The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is goff your son? I'm not taking shots at hi,pm by making fun of him personally, I'm not even making fun of him at all so chill out on the over sensitivity please. I keep using the term "football iq" that does not mean I know if he can build a spaceship in his garage..there are no mind games there is just concern. And if memory serves me you have said worse things about our player and other teams players so let's not try and turn this into a politically correct sensitivity issue. Ipso once more for the record I am concerned and am starting to think goff lacks football smarts. That's my opinion I'm concerned and I have every right to be.

I think Goff is a slow processor. Maybe not slow by an average persons standards but slow by an NFL QB standard. It’s why he doesn’t protect the ball. He’s thinking about his reads and not focusing on the pass rush. This is why his preparation has to be on point every game. I really do question how much he’s distracted by his off the field life.
It’s disappointing because games like this 49ers game I keep wondering if he’s just a slightly better Joe Flacco 2.0.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is goff your son? I'm not taking shots at hi,pm by making fun of him personally, I'm not even making fun of him at all so chill out on the over sensitivity please. I keep using the term "football iq" that does not mean I know if he can build a spaceship in his garage..there are no mind games there is just concern. And if memory serves me you have said worse things about our player and other teams players so let's not try and turn this into a politically correct sensitivity issue. Ipso once more for the record I am concerned and am starting to think goff lacks football smarts. That's my opinion I'm concerned and I have every right to be.

No, he's a player on a team I root for. I think it's shitty to call him stupid when he's not. So chill out on the oversensitivity, please.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One might call it a lack of fear, most would call it a lack of pocket awareness and urgency when facing the rush. Too many times he's nonchalant when the blitz is near and it results in him getting hit and stripped, or affecting the throw and throwing an INT. But other games he seems to move well in the pocket, and feel the pressure great. And that there is the career of Jared Goff. inconsistency. Inconsistency. Inconsistency from play to play, quarter to quarter, year to year. You never know what you're going to get out of him. And that doesn't work in the NFL. You need to be consistent game after game. He was consistent for 2017 and 2/3rds of 2018, but the last 7 games of 2018, all of 2019, and now 10 games of 2020 he's been an inconsistent average at best QB. And when he plays below average like today, he implodes and single handedly loses us the game.

I've never heard McVay criticize Goff in the media but he went in on him today and I hope it lights some kind of spark.

Got a link. I’d like to see it. It’s about time.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Totally agree dude...and that's part of football iq football smarts. It's those things you mentioned and a couple of other things I see that makes me worry about the football iq. That being said I have to be careful because some people think I'm calling goff stupid or making fun of him as being dumb in real life lmfao. When in essence I just want him to do and be his best for himself for the team and in turn for us, I do have legitamite concerns though. Good post bro!

Ellard80

Legend
McVay runs plays that look the same because that's how his scheme is designed. It has nothing to do with Goff. Calling Goff dumb is a ridiculous opinion. Criticize his decision making all you want. He deserves it. But he's not a stupid person. Don't do mental gymnastics to try and justify unwarranted insults.

Jerry I always enjoy your posts but you are kind of missing this point i think. Is Goff "dumb"? Unlikely.. not when you compare him to most of the population out there - just being realistic.

However while he may not be dumb.. he often plays dumb. When he is forced to make a quick decision he often makes the wrong one, and for a long time now I've always been worried about his head. He has arm talent, heigth, above average accuracy on short and medium throws, but when he has to process somethign fast, he seems to lack intuition or the vision to locate the correct read.

He isn"t "dumb" but his football decision making is often "not smart"

If you just watch mcvay on the sideline.. he often looks baffled by Goff decisions. I'm sure other people have to notice this.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think Goff is a slow processor. Maybe not slow by an average persons standards but slow by an NFL QB standard. It’s why he doesn’t protect the ball. He’s thinking about his reads and not focusing on the pass rush. This is why his preparation has to be on point every game. I really do question how much he’s distracted by his off the field life.
It’s disappointing because games like this 49ers game I keep wondering if he’s just a slightly better Joe Flacco 2.0.

Yea Wonderlic scores and overall intellect or cognitive ability doesn't necessarily translate to football. Being super smart doesn't mean you can read a defense, or have good football IQ, or process what you see super quickly. And this is where he struggles, intelligent or not. He makes dumb decisions and doesn't process what he see's very well. The physical issues, like all the missed throws I have no idea where that has come from the last few years. He was money on most deep and intermediate throws in 2017 and most of 2018. Now every game he is missing wide open WRs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think processing is the issue. Sometimes, he gets fooled. That happens to everybody. But where he really hurts us is when he gets rattled. I think he gets rattled by pressure and by having nowhere to throw. Instead of just throwing the football away or at a player's feet, he holds onto the ball and tries to force a play when none is there.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I don't think processing is the issue. Sometimes, he gets fooled. That happens to everybody.

Isn't getting fooled just another way of saying he's not processing what the defense is doing correctly? He's in year 5, he knows defenses disguise coverage. He needs to be able to process and identify correctly, and not "get fooled" as much.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
The only reason I don't think it's a lack of awaress of the rush is because most times on the shotgun passes he's speeding up his read and throwing to get it off before the defender arrives. If a QB is completely unaware they usually get tackled with both hands on the ball checking reads.

But without being in his headspace I'll never know. I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
No, he's a player on a team I root for. I think it's shitty to call him stupid when he's not. So chill out on the oversensitivity, please.

You basically repeated the same thing I said to you so it's bit disturbing. That being said when I refer to players most times its on a football level not personal. So goff is your quarteback, my quarterback our quarterback. As the Rams are our tea but we are able to shed light on things that concern us. Having said that again I'm speaking strictly football and his football iq is becoming worrisome that's all. Away from football he could be a genius and I want the best for him on and off the field. Let's not try and make this a personal attack on goff. I've made that clear on numerous posts I'm hoping your smart enough to understand the difference.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You basically repeated the same thing I said to you so it's bit disturbing. That being said when I refer to players most times its on a football level not personal. So goff is your quarteback, my quarterback our quarterback. As the Rams are our tea but we are able to shed light on things that concern us. Having said that again I'm speaking strictly football and his football iq is becoming worrisome that's all. Away from football he could be a genius and I want the best for him on and off the field. Let's not try and make this a personal attack on goff. I've made that clear on numerous posts I'm hoping your smart enough to understand the difference.

Okay. I'll take you at your word.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Isn't getting fooled just another way of saying he's not processing what the defense is doing correctly? He's in year 5, he knows defenses disguise coverage. He needs to be able to process and identify correctly, and not "get fooled" as much.
I guess tom brady and Russell wilson cant read a defense either going by your logic. Guys on the defensive side get paid alot of money as well.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Did Goff steal your boyfriend?

Any of us can make this place suck by being assholes to each other.

There's been a weird, very un-ROD like spirit of shit talking and trolling that hasn't been missed around here since LA Champ was talking about tractors.

Goffs not old or damaged. He's our QB for now. If he's not good enough this year, then McVay needs to figure out why and fix it for next year.
If Goff can play the way he has before used, he can again. Call me crazy but I think having better deep threats and better QB coaching probably made Goff a better QB? Having a great run game probably also helped a lot.. I think it's probably hard to pass against a top 10 defense and division rival when they are shutting down the run and taking away Kupp, meanwhile it would be cool if our TEs could be consistent threats for these types of games but nah.. its all on Goff and he was off. He came out crisp, accurate... then the shit started sliding like deck chairs on the titanic...

Last edited:

Marc Spector

Rookie
Did Goff steal your boyfriend?

Any of us can make this place suck by being assholes to each other.

There's been a weird, very un-ROD like spirit of shit talking and trolling that hasn't been missed around here since LA Champ was here.

Goffs not old or damaged. He's our QB for now. If he's not good enough this year, then McVay needs to figure out why and fix it for next year.
If Goff can play the way he has before used, he can again. Call me crazy but I think having better deep threats and better QB coaching probably made Goff a better QB. Having a great run game probably also helped a lot.. I think it's probably hard to pass against a top 10 defense and division rival when they are shutting down the run and taking away Kupp, meanwhile it would be cool if our TEs could be consistent threats for these types of games but nah.. its all on Goff and he was off. He came out crisp, accurate... then the shit started sliding like deck chairs on the titanic...

The only reason Jared was better in past years was because opposing defenses had to respect Todd Gurley. I get the feeling McVay doesnt prefer to run a heavy TE set because Woods and Kupp are excellent playmakers and give us our best chance to win. As oppossed to giving Jared his best chance to not make a mistake, which isnt playing to our personnel strength. Its a juggling act and It sucks that Sean has to gameplan in such a fashion because our Qb is a fuckin bum.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw him tuck once this game but he should have done it on one of the INTs he threw.

how many times did you say "throw it" at the tv before he got hit and threw the pick 6?

i said it 3 times, with more urgency the closer the rushers got to him.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The only reason Jared was better in past years was because opposing defenses had to respect Todd Gurley. I get the feeling McVay doesnt prefer to run a heavy TE set because Woods and Kupp are excellent playmakers and give us our best chance to win. As oppossed to giving Jared his best chance to not make a mistake, which isnt playing to our personnel strength. Its a juggling act and It sucks that Sean has to gameplan in such a fashion because our Qb is a fuckin bum.

Right okay dude.
I'm sure guys like Lafleur and Taylor and Watkins and Cooks aren't missed and the other QBs out there throwing to Tyreek Hill or Mike Evans or Mike Thomas or DeAndre Hopkins or Devante Adam's or DK Metcalf ... all of them would still be better than Goff if they didn't have those guys, right?
Russell Wilson doesn't need a good run game? I've seen that dude have games like Goffs today, the bum...

Marc Spector

Rookie
Right okay dude.
I'm sure guys like Lafleur and Taylor and Watkins and Cooks aren't missed and the other QBs out there throwing to Tyreek Hill or Mike Evans or Mike Thomas or DeAndre Hopkins or Devante Adam's or DK Metcalf ... all of them would still be better than Goff if they didn't have those guys, right?
Russell Wilson doesn't need a good run game? I've seen that dude have games like Goffs today, the bum...

Yknow the rams are missing a physical speciment esque WR Ill admit.

But, Snead has replaced Todd with Cam, Van, Hendo and Gerald Everett, Higs and Malcolm Brown became more central parts of the offense.

Who else does Jared need to be elite? I feel our team has no genetic freaks but still competent players who ball out nearly every time they touch the ball.

And the difference between Russell Wilson and Goff is RW is capable of stringing together 3-4 games of MVP caliber play. Jared cant do that even against the NFC East. So yea he's a bum imo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.