Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I stand corrected too, Russell Wilson ran for 539 yards in 2013
So maybe all time history doesnt favor the running QB, but recent history does. Rodgers, Wilson and Mahomes all have rings, and all have wheels.
True, but pocket passers like Brady, Foles, Brees, Flacco and the Manning brothers have won more.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but pocket passers like Brady, Foles, Brees, Flacco and the Manning brothers have won more.
And they are almost all out of the league now, while some of the running QB's are just getting started.
I think putting a blanket statement on whether a type can win or not is just silly. Both styles can win.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
And they are almost all out of the league now, while some of the running QB's are just getting started.
I think putting a blanket statement on whether a type can win or not is just silly. Both styles can win.
Never said a running QB can't win. I said that historically, running QBs have not been the most successful, and they tend to have shorter shelf lives.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never said a running QB can't win. I said that historically, running QBs have not been the most successful, and they tend to have shorter shelf lives.
And recent history says otherwise.
The shorter shelf life is just not true.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
And recent history says otherwise.
The shorter shelf life is just not true.
The last 10 Super Bowl winning QBs:

2020: Brady (pocket passer)
2019: Mahomes (mobile/running QB)
2018: Brady (pocket passer)
2017: Foles (pocket passer)
2016: Brady (pocket passer)
2015: P.Manning (pocket passer)
2014: Brady (pocket passer)
2013: Wilson (mobile/running QB)
2012: Flacco (pocket passer)
2011: E.Manning (pocket passer)

I could also show examples that demonstrate that running QBs tend to have trouble maintaining their elite status over time, but I'm too busy enjoying a Ram victory (were you aware that the Rams played today?).

Have a nice evening.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The last 10 Super Bowl winning QBs:

2020: Brady (pocket passer)
2019: Mahomes (mobile/running QB)
2018: Brady (pocket passer)
2017: Foles (pocket passer)
2016: Brady (pocket passer)
2015: P.Manning (pocket passer)
2014: Brady (pocket passer)
2013: Wilson (mobile/running QB)
2012: Flacco (pocket passer)
2011: E.Manning (pocket passer)

I could also show examples that demonstrate that running QBs tend to have trouble maintaining their elite status over time, but I'm too busy enjoying a Ram victory (were you aware that the Rams played today?).

Have a nice evening.
This isn’t proving anything.
How many “drop back passers” entered the league vs “running qb “
It’s such a silly argument. The idea that running qb wins less because of old data is archaic thinking.
Is it elite status or SB wins? Because drop back passers have lost the most SB’s according to your list too
Just silly

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
This isn’t proving anything.
How many “drop back passers” entered the league vs “running qb “
It’s such a silly argument. The idea that running qb wins less because of old data is archaic thinking.
Is it elite status or SB wins? Because drop back passers have lost the most SB’s according to your list too
Just silly
If in the last 10 years only 2 running/mobile QBs have won the super bowl, and your response is that in those same 10 years, most of the losing QBs were also not running running/QBs, then isn't that an admission that most of the QBs that even get to the super bowl are not running/mobile QBs? Sounds like if we want a good chance of even getting to the super bowl we want a pocket passer, according to what you stated anyway.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I just want us to go to Disneyland folks. I could give 2 shits if it's a one testicle QB, just get the Rams there, I'm not picky :LOL:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Here is his latest start if you were unable to see the last game.

View: https://youtu.be/4Aujxc3AJFk

Thank you for this.

I have to say as a Rams fan I was extremely pleased at the way Lance played in that game. An athlete playing quarterback, not a fluid natural passer. Very inaccurate- throws are high making receivers jump for everything. Run first mentality. That’s exactly what I saw looking at video of him in college.

That is awesome!

Hopefully he stays right where he is now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I just want us to go to Disneyland folks. I could give 2 shits if it's a one testicle QB, just get the Rams there, I'm not picky :LOL:

What if it's a lady leading the team? Would you give two shits then? :p ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If in the last 10 years only 2 running/mobile QBs have won the super bowl, and your response is that in those same 10 years, most of the losing QBs were also not running running/QBs, then isn't that an admission that most of the QBs that even get to the super bowl are not running/mobile QBs? Sounds like if we want a good chance of even getting to the super bowl we want a pocket passer, according to what you stated anyway.
The goal posts keep getting moved.
"History" says running QB dont win SB, however recent history does. So showing a list of the likes of the Mannings, Foles, Brady doesnt show a trend, it shows they were successful QB. I'm willing to bet that Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and the slew of "running QB's" in the game today have a better chance of winning a SB in the next 10 years than that list.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The goal posts keep getting moved.
"History" says running QB dont win SB, however recent history does. So showing a list of the likes of the Mannings, Foles, Brady doesnt show a trend, it shows they were successful QB. I'm willing to bet that Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers and the slew of "running QB's" in the game today have a better chance of winning a SB in the next 10 years than that list.
I didn't mean to shift the goal post. Sorry about that.

As far as the next ten years, that will take someone smarter than me who pays more attention to the college game. It feels like, from my limited protective using only anecdotal evidence, that more running QBs are coming out of college. Fewer of them are traditional pocket passers and of those even fewer are of the quality we used to get. Where we previously had Brees, Brady, both Mannings, Warner, and other great pocket passers in the league at the same time along with a number of high quality but not quite super bowl winning/attending talents that were pocket passers in the league at the same time, we're not seeing that now. Fewer of them will be available which means now running QBs will be in and winning the super bowl. Not because they're better, but because there simply isn't a focus in HS and college on developing a pocket passer. Why do that when you can get an athletic kid to beat teams with his legs. His health problems won't start until late college or early in his NFL career and they aren't concerned with the kid's long term success.

EDIT: stupid auto correct!

Last edited:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
It makes this season so much better knowing that the SF/Seattle flops this year will not result in them having a great 1st round pick in 2022 — enjoy those picks Dolphins & Jets!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't mean to shift the goal post. Sorry about that.

As far as the next ten years, that will take someone smarter than me who pays more attention to the college game. It feels like, from my limited protective using only anecdotal evidence, that more running QBs are coming out of college. Fewer of them are traditional pocket passers and of those even fewer are of the quality we used to get. Where we previously had Brees, Brady, both Mannings, Warner, and other great pocket passers in the league at the same time along with a number of high quality but not quite super bowl winning/attending talents that were pocket passers in the league at the same time, we're not seeing that now. Fewer of them will be available which means now running QBs will be in and winning the super bowl. Not because they're better, but because there simply isn't a focus in HS and college on developing a pocket passer. Why do that when you can get an athletic kid to beat teams with his legs. His health problems won't start until late college or early in his NFL career and they aren't concerned with the kid's long term success.

EDIT: stupid auto correct!
I totally agree here which is why I dont think looking at the previous 10-20 years results gives any sort of indication as to what "type" is more prone to winning.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I totally agree here which is why I dont think looking at the previous 10-20 years results gives any sort of indication as to what "type" is more prone to winning.
I think asking which type we're more likely to see win in the next 10 years and which type would have more success are totally different questions. I stand by the notion that a properly supported pocket passer will have a longer more successful career on average than a QB that includes running as a significant part of his game. The reason we won't see that over the next 10 years is that we won't have enough of them to give them a real chance to be successful.

In 10 years we're probably only going to have 10 pocket passers in the league, tops. Of those, 1 is going to be Matt Ryan or better. I just don't think colleges are producing enough pocket passers to surpass that number. That one will be successful as but competing against 22 or more running QBs, the odds that a pocket passer wins the super bowl any year are low. The odds of a deep playoff run by one are low, simply sure to the numbers game and not the individual talent or who's actually putting the team in a better place to win.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think asking which type we're more likely to see win in the next 10 years and which type would have more success are totally different questions. I stand by the notion that a properly supported pocket passer will have a longer more successful career on average than a QB that includes running as a significant part of his game. The reason we won't see that over the next 10 years is that we won't have enough of them to give them a real chance to be successful.

In 10 years we're probably only going to have 10 pocket passers in the league, tops. Of those, 1 is going to be Matt Ryan or better. I just don't think colleges are producing enough pocket passers to surpass that number. That one will be successful as but competing against 22 or more running QBs, the odds that a pocket passer wins the super bowl any year are low. The odds of a deep playoff run by one are low, simply sure to the numbers game and not the individual talent or who's actually putting the team in a better place to win.
This is where it feels like the goal posts are being moved.
My input in this thread is to the fact that a list of the last 10-20 years doesnt support the premise that the DP passer is more successful than the "running" QB. Because it doesnt. What it does show is 3 running QB's are in their prime with chances to win again, and a bunch of retired guys & guys who are 1 step away from being out of the league. Then there is a young crop of running QB's who look to grab a title themself.
You're right, the game has changed and players arent just written off any more because they can run the ball, arent 6'5 or that they didnt at a big school.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
QBs who are big/strong and can run like RBs are doomed to get injured and destroyed by NFL defenses.

QBs who are elusive and can run like a WR avoid hits when they run and get down rather than take on hits….thus the ability to last a long time.
True. There's a reason RBs have a short shelf life. They generally run with power into the defense trying to break tackles if there's no gaping hole. They also play through shoulder pain that you don't want your starting QB having to throw through.

Getting sacked by 300 lb linemen is bad enough. Scrambling is one thing. Trying to power through a defense is completely different.

In this latest game where Lance got injured, he was running head on into the defense on several plays.

That is asking for an injury no matter how big and strong you are.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
It's amazing how much things can change in two years. Two years ago the Niners were rolling and Jimmy G had their QB position stable. Who knows what will be the case two years from now.