a lot less dead cap hit. Can't look it up now because he is no longer factored in, but I recall at the time that is why I assumed they would go one more yr and then take the $17M dead cap hit if he did not step up. It was in that ball park.

As another post mentioned it may be a risk worth taking. Gamble on greatness... But to say it wasn't risky, is foolish.

We are gambling on greatness on a 33 yr old player that rarely elevated his team...over a 12 yr period. No playoff wins, career 89 rated passer, and few winning seasons. Plus, he has started to get banged up a bit the last few yrs and his playing style will put him at more risk.

I will say it again, people essentially say that Russell Wilson takes a 6 win Seattle team to the playoffs every year... Matt Stafford takes a 6 win Detroit team to about 6-8 wins.
No. Moving on from Goff was considered. In one of these exchanges, I've already stated that his dead cap hit would be less the following season. But, after 2 down years why give him a 3rd at close to $35 million when a potential upgrade can be had. An opportunity that simply doesn't come around very often.

If Stafford had anything close to the same surrounding cast (teammates, coaching, organization) than Goff has had, then I'd see you point. But, he simply has not. BTW, I'm not one to give Russell Wilson as much credit. Seattle's strategy of a strong rushing attack and playing good defense should net more than 6 wins for just about any team, if successful.

Finally, I don't believe anyone said that the trade wasn't risky. ALL trades have an element of risk involved. What was questioned was the magnitude of the risk in the deal, which I believe was blown out of proportion.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would consider this trade a success if it puts more arses in my brand new 5 billion dollar stadium. And my opinion is the only one that matters -Stan Kronkoe

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
So if outcome doesn't matter, Bradford was a hell of draft pick. Improved the team for a yr, improved the QB position. Best money ever spent.

Your view is like saying a guy's decision to marry his girlfriend was great, because it was an initial improvement over his single life. The fact that two yrs later she divorced him and took half his shit, and is now receiving alimony, is beside the point. Great move to walk down that aisle son.
This one made me laugh.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would consider this trade a success if it puts more arses in my brand new 5 billion dollar stadium. And my opinion is the only one that matters -Stan Kronkoe
Hey Stan

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I should change my avatar. Seriously tho, Stafford should excel in McVays offense. He might even be in the mvp race this year, by leading this team to big numbers and big wins. That's why Mcvay and Snead got him. He should be as important to this team as Todd Gurley was. That would make it a successful trade. IMO

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I should change my avatar. Seriously tho, Stafford should excel in McVays offense. He might even be in the mvp race this year, by leading this team to big numbers and big wins. That's why Mcvay and Snead got him. He should be as important to this team as Todd Gurley was. That would make it a successful trade. IMO
Change your avatar? ~ Deacon

rRjyCMb.gif

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hey, I hope he wins MVP. Hope he carries this team as far as possible, but I am not blinded by team colors and assume he turns into Tom Brady all of sudden. You know, the guy who went to an organization with a losing culture and won a SB in one yr. A guy who actually elevated his new team, while his old team fell off a cliff without him.
I just try to keep it simple wrt individual players tbh Philly.

Using Goff as an example he was worth the trade up and all those picks because he played better than any QB we had had since Warner. He raised the bar. I'm sure some feel him not winning that Super Bowl or the last two years of his play make the trade a failure. I don't at all.

It's the same thing with Stafford. Rams feel they're in a window. They paid big to raise the bar at QB. We're gonna get better QB play, of that I have no doubt. He's gonna anticipate nicely, the guy is where Goff may be someday in terms of reading the field and anticipating pressures and what the defense is trying to do.

Basically they paid draft picks to take a short cut to the QB destination they wanted. And as to the guy they moved will he get there? I don't know. We'll see, if he can get back to the guy we saw in 2018 who could get through his reads. And honestly that's Detroit's problem now thankfully. I'm ready to enjoy some 2021 my man. :clinkingbeer:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I predicted 40+ TDs for Stafford this year. We already know his yards will be high. I could easily see him in mvp contention.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
No. Moving on from Goff was considered. In one of these exchanges, I've already stated that his dead cap hit would be less the following season. But, after 2 down years why give him a 3rd at close to $35 million when a potential upgrade can be had. An opportunity that simply doesn't come around very often.

If Stafford had anything close to the same surrounding cast (teammates, coaching, organization) than Goff has had, then I'd see you point. But, he simply has not. BTW, I'm not one to give Russell Wilson as much credit. Seattle's strategy of a strong rushing attack and playing good defense should net more than 6 wins for just about any team, if successful.

Finally, I don't believe anyone said that the trade wasn't risky. ALL trades have an element of risk involved. What was questioned was the magnitude of the risk in the deal, which I believe was blown out of proportion.
It's a big risk. The Rams took it because they're all in on winning a championship while Aaron Donald is still playing at an all-universe level. That's the window. And, yes, there's a new stadium to fill.

I support the win now strategy. You can't accomplish something great without going all in. And, given McVay's success so far, the Rams and Kroenke are willing to roll with McVay's best judgment about what he needs to win it all. (Never mind that McVay's best judgment has repeatedly and suddenly changed from being all in to all out on a series of key players.) As I said in another thread, compare the Rams' strategy to win now with Green Bay complacently drafting for a likely mediocre future.

But the risks are real.

Stafford has clear talent but a frankly mediocre career record. He's 33 and has had multiple injuries. He's on a two year contract. It remains to be seen whether he and McVay will truly land on the same page on how the offense best works. Also whether the offense, now without Cam Akers, has the talent to recreate the magic of 2017 and 2018. Imo the offense as a whole, with or without our former qb, didn't have that level of talent the last two years. Losing Akers is a serious hit to a team which has lacked big playmakers in the recent past.

Imo it's instructive to listen to Stafford himself. You're not hearing him predict anything great, at least not yet.

If the trade doesn't work out well the Rams will clearly be in an unfavorable situation. Anyone who thinks that two first round picks wouldn't be missed in that scenario imo is smoking something. The Rams are maxed out on the salary cap and have traded out of all high future draft picks. While the roster at present has several great players-- arguably the key to a championship-- even now the Rams have lost players they might have wanted back and depth is dependent on leveraging inexperienced lower round draft picks to punch above their weight.

Hopefully training camp will start showing us that the high expectations for the offense are the real deal on the field.

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i am old school and believe in you build threw the draft. even if stafford gets us a sb ring i will still wonder if goff could have done the samething. although i can't help but wonder where we would be if starting with the goff trade we had kept all those high draft picks. i know i will get the draft is a crap shoot even though many of the same peaple who think the draft is a crap shoot will say we can draft good player in the lower rounds if so why not the in the first. anyway i have no say in the way we draft so all i can do is root like crazy for our team. i will always think we have over paid on most of our trade including the stafford trade. even though we will never know how thing would have turned out if we had kept all those high picks i am still hoping and rooting for every one of them to turn out to be the one that starts 20 year dynasty

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So if outcome doesn't matter, Bradford was a hell of draft pick. Improved the team for a yr, improved the QB position. Best money ever spent.

Your view is like saying a guy's decision to marry his girlfriend was great, because it was an initial improvement over his single life. The fact that two yrs later she divorced him and took half his shit, and is now receiving alimony, is beside the point. Great move to walk down that aisle son.
Bradford couldn’t help that he was picked by a bad team that had a bad Oline and an ultra conservative offense. He was a good QB who was much better than what they had. I don’t fault teams for trying to get a WB ever.

I guess surrounding situation doesn’t make a difference to you. Like I said you are just trying to make it impossible for Stafford to succeed.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I just try to keep it simple wrt individual players tbh Philly.

Using Goff as an example he was worth the trade up and all those picks because he played better than any QB we had had since Warner. He raised the bar. I'm sure some feel him not winning that Super Bowl or the last two years of his play make the trade a failure. I don't at all.

It's the same thing with Stafford. Rams feel they're in a window. They paid big to raise the bar at QB. We're gonna get better QB play, of that I have no doubt. He's gonna anticipate nicely, the guy is where Goff may be someday in terms of reading the field and anticipating pressures and what the defense is trying to do.

Basically they paid draft picks to take a short cut to the QB destination they wanted. And as to the guy they moved will he get there? I don't know. We'll see, if he can get back to the guy we saw in 2018 who could get through his reads. And honestly that's Detroit's problem now thankfully. I'm ready to enjoy some 2021 my man. :clinkingbeer:
I understand why they did it. Win now while Donald is at his peak and Ramsey is still in his prime.

I am just saying it is risky, especially considering Stafford's age and the fact that he has been getting banged up a lot lately.

I would be much happier if he was just 3 yrs younger. That is my biggest issue. It reminds me so much of this...
... except this time its a 34 yr old blonde hugging his new QB.

bert-jones-cover-inlinejpg.jpg

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
blob

I am just saying it is risky, especially considering Stafford's age and the fact that he has been getting banged up a lot lately.
I would be much happier if he was just 3 yrs younger. That is my biggest issue. It reminds me so much of this...

Jones Career Regular Season Rating (10 seasons)
Games 102, Comp 1,430, Att 2,551, Comp% 56.06, YDS 18,190, YPC 7.1, TD's 124, INT's 101, Rating 78.2

Silent Stan
Gets his Man

arsenal-owner-stan-kroenke-sees-wealth-rise-by-323million-amid-coronavirus-crisis.jpg
i

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I guess surrounding situation doesn’t make a difference to you.
lol, Pot meet Kettle

haha, I just couldn’t resist (contrary to PFF, Rams OLine pass pro was nothing short of a shit show, especially up the middle, and I know you know it)

BTW, I always liked Bradford and as far as I’m concerned, no Rams QB has ever been drafted that had more talent than that guy, it just wasn’t to be

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
After a couple of rough years to start his career, Bert Jones was an elite QB for about three seasons but then injuries hit (including his throwing shoulder) and he missed a ton of games before coming to the Rams.

Tano

Legend
What I meant was Blythe’s weaknesses would not have been quite as glaring
Possibly but man when Blythe did play badly which I will admit was only a few games, he was really bad

Jers and Green Bay were by far his worst games

Tano

Legend
I understand why they did it. Win now while Donald is at his peak and Ramsey is still in his prime.

View attachment 46805
She was only 34?

She looks to be in her late 40s there

Yes I am mean - I really hated that B….

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
She was only 34?

She looks to be in her late 40s there

Yes I am mean - I really hated that B….
Georgia was over fifty in that photo with Bert Jones.

When PhillyRam said:
'this time its a 34 yr old blonde hugging his new QB''
I think he was referring to Sean McVay.

Tano

Legend
Georgia was over fifty in that photo with Bert Jones.

When PhillyRam said:
'this time its a 34 yr old blonde hugging his new QB''
I think he was referring to Sean McVay.
Okay - I was going to say she aged badly there