What Vikings Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
What I am trying to figure out is this. If Tavon Austin is so good, why does he only average 40 yards a game? Anyone?

You can look at Tavon's stats all day, and they won't impress you. The greatness of Tavon is keeping defenses honest so they can't key in on Gurley. As soon as they try to key on Gurley, Tavon will bust one.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
You can look at Tavon's stats all day, and they won't impress you. The greatness of Tavon is keeping defenses honest so they can't key in on Gurley. As soon as they try to key on Gurley, Tavon will bust one.
Ok..... Viking fans are complaining about Wallace's lack of production so far this year. I see he is right there with Austins numbers. Here I am thinking Austin is one of the top 25 WR's in the NFL the way Rams fans are talking and in production he's down at 80. Maybe he needs a nickname. "Decoy"

Don't worry, I am sure I just guaranteed him having a 120 yards game tomorrow. :)

NorvZimmer

UDFA
Ok..... Viking fans are complaining about Wallace's lack of production so far this year. I see he is right there with Austins numbers. Here I am thinking Austin is one of the top 25 WR's in the NFL the way Rams fans are talking and in production he's down at 80. Maybe he needs a nickname. "Decoy"

Don't worry, I am sure I just guaranteed him having a 120 yards game tomorrow. :)
The cpt. Will shut him down tomorrow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The cpt. Will shut him down tomorrow.

Doesn't Munnerlyn play the slot? If that's true, he won't be facing Austin.

Austin has 7 total TDs this year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Note that this is a Q&A with Ted Glover of Daily Norseman, the SB Nation community for Minnesota Vikings fans. The comments after the Q&A are from Rams fans. So essentially it's what Rams fans are saying about what Vikings fans are saying with a small contingent of Vikings fans...sort of like this whole thread. :)
St. Louis Rams At Minnesota Vikings: Preview Q&A With Daily Norseman
By 3k@3k_ on Nov 7, 2015

usa-today-8897390.0.jpg

The Minnesota Vikings have jumped out to a 5-2 start after winning all of five games just two years ago. Understandably, that start, coupled with the growth of QB Teddy Bridgewater and the standout rookie performances of WR Stefon Diggs, has Minnesota fans riding high in 2015.

So to get a better sense of what's helped them out to their fast start, I linked up with Ted Glover from Daily Norseman, the SB Nation community for Minnesota Vikings fans.

Let's start with the offense. Teddy Bridgewater hasn't had any overwhelming performances outside of the win over Detroit. How would you qualify his 2015 season thus far? Is the passing offense, third-worst in the NFL in yards per game, doing enough to support Adrian Peterson in general?

It's easy to look at the numbers and say Teddy is underwhelming. But...name the QB that has had the most passing yards against the Denver Broncos, undefeated and with one of the top defenses in the NFL. Yeah, it's Bridgewater. He's been efficient, and with him, the passing attack has gone from LOLWUTTHEHELLISTHIS to respectable. He isn't lighting the world on fire numbers wise, and he needs to be more consistent, but he can play in this league.

For example, he shook off a terrible 55 minutes against the Bears, and led the Vikings on two scoring drives to win the game, all on his arm. Right now, he's doing enough. And having Peterson back means the Vikings can still run the ball effectively, and they don't usually need to rely on throwing the ball. And that's cut into Bridgewater's numbers, at least somewhat, as the Vikings are currently fifth in the NFL in rushing yards.

The main difference is that if they do have to throw the ball, they can. I love all the intangibles Bridgewater brings to the position--to watch him in the pocket, go through his progressions, and use his feet to keep a play alive...he just seems to possess things that you can't teach. And as any Vikings fan who's watched the team closely, we've seen QB's with no pocket presence, no ability to go through receiver progression, and none of the intangibles that make you think they could be successful.

Defensively, what's different in 2015? Is it a matter of improving on your 24th-ranked run defense a year ago? is it the impact a rookie like Eric Kendricks can have?

Mike Zimmer. In two years, he's taken a defense that couldn't stop a runaway baby carriage rolling up a slight incline into a legitimate top 10 NFL defense. Gone is the Tampa-2, in is a double A gap blitz scheme. Gone are slow and unathletic players, in are guys like Eric Kendricks, Anthony Barr, and Harrison Smith, who can run side to side, blow up the point of attack, and hit you so hard your distant relatives in Germany will wake up from a sound sleep with a sore jaw.

The Vikings have depth along the defensive line, which allows them to rotate seven or eight quality players consistently, and the linebacking corps is as good as it's been in about seven or eight years. Other than SS Andrew Sendejo, the Vikings have a pretty good secondary as well.

They cover their guys well, it allows the line and linebackers to make plays, and good things are happening. Eric Kendricks has been a huge addition as well. He still seems to be a liability in pass coverage, but there's no denying that he is an exceptional talent that is a very instinctive player against the run.

I also think a second year in Zimmer's defense has helped, too. There was still a learning curve, and both Zimmer and some of the players, like Captain Munnerlyn, said it took them awhile to fully buy in. Now that the defense is starting to really play well, the players have bought in, and it's kind of feeding off of itself.

Stefon Diggs has exploded the last four weeks. Cordarelle Patterson has imploded this season. On the balance, is it a net positive? Besides Diggs and Kendricks, what first-year Vikings are making a difference in 2015?

Yeah, it is a net positive. The thing with Patterson was that he was a raw prospect, and would need time to become a polished route runner. But his athleticism was worth the gamble, the thinking went, because he could be taught how to run routes. Three years in, and he really doesn't seem to have that explosive, natural ability that made him such a dangerous kick returner.

Contrast that with Diggs. Diggs is just as fast, just as explosive, but is already a polished receiver. He consistently gets separation from his defender, is where he is supposed to be when the ball is thrown, and if you miss him in the open field one on one, chances are you just gave up six points.

He's gone from inactive for three games to the Vikings number one receiver and a guy that is on the short list for Rookie Of The Year. While Patterson gets about half a dozen snaps on offense and stands in the end zone while kickoffs go over his head.

One criticism I've seen lobbed at the Vikings which is obviously being amplified by Ramsfans this week is the strength of schedule. Football Outsiders currently ranks the schedule yall have played through seven games as the easiest in the entire NFL (and ranks your remaining schedule as the hardest...).

Is there any concern that the win-loss record or statistics are inflated by the opponents you've faced so far (cough...Detroit...) or is it a sense of just taking care of business and growing into the challenge of the back half of your 2015 schedule?

It's a fair criticism, as the Vikings really haven't beaten anyone...other than teams in their own division, and two of those games were on the road. Yeah, it's the Lions and the Bears, I get that, but these are games that the Vikings didn't win before Mike Zimmer got here. Heck, they lost to both the Bears and Detroit on the road last year, in Zimmer's first year. I think the Vikings gained a lot of confidence in a close loss to the Broncos in Denver, and now, games like the Bears win are games the Vikings are games they're now finding ways to win, as opposed of finding ways to lose.

Before you beat the Denver's and Green Bay's of the world, you gotta beat the teams you're supposed to beat. This team was knocked for not being able to win on the road, and now they've won two straight away from home. They have been knocked for not being able to win divisional games; the Vikings are now 3-0 in the division, with two of their remaining three division games at home.

A long time ago in another lifetime, I was in an organization that had a training philosophy of 'crawl, walk, run'. Before you can run, you gotta learn to crawl and walk. The Vikings just graduated from crawling and are at the walk stage now, and starting Sunday, we'll see if they're ready to run, or if they still have a ways to go.

What's the current satisfaction level among Vikings fans with HC Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman? Are the Vikings "on the right track", whatever the hell that means?

You would be hard pressed to find fans that are unhappy with GM Rick Spielman, coach Zimmer, or the trajectory of the team in general. I mean, sure they're out there, but these are generally humorless people who dislike Christmas morning, the love of a good woman, and consider Michelob Ultra quality alcohol.

This team has been the poster boy for front office and coaching dysfunction for the better part of an entire generation, and it finally seems like the Vikings have a GM that knows how to draft, for the most part, a coach that know how to coach, and a QB that knows how to QB. What a time to be alive.

Thanks to Teddy Glovewater for the time.
----------
It'll be close
Turnovers will be key
--------
i do not think the vikings can win this game without turnovers
our defense is not going to have a washington moment. last year’s game is too fresh in their minds.
--------
I'm of the same sentiment...
the Vikings need to get some TOs on defense to force the Rams into being one dimensional….
--------
That's interesting
If there is one thing I know about Fisher, winning or losing, they will run the ball.
-------
so what your saying is...
the Vikings need to make Foles throw the ball…

it really does seem like we twins separated at birth, i believe that’s the same strategy the Rams are employing against the Vikings…
-------
Is the Viking mantra
Run, run, pass, punt?
--------
More like
Run, run, pass, run, run, pass, run, run, pass, field goal/punt
---------
if 3rd down didn’t exist
we’d have the advantage there
--------
Vikings probably wouldn't ever gain a 1st down, if 3rd down didn't exist.
-------
When it comes to punting, Rams have the advantage.
--------
I think it comes down to which team has nicer horns
I mean they both have horns, yanno?
--------
I had it 19 -24 Vikings
That’s strictly a wild guess.. And yes the Rams got 19 because of a safety a FG and 2 TDs.

These are 2 very similar teams so its really hard to pick. I’d give the edge to the Rams on defense (that D line vs our OLine..yeesh) On offense I’d give the Vikes the edge in passing ..and rushing(but its really a push)

Hopefully Gurley has his first bad day as a rookie. If that happens, the Vikes should win.

But who really knows.. Gonna be a good one
--------
id have to give the rams the edge in rushing offense
177 yards rushing per game since Gurley became the starter. Peterson certainly is the better player career wise but solely based off this year gurley has been better than peterson
--------
I guess you can say that, but teams #1 priority when facing the Vikings is always loading the box to stop Peterson.
With Peterson’s production while facing loading fronts and with a beat up Oline, he’s playing at a high level still.
--------
And you forget Rams don't need to load the box.
The front 7 are great against the run. No need.
--------
never understood why so many people said that donald is weak against the run
i guess its just that he is so good at everything else that his run defense looks weak by comparison.
--------
Pff grades him very well against the run.
He almost repeated his great college play last week. Taking down the running back and quarterback at the handoff.
--------
rams are 3rd in rushing
and they really did not get started good until week 4 so i give them the edge in that category.

passing the rams seem to have more weapons but will they show up?

defense- rams are superior of that i have no doubt.

rams mistakes in the form of penalties and turnovers is the only way i see minnesota winning.
--------
question for the viking fans
with kendricks and Floyd out, how bad does that impact your defense? I have not watched them play this season, mainly because your games are on same times as the Rams, and then i watch red zone lol
---------
Kendricks out hurts more than Floyd at this point in time....
Vikings have Tom Johnson filling in nicely for the Floyd absence but it does hurt the rotation of fresh bodies on the line though…

Now Kendricks being out makes us a little more susceptible to screens as he could chase down and blow them up before they got started. Also his sideline to sideline range will be greatly missed…
--------
I just hope the Rams show up for this game seeing as it isnt against a divisional foe
--------
not to sound arrogant but
our depth players would start on most teams in NFL, we are stacked, all play anyway, Williams implements packages on defense that utilize the whole team, its fun to watch, unless you are the QB. Subs are made damn near every play
-------
Should be a good game
Hopefully Hayes keeps making his case for being a better player then long. We will miss hav and that could be a huge problem but our line sucks anyway so maybe it will just keep us at this level where Gurley carries the O on his back for 4 quarters. Should be low scoring , Rams win 15-9

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

Comparing an all purpose weapon's numbers to a outside the numbers receiver? Using that same standard Patterson has sucked his entire career because his receiving stats are nothing to look at.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same to you Homers. Seriously you guys think any fan other than a rams fan is completely and utterly wrong. There is zero chance that they can have a opinion of their own and that opinion could be right at all.

No, I don't. I think a guy talking out of his ass is completely and utterly wrong. I am fine with opposing teams having differing opinion if they aren't completely ass backwards. I've been pretty fair to the Vikings. I recognize y'all have a quality team and that this will be a tough game. But I'm not going to ignore you making statements that are not even remotely accurate.

Don't want to be called out then don't make inaccurate claims about Rams players on a Rams board. We know our team. We're going to call you out when you're spewing crap. I'm sure you'd do the same thing if I were spewing crap about Vikings players on a Vikings board.(in fact, you've already done that on this board with other posters)

What I am trying to figure out is this. If Tavon Austin is so good, why does he only average 40 yards a game? Anyone?

Good question. Austin is currently on pace for 974 yards from scrimmage and 14 offensive TDs. Maybe that'll show you why us Rams fans think he's good. (y)

P.S. I'm cool with you calling Austin a "decoy" because that decoy role has opened up running lanes for multiple big runs by Gurley. Austin makes our offense much better and that's all I care about. I care about things that help us win games, not put up pretty numbers.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
No, I don't. I think a guy talking out of his ass is completely and utterly wrong. I am fine with opposing teams having differing opinion if they aren't completely ass backwards. I've been pretty fair to the Vikings. I recognize y'all have a quality team and that this will be a tough game. But I'm not going to ignore you making statements that are not even remotely accurate.

Don't want to be called out then don't make inaccurate claims about Rams players on a Rams board. We know our team. We're going to call you out when you're spewing crap. I'm sure you'd do the same thing if I were spewing crap about Vikings players on a Vikings board.(in fact, you've already done that on this board with other posters)

Good question. Austin is currently on pace for 974 yards from scrimmage and 14 offensive TDs. Maybe that'll show you why us Rams fans think he's good. (y)

P.S. I'm cool with you calling Austin a "decoy" because that decoy role has opened up running lanes for multiple big runs by Gurley. Austin makes our offense much better and that's all I care about.
And Stefon Diggs is on pace for 1274 yards from scrimmage. And he missed the first three games. That's why Viking fans think he's good. Wait, he's going to be shut down by the Rams. Never mind. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Stefon Diggs is on pace for 1274 yards from scrimmage. And he missed the first three games. That's why Viking fans think he's good. Wait, he's going to be shut down by the Rams. Never mind. ;)

Maybe, maybe not. But based on what Vikings fans have told me, he'll mainly be facing Janoris Jenkins (since Diggs typically aligns to the left). And Janoris Jenkins has been shutting WRs down this year.

You've yet to give me the same rationale. Who is going to be shutting down Austin? He's no longer playing the slot. He's playing outside and like you guys used to do with Harvin, the Rams find ways to manufacture touches for Austin.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Maybe, maybe not. But based on what Vikings fans have told me, he'll mainly be facing Janoris Jenkins (since Diggs typically aligns to the left). And Janoris Jenkins has been shutting WRs down this year.

You've yet to give me the same rationale. Who is going to be shutting down Austin? He's no longer playing the slot. He's playing outside and like you guys used to do with Harvin, the Rams find ways to manufacture touches for Austin.
i am going to assume that Austin does not line up in the same spot based on the "touches" they manufacture for him. So it would depend on where he lines up as to who will stop him

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Vikings are an average team who have been playing a below average schedule. They will be missing Floyd and Kendricks tomorrow. And boy will they be missing them...

Rams are relatively healthy with strong depth in questionable areas. Teddy Bridgewater may be the Rams's third best player tomorrow behind Gurley and Tavon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i am going to assume that Austin does not line up in the same spot based on the "touches" they manufacture for him. So it would depend on where he lines up as to who will stop him

He moves around. But he's almost always aligned outside. The manufactured touches are end-arounds, jet sweeps, and WR screens.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vikings are an average team who have been playing a below average schedule. They will be missing Floyd and Kendricks tomorrow. And boy will they be missing them...

Rams are relatively healthy with strong depth in questionable areas. Teddy Bridgewater may be the Rams's third best player tomorrow behind Gurley and Tavon.

Let's not get too cocky. Bridgewater has more ability than his stats show and the Vikings are a better team than some of y'all are giving them credit for being. We all got cocky about beating the Redskins and then when we lost, this place had a huge meltdown. I'd rather that not happen if we lose tomorrow.

RPMcMurphy

UDFA
So Vikings fans aren't crazy? Is that what you're saying? I can see you firing up your board pre game right now....
200.gif
Perfect clip of a wonderful Movie, Tomorrow will be interesting. Good luck the rest of the way {other than tomorrow}

RAMBUSH

Starter
you guys have to remember, AP used to have 200 yard games constantly,
2000 in a season etc and it got us nowhere. You need more than running 150 yards a game.
You also sometime need to throw the ball and both teams suck at that
Wait until until we introduce you to our defense , you purple people never seen anything like it !

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you guys have to remember, AP used to have 200 yard games constantly,
2000 in a season etc and it got us nowhere. You need more than running 150 yards a game.
You also sometime need to throw the ball and both teams suck at that

Well, Peterson's 2000 yards did get your team to the playoffs... ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I am a Moderator on a Vike's board and there is little difference between here and there. We both love our teams and sometimes we drink a touch of Kool-Aid, some more than others. I think this will be a hell of a game. Gurley is a beast and AP better play well. I think Diggs can hang with Austin though... should be a great game, here's to no injuries...
RP

Diggs has better numbers as a receiver with 25 receptions averaging over 16 yards. Austin is more of a homerun hitter. He only averages less than 12 yards per catch, but he has 4 receiving TD's to Diggs 2. Austin also has a couple rushing TD's with 141 yards at 8.3 yards per carry. He's got 7 total TD's including punt returns. He's used in different ways. They run sweeps for him, end arounds and even up the middle.

Gurley is tough to bring down with his power. Austin is tough to bring down because he's hard to get a hold of. He can be very elusive and slippery. I remember before the draft several scouts said he had the fastest zero to sixty time they've ever seen. Diggs might be something down the road. NFL receivers typically need 3 years to get acclimated. But I gotta think Austin is the better player at this point in time. Austin is more well rounded with this running ability. And he's one of the best punt returners too.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A big thank you to all the Vikings fans that joined us here this week. (y) I've been doing this type of thread for a number of years and this one was the biggest and most interesting in memory.

I'd like to wish you all the best of luck in tomorrow's game but that would be less than truthful. :sneaky:

Join us again after the game tomorrow, win or lose. Be humbled if you lose :bow:and gracious :cheers: if you win.

Prime Time

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
PFF has its top 10 cornerbacksranked so far this year, Jenkins is not in it.
okay...tomorrow is almost here...see for yourself....

I don't expect the Rams to blow out the Vikes,
meh...I do...they haven't played anyone except the Broncos...the one team from the nfc west knocked their doors loose...running team. I kinda like KC too, so they have a quality win in my book, but still...haven't played a winning team and won...and yes, it means something...

Should be good tomorrow...13 more hours....