What is wrong with Jared Goff?!?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KayJay

Starter
Dude the cognitive dissonance from some of these guys is staggering. They act like we didnt watch those games either :LOL:

I remember being petrified of playoff seeding that year because The Rams performance had been significantly trending down the last quarter of the season and we capped it off by beating juggernauts such as *check notes* a Lions, 49ers, and Cardinals team that combined for 13 wins?

Meanwhile the better than average defenses we faced all year were all set to be in the playoffs (eagles, bears) and both these teams beat the shit outta of us and embarrassed Goff two weeks in a row. And we were going to have to travel to New Orleans. And the Seahawks were trending up as theyd won 7 of their last 8.
Anything that doesn't push your narrative, is cognitive dissonance. There's been a stigma against Goff since he got on the Rams. Its clearly obvious, everyone can see it from you guys; some media pundits included. Its like you ignore any good games he has, and foam at the mouth waiting for him to f*ck up so you can say "I told you so". This is getting old, you guys show up 3 to 4 times a year when he has bad games. And then disappear when he doesn't. This isn't about tearing Goff down. This is about Goff being the only Quarterback who gets absolutely zero excuses from you when he loses, but offer a million excuses for why he wins. You cherry pick numbers from time frames, but avoid the actual overall body of work.

Nobody is an idiot, we all know he needs to play better. But all this fear mongering over a quarterback who has a winning record in the NFL overall is ridiculous.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cherry pick? You said he played with a healthy Gurley. Gurley did not play in the 2 games I spoke of.
And then he barely played in the playoffs
At least have your facts straight
Goff was money in the NFC Championship game, and had a phenomenal 2018. The lengths people will go thru to tear the guy down makes me shake my head.

Read my whole post, start to finish. I was also cherry picking. That was MY POINT.

This play from Goff has been prevalent this year, last year AND the last 8 games of 2018. For whatever reason you clearly didn't read my post because I said some of these games included hall of fame level play, which is what you're pointing out.

But some of his awful games included a healthy Gurley too, so I'm sick of people using that as an excuse. His inconsistent play, which has included games where he looks like the best QB, the worst QB and some in-between, has been around since the Lions game in 2018.

It's bizarre that in a post where I say he's inconsistent, you point out the NFCCG, and then the Super Bowl was one of the worst games of his career. The very definition of what I was describing.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, they should assuming the talent around them is the same.

Its hard for me to believe that anyone would suggest a prime NFL MVP Gurley behind the leagues best Oline BY FAR, with Watkins, Woods and Kupp, with a better offensive staff and more creativity in the playbook in any way compares to what Goff has been working with the past two seasons.

All of this talk about when Goff was good enough in 2018 and when he wasnt... laughable. He was 23 years old and in only his second year in a real offense, his second full season as a starter.
Think about that?
Also, in those games where Goff really struggled, part of that was McVays 11 offense tendencies finally being sniffed out. Yeah Goff played bad in those games but any young QB would have that day at Chicago, the gameplan wasn't ready for the defense. Thats as much on coaching as the QB.

Some people who are correct that Goffs play is a problem of late have been blaming him since before he really deserved it. That's why some Goff supporters like myself aren't too keen on saying "oh yeah they were right all along" because before they were right, they were dead wrong and with an agenda. Right now the agenda is still there only now they have the stats to support themselves too.

I think Mahomes and Lamar mania came and set the league on fire and now people have lost their damn minds about what they should expect from a young QB.
Well Goff entered the league very young with no experience in a pro system. His development was always going to take time. His 7 games his rookie season doesn't even deserve to count.

QBs who play the way he does are going to get beat sometimes and usually losing means some turnovers.

The problem you have IMO is that you assume some people have been down on Goff since the beginning. I haven't. I was all in on touting him for MVP early on in 2018.

But this version of Goff came around at the end of 2018, and has stayed through two additional seasons where the supporting was down last year and up this year.

You're probably right that a QB with the best RB, best OL and best three WR group in the NFL is going to be better - but once a QB gets paid, that type of support is going to go away - if any QB NEEDS the best supporting cast in the NFL to be successful, I don't think they should get a contract taking up 15% of the cap. That's not going to go well.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
So is it not possible to be a Goff supporter and yet be concerned about his erratic play as of late???

Asking for a friend...

Tano

Legend
So is it not possible to be a Goff supporter and yet be concerned about his erratic play as of late???

Asking for a friend...
Yes but also be aware that he usually plays so much better starting in the middle of the third quarter on to where we almost come back and win games. I think a lot of his problems against good defenses is that McVay is trying to figure out what the best plays will work against that defense and doesn't figure it out until the middle of the third quarter usually. That's what it appears to me to be.

And unfortunately, his first half plays have a tendency to bring out the worst in Goff's play.

Not putting the entire blame on McVay but he and Goff don't seem to be on the same page until the third quarter. Why? I have no idea. It could be that Goff is showing extremely good play with the same plays during practice but for some reason flubs up in the games and it takes McVay a half to figure out which plays are to Goff's strengths against that particular defense.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes but also be aware that he usually plays so much better starting in the middle of the third quarter on to where we almost come back and win games. I think a lot of his problems against good defenses is that McVay is trying to figure out what the best plays will work against that defense and doesn't figure it out until the middle of the third quarter usually. That's what it appears to me to be.

And unfortunately, his first half plays have a tendency to bring out the worst in Goff's play.

Not putting the entire blame on McVay but he and Goff don't seem to be on the same page until the third quarter. Why? I have no idea. It could be that Goff is showing extremely good play with the same plays during practice but for some reason flubs up in the games and it takes McVay a half to figure out which plays are to Goff's strengths against that particular defense.

Eagles, Bucs, FT, Seahawks he played better in the first half

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Asking for a friend...
Sure it is. I think we all are. At least the erratic play of the offense in general in the clunker games since Goff and the offense played well in 3 games which sandwiched those games
Its when folks start cherry picking stats to include a game from 2 years ago so they can support their narrative, thus exposing themself as a non supporter. Not referring to you, just a thought to pass along to "your friend"

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The problem you have IMO is that you assume some people have been down on Goff since the beginning. I haven't. I was all in on touting him for MVP early on in 2018.

But this version of Goff came around at the end of 2018, and has stayed through two additional seasons where the supporting was down last year and up this year.

You're probably right that a QB with the best RB, best OL and best three WR group in the NFL is going to be better - but once a QB gets paid, that type of support is going to go away - if any QB NEEDS the best supporting cast in the NFL to be successful, I don't think they should get a contract taking up 15% of the cap. That's not going to go well.

Some people absolutely have been. ROD isn't a place where those people have ever been loud but there have always been people who didn't believe in him when drafted, said he was a bust his rookie season and then got quiet once McVay showed up. Then they get louder after every wrong game.
Just because what I said doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply at all. Do you read many rams fans comments on social media?
Do you not remember LAChamp? Do you not notice the posters who only seem interested in posting about Goffs bad games?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Asking for a friend...
Of course it is. Thats exactly how I would define my view on him.
Verbatim.

Im not seeing any crusade against people concerned with Goffs play.
The only thing even close is when people say ridiculous shit like "any other QB and were undefeated" or "Goff doesn't care" or "he's can't do it without McVay calling the play in for him."
Those are the kinds of comments that get pushed back. All of them were seen here last Sunday and Monday.
Not one member here has been criticized or victimized by anyone for being concerned about the way he's playing. But I guarantee you anyone crazy enough to argue that Goff has been good enough would absolutely get bombarded with disrespect for standing by that take.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And again, is it just a coincidence that Goff's worst 2 games of the season came after a short week, after travelling from coast to coast, against a team who was coming off their bye week? And his 3rd worst game came after 6 coast to coast trips in 5 weeks, against a team playing at home for their 3rd straight week?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some people absolutely have been. ROD isn't a place where those people have ever been loud but there have always been people who didn't believe in him when drafted, said he was a bust his rookie season and then got quiet once McVay showed up. Then they get louder after every wrong game.
Just because what I said doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply at all. Do you read many rams fans comments on social media?
Do you not remember LAChamp? Do you not notice the posters who only seem interested in posting about Goffs bad games?
100%
How about the seemingly endless "We should have drafted Wentz instead of Goff"debate?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Asking for a friend...
I think everyone here is concerned about his play. However the statements flying around that have received pushback are along the lines of “we have no shot to ever compete while goffs here” “wolford is better” etc.. or attempting to blame the entirety of a rams loss solely on our qb while simultaneously explaining away his wins

Tano

Legend
Eagles, Bucs, FT, Seahawks he played better in the first half
I said Good Defense

Eagles Washington (at the time) and the Seahawks all had poor defenses and McVay went ultra conservative in the fourth quarter.

Tampa is the only team with a good defense that Goff played well in the first half and then McVay went ultra conservative in the fourth quarter.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure it is. I think we all are. At least the erratic play of the offense in general in the clunker games since Goff and the offense played well in 3 games which sandwiched those games
Its when folks start cherry picking stats to include a game from 2 years ago so they can support their narrative, thus exposing themself as a non supporter. Not referring to you, just a thought to pass along to "your friend"

As I said before, the inconsistency has been there for Goff since the Lions game in 2018. Prior to that game under McVay, he was beyond amazing. After that game, we've seen one bad game for every two good games, and that spans multiple supporting casts which included some games with a healthy Gurley and an elite OL.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Social media is going to be full of idiots. And yes Champ was a troll.

This is getting to be like politics - people are dividing into "sides" and responding to the extreme perspectives from the other side (I'm definitely guilty of this).

Then it's made worse because we all have different ideas of what a QB is responsible for and how good a supporting cast is.

fearsomefour

Legend

Asking for a friend...
No.
No subtlety allowed.
No realization that other things like play calling or other segments of the offense can affect the passing game.
No consideration on pics for example that we don’t know everything.....no chance it was a wrong route by a receiver....Goff just missed a guy by 10 yards, not likely.
Everything is either or.
To ask a question is to be a hater.
I don’t need to add blue font to this, do I?

fearsomefour

Legend
Truth is it’s rarely one thing.
The offensive operates as a unit.
OL affects the running game which affects the passing game. Play calling and game situational stuff affects both. A different opponent every week affects it all.

My only complaint with Goff is how many times he seems determined where he goes with the ball pre snap.
Several times a game he throws to coverage while there is another receiver or two running open.
More often than not it appears his blind spot is the center of the field. Which is strange. Maybe the throws are determined strictly match up wise if in man?
Most QBs have this happen every week. It’s the nature of the game and clever defenses. It stands out to me when you see guys late in the third with 22 for 26 sort of pass days.....with two dropped passes. Not terrible unusual in the modern NFL where every effort has been made to neuter defenses. Maybe they are doing a lot of 4 yard check downs on 3rd and 9??

So, I admit I am making assumptions when I observe him pass up an open receiver or appear to not see wide open receivers over and over.
If you could sit down (as coaches do) and ask him why he threw that I’m sure he would have a good answer.

What’s the “fix” to a complex problem.
Usually not a simple answer.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tampa is the only team with a good defense that Goff played well in the first half and then McVay went ultra conservative in the fourth quarter.
Chicago has a good defense, Washington has a good defense when Chase Young is on the field, (Chase Young was on the field in the Rams game), Buffalo has a good defense, Philly defense was at full strength and Goff shredded them. The idea he doesnt play well against good defense is silly.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I said before, the inconsistency has been there for Goff since the Lions game in 2018. Prior to that game under McVay, he was beyond amazing. After that game, we've seen one bad game for every two good games, and that spans multiple supporting casts which included some games with a healthy Gurley and an elite OL.
tenor.gif