What is wrong with Jared Goff?!?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The concerns are the bad decisions. Early in the season he threw the ball away more. Now two games in a row he threw it right to a defensive lineman. He should know not to take those risks. Sure he is trying to make things happen, but knowing when to throw it away is just as important. It’s much better than turnovers that lead to touchdowns. That’s what I’m talking about.
Yeah he has been making a ton of mistakes no doubt. He needs to improve. Mainly in being careful with the ball but he will also diagnose pre-snap then ignore open options, stick on early reads he should know are dead, and so on.

Thing with Goff is he requires execution around him. When guys are fucking up and options are covered it can cause that bad Goff to show up. McVay is trying to get him to at least be secure with the ball in those situations and hopefully they can improve around him too. He is not the QB who elevates everyone around him. He is the QB who can play at a very high level when all the pieces are performing though.

This is why I think our hopes this season lie in the guys around him and particularly the backfield.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah he has been making a ton of mistakes no doubt. He needs to improve. Mainly in being careful with the ball but he will also diagnose pre-snap then ignore open options, stick on early reads he should know are dead, and so on.

Thing with Goff is he requires execution around him. When guys are fucking up and options are covered it can cause that bad Goff to show up. McVay is trying to get him to at least be secure with the ball in those situations and hopefully they can improve around him too. He is not the QB who elevates everyone around him. He is the QB who can play at a very high level when all the pieces are performing though.

This is why I think our hopes this season lie in the guys around him and particularly the backfield.

Watch the between the Horns video. They made tw points that are really valid. One is that the Niners took away the between the hash passes which is Goff’s bread ad butter. So maybe that’s on McVay for not having a good secondary game plan.
Another is the abysmal 2.2 YPC in the run game since Whit went down.

It still doesn’t excuse the bad decisions resulting in turnovers. Int’s to the DLine are poor decisions. Not sliding is a poor decision. The Int to Dick Sherman looks like a miscommunication. Goff had a 118 QBR before the break. He needs to do whatever he did in those practices.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Yeah he is extremely good but damn he has a very good to great supporting cast.

I like Higbee but he isn't Kelce.

And Goff doesn't have a Tyreek. The one thing that is missing from our offense that if we could get would make Goff a very good QB imho.
Dont forget Andy Reid. Guy can make any qb look good and now he has a hof talent and we see the results.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the between the Horns video. They made tw points that are really valid. One is that the Niners took away the between the hash passes which is Goff’s bread ad butter. So maybe that’s on McVay for not having a good secondary game plan.

It still doesn’t excuse the bad decisions resulting in turnovers. Int’s to the DLine are poor decisions. Not sliding is a poor decision. The Int to Dick Sherman looks like a miscommunication. Goff had a 118 QBR before the break. He needs to do whatever he did in those practices.
Goff's had teams remove the center of the field before and if everything is running he's fine with that. He's not a QB who requires only a narrow portion of the field to succeed or anything like that. Also the 9ers didn't just take away the middle of the field, they took away the Rams' top two weapons Kupp and Woody. If you check the 22 you can see guys smothered on a lot of the plays. So from there it becomes a minigame of can he take advantage of the plays that were there, and that's when he struggles.

He also struggles with pressure and has since he came into the league. But he usually rebounds in the same game too, so he's not like Everett was.

Anyway. I think the run game is a big factor. Not just because of Goff either but also because the WCO offenses coordinate so much off that run action. This is why I keep saying we need Whit back. Boom's done a good job so far in pass pro which is important not to get Goff killed, but Goff like a lot of QBs still has to trust that guy who has his blindside and if his mind is on that he's going to make more mistakes.

Bottom line is I keep trying to point out Goff is not the only problem. McVay's scheme is not the only issue either, in fact it is the least of our worries. The problem is we have a QB who requires the pieces to function and they're not all functioning at the level they need to, on top of him pressing and making mistakes and needing to improve in some key areas. But we see more of the blame in the media and even among fans focusing on the scheme and the QB and there's a whole fucking lot going wrong other than those things. IMO.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Yes but also be aware that he usually plays so much better starting in the middle of the third quarter on to where we almost come back and win games. I think a lot of his problems against good defenses is that McVay is trying to figure out what the best plays will work against that defense and doesn't figure it out until the middle of the third quarter usually. That's what it appears to me to be.

And unfortunately, his first half plays have a tendency to bring out the worst in Goff's play.

Not putting the entire blame on McVay but he and Goff don't seem to be on the same page until the third quarter. Why? I have no idea. It could be that Goff is showing extremely good play with the same plays during practice but for some reason flubs up in the games and it takes McVay a half to figure out which plays are to Goff's strengths against that particular defense.
As bad as the Miami game was, Goff was 9 of 9 for one stretch in the late 3rd and 4th quarters in the midst of coming back

Tano

Legend
As bad as the Miami game was, Goff was 9 of 9 for one stretch in the late 3rd and 4th quarters in the midst of coming back
Proves my point that I am trying to say

I have a feeling that sometimes my posts don't express exactly what I am trying to say and I apologize to everyone that I may be confusing you. But at least for the most part I am "gramatically" correct.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Dont forget Andy Reid. Guy can make any qb look good and now he has a hof talent and we see the results.
Reid has constructed that offense entirely around Mahomes...I respect McVay deeply but the Ram offense is not as conducive To making Goff look good.

Goff will never throw 36 TD passes in McVay’s offense because they run in the Red Zone.

It sure hurts Goff from stat and rating and therefore respect perspective.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Reid has constructed that offense entirely around Mahomes...I respect McVay deeply but the Ram offense is not as conducive To making Goff look good.

Goff will never throw 36 TD passes in McVay’s offense because they run in the Red Zone.

It sure hurts Goff from stat and rating and therefore respect perspective.
I'm agree with everything you said. Mcvay has a system and goff is just a part of it. He hasn't built the system around goff he just installed goff in his system. If he built the offense around goff then he would be in the shotgun majority of the time like mahomes/Murray etc

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
To be fair, the latest INT/pick-6 was absolutely his fault as his target was triple covered. The TB INT was not his fault at all. He had 4 lineman ready to block for Henderson, only one defender nearby, then Henderson doesn't turn around. Instead, he darts off away from his blockers and the ball gets thrown directly to the only defender within 10 yards.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. It is a disturbing trend that Goff sometimes seems to go to a target that he decides upon pre-snap and doesn't adjust to what the D does post-snap. But I have hopes he gets better with more exp. Yes, he's been in the league for a few years now, but he is mid-20s and I'm still a believer he'll get better at this. What is really of concern to me is the downtrend in his accuracy. He's missed wide open targets at times. If he makes even an average throw, we win at least 3 of these 4 losses.
This pick 6 isn't the one he was hit as he let the ball go is it? Cause that totally changed the direction of the ball. It was a tight window, but he had room.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm agree with everything you said. Mcvay has a system and goff is just a part of it. He hasn't built the system around goff he just installed goff in his system. If he built the offense around goff then he would be in the shotgun majority of the time like mahomes/Murray etc

Jared be like...

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f76456c52706d4b2d6a54724271413d3d2d3237303339323632392e313435653933663030636664386366653631323230303036343139372e676966

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Goff's had teams remove the center of the field before and if everything is running he's fine with that. He's not a QB who requires only a narrow portion of the field to succeed or anything like that. Also the 9ers didn't just take away the middle of the field, they took away the Rams' top two weapons Kupp and Woody. If you check the 22 you can see guys smothered on a lot of the plays. So from there it becomes a minigame of can he take advantage of the plays that were there, and that's when he struggles.

He also struggles with pressure and has since he came into the league. But he usually rebounds in the same game too, so he's not like Everett was.

Anyway. I think the run game is a big factor. Not just because of Goff either but also because the WCO offenses coordinate so much off that run action. This is why I keep saying we need Whit back. Boom's done a good job so far in pass pro which is important not to get Goff killed, but Goff like a lot of QBs still has to trust that guy who has his blindside and if his mind is on that he's going to make more mistakes.

Bottom line is I keep trying to point out Goff is not the only problem. McVay's scheme is not the only issue either, in fact it is the least of our worries. The problem is we have a QB who requires the pieces to function and they're not all functioning at the level they need to, on top of him pressing and making mistakes and needing to improve in some key areas. But we see more of the blame in the media and even among fans focusing on the scheme and the QB and there's a whole fucking lot going wrong other than those things. IMO.

There is something that has been bothering me since the Miami game.
This is loosely translated from memory, but I heard something to
the effect of Goff not putting in the necessary preparation prior
to the game. (Mcvays words)
Of all of the things you could hear, this is by far the worse thing you can
hear about a QB, I do hope this is not the case.
I have been a Goff supporter since watching film on he and Wentz prior
to the draft and am still keeping faith that Goff will mature into
the QB that we all imagined him to be.
But I have wondered, since hearing this, If he is truly putting in
the work it takes to be successful.
If you guys have heard anything contrary to this, please let me know.
because this has been bugging the crap out of me.
Merlin,any thoughts?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if there was a problem with Goff's dedication in any way whatsoever McVay would change his QB. So IMO that is very unlikely. I trust that Jared's the guy we all think he is basically and McVay would give us indicators if that was not true.

jacktheripper85

Starter
There is something that has been bothering me since the Miami game.
This is loosely translated from memory, but I heard something to
the effect of Goff not putting in the necessary preparation prior
to the game. (Mcvays words)
Of all of the things you could hear, this is by far the worse thing you can
hear about a QB, I do hope this is not the case.
I have been a Goff supporter since watching film on he and Wentz prior
to the draft and am still keeping faith that Goff will mature into
the QB that we all imagined him to be.
But I have wondered, since hearing this, If he is truly putting in
the work it takes to be successful.
If you guys have heard anything contrary to this, please let me know.
because this has been bugging the crap out of me.
Merlin,any thoughts?

I’ve also mentioned this and think you are spot on. McVay did make those comments and when a guy like Goff or for that matter anyone else with that talent level plays as up and down as he does-no real middle road-it’s typically a preparation issue.

It’s almost like he masters plan A and if that works great but if it isn’t working he’s fucked because he doesn’t put the time in to master Plan B or C.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Goff threw for 32 TDs in 2018, while we ran the ball a TON in the red zone. Gurley had 17 rushing TDs. So yea don't buy this narrative at all.

Difference is we would hit MULTIPLE deep passes a game. We've hit one deep TD this entire year, and we only hit 1 last year. Lots of misses down the field by Goff every week. This was an elite part of his game in 2017/2018 that seems to have fallen off a cliff. He would hardly miss on the deep shots before, now he cant hit one to save his life it seems. Hope this improves as the season goes along, but hard to be optimistic given the trend for the past 2 years honestly.

We need to focus on running the ball more and sticking with it to take the pressure off him. Akers needs to get 20 touches a week going forward, he's our best RB hands down. Play Henderson on 3rd down for his pass blocking and get Malcom off the field.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lots of talk about Goff and not enough about this. Doesn't seem like it's just at tackle either.

Edwards played great against SF. But McVay likes to run outside. If they cant do it successfully to the left defenses can edge defenders to the right and focus more on that side.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lots of talk about Goff and not enough about this. Doesn't seem like it's just at tackle either.

I think one of the reasons QBs get paid so much and RBs are so devalued is because a team can take away your run game. Period. They can put 11 guys in the box and no team will be able to run the ball.

But if teams dropped 11 into coverage and a QB had no pass rush, they would pick a defense apart.

Teams typically decide to take away our run game - that's what the 6 man front was about a few years ago. Sure, our OL have lost some battles too which makes it worse - but coming into a game against the Rams, most teams are going to focus on stopping the run

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think one of the reasons QBs get paid so much and RBs are so devalued is because a team can take away your run game. Period. They can put 11 guys in the box and no team will be able to run the ball.
765306D7-5245-4858-A54F-159069EFD3C7.jpeg

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

To be fair, we played a road game against the best rushing D in the league (who sold out to stop the run) and against another D that has a very stout front 7. The difference was that Goff had a decent game in the first instance.