The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
My judgement of Jared Goff is mine alone and maybe totally wrong. Goff is a talented, yet flawed QB. He is streaky, He can be incredible accurate, followed by some boneheaded throw. His critics are unfair to him and are a bit of an echo chamber. They have never forgiven him for not knowing where the sun rises and falls., so they think him stupid. When he does something fantastic, it's solely because of McVay. When something goes wrong, it's all on him.

He's a tough, skinny son of bitch. He's got steel in him as well and that steel will help him and the Rams win at least one Super Bowl. Dude will pull the trigger in a flammable environment, which is good and bad. I thought that last drive to get within FG range is an example of his ability under pressure. The same is true for getting the team in position with one second left in the half, which is also an example of being McVay prepared.

It figures that when I've taken the season off due to reasons that I won't discuss, this could be the team that defies the media narrative. The unsexy team that could give a shit what Skip and Company thinks of them. Great defense, running game, best receiving duo in the NFL could win it all. Fuck me...lol
He had me at the NO championship game. He pulled out some of the most "out of my ass" completions I the face of all out pressure I ever saw in the late 4th quarter and OT, that any QB has any right completing. Tough skinny SOB, that seems to rise to the most pressure filled occasions. He may not always be pretty, but I knew we had a legit QB then.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
And your extrapolation also equates only 8 games. If we "extrapolate" the 51 pass attempts over a full season, that would be 32 INT, right?
But would also mean 816 Pass Attempts. For comparisons sake, Kurt Warner a total of 846 attempts in his first 2 seasons combined, and threw 31 INT

My view is that if you throw 51 times in a single game it would be unusual not to have at least a couple of interceptions. It's not the same as throwing 25x per game over twice as many games. The other team knows exactly what you're doing. You're probably running routes more than once. The D is going after the passer and trying to jump the routes.

Even with all the changes in rules there are still reasons why passing nearly all the time is not a preferred strategy.

This is not intended to take issue with McVay's play calling against Tampa Bay. It worked and we won. It's just that there are predictable unintended consequences.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
My view is that if you throw 51 times in a single game it would be unusual not to have at least a couple of interceptions. It's not the same as throwing 25x per game over twice as many games. The other team knows exactly what you're doing. You're probably running routes more than once. The D is going after the passer and trying to jump the routes.

Even with all the changes in rules there are still reasons why passing nearly all the time is not a preferred strategy.

This is not intended to take issue with McVay's play calling against Tampa Bay. It worked and we won. It's just that there are predictable unintended consequences.

The saying is, "there are three things that can happen when you pass and two of them are bad".

On the first pick, look at the replay from the all 22 angle. Henderson floats over to the spot but there's JPP and a blocker there. Instead of turning towards Goff and stepping back towards the throw, he tries to get around and outside those two. Goff thinks he's going to stay on his spot and he throws it there. The blocker can't see the ball coming but JPP can and it's right in his gut. Goff gets the blame, but Henderson did not have the clock in his head working. Still, Goff should get the blame.

On the second pick, it's a laser downfield and the safety makes a great play on it. Shit happens. As this line gets better and better at pass pro....they've been pretty good so far but they should better as Noteboom plays more.........Goff can/will make the throws he has to make. I heard Bayless call him Jared Cough-It-Up. In the 8 games he's thrown 38 passes or less, he's thrown a pick in 4 of them but never multiple picks. In the two games he's thrown multiple picks, he's had 61 and 51 attempts. That's 3.6%, above his career INT% (2.2). But we've won one of those two games, so there's that. He's lost 3 fumbles on the year, 2 in the Miami game and 1 in the Seattle game. We're 1-1 there. So he's had 1 really bad game (Miami) when he turned the ball over 4 times. The other 9 games, he's got 7 but we're 7-2. I think we're accentuating a negative.

TexasRam

Legend
I love how people say they know when Goff is going to have a bad game. Really?

we’ve lost 3 games.

At Buffalo he started slow then came back with a vengeance to give us the game winning TD before the Refs hosed us.

At S.F. He was off. His accuracy was really off early but then he pulled it together. A perfect pass to Kupp dropped by Kupp and we win that game.

At Miami they certainly rattled him with the zero blitz which Mcvay wasn’t prepared for and caused struggle all game. But despite the fluke special teams and defensive scores, Goff continues to battle and if not for an Everett drop ( right in his hands) we come back to win that game.

Ive come to the conclusion that fans and media heads create narratives that often don’t reflect reality.

The problem has to do with the obsession with glorifying the TD pass. Our offense finishes in the red zone by running the ball, because we are efficient at it. Both on the end around and with our RB

When you look at passing yards and also wins, which is the true measure, Jared is an elite QB at the top of the NFL.

From the Super Bowl to this years losses you have to wonder what the narrative would be if his WR’s were able to catch a few balls that were thrown perfectly into their hands.

A funny thing with this Rams offense is they are now #5 in the league. It Could easily be higher if we didn’t have Mcvay being a nice guy and packing it in vs Philly, Chicago and Seattle, not to mention the conservative calls vs Tampa. Other coaches run up stats there. But being a top offense every year except last year when our Oline as decimated is interesting. What is the commonality of these three years of top
Offensive production? We had Gurley hurt for stretches and still maintained our production. Kupp was out nearly all of 2018 and we still made the super bowl. Woods was out half a year. Our Oline is completely redone with the exception of Havenstein, and even without Whitworth we score 27 (with a FG missed) vs the #3 defense.

How is this possible? Two commonalities Goff and Mcvay.. Same
With the Saints. #1 and #2 seed have two consistent performers Goff and Brees. With two excellent offensive minded head coaches.

But why is Russel Wilson only scoring 16 points in his biggest division game vs us? Why is Tom Brady unable to muster more than 250 yards of offense in his biggest game. Why did Aaron Rodgers only manage 3 points vs Tampa? Why is Lamar Jackson Leading the 31st ranked passing offense? Lamar Jackson has thrown over 250 yards only 1 time in 2020!

Goff ain’t perfect, we get that. But the success we have enjoyed with him as our QB this early in his career is very rare. His play in his 4th full season is ahead of Brady and several other Elite QB’s at this same stage in their careers. I see a young elite level talented QB that is beating his peers at the moment and learning as he goes.

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Rewatched the game this evening.
3:45 left. Goff was flat deadly cool. And had a bad drop.
If Timmy bitch boy had done the same, we would have been seeing that series 24/7 for the last two days.
I’m calling it right now. That drive out us in the SB.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

we’ve lost 3 games.

At Buffalo he started slow then came back with a vengeance to give us the game winning TD before the Refs hosed us.

At S.F. He was off. His accuracy was really off early but then he pulled it together. A perfect pass to Kupp dropped by Kupp and we win that game.

At Miami they certainly rattled him with the zero blitz which Mcvay wasn’t prepared for and caused struggle all game. But despite the fluke special teams and defensive scores, Goff continues to battle and if not for an Everett drop ( right in his hands) we come back to win that game.

Ive come to the conclusion that fans and media heads create narratives that often don’t reflect reality.

The problem has to do with the obsession with glorifying the TD pass. Our offense finishes in the red zone by running the ball, because we are efficient at it. Both on the end around and with our RB

When you look at passing yards and also wins, which is the true measure, Jared is an elite QB at the top of the NFL.

From the Super Bowl to this years losses you have to wonder what the narrative would be if his WR’s were able to catch a few balls that were thrown perfectly into their hands.

A funny thing with this Rams offense is they are now #5 in the league. It Could easily be higher if we didn’t have Mcvay being a nice guy and packing it in vs Philly, Chicago and Seattle, not to mention the conservative calls vs Tampa. Other coaches run up stats there. But being a top offense every year except last year when our Oline as decimated is interesting. What is the commonality of these three years of top
Offensive production? We had Gurley hurt for stretches and still maintained our production. Kupp was out nearly all of 2018 and we still made the super bowl. Woods was out half a year. Our Oline is completely redone with the exception of Havenstein, and even without Whitworth we score 27 (with a FG missed) vs the #3 defense.

How is this possible? Two commonalities Goff and Mcvay.. Same
With the Saints. #1 and #2 seed have two consistent performers Goff and Brees. With two excellent offensive minded head coaches.

But why is Russel Wilson only scoring 16 points in his biggest division game vs us? Why is Tom Brady unable to muster more than 250 yards of offense in his biggest game. Why did Aaron Rodgers only manage 3 points vs Tampa? Why is Lamar Jackson Leading the 31st ranked passing offense? Lamar Jackson has thrown over 250 yards only 1 time in 2020!

Goff ain’t perfect, we get that. But the success we have enjoyed with him as our QB this early in his career is very rare. His play in his 4th full season is ahead of Brady and several other Elite QB’s at this same stage in their careers. I see a young elite level talented QB that is beating his peers at the moment and learning as he goes.

Agree with everything you say. I'm just tired of arguments with people who don't get that Goff is, actually, powering the success of this team. Pointless to discuss with those with a predetermined point of view.

However, I must admit that I'm shocked-- shocked!-- to learn that "fans and media heads create narratives that often don’t reflect reality." What, in America? Who would do anything like that?

And I'll stop there before I inadvertently say something that might be construed as political...

tempests

Hall of Fame

Ah, we don't really have a top offense anymore. Fifth in yards but 17th in points, and that is reconciled when looking at scoring %. 36% of Rams drives end in points, which is only good for 26th in the league. Rams were 45% in 2017 and 48% in 2018, both top 3 in the league. Missed FGs brought us down somewhat, but the Rams have had to punt 41 times this year, 3rd most among teams with winning records. And they have yet to have a turnover free game, 15 turnovers this year are the most among teams with winning records.

Special teams foibles are probably this team's Achilles heel, but finishing drives on offense is a weakness also.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Easily MVP of the NFL.....He'll become the Goffinator.

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
You never really know, there were people yelling for Wolford after the Miami game and now they’re SB contenders. Unfortunately for the iggles this has been a yearlong situation that hasn’t got any better it’s just ironic to me that Wentz was seen as superior in many ways yet he is the one struggling so much.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
words that will never be uttered in any media outlet.

Because he's 32-0 under McVay
0-2 under Fisher
When Goff does great things, McVay gets the credit
When things dont go so well, it's all on Goff
In all my years I cant recall a player who had success like Goff have so many people, media etc make excuses for his good/great play

Tano

Legend
You may not believe this but the only time I told my wife that Goff was going to have a bad game after the first couple plays was the SF game. That's the only game he was just off.

Buffalo - I did not see the game because my internet was down for almost three weeks due to the provider cutting my line after upgrading a neighbors line. Took them a while to get the dig permit.

Miami wasn't a bad game for Goff decision wise. He just had a bad game decision wise but as I said before I blame McVay for not using Goff's strengths that game. That was the only game where I was truly upset with McVay.

All the other games this year, Goff had either a good to very good game.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Miami wasn't a bad game for Goff decision wise. He just had a bad game decision wise
EN18esKWkAgjxVC.jpg

Tano

Legend
Typo

Meant to say - wasn't a bad passing game for Goff but his decision making was terrible. In passing, I meant his throws were on the money when he wasn't getting sacked except for the one throw to the sideline that should have been returned for a TD

I got ahead of myself and typing while thinking 5 words ahead.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Jared Goff against Middle-of-the-Field Open Coverages

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROSdDvgD3E&feature=emb_logo

Something I found interesting. Not meant to detract or stir the pot by linking this video. It's just one guy's take and though he seems like he knows what he's talking about, a video of all the great plays Goff did this year would take up a lot bigger video. I linked this to see what other's take on the breakdown is, especially Merlin who has put together a lot of interesting photo-breakdowns.

My take on this vid... interesting when you slow it down that he could've gone the other way or made a faster read, but I'm not ready to hang him since every QB makes a bad decision here and there, and the subpar ones make more bad ones than good. See: Wentz. Not gonna lie, that SB one to Cook still pains me to see. This breakdown guy also did a Wentz video, who is not even in Goff's league anyway.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It a fact if you throw passes, you're gonna throw interceptions. Most are your fault. Some aren't. The key is overcoming those interceptions. Goff has 8. He's got 4 games with none and the Rams are 4-0. He's got 4 games with 1 and the Rams are 2-2. He's got 2 games with 2 and the Rams are 1-1.

How about Rodgers? He's only thrown 4 picks. 7 games with none (6-1). 2 with 1 (1-1). 1 game with 2 (0-1)
How about Rivers? He's thrown 8. 4 games with none (4-0). 4 games with 1 (3-1). 2 games with 2 (0-2)
Wilson has thrown 10? 4 game with none (4-0). 3 games with 1 (3-0). 3 games with 2 (or more) 0-3.

Does it mean anything? Yeah, don't throw picks you gotta a good chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.