Was Marc Bulger a good QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The only truly GREAT QBs are Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana. The rest can be put in different tiers between very good to meh.

Point well taken -X-

What most of us on this board are concerned about is Jared Goff today. Not the old time all time greats like Montana or Brady.

Goff is still writing his story and no way would I agree that Marino was ever in the class of Brady or Montana.

It's all about the opinion though, so to each their own.

Goff will will either turn the page Monday night at Tampa or he will get whooping stick by his fans .

Jared_Goff_16_Marin_Catholic_W_2_grande.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Meh. Both he and Warner were products of the system. Trent Green and Jamie Martin could have done the same until the league caught on. It was a revolutionary offense, and we all saw what happened to those two QBs when they had no surrounding talent.

Good QBs? Sure. Big deal though. So were Archie Manning, Jeff George, Jake Plummer, Rich Gannon, Tim Couch, Andrew Luck, and so on. If you don’t land in the right situation, you’re fucked. Or you can be a meh QB and hit jackpot. Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Nick Foles, etc.

The only truly GREAT QBs are Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana. The rest can be put in different tiers between very good to meh. Burger and Warner were good in small windows. Those other 3 were always great. Know why? Because their teams kept the same systems - tailored TO them - for basically their whole careers.

Change my mind.

Seems like a contradiction.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
No. Bulger was a terrible QB. I'd take Goff any day of the week. Should've kept Warner and traded Bulger. We would've won at least one more SB.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Bulger was good until the fact that no draft capital and no top tier free agents came in to play offensive line for Mad Mike. By late 2003, Bulger was already throwing off his back foot wincing because he was about to get crushed by the pass rush. Deer in headlights syndrome, same as David Carr.

TexasRam

Legend
Bulger was good until the fact that no draft capital and no top tier free agents came in to play offensive line for Mad Mike. By late 2003, Bulger was already throwing off his back foot wincing because he was about to get crushed by the pass rush. Deer in headlights syndrome, same as David Carr.

Bulger did have inconsistent line play, which is the best arguement for him having subpar offenses. But the Holt and Bruce Combo of two Hall of Famers is quite the luxury. If he was a better QB he would have better results with that group. I can't think of a modern day WR group with two Potential Hall of Famers expect maybe Evans and Godwin who have a chance to get there one day.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Things like picking Donnie Avery over Desean Jackson or Joe Flopenstein over Big Whit are why Bulger wasn’t more successful. Those lines he had were awful and once Bruce left and Holts play declined, they were terrible at replacing them with capable players.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Bulger was a good QB. Goff is a good QB.

Warner was a very good QB who did great things.

Who are the great QBs?

Hard to say...

The best passers I’ve ever seen? Dan Marino, Aaron Rogers. Peyton Manning.

Best leaders? Joe Montana. Tom Brady.

All around athletes? John Elway. Randall Cunningham. Brett Favre.

Best today? Patrick Mahomes.

Greatness is the intersection of physical tools, skills, leadership, supporting cast, system, and a bit of luck.

Bulger was good and, sometimes...good is good enough.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bulged was a good QB .. he just had the unfortunate luck of being the replacement for Warner ...and Martz has a he who refused to change his game plan ever

tempests

Hall of Fame
For a sixth round pick he had a pretty good career. Playing in Martz's system did benefit him in terms of winning most of his starts his first two seasons. He was one of the highest rated passers in the NFL for a while. Faulk was still an effective player, Bruce and Holt were still among the league's best, Pace was still a top flight pass blocker.

Rams weren't as explosive as they had been but the passing game was still good enough to win with. He became a lightning rod for criticism though, and what his impatient critics always overlooked was the Rams Defense and special teams went to pot, and the offensive line followed shortly after. Throw in the dysfunction in the locker room and front office, poor drafting and free agent decisions and the Rams were on a steady decline to the outhouse.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Easy answer - is yes. History says he took over HOF QB Kurt Warner & has a successful career

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
After Bulger signed that big contract he never again played like a top 10 QB. Oline, and overall team, also fell in shambles afterwards, so that only aggravated the fall.

At his peak, with a decent Oline and wr's, Bulger earned every dollar of that lucrative contract and was a feared opponent.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Concur with @fearsomefour Bulger was very good QB and even better in the Wizard of Oz, however, Kurt Warner was the greatest QB in Ram history and only wished we had waited around for the second act.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Point well taken -X-

What most of us on this board are concerned about is Jared Goff today. Not the old time all time greats like Montana or Brady.

Goff is still writing his story and no way would I agree that Marino was ever in the class of Brady or Montana.
Well okay, but the thread is actually *about* Bulger.

Goff aside, Marino is ABSOLUTELY in the class of Brady and Montana. Granted he never got a ring, but Flacco did. Does that, by extension, mean Flacco is better than Marino? I'm talking about pure ability, and there are very few QBs in history who can match his release time, ability to read the field, and arm strength.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Montana, Marino, Peyton Manning. They're the elite of the elite. Brady doesn't count; he and Bellicheat are too tied together, and their legacy will forever be marred by cheating, in my honest opinion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Seems like a contradiction.
I know it seems that way, but let me explain. First, I have nothing against Warner or Bulger. I would marry Warner if I wasn't already spoken for, or if he was up for it. I don't mind Bulger either. I've long since gotten over my feelings about him supplanting Warner. He was a decent QB too. But here's the rub. One was undrafted, and the other a sixth rounder. It was the system & talent around them that made them, and the team's inability to keep that system & talent going (coach/GM both culpable) that ruined them. As such, neither were able to elevate themselves to the very top tier of QBs. Maybe they could have, maybe they couldn't have, but we'll never know. On the basis of pure talent, Bulger was good, Warner was very good, but neither were elite. IMO, of course.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Montana, Marino, Peyton Manning. They're the elite of the elite. Brady doesn't count; he and Bellicheat are too tied together, and their legacy will forever be marred by cheating, in my honest opinion.
Yeah, Manning deserves top billing too. What he lacked in mobility and arm strength, he made up for in football genius. Dude didn't even need an OC, for the most part.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, Manning deserves top billing too. What he lacked in mobility and arm strength, he made up for in football genius. Dude didn't even need an OC, for the most part.

He basically made Gase's career. That's as elite as you can get.