Was Marc Bulger a good QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Out of curiosity, was Marc Bulger a good QB or did he benefit from having Bruce and Holt as his targets? The running game featured Faulk in for a bit then SJax afterwards. Just thought I’d ask the question...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, he was good. He was good enough to run Martz's offense, but his Oline wasn't good enough and Martz's offense itself was getting figured out and he was getting bludgeoned.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes but he just wasn't as good as warner.
Of course he wasn't, but that wasn't the question the OP posed. Warner had a spark of greatness that Bulger didn't seem to have. Oh Bulger would gun the ball down the field, but you didn't feel like you felt with Kurt in the same situation. I expected Kurt to do something great in crunch time, and he often did.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yes, he had some good years and got beat down in the process. Took too much shit when it was the idiots in suits that ruined the team more than he ever did.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
get in here @-X- , this is your kind of conversation..

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Of course he wasn't, but that wasn't the question the OP posed. Warner had a spark of greatness that Bulger didn't seem to have. Oh Bulger would gun the ball down the field, but you didn't feel like you felt with Kurt in the same situation. I expected Kurt to do something great in crunch time, and he often did.

Things being equal, I'd trade Goff for Bulger today and not look back.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
A nice flash from the past post and yes he was a pretty good QB.

Some could argue he was very underrated.

As good as your divergent post is..... It's hard to get deep into this subject.

This is such a big game Monday night and our current QB Jared Goff has a chance to take a step past the Bulger's of the NFL and get himself in the conversation of the Warner's with a momentum run over these last 7 games.

7426e-16056722542085-800.jpg

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah. He was pretty good.
He had more than enough accuracy and arm strength and a lightning fast release.
He had zero mobility, and the scheme he operated meant he was taking a beating without an above average O-line.
By the time his skills regressed, he been pummeled constantly for a couple seasons.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yes he was good just not as good as Warner.

Correct. But he was better than Warner in 2002 and 2003. Of course Kurt had a bum thumb.

Maybe? I think Goff is more durable than Bulger was, although it's hard to know for sure.

I think they are both tough SOB's and they both get the same bad wrap....."no leadership abilities'.....yet team mates love them. I think we were in good hands with Bulger and I think we're in good hands with Goff.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if the Rams had picked Andrew Whitworth in 2006 instead of Joe Klopfenstein in the 2nd round that year. A young Whit might have saved Bulger from a lot of hits.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if the Rams had picked Andrew Whitworth in 2006 instead of Joe Klopfenstein in the 2nd round that year. A young Whit might have saved Bulger from a lot of hits.
Joe CU Buff Klopfenstein...argh. I am a Colorado guy and his pick so high killed me. Head scratcher at best.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Meh. Both he and Warner were products of the system. Trent Green and Jamie Martin could have done the same until the league caught on. It was a revolutionary offense, and we all saw what happened to those two QBs when they had no surrounding talent.

Good QBs? Sure. Big deal though. So were Archie Manning, Jeff George, Jake Plummer, Rich Gannon, Tim Couch, Andrew Luck, and so on. If you don’t land in the right situation, you’re fucked. Or you can be a meh QB and hit jackpot. Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Nick Foles, etc.

The only truly GREAT QBs are Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana. The rest can be put in different tiers between very good to meh. Burger and Warner were good in small windows. Those other 3 were always great. Know why? Because their teams kept the same systems - tailored TO them - for basically their whole careers.

Change my mind.

TexasRam

Legend
Burger was one of the most frustrating Rams QB’s for me to watch and I started with Par Haden in ‘79.

My problem with Bulger is he took so many sacks. Sometimes over 40+ a year. He processed too slow and couldn’t throw with anticipation. Both of which Goff is excellent at.

For a Qb who had two hall of fame WR’s for 5 years and Faulk for two years, Bulger was underwhelming. The falloff from Kurt Warner was dramatic.

Bulger to me was on par with an Andy Dalton. He wasn’t a bum but he wasn’t great. Another comparison might be Jimmy G.

TexasRam

Legend
Meh. Both he and Warner were products of the system. Trent Green and Jamie Martin could have done the same until the league caught on. It was a revolutionary offense, and we all saw what happened to those two QBs when they had no surrounding talent.

Good QBs? Sure. Big deal though. So were Archie Manning, Jeff George, Jake Plummer, Rich Gannon, Tim Couch, Andrew Luck, and so on. If you don’t land in the right situation, you’re fucked. Or you can be a meh QB and hit jackpot. Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Nick Foles, etc.

The only truly GREAT QBs are Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana. The rest can be put in different tiers between very good to meh. Burger and Warner were good in small windows. Those other 3 were always great. Know why? Because their teams kept the same systems - tailored TO them - for basically their whole careers.

Change my mind.
Joe Montana had the greatest WR of all time and the very definition of a system around him. That same system won Super Bowls after Montana and carried on with even greater QB stats after Montana left.

Kurt Warner had an MVP type season with Arizona in a completely different system reviving a terrible franchise and leading them to a Super Bowl.