The McVay thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be fair, there’s a few crucial throws that if Goff made we won that game. McVay might of been out coached. Seems like the 9ers have his number.
We were in plenty of positions to win that game.

I’d rather the 9ers not have a higher draft pick anyways. This team might terrorize us for years to come.

Oh I agree completely. As someone else might have said, McVay was probably good enough to get the win if Jared doesn't "Goff" up the ball 3 times.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay learned his offense from Shanahan and brought it to the Rams. Shanahan has no problem defensing it because he knows it better than McVay. Sean needs to change it up, quit being so predictable and come up with some new wrinkles.

I don't know if it is him or Goff, but they have problems getting the plays called and ran before the play clock runs out and we use most of our timeouts avoiding delay of game penalties.

TexasRam

Legend
Mcvays record speaks for itself.

4 years, all winning records.

Last year decimated by injuries to his Oline and best player (Gurley) and he still manages 9-7.

This year Projected at 12-4 or 11-5 and a possible deep playoff run despite key injuries (Whitworth, Fuller, Kiser, Lewis, OBO, Noteboom, Rapp, Burgess, Akers, Higbee)

Dam near had a Super Bowl win vs the cheaters if his WR’s catch the ball.

And then there's this small detail that might be important .....

1606879252424.png

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
McVay learned his offense from Shanahan and brought it to the Rams. Shanahan has no problem defensing it because he knows it better than McVay. Sean needs to change it up, quit being so predictable and come up with some new wrinkles.

I don't know if it is him or Goff, but they have problems getting the plays called and ran before the play clock runs out and we use most of our timeouts avoiding delay of game penalties.

The 9ers D coordinator is good as well.
next couple years will be exciting for 9ers fans. You be seeing any easy Ws in the NFC west for years to come. We’ll get some good football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it against the rules now in the nfl to ice the kicker? Because I am looking if it is and I don’t see anything saying that it is. Can someone shed light on this?

I don't think icing the kicker is worth the time or effective. But no, it's still legal. Why?

TexasRam

Legend
The 9ers D coordinator is good as well.
next couple years will be exciting for 9ers fans. You be seeing any easy Ws in the NFC west for years to come. We’ll get some good football.

He’s on the short list for head coach.

Sherman is getting up in age.

We will see if they can keep the band together.

Rams77

Starter

what is it with the complaining about timeouts? the whiners had 3 timeouts in their pocket. they could have done anything they wanted and still bled the clock to 1 second. the only way the rams win was to stop them, which they couldn't do.

Absolutely This! I still dont understand people posting about this sequence-The Rams had 3 timeouts and the Niners had 3 timeouts. If the Rams stop the Niners from getting a first down they get the ball back with time to score before OT. The Niners could have called a TO at anytime to preserve time as well. McVay made the smart move by using timeouts there. The defense just did not make the stop. I just dont understand how people refuse to see this or just cant comprehend-I’ve seen it posted like 10 or 20 times so far since Sundays game

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
McVay called timeout at :45. He could have called timeout at 1:10 but he lost 25 seconds by waiting. If he wanted to conserve time he did a bad job at clock management. He needs to improve in that area.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay called timeout at :45. He could have called timeout at 1:10 but he lost 25 seconds by waiting. If he wanted to conserve time he did a bad job at clock management. He needs to improve in that area.

You don't want to call the TO too early. You want to put SF in a position where they can't just drive the field slowly. At the end of the day, those extra seconds didn't matter anyways. Had they mattered, we would have had the time to get into FG range. I don't have an issue with him not taking the TO with 1:10. It makes sense to see what Kyle's strategy would be there.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
You don't want to call the TO too early. You want to put SF in a position where they can't just drive the field slowly. At the end of the day, those extra seconds didn't matter anyways. Had they mattered, we would have had the time to get into FG range. I don't have an issue with him not taking the TO with 1:10. It makes sense to see what Kyle's strategy would be there.

No, that doesn’t make any sense. SF had all their time outs. They were at the rams 41 yard line. There was no reason for Shanny to call a timeout. His only strategy was to play for the field goal. Time wasn’t of the essence to them. All they needed was 5-10 yards and with all time outs they didn’t need to hurry. McVay had no reason to not call a timeout immediately after that play. Yes it didn’t matter in the end anyway but it could have and if they make that stop and force a punt or a long fg attempt those 25 seconds would have been huge.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, they were. He called his first timeout before 2nd and 3 at our 41.

McVay called a TO before 2nd and 3 at our 41. If he doesn't do that, Shanny has a completely different game plan. Once we started calling TOs, they were playing for a 1st down. Prior to that, they were playing for a FG. He wasn't going to keep running the ball if we weren't using our TOs. They would have kept nickel and diming us with the passing game.

41 isn't FG range for Gould. And I'd have preferred them to keep passing over running the ball for 2 yards a pop.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, that doesn’t make any sense. SF had all their time outs. They were at the rams 41 yard line. There was no reason for Shanny to call a timeout. His only strategy was to play for the field goal. Time wasn’t of the essence to them. All they needed was 5-10 yards and with all time outs they didn’t need to hurry. McVay had no reason to not call a timeout immediately after that play. Yes it didn’t matter in the end anyway but it could have and if they make that stop and force a punt or a long fg attempt those 25 seconds would have been huge.

That's what was confusing about what McVay did - was he playing for us to win the game in regulation? Definitely not, otherwise, as you mentioned he would have started calling timeout sooner. And I agree with that, no way we get down the field that quickly. Overtime it is.

How to get there? Need SF to attempt a long FG, and their weakest offensive player is Mullens. I'm fine with that first timeout (right before they snapped it) to come up with a strategy - but I think the strategy should have been to not call timeout and let SF bleed the clock and try a 50+ yard FG. The reason I think McVay ultimately called timeout was in case the Niners made a FG so our offense would have time to respond - but again, they weren't yet in FG range which is what made it an odd choice.

Tano

Legend
Yes, they were. He called his first timeout before 2nd and 3 at our 41.

McVay called a TO before 2nd and 3 at our 41. If he doesn't do that, Shanny has a completely different game plan. Once we started calling TOs, they were playing for a 1st down. Prior to that, they were playing for a FG. He wasn't going to keep running the ball if we weren't using our TOs. They would have kept nickel and diming us with the passing game.
Maybe but for some reason in that scenario I have much more confidence in our passing defense than our run defense.

I have seen Darius make some critical interceptions and maybe in the back of my head I was subconsciously thinking if they keep passing, Darius will get another. I know - a small hope.

JRobinson

MiLB

He’s been suspect in this area since the start. Definitely needs to mature in this area.

Ellard80

Legend
This is kind of funny... so first you guys are criticizing mcvay for calling timeouts - now you are criticizing him for not calling timeouts soon enough lol?

The reason he didn't call the timeouts until then was because he was doing exactly what you guys wanted - he was hoping the rams would slow them down or stop them while the clock ran out.

But once the 49ners got to our 41 yard line with 3 timeouts left - that was unlikely, all they needed was a few short gains. So at that point mcvay was hoping that at a minimum we could hold them to a long FG attempt (like you wanted) and have time to get the ball back.

However we couldn't stop them so it didn't matter either way.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend

What you wrote here seems like you are contradicting yourself.

You don't know when shanny was going to use is timeouts - the 49ners didn't care about the clock being under 40 secs. They had all their timeouts. They could move the ball a couple yards at a time in 2-3 sec

But yeah there would have been time left (as you said) if we stopped them - which was the entire point of mcvay calling the timeouts.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
What you wrote here seems like you are contradicting yourself.

You don't know when shanny was going to use is timeouts - the 49ners didn't care about the clock being under 40 secs. They had all their timeouts. They could move the ball a couple yards at a time in 2-3 sec

But yeah there would have been time left (as you said) if we stopped them - which was the entire point of mcvay calling the timeouts.

Not contradicting myself. I wanted McVay to call timeouts. He did so at :45 remaining. However, he could have called it at 1:10 instead of :45. He waited a whole 25 seconds before calling his first timeout. I’m saying that he made a poor decision by waiting to call the first timeout because SF was not in any hurry to call their timeouts as they were close to field goal range and had all 3 of their timeouts.

So those 25 seconds he wasted by waiting to call his first timeout would have been huge if we were able to stop them and hold them to a long field goal or punt.

It was poor clock management on McVay’s part and could have cost us in the end.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Not contradicting myself. I wanted McVay to call timeouts. He did so at :45 remaining. However, he could have called it at 1:10 instead of :45. He waited a whole 25 seconds before calling his first timeout. I’m saying that he made a poor decision by waiting to call the first timeout because SF was not in any hurry to call their timeouts as they were close to field goal range and had all 3 of their timeouts.

So those 25 seconds he wasted by waiting to call call his first timeout would have been huge if we were able to stop them and hold them to a long field goal or punt.

It was poor clock management on McVay’s part and could have cost us in the end.

So you agree that calling the timeouts was the right move? I guess i was confused by some of what you had said.