Trey Lance has been a disappointment for the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
As of now, Bryce Perkins looks like a better prospect than Trey Lance and is in a better situation because he can develop behind Stafford. Unfortunately, I doubt we will see him in horns but would not bet against him starting and winning elsewhere

JYB

Starter
For all the excitement that QBs who can run the ball can produce, the fact remains that there has never been a Super Bowl winning QB who, in his championship season, rushed for 300 yards (The record is Steve Young: 293 yards in 1994). Though we may see that record broken in the coming years, the reality remains that QBs tend to have longer and more successful NFL careers if they don't rely on the run.
QBs in Young's day were not nearly as protected as they are today -- you can't breathe heavily on a QB without getting a flag. If you're smart about it, you can have a long and very good career as a running QB. Russell Wilson has had a long, successful career as a scrambling, running QB. On the other hand, Lamar Jackson seems to me to be more reckless in his running and I could see his career cut short because of that.

As for Lance, he does not look like a natural passer to me. In fact, he reminds me a lot of Steve McNair. Solidly built, strong runner, similar throwing motion, but not a dynamic passer. He MAY be able to overcome his accuracy issues, his long, winding, telegraphic throwing motion, learn to read defenses and and go through progressions quickly, etc. But I wouldn't bet on it. I see a major bust. Glad he's not our problem.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Seems like there’s the Wentz-Lance style running qb and the Lamar-Kyler style, the Wentz-Lance seems to not be able to stay on the field thus far.
I would say the second is a Wilson/Murray style. Jackson takes way more hits than them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would say the second is a Wilson/Murray style. Jackson takes way more hits than them.
I don’t know where you come up with Murray & Wilson. Those QB’s are different in themselves.Then again if
AD99 could’ve found his jock then Murray might have been sacked.
Russell is out because he stayed in the pocket.Murray is harder to contain.AD99 has made a living off of Wilson.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don’t know where you come up with Murray & Wilson. Those QB’s are different in themselves.Then again if
AD99 could’ve found his jock then Murray might have been sacked.
Russell is out because he stayed in the pocket.Murray is harder to contain.AD99 has made a living off of Wilson.
The comment was on types of runner different QBs are. Wilson and Murray are both noted for avoiding contact. They're real "scrambling" QBs in the Tarkenton tradition. Lance, stylewise as a runner, is much more like a Wentz in that he doesn't avoid contact in the same way.

Thanks, though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The comment was on types of runner different QBs are. Wilson and Murray are both noted for avoiding contact. They're real "scrambling" QBs in the Tarkenton tradition. Lance, stylewise as a runner, is much more like a Wentz in that he doesn't avoid contact in the same way.

Thanks, though.

Then we’re does Mike Vick,Cam,Randall, McNabb,Young,Elway fit in this
running QB types ?

Time will tell,but these guys all have a style of there own. Mahomes is WAY more like Fran.Murray is closer to L.Jackson,so put it as you want to ?

Russell would be more like Elway imo.

Lance who knows.He has only played in a dozen games as a college/nfl starter in a whole.Once he plays The Rams then I look closer at the type of QB he’ll be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
For all the excitement that QBs who can run the ball can produce, the fact remains that there has never been a Super Bowl winning QB who, in his championship season, rushed for 300 yards (The record is Steve Young: 293 yards in 1994)
Who i still maintain is the best dual threat QB ever when you add it all up and start checking boxes with all these guys today.
-Winner
-Competitor
-Intelligence
-Arm, accuracy, strength
-Dangerous runner
-Leadership
-Athleticism
-Speed
-Toughness
-Durability

Niner fucker.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
As for Lance, he does not look like a natural passer to me. In fact, he reminds me a lot of Steve McNair. Solidly built, strong runner, similar throwing motion, but not a dynamic passer. He MAY be able to overcome his accuracy issues, his long, winding, telegraphic throwing motion, learn to read defenses and and go through progressions quickly, etc. But I wouldn't bet on it. I see a major bust. Glad he's not our problem.
He seems generally slow to me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Here is his latest start if you were unable to see the last game.

View: https://youtu.be/4Aujxc3AJFk

Meh he doesn't really do much for me. I'm sure he'll be at least a little better after more experience, but I dunno, if I was a Niner fan I don't think I'd see that and get super excited about him.

I don't really care for the designed QB runs like you see a lot in college personally, and he doesn't even seem super fast or elusive like you see with Jackson or others. If he would work on his drop back game maybe, but otherwise colour me unimpressed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Meh he doesn't really do much for me. I'm sure he'll be at least a little better after more experience, but I dunno, if I was a Niner fan I don't think I'd see that and get super excited about him.

I don't really care for the designed QB runs like you see a lot in college personally, and he doesn't even seem super fast or elusive like you see with Jackson or others. If he would work on his drop back game maybe, but otherwise colour me unimpressed.

Yeah and tbh he just looks like a rookie. Has to learn you can't overthrow guys over the middle, ball security, quit focusing on rush, get through reads, etc. The shitters' OL also doesn't look too good on protections, though part of that is the QB. Defenses are like sharks with blood in the water when they think the QB isn't locked in with reads and hots.

Gonna have to wait and hope that he doesn't want to do the work and/or has some sort of deficiency. It'll have to be mental though because he's got all the physical tools.

Mac Jones thus far looks much more like an NFL QB. Not surprising and long way to go but I like how things look so far for Operation Niners Dicked Their Pick. :beer2::laugh4:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

He's fast and athletic... And you see those moments... He also looks a little "scittish" out there.

His accuracy is inconsistent and you keep seeing that each week too.

As a Rams fan of course I want this to work out badly for the 49'ers. At this point... It's more on that track than not.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For all the excitement that QBs who can run the ball can produce, the fact remains that there has never been a Super Bowl winning QB who, in his championship season, rushed for 300 yards (The record is Steve Young: 293 yards in 1994). Though we may see that record broken in the coming years, the reality remains that QBs tend to have longer and more successful NFL careers if they don't rely on the run.
Aaron Rodgers had 356 yards rushing with 4 td in 2010.
Best running QB until Mahomes came along

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Aaron Rodgers had 356 yards rushing with 4 td in 2010.
Best running QB until Mahomes came along
I stand corrected.

Of course, the point is the same…true “running QBs” have generally not been the ones they win it all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The way to be an athletic QB and survive for a long career is to scramble around to buy time to throw. Elway is the QB whose film I'd put on for a young QB who has good wheels. He'd move around, buy time, then gun that shit for first down after first down to break the defense's spirit.

You still gotta be a clutch thrower as well like Elway was to take advantage. But it's the right approach for all these guys who move well and have enough arm to do it.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
QBs who are big/strong and can run like RBs are doomed to get injured and destroyed by NFL defenses.

QBs who are elusive and can run like a WR avoid hits when they run and get down rather than take on hits….thus the ability to last a long time.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
QBs who are big/strong and can run like RBs are doomed to get injured and destroyed by NFL defenses.

QBs who are elusive and can run like a WR avoid hits when they run and get down rather than take on hits….thus the ability to last a long time.
Amen to that - it’s why Russ Wilson has been so frustrating to play against his whole career. It will be interesting to see how Kyler Murray goes. He is improving as a passer each week, but hasn’t eliminated all of the reckless runs from his game yet

Flint

Pro Bowler
The way they avoid big hits is very different though, at this stage of his career Russ is just gonna slide whereas Murray will do his best to break your ankles or beat you to the corner.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I stand corrected.

Of course, the point is the same…true “running QBs” have generally not been the ones they win it all.
I stand corrected too, Russell Wilson ran for 539 yards in 2013
So maybe all time history doesnt favor the running QB, but recent history does. Rodgers, Wilson and Mahomes all have rings, and all have wheels.