Top Secret Gurley Knee Info Revealed Here!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
He was injured week 1 and it showed in week 2. But not from week 3 through 15 when he was injured against the Eagles. Sat out the next two games. Nearly a month later teamed with C.J. Anderson against a Dallas defense that gave the Rams offense a tell that both Gurley and Anderson used to great effect. That was essentially it for Gurley as his stats for the conference and Super Bowl championship games show.
So you know for a fact that he was hurt in the Philadelphia game which forced him to sit out the last 2 games? Or did he sit out to rest for the playoffs because he was worn out throughout the season?

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
So you know for a fact that he was hurt in the Philadelphia game which forced him to sit out the last 2 games? Or did he sit out to rest for the playoffs because he was worn out throughout the season?
Did you see the game? He was injured against the Eagles. Your star RB doesn't sit for nearly a month with HFA throughout the playoffs at stake unless he was injured.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...o-have-him-ready-for-rams-opener-vs-panthers/

Todd Gurley on knee injury: 'This is small,' plan is to have him ready for Rams opener vs. Panthers

Eleven months ago, Todd Gurley signed a four-year, $57.5 million extensionthat made him the NFL's highest-paid running back -- and rightly so. He rushed for 1,305 yards, added another 788 receiving yards and totaled 19 touchdowns in the 2017 season.

Gurley had a strong 2018 campaign, too, with 1,251 rushing yards, 581 receiving and 21 touchdowns. But a knee injury limited him during the postseason when he had just four carries in the conference championship game and 10 carries two weeks later in the Super Bowl. In both games, Gurley combined for 45 yards and one touchdown.

At the combine in March, CBSSports.com's John Breech reported that there was so much concern over the knee that a stem cell procedure was being considered. That was in addition to a report that Gurley is dealing with arthritis.

Concern about Gurley's health for the upcoming season would be understandable -- except that Gurley doesn't sound worried at all.

"I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college," he told reporters Tuesday at the start of Rams mandatory minicamp, via NFL.com. "This is small."
Gurley continued: "I've be hearing stuff all my life. Just whatever growing up. Hearing comments or whatever that is. All of the stuff don't really get to me. I feel like I do a great job, got a great supporting cast. ... It's football. It's the game I've been playing my whole life, so it's nothing new to me. I know what I'm capable of. I know what type of person I am. No big deal to me."

And perhaps it's not but the Rams did select Memphis running back Darrell Henderson in the third round, typically something a team with other needs (and no first-round pick) wouldn't do with a depth chart that includes the league's best back and a solid backup (in Malcolm Brown) behind him.

But like Gurley, coach Sean McVay sounds optimistic about Gurley's knee.

"I feel real good," McVay told reporters. "Talking to Todd, he looks really good, and feels really good. I think the plan that we set out a few months back has been followed exactly the way that we wanted it to get done and now it's about six more weeks till we really report back to camp.

"The intention is to get him back, ready to go. This was the intention, this was part of the long term plan to get him for the opener against the Panthers, but when we start camp that represents when he can get on the field and do some things and start to compete with his teammates.

"I don't know if you'd wanna use the term recovery but he has a very good training program that he's taken part in with Travelle Gaines and he's done some things over here that we thought would be good from a maintenance standpoint. That was what all parties felt like was the best thing, and most importantly what Todd thought was best. Todd's earned the right for us to listen to him, and take everything into consideration."

Last week NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that Gurley's days as a "every-down bell cow are probably over just based on his knee, his age, the position, the amount of carries he's had."

Gurley, who carries a dead-cap charge of $34.8 million in 2019 and $25.6 million in 2020, averages $14.4 million on the deal he signed last summer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Trainer: Gurley's knee has 'arthritic component,' plan to manage it unchanged

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1787066

Todd Gurley tore his ACL in his junior season in college, and the star running back's trainer confirmed his client is dealing with an "arthritic component to his knee."

"Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee, which is part of every surgery whether it's a shoulder, a knee, an ankle," Travelle Gaines told CBS Sports' Dave Richard last week.

"He's now at the year-five mark. All we're doing is managing that. If we can pound him less in the offseason while keeping his weight down, working on his strength, working on his agility in short areas, that's going to give him a better chance to be healthy Weeks 14 through 17 when they really count."

It was reported in March that Gurley has arthritis in his left knee.

The runner's decreased usage was one of the leading stories of the Los Angeles Rams' run to the Super Bowl; Gurley missed the final two games of the regular season and averaged just 10.6 carries over his final five appearances of the campaign, including the playoffs.

The Rams are reportedly expected to lighten Gurley's workload in 2019, with third-round pick Darrell Henderson likely to slide into the backup role that C.J. Anderson excelled in toward the end of last year.

However, Gaines doesn't envision too much change in how Los Angeles uses its franchise back.

"It's never been told to me that there's a plan to decrease his workload come Week 1," Gaines said. "At the end of the day, you need solid running backs, and they grabbed a home-run running back in the third round. ... If you watched the games last year, Todd typically sat out two to three series last year. I don't see anything changing with that, so you need a back who can catch, and I believe Darrell averaged around 9.0 yards per carry - a home-run type guy."

Head coach Sean McVay said last week that Gurley will "absolutely" be ready for training camp after sitting out all offseason workouts and minicamp. Gaines said the rest was needed if the Rams want to rely on his client late in the year.

"Todd was paid $60 million over four years and the Rams want to get every dime out of that contract," he said. "So what good is it to pound him in April and May when you need him in November, December, and January?"

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This concern over his contract is fucking hilarious. The deepest team in the league somehow got it wrong with Gurley.

What a joke - arthritic knee or not

I can’t wait for Gurley to break off a 70-yard TD run and make these fools choke on their bile

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Did you see the game? He was injured against the Eagles. Your star RB doesn't sit for nearly a month with HFA throughout the playoffs at stake unless he was injured.

The thing that sucked was they put him back in tthe game. Then they had to go get CJ Anderson which was a heck of a pick up

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Todd Gurley fallout: Here's what the future holds for Rams and RB after 'arthritic component' to knee disclosed
Gurley's trainer explained what's wrong, so let's take a look at what it all means

Since the latter part of last season, Todd Gurley's health status has been a mystery wrapped in a riddle. After averaging 98 yards per game through the Rams' first 12 contests, Gurley topped 50 yards just once in his final five games, including the playoffs.

The Rams have been vague about exactly what's wrong, but the curtain was lifted this week when Gurley's trainer told our Dave Richard that the All-Pro running back has an "arthritic component to his knee" and that "everybody knew" this would be the case when Gurley came out of Georgia, because of the surgery he'd had for a torn ACL.

So, the Rams have known this for years? Why have they kept it such a secret? And what does it mean for the future of the team and Gurley? Ryan Wilson, John Breech and Sean Wagner-McGough broke it all down on Tuesday's edition of the Pick Six Podcast.

"Doesn't all of this make the decision to give Gurley an extension less than a year ago all the more puzzling and perplexing?" Wagner-McGough asked. "I mean, you just mentioned his trainer saying everybody knew this was going to be a thing because he had ACL surgery in college, so why in the world are you giving him a four-year, $60M extension?"

Gurley got that four-year deal in July of 2018. He was taken by the Rams with the 10th pick of the 2015 draft, after undergoing surgery on his left knee the previous November.

"Even if he didn't have that lingering knee issue coming into the NFL, we're always talking about how you shouldn't give running backs big money, and then you add in the fact he had the knee problem," Wagner-McGough said. "And the Rams can't get out of the deal anytime soon. He's got a dead cap of $35M so they can't cut him this year, and they can't cut him next year when he's got a dead cap of $25M.

"Ryan mentioned he averaged 48 yards per game in his last five last season. If that's the production they're getting out of him the rest of his contract, that will go down as an all-time bad contract."

Breech pointed to the cloud of secrecy in L.A. as another cause for concern.

"Here's the thing: the Rams spent the entire offseason tiptoeing around the issue," Breech said. "Les Snead, Sean McVay, they both got asked on the spot about arthritis and basically ducked the question. They've been playing it down.

"This is not making me feel any more comfortable about Gurley's knee, and I was already uncomfortable with it."

Listen to the full conversation below, which also includes discussions about the new Steelers, the best journeyman QBs and more, and be sure to subscribe/listen daily to get all the latest NFL news and notes.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-after-arthritic-component-to-knee-disclosed/

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Not a surprise he has arthritis. I bet its more than a "component". I wish the best for TG going forward.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-b-for-the-rams-if-todd-gurley-isnt-healthy/

NFL 2019 burning questions: What's Plan B for the Rams if Todd Gurley isn't healthy?
The all-world running back struggled down the stretch last season but will injury concerns affect 2019?

It's been 11 months since the Rams gave Todd Gurley a four-year, $57.5 million extension, and in the process resetting the market for running backs after Le'Veon Bell failed to do so in Pittsburgh. (Bell subsequently held out for the entirety of the 2018 season, and signed with the Jets in March. More on that later.)

Gurley's contract runs through 2023 and he averages $14.4 million per season. And while NFL contracts are almost never fully guaranteed, the Rams can't easily get out from this one anytime soon; the team would incur a $34.9 million dead-cap hit if they parted ways with Gurley in 2019. That number is $25.7 million in 2020 and $8.4 million in 2021, according to Spotrac.

We mention this because Gurley's finish to the 2018 season was, in a word, troubling. It all started well enough. In the first 14 games Gurley rushed for 1,251 yards (4.9 yards per carry) and added another 580 yards on 59 receptions. All told, he scored 21 touchdowns and finished No. 1 in total value and value per play among all running backs, according to Football Outsiders' metrics. Gurley also ranked 12th in total value among all backs as a pass catcher.

Put another way: His contract matched his productivity.

But Gurley missed the final two games of the regular season with a knee injury. He returned in the divisional playoff game against the Cowboys and looked like his old self rushing for 115 yards and a score. But he ran the ball just four times for 10 yards against the Saints in the NFC Championship Game and was only slightly more effective in the Super Bowl when he had 10 carries for 35 yards. In three postseason games, Gurley had four receptions for five yards.

That Super Bowl performance did nothing to assuage concerns about Gurley's knee. In fact, the speculation only intensified during the weeks that followed. At the combine in March, CBSSports.com's John Breech reported that there was so much concern over the knee that a stem cell procedure was being considered. That was in addition to a report that Gurley is dealing with arthritis.

Concern about Gurley's health for the upcoming season would be understandable -- except that Gurley doesn't sound worried at all.

"I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college," he told reporters last week, via NFL.com. "This is small."

Gurley continued: "I've be hearing stuff all my life. Just whatever growing up. Hearing comments or whatever that is. All of the stuff don't really get to me. I feel like I do a great job, got a great supporting cast. ... It's football. It's the game I've been playing my whole life, so it's nothing new to me. I know what I'm capable of. I know what type of person I am. No big deal to me."

But is it "small," as Gurley suggests? Here's what his trainer, Travelle Gaines, told CBSSports.com's Dave Richard.

"Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee, which is part of every surgery whether it's a shoulder, a knee, an ankle," Gaines said late last week. "He's now at the year-five mark, all we're doing is managing that. If we can pound him less in the offseason while keeping his weight down, working on his strength, working on his agility in short areas, that's going to give him a better chance to be healthy Weeks 14 through 17 when they really count."

So what's Plan B if Gurley doesn't return to the form that saw him rush for 2,556 yards the last two season, average 4.8 yards per carry and score 40 touchdowns?

It starts with Malcolm Brown, who had 43 carries for 212 yards (4.9 YPC) in '18, and signed a two-year deal this offseason. But the Rams also used a third-round pick on Memphis running back Darrell Henderson whose college production was off the charts. Henderson averaged 8.9 yards per carry his last two college seasons. And while some of that was a result of running behind a really good offensive line, Henderson deserves a lot of credit too. He averaged around 20 receptions a season during his career but the biggest question about his game translating to the NFL may be his ability to pass block. That said, he has zero reservations about fitting in to McVay's scheme.

"If you go back and watch my college film and you watch the Rams film, it's the same," Henderson told the Los Angeles Times in May. "I thought that was the best system I could get in. So everything worked out great. When I was talking to them, everything was clicking and we developed a relationship. The coaches told me they knew they were going to get me so it was the perfect fit."

Ideally, Gurley would be completely healthy heading into training camp. And it sounds like that's the plan.

"Talking to Todd, he looks really good, and feels really good," McVay told reporters last week. ... The intention is to get him back, ready to go. This was the intention, this was part of the long term plan to get him for the opener against the Panthers, but when we start camp that represents when he can get on the field and do some things and start to compete with his teammates."

Gaines sounded a similar tone, despite the addition of Henderson.

"It's never been told to me that there's a plan to decrease his workload come Week 1," Gaines told Richard. "At the end of the day, you need solid running backs, and they grabbed a home-run running back in the third round. ... If you watched the games last year, Todd typically sat out two to three series last year. I don't see anything changing with that, so you need a back who can catch, and I believe Darrell averaged around 9.0 yards per carry, a home-run type guy."

Gurley is only 24 years old but it's hard to know how his knee will respond until he's on the field. For the Rams the good news is that this offense doesn't run through the running back, even one as talented at Gurley. It starts with McVay.

In 2015, McVay was in his second season as the Redskins offensive coordinator. The team finished 9-7 and the offense, behind Kirk Cousins and Alfred Morrisand his team-leading 751 rushing yards, ranked 12th in total offense -- No. 6 in passing and ... dead least in running the ball. But a year later, that offense ranked No. 5 overall -- fifth in passing and fourth in rushing -- again, Cousins was under center but Robert Kelly led the team with 704 rushing yards. The point: McVay can work without a Pro Bowl rusher but, like every other NFL offense, a franchise quarterback is imperative.

(We can argue about about the franchise-ness of Cousins and Jared Goff but the former was third in total value in '16 and the latter was sixth in total value last season when the Rams made the Super Bowl.)

A backs-by-committee approach probably makes the most sense for Gurley and the Rams going forward and that's OK. There's no need to run Gurley into the ground when you have Brown and Henderson on the roster -- and Goff under center and McVay calling plays. It's also why, like last year, you're not likely to see Gurley take part in preseason games.

"Todd is asked to do a lot in that offense, so to preserve him as much as possible is what the goal of the game is," Gaines said. "Their sports science department and sports medicine department are made up of very sharp individuals, so whatever they subscribe and ask me to help out with to do with Todd as Todd's with me every single day, I'm going to do it. I think the Rams have a great formula and are a phenomenal franchise."

We mentioned Le'Veon Bell in the first paragraph above. He signed a four-year, $52.5 million deal with the Jets this spring, making him the second-highest paid back behind Gurley. The Steelers offered him a bigger contract (with reportedly less guaranteed money, however) last summer but Bell chose to sit out the season because he felt he was worth more than that. The running back position is the most fungible in the NFL and that's been the case for a while now. You could argue that Bell overvalued his worth but it's also fair to say that Gurley's late-season woes did Bell no favors. As we watched C.J. Anderson, who was signed in December after the Panthers cut him the month before, step right into Gurley's role, it reinforced the notion that backs are replaceable.

Simply put: Rams are a better team with Gurley firing on all cylinders. But even if if he's less than 100 percent, Los Angeles remains one of the NFL's most formidable offenses.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gurley's contract runs through 2023 and he averages $14.4 million per season. And while NFL contracts are almost never fully guaranteed, the Rams can't easily get out from this one anytime soon; the team would incur a $34.9 million dead-cap hit if they parted ways with Gurley in 2019. That number is $25.7 million in 2020 and $8.4 million in 2021, according to Spotrac.

I tend to think Gurley’s knee is about the same as always, and it will eventually slow him down... but not yet... and probably not this contract.

Having said that; if we absolutely had to part ways, nobody would do that right based on what we know now. So really it’s just the 2020 and 2021 dead dollars to be concerned about and those could be absorbed.

Gurley is an elite player. If he’s anything like the first 3yr version, the Rams have him locked up for the best part of his career.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Waiting until we see how he holds up and performs this year. Everybody who has a surgery on his knee or a joint is going to have arthritis to one extent or another. Seems to be a whole lot of worrying and speculation but then again it is the off season.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Waiting until we see how he holds up and performs this year. Everybody who has a surgery on his knee or a joint is going to have arthritis to one extent or another. Seems to be a whole lot of worrying and speculation but then again it is the off season.
True but look how the offense suffered without Kupp. If TG is limited early in the season that won't bode well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
True but look how the offense suffered without Kupp. If TG is limited early in the season that won't bode well.
Hypothetically speculatively theoretically etc etc

Which is what we do in the off season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Jeff Fisher skeptical of Todd Gurley's trainer sharing details about knee
gettyimages-498294756.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | June 21, 2019 8:01 am ET

Todd Gurley’s knee might be the most famous one in sports right now with speculation running rampant all offseason. It’s gone from the Rams saying he’s perfectly healthy in the postseason to his trainer revealing that there is an “arthritic component” to his knee.

Inhabit;ord=9102024963325.041;dc_seg=756255014

The team has yet to confirm anything and continues to say he was just banged up, but based on The Athletic’s report and his trainer’s confirmation, it seems likely that Gurley does have arthritis. How much that condition will affect the two-time All-Pro remains to be seen, but the Rams are doing their best to keep him fresh for the long haul.

Former Rams coach Jeff Fisher appeared on NFL Network Thursdayto share his thoughts on the situation and expressed skepticism about Gurley’s trainer, Travelle Gaines, revealing details about the running back’s knee.

“A little unusual that a player’s personal trainer will go public with respect to the condition of his client,” Fisher said. “Most of the injury information – most, if not all of it comes from the club, it comes from the head trainer. This did not, so we’ve got to be cautious with respect to jumping to the conclusion on that.”

Fisher’s right: it is unusual. The team has remained tight-lipped about Gurley’s condition, so to have his trainer go in the opposite direction and reveal details is likely frustrating to the Rams’ training and coaching staffs.

The severity still isn’t exactly known, and so Fisher remains confident in Gurley’s ability to push through this injury situation. He didn’t have any concerns whatsoever about Gurley’s knee when the Rams drafted him in 2015.

“No concerns whatsoever. We checked Todd out like everybody else did, we were happy with the graph, we were happy with the reconstruction,” Fisher explained. “We took our time, we didn’t play him right away – I think we got him in Week 4 or 5 and he was still Rookie of the Year. But, you still have to address these issues as you move forward as you get a year post-op, or two years or three years. There’s obviously an issue there, and unfortunately, he didn’t play at the end of the year last year, didn’t play in the [postseason].”

Fisher did express some optimism for Gurley moving forward, complimenting him for being such a hard worker and saying he can get past this.

“I don’t think it’s a durability issue or a career-threatening issue, but if anyone can get this put behind him, Todd can,” Fisher said. “He’s that kind of worker. You just have to wait and see how the next couple of months play out.”