The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My tweet had a fare amount of views. Sadly, no response from Jared or the Rams. It’s frustrating as a fan to watch these winnable games lost. I’ll be over it tomorrow and on to Arizona.

AD51785C-09DF-4B0A-B9E5-D1D516C7C45F.jpeg

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Yea to me seems like McVay dumbs down his play calling because goff isn't that bright. I keep saying this. Goff has tools but his problem is between the ears processing what he sees . That's why it seems like we run same plays over and over that's why sometimes we play it safe or don't throw into the endzone etc.
like I said I'm not jumping off the bandwagon however I'm am getting very very concerned.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno about other people, but being in the military was much easier being single...I am saying this because a lot of outside noise can affect judgement. You get sad, mad for no reason, like if Goffs lifestyle or his G/F lifestyle is affecting him he needs to address it and make the decision. Motivation? I thought McVay was hype enough. I don't think its motivation only.

i've said this many times before. goff's play became inconsistent after he hooked up with his stunning girlfriend. and i get it, i'd rather spend time with her than go over film in my own private time. what young male wouldn't.

but it's gonna come to a head for him soon if he has games like today's again. he has to decide, does he want to be the best qb he can be or does he want to collect cheques and go with the flow?

we've seen him play like shit, we've seen him play the game of his life in the nfc championship game in an over the top hostile environment. he has it in him but he has to want to play like that more consistently.

mcvay and snead won't stand for it. time to light a fire under his arse and push him to be the best.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
No the 3rd and 8 malcom brown run he called, 2 min left in the game. That call. When one first down would've all but iced the game, he called a run when we couldn't run all game long. And that was after Goff threw the ball well last game. But the two bad INTs in the 2nd half affected McVays confidence to call a pass there. 100%.

I know what play you're talking about. Since 2018 McVay has been reluctant to scheme a long developing play on third and long. Given Goffs season high completion rate and season high number of pass plays I doubt the issue is just Goff. My suspicion is that he does not trust the protection and he wanted to take time off the clock. I don't think the INTs were particularly bad nor do I think McVay shied away from the passing game after them. If I recall correctly that drive was all passes except for one.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After Goff's 1st incomplete pass next week....
4ob2nh.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea to me seems like McVay dumbs down his play calling because goff isn't that bright. I keep saying this. Goff has tools but his problem is between the ears processing what he sees . That's why it seems like we run same plays over and over that's why sometimes we play it safe or don't throw into the endzone etc.
like I said I'm not jumping off the bandwagon however I'm am getting very very concerned.

Goff isn't dumb (the guy scored higher on the Wonderlic than Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, and Russell Wilson). Y'all gotta stop with that nonsense. Nothing is being dumbed down. Goff simply doesn't protect the ball the way he should. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a fucking genius and is also turnover prone as fuck. It has nothing to do with intelligence. I hope Jared grows out of it.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt

I disagree with this 100%. No comment on how bright a person is or not but McVays offense is one of the most complex in the NFL. There are more personnel groups and formations then the typical NFL offense. It's chalk full of motions and shifts. And the play call itself is long. Watch how long golf is speaking in the huddle versus other top NFL offenses. I've never seen Goff wear playbook wristband.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree with this 100%. No comment on how bright a person is or not but McVays offense is one of the most complex in the NFL. There are more personnel groups and formations then the typical NFL offense. It's chalk full of motions and shifts. And the play call itself is long. Watch how long golf is speaking in the huddle versus other top NFL offenses. I've never seen Goff wear playbook wristband.

And Goff often calls the offense from the LOS. The guy is a lot of things. Stupid isn't one of them. Is he careless with the football? Yes. And that's a problem.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff isn't dumb (the guy scored higher on the Wonderlic than Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, and Russell Wilson). Y'all gotta stop with that nonsense. Nothing is being dumbed down. Goff simply doesn't protect the ball the way he should. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a fucking genius and is also turnover prone as fuck. It has nothing to do with intelligence. I hope Jared grows out of it.

Hey now that logic doesn't joke with the narrative thats in vogue right now. I heard Goff cant read without McVay sounding out the words for him...

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

A test is a lot different then processing real time action in real life in a real setting. It's becoming a bit more apparent that McVay becomes ultra conservative or runs a lot of the same plays. The whole playbook doesn't seem to be open. You can be book smart but that doesn't necessarily translate to a high football iq. So I can't just stop. I see the tools but I'm seeing to many dumb plays to many turnovers and it's not just the turnovers it's the missed throws, it's the bad reads, the open recievers, There are some concerns here and again we want him to play great and be his best but we can bring to light some disturbing trends. They do exist right now we can make excuses we can try and ignore it , we can point fingers at other people other parts of the team but right now our biggest concern is GOFF. Can't escape it there are some disturbing traits that are rearing there head more and more when at this point they should be less and less.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A test is a lot different then processing real time action in real life in a real setting. It's becoming a bit more apparent that McVay becomes ultra conservative or runs a lot of the same plays. The whole playbook doesn't seem to be open. You can be book smart but that doesn't necessarily translate to a high football iq. So I can't just stop. I see the tools but I'm seeing to many dumb plays to many turnovers and it's not just the turnovers it's the missed throws, it's the bad reads, the open recievers, There are some concerns here and again we want him to play great and be his best but we can bring to light some disturbing trends. They do exist right now we can make excuses we can try and ignore it , we can point fingers at other people other parts of the team but right now our biggest concern is GOFF. Can't escape it there are some disturbing traits that are rearing there head more and more when at this point they should be less and less.

McVay runs plays that look the same because that's how his scheme is designed. It has nothing to do with Goff. Calling Goff dumb is a ridiculous opinion. Criticize his decision making all you want. He deserves it. But he's not a stupid person. Don't do mental gymnastics to try and justify unwarranted insults.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Understand where you're going. Yes McVay should be able to rely on the QB coach. I'm wondering if the tough love Bruce Arians is showing Brady is needed or if there is something else to stoke a fire. Bradford was the same way, very even keeled.

I just don't think Goff sees these losses as they're on his shoulders. How do you get through to him and keep him motivated?

I think he does, he admits it every week, even last week. But talk is cheap, y'know? 10 TOs in the last 4 games.

Bruce Arians is an ass. And it's not like super Tom is doing any better right now because of that. Two Ls in a row? 4 INTs the last 2 games. 7 TOs last 4 games.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My tweet had a fare amount of views. Sadly, no response from Jared or the Rams. It’s frustrating as a fan to watch these winnable games lost. I’ll be over it tomorrow and on to Arizona.

View attachment 41480

Yeah, I don't think any Ram player will be looking at fan tweets right after an L, let alone a respond to them.

And what's the team's social media intern supposed to say lol?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

Solid point but maybe he should because he clearly is missing something. Maybe that whole babying thing earlier in his career set him back? Something is off he was ascending last year descending but with good reason now he was kind of ascending flat lined for a bit holding stead and lately seems like descending again. It's concerning. As a Rams fan I'm worried. if he has reached his ceiling well that sucks it's bothersome.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
McVay runs plays that look the same because that's how his scheme is designed. It has nothing to do with Goff. Calling Goff dumb is a ridiculous opinion. Criticize his decision making all you want. He deserves it. But he's not a stupid person. Don't do mental gymnastics to try and justify unwarranted insults.

Is goff your son? I'm not taking shots at hi,pm by making fun of him personally, I'm not even making fun of him at all so chill out on the over sensitivity please. I keep using the term "football iq" that does not mean I know if he can build a spaceship in his garage..there are no mind games there is just concern. And if memory serves me you have said worse things about our player and other teams players so let's not try and turn this into a politically correct sensitivity issue. Ipso once more for the record I am concerned and am starting to think goff lacks football smarts. That's my opinion I'm concerned and I have every right to be.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
Solid point but maybe he should because he clearly is missing something. Maybe that whole babying thing earlier in his career set him back? Something is off he was ascending last year descending but with good reason now he was kind of ascending flat lined for a bit holding stead and lately seems like descending again. It's concerning. As a Rams fan I'm worried. if he has reached his ceiling well that sucks it's bothersome.

I said this earlier but I don't think he plays with enough fear.

Given the opportunity to throw from the pocket just as a defender arrives or tuck the ball and take the sack (or bail from the pocket early) he almost always stays and throws. I've seen him get hit in the act of passing more than any other QB I've watched this season. Defenders know they just have to reach a spot to get the sack or disrupt the play. No worry about contain.

I saw him tuck once this game but he should have done it on one of the INTs he threw.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just want Goff to have a good QB Coach that can get hired away next season...

MachS

Hall of Fame
I said this earlier but I don't think he plays with enough fear.

Given the opportunity to throw from the pocket just as a defender arrives or tuck the ball and take the sack (or bail from the pocket early) he almost always stays and throws. I've seen him get hit in the act of passing more than any other QB I've watched this season.

I saw him tuck once this game but he should have done it on one of the INTs he threw.

One might call it a lack of fear, most would call it a lack of pocket awareness and urgency when facing the rush. Too many times he's nonchalant when the blitz is near and it results in him getting hit and stripped, or affecting the throw and throwing an INT. But other games he seems to move well in the pocket, and feel the pressure great. And that there is the career of Jared Goff. inconsistency. Inconsistency. Inconsistency from play to play, quarter to quarter, year to year. You never know what you're going to get out of him. And that doesn't work in the NFL. You need to be consistent game after game. He was consistent for 2017 and 2/3rds of 2018, but the last 7 games of 2018, all of 2019, and now 10 games of 2020 he's been an inconsistent average at best QB. And when he plays below average like today, he implodes and single handedly loses us the game.

I've never heard McVay criticize Goff in the media but he went in on him today and I hope it lights some kind of spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.