Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm just glad that the 9ers blew their wad, so they have basically ZERO ammo for the next few years to fix this situation... They can either grin and bear it with a mix of Jimmy G and Trey Lance or hope a QB comes up in FA...which almost never happens.

Anyone wonder if they're upset they didn't grab Brady now?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
This is where it feels like the goal posts are being moved.
My input in this thread is to the fact that a list of the last 10-20 years doesnt support the premise that the DP passer is more successful than the "running" QB. Because it doesnt. What it does show is 3 running QB's are in their prime with chances to win again, and a bunch of retired guys & guys who are 1 step away from being out of the league. Then there is a young crop of running QB's who look to grab a title themself.
You're right, the game has changed and players arent just written off any more because they can run the ball, arent 6'5 or that they didnt at a big school.
It's not moving the goal posts because I addressed the fact that it's 2 different questions. One question is which style allows more team success (and therefore chances at a super bowl). The second question is which style are we most likely to see going forward. I addressed both. No goal posts were moved. I simply pointed out that there's goal posts at both ends of the field, and they aren't the same goal post.

I believe that when properly developed, the pocket passer gives a team the highest likelihood of long term success. That's why it was the dominant model. It made sense to develop that over a couple of years to have the greatest chance for success and make a name as the place that great QBs came from.

I also believe that will see predominantly running/mobile QBs going forward. It's a faster turnaround to enough success to win in college and HS, long term be damned. They need to win now to make money now. The NFL and it's needs is none of their concern.

Two very stationary goal posts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thirteen pages of jibber jabber and it all boils down to this.... Trey Lance BLOWS! ~ den and me

@den-the-coach
Laurel Lance would be better but that’s JMHO.

1635389080868.jpeg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There’s a lot to read, so pick a page. Link below.

Lots of dissatisfaction with Shanahan grooming Lance.

Most feel their season is over.

Lance is their only hope. Concern about where he‘s at.

Lots of holes around the QB position, and no premium draft picks.

Interesting to read.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Interesting predicament for the San Francisco 49ers....It now appears that the Jimmy Garoppolo era is near the end of it's run and will Kyle Shanahan allow Trey Lance to dance the rest of the year? Overall, I go with the kid and live & die with his ups and downs.

IMO, Lance has talent, but it's going to take a few years so one can only hope that the 49ers keep Lynch and make a change at Head Coach, but it's doubtful. Hopefully, Lance crash & burns and it sets their franchise back for several years, but that's just me.

It's not moving the goal posts because I addressed the fact that it's 2 different questions. One question is which style allows more team success (and therefore chances at a super bowl). The second question is which style are we most likely to see going forward. I addressed both. No goal posts were moved. I simply pointed out that there's goal posts at both ends of the field, and they aren't the same goal post.

I believe that when properly developed, the pocket passer gives a team the highest likelihood of long term success. That's why it was the dominant model. It made sense to develop that over a couple of years to have the greatest chance for success and make a name as the place that great QBs came from.

I also believe that will see predominantly running/mobile QBs going forward. It's a faster turnaround to enough success to win in college and HS, long term be damned. They need to win now to make money now. The NFL and it's needs is none of their concern.

Two very stationary goal posts.

I agree with you on the pocket passer being more likely to have long term success. I don't mind if the passer can avoid a sack and be smart like Russel or Rodgers...but running because a play calls you to do so is just asking for it. Lamar Jackson is going to get drilled one day and that will be it for him I am afraid. I think Kyler Murray has the right idea..just get away from the rush and make a play or get out of bounds.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm just glad that the 9ers blew their wad, so they have basically ZERO ammo for the next few years to fix this situation... They can either grin and bear it with a mix of Jimmy G and Trey Lance or hope a QB comes up in FA...which almost never happens.

All is not lost for them. Maybe there is another Sean McVay out there somewhere. :sunglasses:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm so sad about Trey Lance sucking ...no, really ... why are you guys laughing? Do you not believe me???

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

They might have gotten Stafford had it not been for the Cabo conspiracy and the Rams upping, then closing the deal on Saturday night while the Niners were waiting for business hours on Monday.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They might have gotten Stafford had it not been for the Cabo conspiracy and the Rams upping, then closing the deal on Saturday night while the Niners were waiting for business hours on Monday.

Actually no.

The Lions had a preliminary deal done with Carolina. As a matter of fact, after getting back from Cabo, Stafford was preparing to fly to Charlotte to take his physical when the Rams upped the offer and won out. Carolina was more than a little upset, but it was all done fairly.

Preliminarily, the scuttlebutt was that the 9ers were willing to offer 2 x 2nd rounders and as we can see, that was nowhere close to being an appropriate offer. That would have left the Lions with no QB and not nearly enough draft capital to get a QB AND the pieces he'd need as they were losing both Marvin Jones and Kenny Galladay.

If anything, had the Rams not stepped up, the order was Charlotte, Indy, LA... and SF never really got serious no matter how much Kyle ran tape on Stafford. LA won out because we had Goff and we offered among the most picks (I think Charlotte's offer was slightly better, but didn't have Goff which will allow the Lions focus on team building. Turns out this is a GREAT draft if you don't need a top of the draft QB and the Lions can make do with Goff ).

However, they were seriously holding out for a chance to get either Rodgers or Watson and when neither proved possible, they shot their wad on Trey Lance... they spent more than you'd spend on a legit, franchise overall #1 pick and got a project...

I don't wish the kid ill, but I'm not upset that they used all of that draft capital and it looks unlikely to work out which will set them back for 4-5 years at least... and no way Kyle Shanahan survives with his record on a steady diet of "we're super injured" and "tough division".

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Actually no.

The Lions had a preliminary deal done with Carolina. As a matter of fact, after getting back from Cabo, Stafford was preparing to fly to Charlotte to take his physical when the Rams upped the offer and won out. Carolina was more than a little upset, but it was all done fairly.

Preliminarily, the scuttlebutt was that the 9ers were willing to offer 2 x 2nd rounders and as we can see, that was nowhere close to being an appropriate offer. That would have left the Lions with no QB and not nearly enough draft capital to get a QB AND the pieces he'd need as they were losing both Marvin Jones and Kenny Galladay.

If anything, had the Rams not stepped up, the order was Charlotte, Indy, LA... and SF never really got serious no matter how much Kyle ran tape on Stafford. LA won out because we had Goff and we offered among the most picks (I think Charlotte's offer was slightly better, but didn't have Goff which will allow the Lions focus on team building. Turns out this is a GREAT draft if you don't need a top of the draft QB and the Lions can make do with Goff ).

However, they were seriously holding out for a chance to get either Rodgers or Watson and when neither proved possible, they shot their wad on Trey Lance... they spent more than you'd spend on a legit, franchise overall #1 pick and got a project...

I don't wish the kid ill, but I'm not upset that they used all of that draft capital and it looks unlikely to work out which will set them back for 4-5 years at least... and no way Kyle Shanahan survives with his record on a steady diet of "we're super injured" and "tough division".
Actually... Here's what The Sporting News reported:

On a recent episode of The Ringer's "Flying Coach" podcast, Shanahan explained just how close the 49ers were to making a move for the former Lions quarterback on the night that he landed in a Rams uniform.​

"You don't want to get me started, dude. That was frustrating. I was actually in Cabo, I was watching it all. I had never studied Stafford that hard. I remember looking through it and everyone was telling me it was a possibility. Stafford's the man, I studied him hard coming out of college, and we always used to play against him, so you know how good he is. But to know he might be available, and then spend two weeks really watching him, Sean? Yeah. He's better than I had realized. He was the man, and he's underrated to me. …​
I was trying to get involved in it. Someone who had knowledge on the situation — I was talking to (Tom) Condon and everyone to find out when it was happening. I remember on Saturday, I was so stressed out, and finally we talked to someone and it was like 7 at night, and they were like, "No, nothing's happening at the earliest till tomorrow. So you can finish your night." So I'm like, "All right, I'm done." Put my phone down, talk to Mandy, "Let's go out to dinner, let's have some drinks."​
A half an hour later, a buddy of mine calls me, he's like, "I'm just telling you, if you want Stafford, you need to get ahold of him right now." And I'm like, "What do you mean? We just talked to people, I can sleep on this, we'll talk to 'em tomorrow." "I'm just telling you, you need to talk to him right now." And I knew it, and I turned on my phone, and it was all over. It wasn't fun."​

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ed-matthew-stafford/aolw3248sfnl16i9vma8gcmy9

And actually... The Niners could have out bid us had they wanted to since they held the 2021 #3 pick they used on Trey Lance and had a starting qb they could have unloaded. And the Niners had to have known they were not getting Rodgers or Watson (at that time) or Stafford for two second round picks. They were just too slow to act when it counted.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Interesting predicament for the San Francisco 49ers....It now appears that the Jimmy Garoppolo era is near the end of it's run and will Kyle Shanahan allow Trey Lance to dance the rest of the year? Overall, I go with the kid and live & die with his ups and downs.

IMO, Lance has talent, but it's going to take a few years so one can only hope that the 49ers keep Lynch and make a change at Head Coach, but it's doubtful. Hopefully, Lance crash & burns and it sets their franchise back for several years, but that's just me.
Trey Lance is awesome. Best young QB I've seen in years! The Niners just have to give him 5-7 years for him to develop and get enough playing experience. LOL

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Do they have much choice? Can they develop Lance without giving him any snaps? But, man if they trade Garapolo then they've got no fall back. To think, that roster was very good three years ago and is still pretty good if they had kept Buckner. It seems their dream is crumbling as we speak.

I find it interesting that early reports were that Shanahan liked Mac Jones. He's looking pretty good right now. So, who made the final decision? Lynch, Shanahan or somewhere in between? Jones and Lance seem to be a mile apart. How does that evaluation happen? And how does New England end up with what looks like the best QB in the draft? Is it possible that the league interferes with the draft when it suits them? It just seems a bit odd how it worked out.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Do they have much choice? Can they develop Lance without giving him any snaps? But, man if they trade Garapolo then they've got no fall back. To think, that roster was very good three years ago and is still pretty good if they had kept Buckner. It seems their dream is crumbling as we speak.

I find it interesting that early reports were that Shanahan liked Mac Jones. He's looking pretty good right now. So, who made the final decision? Lynch, Shanahan or somewhere in between? Jones and Lance seem to be a mile apart. How does that evaluation happen? And how does New England end up with what looks like the best QB in the draft? Is it possible that the league interferes with the draft when it suits them? It just seems a bit odd how it worked out.
I don't care, as long as the whiners are screwed. LOL

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

49ers will never admit it, but their fan base were anti Mac Jones, they were. Every social media site plus every 49er fan I conversed with (10 in total) did not want Jones. Did Lynch & 49er ownership cave to their fan base? That is the question? Overall, I still believe Lance has major upside, but I concur with @Steve808 I hope he takes 7 years to develop.