The McVay thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
first mcvay was dumb for calling timeouts - but now the argument has completley changed to he was dumb for not calling them fast enough
Just to clarify, i jumped into this not because i felt using the TO's was the wrong strategy. I said that if a HC decides to use the TO to save time...you either call them immediately at the whistle or you don't call them(under 2 min).

There was a long hesitation there. I remember it. I wouldn't remember yelling at the TV it if it didn't happen. Precious seconds were wasted. That's where i'm at. Big picture is i don't care about the time mgmt issue discussed here. Rams just blew a late lead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree with @Mojo Ram on all this. We can nuke the mistake all day but does McVay often cost us games with poor time management? Not that I can recall. In fact he seems to be among the best at those things to include using time outs when his offense doesn't realize the play clock is going to expire.

We got problems to fix and all that but I think worrying about McVay is wasting your time. He's a smart MFer who will nuke his mistakes far more than we will and correct and move on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just to clarify, i jumped into this not because i felt using the TO's was the wrong strategy. I said that if a HC decides to use the TO to save time...you either call them immediately at the whistle or you don't call them(under 2 min).

There was a long hesitation there. I remember it. I wouldn't remember yelling at the TV it if it didn't happen. Precious seconds were wasted. That's where i'm at. Big picture is i don't care about the time mgmt issue discussed here. Rams just blew a late lead.

I think it's easy to understand if you consider the context. If they were going to run a quick play and pass, McVay likely wanted to wait until afterwards in hopes we could force an incompletion. But the 49ers slowed it down and had a favorable running matchup. As I noted earlier, after the TO, we came out with personnel to defend the run. Seems clear to me that McVay recognized that SF was going to try and run the ball to kill clock and get the first. He then decided to call a TO in hopes we could stuff the run, use our remaining TOs, and try to get the ball back.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agree with @Mojo Ram on all this. We can nuke the mistake all day but does McVay often cost us games with poor time management? Not that I can recall. In fact he seems to be among the best at those things to include using time outs when his offense doesn't realize the play clock is going to expire.

We got problems to fix and all that but I think worrying about McVay is wasting your time. He's a smart MFer who will nuke his mistakes far more than we will and correct and move on.
iu

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's easy to understand if you consider the context. If they were going to run a quick play and pass, McVay likely wanted to wait until afterwards in hopes we could force an incompletion. But the 49ers slowed it down and had a favorable running matchup. As I noted earlier, after the TO, we came out with personnel to defend the run. Seems clear to me that McVay recognized that SF was going to try and run the ball to kill clock and get the first. He then decided to call a TO in hopes we could stuff the run, use our remaining TOs, and try to get the ball back.

he definitely wasn't gonna do it before that. it was a strange time to take a timeout when they were 2nd and short. that's not a battle you will win too often.

so it must have been what you're talking about.