Was Marc Bulger a good QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Meh. Both he and Warner were products of the system. Trent Green and Jamie Martin could have done the same until the league caught on. It was a revolutionary offense, and we all saw what happened to those two QBs when they had no surrounding talent.

Good QBs? Sure. Big deal though. So were Archie Manning, Jeff George, Jake Plummer, Rich Gannon, Tim Couch, Andrew Luck, and so on. If you don’t land in the right situation, you’re fucked. Or you can be a meh QB and hit jackpot. Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Nick Foles, etc.

The only truly GREAT QBs are Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana. The rest can be put in different tiers between very good to meh. Burger and Warner were good in small windows. Those other 3 were always great. Know why? Because their teams kept the same systems - tailored TO them - for basically their whole careers.

Change my mind.
Ill take Peyton Manning over any of those 3.

Manning played with a below average O line and ok weapons, but nothing special.
His defenses usually weren't very good either, yet he still won games.

Manning was an extremely rare talent.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

To be fair, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne are HOF caliber players, and Edgerrin James was a great player (in my opinion, not a HOF player). And Tarik Glenn and Jeff Saturday were great players on the O-line as well.

But I definitely understand why you'd take him; I'd take Peyton in his prime over any quarterback.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
To be fair, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne are HOF caliber players, and Edgerrin James was a great player (in my opinion, not a HOF player). And Tarik Glenn and Jeff Saturday were great players on the O-line as well.

But I definitely understand why you'd take him; I'd take Peyton in his prime over any quarterback.
Saturday was good, but beyond that, his o lines generally weren't.
Peyton was just an incredibly smart player that could disect any defense.

I agree that Wayne and Harrison were good. Especially Harrison.
James was good, but nothing extremely special.

Alot of teams have great players but still can't win.
Peyton had a way of just taking over a game that was unstoppable.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well okay, but the thread is actually *about* Bulger.

Goff aside, Marino is ABSOLUTELY in the class of Brady and Montana. Granted he never got a ring, but Flacco did. Does that, by extension, mean Flacco is better than Marino? I'm talking about pure ability, and there are very few QBs in history who can match his release time, ability to read the field, and arm strength.

Dan was fun to watch. He brought every game.You don’t throw for the yards he did without being great.

I remember some guys going to his last game just to be apart of that history. Bulger or Goff are HOF QB’s.
Would love to see Jared become one of those HOF QB’s. I know Brady still is putting up numbers and paving his way closer every game.

I go back to those days as play GM or Draftnik type guy. Loved watching Joe come out & back in the tunnel one last time as a ND QB. There were some great USC teams he had to compete against.

Don Shula was great & one of the Most Classic Coaches on Sunday’s.

Belacheat makes his own way.

Looking at Pete Carroll this last week I respect even more.Not going for it on 4th and inches was not a great play call though. -He brings players together & have to say I’ve watched a lot of football those early years.
I knew Dan Marino was going to be good just because of his Pitt(Donald) team. Tony was a Great who went the season before him.He was always a winner.
Tom Brady I believe Coach Carr left that season or next. He went with Brady who beat Bama in his last game.
The starting QB ahead of him played ball for the Yankees.
-I’d have to say my memory was half-way right here ?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. He absolutely belongs in that group. I don't know about "ok weapons" though, as Manning had some pretty all-world receivers in Harrison and Wayne. And yes, like Marino, Manning didn't need great O-lines. They could just read the field that well. Marino's release and arm strength though? Jeez. I still haven't seen anything like it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah, that was an oversight on my part. He absolutely belongs in that group. I don't know about "ok weapons" though, as Manning had some pretty all-world receivers in Harrison and Wayne. And yes, like Marino, Manning didn't need great O-lines. They could just read the field that well. Marino's release and arm strength though? Jeez. I still haven't seen anything like it.
My problem with Marino was his lack of touch.
He would fire missiles at guys 5 yards away and then rip them a new asshole for not catching it. Every pass just seemed to be a burn out contest.
Marino just bugged the shit out of me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I just know I wanted EJ to be a Ram.
Charlie Armey did great for Dickey V.

Trading for Faulk.Then Tory Holt. I think Tory Holt & Isaac Bruuuuce made both QB’s better .

Faulk played with Manning & couldn’t believe how bad they were with that kind of talent.

Peyton Manning & John Elway ended up being a Great combo.Elway winning a SuperBowl was classic.

Always wanted KC to win it first with Joe Montana & Marcus Allen.

Then with Trent Green & Dickey V. - and Gonzo(TG) plus there running game.

Derick Thomas was pretty awesome & as NFL(sports) history there are VERY VERY few Times a player ever goes like he did in his prime.
-Yes - I put him up there with LT.

Those

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Bulger was a very good quarterback who was on a very good team. Front office / coaching staff dysfunction resulted in the talent level around him going into a free fall and he paid a heavy price. There is a reason the word "Bulgerized" is in our vocabulary today.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Manning deserves top billing too. What he lacked in mobility and arm strength, he made up for in football genius. Dude didn't even need an OC, for the most part.
I agree with your statement in general. System and surrounding talent means everything. That is why I don't believe in the GOAT. To many variables involved.
For me, the best I ever saw play is Elway. He was Mahomes before Mahomes, when the NFL let QBs get creamed and leading your man across the middle could kill them. He drug denver to 2 super bowls when they had very mediocre talent. No body had a better set of tools and he had a number of system changes. And just for icing on the cake, he wore a knee brace his whole career because he never got his ACL repaired from a collage injury.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Arm strength? *flexes..I’m yur huckleberrY.... ~ Jeff George

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Point well taken -X-

What most of us on this board are concerned about is Jared Goff today. Not the old time all time greats like Montana or Brady.

Goff is still writing his story and no way would I agree that Marino was ever in the class of Brady or Montana.

It's all about the opinion though, so to each their own.

Goff will will either turn the page Monday night at Tampa or he will get whooping stick by his fans .

Jared_Goff_16_Marin_Catholic_W_2_grande.jpg

That would make a nice avatar if someone wants to grab this image, and use it. I guess reply with “dibs” if anyone uses it, to avoid a dupe.

F063DCDF-5186-4E85-BD1F-F74568911C28.png

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Bulger used to frustrate the hell outta me. Talk about consistency? He could never play a solid 4 quarters. He would play a good half then a shitty one, or a good quarter then a shitty one. I just remember being so frustrated by that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I still have PTSD from the PD days on this subject.

Having watched Bulger play in person a couple times plus watching him on TV.... I couldn't stand the guy. He threw one of the most beautiful long balls when he had a perfect pocket. He was extremely hit and miss on short and intermediate passes and at times couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He also defined the fetal position.

I remember watching him up in Seattle to start the season. The defense was kicking shecocks ass and the team was pumped. Bulger had open opportunity after open opportunity and was missing receivers by feet. You could see the team physically and emotionally melt.

Everett got credit for the infamous phantom sack but Bulger perfected it. And sorry... He had an O-line and weapons galore in his best year by wins and still threw as many INTs as TDs.

Lots of guys can throw a pretty pass. Bulger never had the rest of the tools to make him anything more than a perfect condition QB.

jap

Legend
Well okay, but the thread is actually *about* Bulger.

Goff aside, Marino is ABSOLUTELY in the class of Brady and Montana. Granted he never got a ring, but Flacco did. Does that, by extension, mean Flacco is better than Marino? I'm talking about pure ability, and there are very few QBs in history who can match his release time, ability to read the field, and arm strength.

Teams, not players, win championships!!! That's why it is ridiculous to even try to determine player greatness by counting championship rings. Many great players have toiled either on losing teams or teams that ultimately failed to win a championship.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bulger was a solid QB. Tough as hell. I still loved that ProBowl when he won MVP. He had terrific potential. But Martz ruined him by letting him get beat down week in and week out.

Martz has to go down as one of the best OCs and worst HC of all time.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As for Bulger, he was good...for a sixth round pick. Most sixth round picks flame out quickly, and it's not often that they become Pro Bowlers.

That said, Bulger benefitted from having Bruce, Holt, Marshall, Pace, and - in the later years - S-Jax.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Didn't read through all pages, but Bulger played very well in the 1st half of his career as a starter.

After Pace and Timmerman left the team he regressed so you could definitely fault the offensive line. But those last few years he was just a shell of his former self. I'll agree the system had a lot to do with it too. But without Pace and Timmerman the Rams were doomed. The journeymen/replacements for them were below average players.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Didn't read through all pages, but Bulger played very well in the 1st half of his career as a starter.

After Pace and Timmerman left the team he regressed so you could definitely fault the offensive line. But those last few years he was just a shell of his former self. I'll agree the system had a lot to do with it too. But without Pace and Timmerman the Rams were doomed. The journeymen/replacements for them were below average players.

2002-2006 Bulger started 60 games for the Rams (36-24)

He completed 1357 of 2106 (64.4%) for 16233 yds (7.71 yd/att) with 95 TDs (4.5%) and 59 Ints (2.8%) for a QB rating of 91.3, and he was sacked 165 times :shock: or 2.75 times a game. That's taking a beating.

There were plenty of factors why TGSOT went downhill so fast but IMHO, losing Az Hakim was the first step. Bulger never played with him.

Last edited:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
2002-2006 Bulger started 60 games for the Rams (36-24)

He completed 1357 of 2106 (64.4%) for 16233 yds (7.71 yd/att) with 95 TDs (4.5%) and 59 Ints (2.8%) for a QB rating of 91.3, and he was sacked 165 times :shock: or 2.75 times a game. That's taking a beating.

There were plenty of factors why TGSOT went downhill so fast but IMHO, losing Az Hakim was the first step. Bulger never played with him.

Nobody could stand in there like Kurt. That was a huge difference between the 2, among others. The loss of Az meant having 3 very good contributors at WR instead of 4. Proehl moved to 3rd and equaled Az's production, but no one could maintain that 4th WR spot after Az left. But yeah we can agree that basically after each loss of player we mentioned, Bulger became that much more disarmed in terms of weapons and protection.