Was Marc Bulger a good QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Yes he was , and so was Kurt and here's why,what Qb could have taken the pounding Kurt and Marc did ?.

Martz ran what was called Max Q I believe,7 step drops, 5 7 seconds holds, throwing and Wrs running double routes.

What other Qbs ever held to that ?

Montana nope and Welsh was running the new WCO with more HOFers than the Rams ever had. So when he won his 1st Superbowl.

He had 10 Pro bowl Pro bowl players, 3 on the line. AND A freaking D off the Charts with a HOF Coach, A legend.

Could Montana taken all the Shots Kurt did,Marc did and Yes the Whiners had a better team than the Rams in that ERA By Far.

Brady Could he have taken all the Shots of a Martz O,Nope Brady throws the 2 2.5 second short routes,he would have been out of the NFL years ago.

We all know about,the Cheating ,So.

Peyton is the smartest Qb Ever imho,Period.

And Marino Greatest Ball thrower ever he had a good line Wrs at times, Goof Coaching, but that lack of a SB ouch.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bulger was never as good as Warner once was...but he was better than Warner was at the time.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Bulger was never as good as Warner once was...but he was better than Warner was at the time.
Yeah Kurt was the 1 and Only that took us to the SB and Martz got him killed.

You know Bulger was the quickest to get 2 10 Thousand passing yard ?

Bulger might not have been the Top Elite stuff, but beatings he took from 2007 thru 2009,with some of the Worst Olines and,Wrs is incredible.

Bulger was 1 Tuff Dude just ask Bernie about the Marks Bruises on Bulger body when he took his jersey, pants off.

Marc stayed in when he had broken body parts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, you dont start with SB wins to determine QB "greatness" IMO. That's working backwards. Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Mark Rypien etc, were not better than Marino.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Well, you dont start with SB wins to determine QB "greatness" IMO. That's working backwards. Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Mark Rypien etc, were not better than Marino.
Sorry worded it wrong my Ram Bro and/or didn't explain it well enough.

I called Marino the Greatest Passer ,Ever, Right ?

So I basically called him the Greatest Throwing Qb Ever.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
2002-2006 Bulger started 60 games for the Rams (36-24)

He completed 1357 of 2106 (64.4%) for 16233 yds (7.71 yd/att) with 95 TDs (4.5%) and 59 Ints (2.8%) for a QB rating of 91.3, and he was sacked 165 times :shock: or 2.75 times a game. That's taking a beating.

There were plenty of factors why TGSOT went downhill so fast but IMHO, losing Az Hakim was the first step. Bulger never played with him.
The biggest reason TGSOT fell apart is Vermeil left. Without him it left the team dealing with a power struggle at the top. When the cheatriots were given the SB, Martz went paranoid and lost a lot of power which went to the Cap asshole who's name I forget. The rest is history.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
I’d classify Bulger as a good QB but certainly no where near the level of Warner. This is the way the Ram QB’s throughout the years stack up in my opinion:

Great (top tier) Ram QBs:
1. Kurt Warner
2. Norm Van Brocklin

Good (2nd tier) Ram QBs
1. Roman Gabriel
2. Marc Bulger
3. Jim Everett
4. Vince Ferragamo
5. Jared Goff

The Rest (bottom tier) Ram QBs
1. Pat Haden
2. Tony Banks
3. etc...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
To be fair, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne are HOF caliber players, and Edgerrin James was a great player (in my opinion, not a HOF player). And Tarik Glenn and Jeff Saturday were great players on the O-line as well.

But I definitely understand why you'd take him; I'd take Peyton in his prime over any quarterback.
His D is the only thing that kept him from being the (GOAT). Oh yeah, and the cheatin bastards from Boston

Antonius

Pro Bowler
Marc was good. But had we held on to Kurt, the same thing that eventually happened to Marc would have happened to Kurt too. Kurt would have never gotten his groove back in STL throwing to guys like Laurent Robinson and Donnie Avery.

Marc was hit and miss, but he had good understanding of Martz’s system and threw a great deep ball when he had time.

Also, when you’re talking most talented QB’s to ever play, you have to
mention the baaaaaaad maaaaan, Aaron Rodgers.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yes he was , and so was Kurt and here's why,what Qb could have taken the pounding Kurt and Marc did ?.

Martz ran what was called Max Q I believe,7 step drops, 5 7 seconds holds, throwing and Wrs running double routes.

What other Qbs ever held to that ?

Montana nope and Welsh was running the new WCO with more HOFers than the Rams ever had. So when he won his 1st Superbowl.

He had 10 Pro bowl Pro bowl players, 3 on the line. AND A freaking D off the Charts with a HOF Coach, A legend.

Could Montana taken all the Shots Kurt did,Marc did and Yes the Whiners had a better team than the Rams in that ERA By Far.

Brady Could he have taken all the Shots of a Martz O,Nope Brady throws the 2 2.5 second short routes,he would have been out of the NFL years ago.

We all know about,the Cheating ,So.

Peyton is the smartest Qb Ever imho,Period.

And Marino Greatest Ball thrower ever he had a good line Wrs at times, Goof Coaching, but that lack of a SB ouch.
The D. I mean without it, The D wins Championship. But for some reason it is forgotten when grading QBs. Brady pretty much had the best of all worlds. Including a League that catered to what ever the Cheatriots wanted. Even changing rules so he couldn't get hurt.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I’d classify Bulger as a good QB but certainly no where near the level of Warner. This is the way the Ram QB’s throughout the years stack up in my opinion:

Great (top tier) Ram QBs:
1. Kurt Warner
2. Norm Van Brocklin

Good (2nd tier) Ram QBs
1. Roman Gabriel
2. Marc Bulger
3. Jim Everett
4. Vince Ferragamo
5. Jared Goff

The Rest (bottom tier) Ram QBs
1. Pat Haden
2. Tony Banks
3. etc...

You forgot Bob Waterfield.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The only truly GREAT QBs are Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana.
Except there was Steve Young, who i feel was actually better than Joe(certainly not worse) and pretty much played in the same system through the Bill Walsh George Seifert transition.

I get your point though and FWIW i would put Elway as the #1 guy all time...all things being equal having all QB's in their ideal situation/system.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I liked Bulger enough. Martz was excellent at identifying QB's who could function in his system. Warner included.

I think McV would like a Marc Bulger in this current system.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Except there was Steve Young, who i feel was actually better than Joe(certainly not worse) and pretty much played in the same system through the Bill Walsh George Seifert transition.

I get your point though and FWIW i would put Elway as the #1 guy all time...all things being equal having all QB's in their ideal situation/system.
That’s why these things are subjective. Steve Young was very good, but he’s a dick so I don’t count him.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Meh. Both he and Warner were products of the system. Trent Green and Jamie Martin could have done the same until the league caught on. It was a revolutionary offense, and we all saw what happened to those two QBs when they had no surrounding talent.

Good QBs? Sure. Big deal though. So were Archie Manning, Jeff George, Jake Plummer, Rich Gannon, Tim Couch, Andrew Luck, and so on. If you don’t land in the right situation, you’re fucked. Or you can be a meh QB and hit jackpot. Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Nick Foles, etc.

The only truly GREAT QBs are Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana. The rest can be put in different tiers between very good to meh. Burger and Warner were good in small windows. Those other 3 were always great. Know why? Because their teams kept the same systems - tailored TO them - for basically their whole careers.

Change my mind.

Warner was a system QB lol. Who brought this guy?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry worded it wrong my Ram Bro and/or didn't explain it well enough.

I called Marino the Greatest Passer ,Ever, Right ?

So I basically called him the Greatest Throwing Qb Ever.
I wasnt quoting you, was making a general statement
You know Bulger was the quickest to get 2 10 Thousand passing yard ?
Quickest how? As a Ram? Took him 38 games to hit 10k. Warner did it in 35 starts, 36 if you count mop up duty in 98. Wasnt by age, Everett was 26, Bulger 28

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except Steve Young was handed a team with an in prime Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones and best FB in the game with Tom Rathman. That wasnt the team Montana had when he first came in the league. Young was a disaster with Tampa Bay and when Montana joined the 49ers, they were the Tampa Bay of that era. And as previously mentioned, Young is a dickhead. lol

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Bulger was good, yes. But ousting Warner was the worsted move the STL organization ever made.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner was a system QB lol. Who brought this guy?
Yeah he did great in the Giants system, and then had a 27-30 W/L record in AZ. And nobody brought me. I opened the place.