The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hahaha

It's just funny that people can't come out and say Jared had a good game. One completion short of a MNF record, what 77% completion, 376 yards, took 0 sacks with Boom on his blindside, in a primetime game on the east coast vs a playoff team with a very good defense and good pass rush without anything even remotely resembling a running game and it's seems impossible for people to compliment the guy without backhanding him as well. He threw one bad pass and had another that Hendo left him to dry resulting in a 2nd interception. He had a good game and for some they can't acknowledge that. Sad really but whatever. He's leading us to the playoffs so I'm good.

This bolded comment is part of the reason you perceive people to not be able to say Goff had a good game (which, I personally did - he had a really good game).

0 sacks is a credit to Goff? So if he was sacked 8 times, it would be on Goff and not the OL?

Those type of comments are part of this disconnect for me. He had a good game - but he could have been better, obviously with the turnovers.

People want to give him credit for things that he shouldn't be getting credit for, definitively.

For me, I blame him for that first INT - some people don't - it's a little ambiguous.

But the not taking any sacks isn't ambiguous IF you blame the OL when he takes a bunch of sacks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This bolded comment is part of the reason you perceive people to not be able to say Goff had a good game (which, I personally did - he had a really good game).

0 sacks is a credit to Goff? So if he was sacked 8 times, it would be on Goff and not the OL?

Those type of comments are part of this disconnect for me. He had a good game - but he could have been better, obviously with the turnovers.

People want to give him credit for things that he shouldn't be getting credit for, definitively.

For me, I blame him for that first INT - some people don't - it's a little ambiguous.

But the not taking any sacks isn't ambiguous IF you blame the OL when he takes a bunch of sacks.
Aren't sacks an issue with both at times? If the OLine can't block it's on them. However if Goff were like Wentz and a few others and holding on to the ball forever it's on him. If Goff has no pocket presence and fails to step up in the pocket and gets sacked it's on him. If he senses the pressure and steps into the wrong spot it's on him. If he sees the blitz or fails to and doesn't audible to protect the blitz it's on him. Are you really saying a QB not getting sacked has nothing to do with him and it's all OLine? Both parties are responsible for them and it's not even debatable. Thinking he has nothing to do with sacks just make people ignore your comments about him and the oline tbh (see how it's fun to play that game like you did?).

TexasRam

Legend

Ellard80

Legend
Goff was good last night - only two real mistakes I remember are the bad throw on the screen and the deep throw to Reynolds he had woods wide open on the cross.

Besides that he was efficient all night.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aren't sacks an issue with both at times? If the OLine can't block it's on them. However if Goff were like Wentz and a few others and holding on to the ball forever it's on him. If Goff has no pocket presence and fails to step up in the pocket and gets sacked it's on him. If he senses the pressure and steps into the wrong spot it's on him. If he sees the blitz or fails to and doesn't audible to protect the blitz it's on him. Are you really saying a QB not getting sacked has nothing to do with him and it's all OLine? Both parties are responsible for them and it's not even debatable. Thinking he has nothing to do with sacks just make people ignore your comments about him and the oline tbh (see how it's fun to play that game like you did?).

Oh I absolutely agree it's on both - I've just never once seen anyone on this site blame Goff for even one sack. So to give him credit for not getting sacked when the OL is hammered for allowing sacks is a little disengenuous

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I absolutely agree it's on both - I've just never once seen anyone on this site blame Goff for even one sack. So to give him credit for not getting sacked when the OL is hammered for allowing sacks is a little disengenuous
Not disengenous at all and consistent with anything I've said before. It's on both but to give him no credit for not getting sacked is asinine.

oldnotdead

Legend
People are underestimating how good Goff is. He just picked this team up and carried it on his arm. He was the whole damn offense the entire game. What this game proved is that given enough time, he can win games without a run game. As we saw in 2019 even without a run game and an o-line in shambles he got this team in position to get into the playoffs. It was a couple of makeable FG's that were missed that sunk this team last year. It wasn't Goff.

Goff is an elite talent because there aren't many QBs that can do as much as he does. Goff and the defense beat the Bucs plain and simple. Personally, I thank God Snead drafted Goff and not Wentz. Look at all the weapons on this team on both sides of the ball. This is a championship-caliber roster with a legit franchise QB.

INTs will happen when there is no run support game and the secondary is simply sitting on routes. That's not necessarily on Goff as much as it's on O'Connell and McVay. Why they abandoned the inside run game that was working and went back to their simplistic outside zone run scheme makes no sense.

One of those INT's looked like it was on Henderson who didn't recognize the coverage and should have sat down instead of continuing on. Goff's throw looked like he expected Henderson to stop in the zone but he didn't.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
hahaha

It's just funny that people can't come out and say Jared had a good game. One completion short of a MNF record, what 77% completion, 376 yards, took 0 sacks with Boom on his blindside, in a primetime game on the east coast vs a playoff team with a very good defense and good pass rush without anything even remotely resembling a running game and it's seems impossible for people to compliment the guy without backhanding him as well.

Goff threw for 160 yards more than Brady.

And Brady was inexplicably rescued by the refs from a game over goal line fumble.

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTSACKSQBRRTG
Jared Goff39/513767.4320-085.499.8

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTSACKSQBRRTG
Tom Brady26/482164.5221-755.262.5

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think at times people take my posts somewhat out of context - I agree with everything you said except about the second INT - to me it was just as bad as Brady's first INT.

It was a huge improvement - and as you pointed out, a huge improvement against the blitz.

What I mean by out of context is, I'm typically responding to people who are giving Goff too much credit for the win. It probably seems like I dislike Goff because most Rams fans (at least here) like him A LOT. I think it's a personality thing to a certain degree. Goff, this year, is Marcus Peters in terms of play, 100% - when Peters was here, there were games where he looked amazing, made huge plays, and contributed to shutting the Patriots down in the Super Bowl. Then there were games where he was bad and got beat constantly. That's Goff this year.

When those things were happening to Peters, I defended him because I felt that overall, his play was better than what people on here, for whatever the rhyme or reason, were giving him credit for. I do the opposite with Goff because, for whatever reason, people tend to give him more credit than he deserves IMO.

Their performances are damn near identical in terms of consistency - but lots of people disliked Peters from the moment he was traded for, and lots of people liked Goff the moment he was drafted.

So for me, I'm probably actually giving Goff more credit than I usually would because Tampa has an elite defense. There are certain bad plays that, to me, just can't happen, regardless of how much good a player has done:

Getting beat for a deep TD, fumbling in certain scenarios, taking a sack in certain scenarios, throwing a bad interception in certain scenarios - Peters got ROASTED for the Saints game a few years ago, including by me, while Goff had a host of people lined up to defend him after the Miami debacle.

I want Goff to be better - I want him to play a complete game - but for whatever reason, even in a blowout win against Philly, he cools down quite a bit in second halves. Not sure if that's a McVay issue or Goff issue, but it's an issue.

So overall, I should probably be giving it to Goff the way people gave it to Peters after the long TD allowed to Michael Thomas in 2018 - it's a play that no NFL player should allow, just like Goff's second INT is a play no NFL QB should make. Yes, it was a timing throw, and maybe Woods got hung up, but it looked like an inaccurate pass to me.
Bro, I get it. Goff frustrates the hell out of me at times as well. But to compare him tp Peters is a lil doofy.

Goff has won us more games than any QB in recent memory. Won them. Loses us a very few. Peters did neither. Nowhere near the same responsibilities. But again, I get it. Goff needs to cleanup the crazy backbreaking plays. Let's celebrate our win and hope this gets even better.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Not disengenous at all and consistent with anything I've said before. It's on both but to give him no credit for not getting sacked is asinine.

I know you're talking with someone else here OS, but he definitely deserves credit for not getting sacked yesterday..no doubt about it. I personally call his ass out when he doesn't see the blitz pre-snap well enough, or audible to the correct play... but yesterday he was flawless in that regard. I'll credit McVay too for the quick passing game-plan, but Goff changed the play numerous times perfectly, and dealt with the A gap pressure multiple times by motioning in Malcom to block inside. He got the ball out quick when he needed to, moved in the pocket well while pressure was coming, and stayed accurate throughout it all. Also when flushed out of the pocket he made huge throws on two key 3rd downs and in the redzone to Woods for the TD.

I said it yesterday I think the first half was the best Goff we've seen since 2018, it was literally a perfect half. The turnovers were unfortunate in the 2nd half because it diminished how well he played overall, and gave them a chance to come back. Even with those two INTs though, to win the game on a 4min drive with numerous big throws - he deserves the credit. Especially when you factor in we had no running game at all. I just hope he improves on the turnovers because as brilliant as he played, we could have lost that game if we didn't have the #1 ranked defense. To play that well and possibly lose over 2 bad throws shouldn't happen. But he's played very good football the past two weeks against SEA and TB so hopefully he keeps it rolling as we head into these important division games :helmet: .

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bro, I get it. Goff frustrates the hell out of me at times as well. But to compare him tp Peters is a lil doofy.

Goff has won us more games than any QB in recent memory. Won them. Loses us a very few. Peters did neither. Nowhere near the same responsibilities. But again, I get it. Goff needs to cleanup the crazy backbreaking plays. Let's celebrate our win and hope this gets even better.

I meant in terms of ability and consistency - obviously a QB is going to have more of an influence over winning/losing, but they're also paid for that

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know you're talking with someone else here OS, but he definitely deserves credit for not getting sacked yesterday..no doubt about it. I personally call his ass out when he doesn't see the blitz pre-snap well enough, or audible to the correct play... but yesterday he was flawless in that regard. I'll credit McVay too for the quick passing game-plan, but Goff changed the play numerous times perfectly, and dealt with the A gap pressure multiple times by motioning in Malcom to block inside. He got the ball out quick when he needed to, moved in the pocket well while pressure was coming, and stayed accurate throughout it all. Also when flushed out of the pocket he made huge throws on two key 3rd downs and in the redzone to Woods for the TD.

I said it yesterday I think the first half was the best Goff we've seen since 2018, it was literally a perfect half. The turnovers were unfortunate in the 2nd half because it diminished how well he played overall, and gave them a chance to come back. Even with those two INTs though, to win the game on a 4min drive with numerous big throws - he deserves the credit. Especially when you factor in we had no running game at all. I just hope he improves on the turnovers because as brilliant as he played, we could have lost that game if we didn't have the #1 ranked defense. To play that well and possibly lose over 2 bad throws shouldn't happen. But he's played very good football the past two weeks against SEA and TB so hopefully he keeps it rolling as we head into these important division games :helmet: .
I totally agree I loved him in the 1st half and the 2nd it was like a different guy. The thing I liked the most the last couple weeks is it looks like he's finally taking command of the play after it's called audible etc.

When he has a bad game like he had the 2nd half I'll call him out. But our guy even with a bad 2nd half had a damned impressive game. No amount of criticism is going to change my mind that overall he was good yesterday.

oldnotdead

Legend
I totally agree I loved him in the 1st half and the 2nd it was like a different guy.

I disagree because what I saw was a defense that knew Goff had no run support so they sat on the routes. It was the defense that changed not so much the offense. Note, the Rams were able to run the ball in the second half where they couldn't before.

The Bucs came out thinking they will take away the run and make Jared beat them and he was. In the second half they decided that they would take away the passing game, so the Rams found some running room. McVay did precious little in terms of adjustment to help Jared in the second half. Yet Goff still made plays and that's my point. The Bucs tried to take away the pass but Goff matched them point for point in the second half as both teams scored 10 points. That final drive of the first half and subsequent FG was the difference all game. The Buc's could never match that differential.

The credit goes to Goff and the defense.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why they abandoned the inside run game that was working and went back to their simplistic outside zone run scheme makes no sense.

First off, loved your whole post, I totally agree on everything.

To answer your question above, imo I think that McVays use of presnap motion, misdirection and PA rollouts, through using one play to set up the next is all mostly built off those outside zone runs, despite their being inside runs built in to the offense, a lot of the PA concepts he wanted to use required the commitment to the outside zone. The bucs were determined to take it away, which is actually what McVay wants. He is less interested in the outside zone being the best run options for yards gained, he wants to use it so he can dictate the defense.
It's McVay playing chess while Bowles was playing checkers.

Mike Martz Offensive philosophy was predicated on the belief that what they do they will do so well that the defense has to stop it. Guys studied their opponents but the offense was going to do things how they design it, based on timing and speed, and really did very little to scheme against different defenses.
McVays philosophy is to use the defenses rules to force them into giving him what he wants. I don't think McVay cares too much about winning with his run game, he just cares about winning and in order to do that, he needs balance. His whole thing is about calling the game in such a way that his offense is always the one doing the dictating. Everything the defense does is in response to his commands. Once he has that, he wins. His 32-0 record in games leasing at the half is no fluke or even just a byproduct if a good team. Its an indication that McVay knows how dictate a game and when he does, we win.
Occasionally he runs across a defense that won't be dictated to or directed by him. They will ignore the rules and play very aggressive and if they are rolling with it, our offense can be made to look simple, out of sync etc.
Sooner or later McVay will have answers for those games too.

If you could pick any head coach for the next 10 years, I would pick McVay without the slightest hesitation.
If he ever has a couple years where he's struggling, below .500 for 2 or 3 consecutive seasons, I would stick with him. Hes a brilliant guy, a great leader, a great coach and he won't ever be down for long imo. McVay will likely end up in Canton and I hope it's with only Rams SB rings on his fingers.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I disagree because what I saw was a defense that knew Goff had no run support so they sat on the routes. It was the defense that changed not so much the offense. Note, the Rams were able to run the ball in the second half where they couldn't before.

The Bucs came out thinking they will take away the run and make Jared beat them and he was. In the second half they decided that they would take away the passing game, so the Rams found some running room. McVay did precious little in terms of adjustment to help Jared in the second half. Yet Goff still made plays and that's my point. The Bucs tried to take away the pass but Goff matched them point for point in the second half as both teams scored 10 points. That final drive of the first half and subsequent FG was the difference all game. The Buc's could never match that differential.

The credit goes to Goff and the defense.

I couldn't disagree with this more, we weren't able to run the ball in the 2nd half at all. Not sure what game you were watching man. We had two good runs, Akers for 4 and Brown for 6 yards yards which were our two "real" runs of the 2nd half. Malcom ran for 14 yards on a 3rd and 16, which was us just giving up and playing for a punt, backed up against our own end zone. Goff carried us completely with his arm. Maybe the reason it seemed like they were better against the pass to you, was because we were so bad on early downs in the 2nd half, and this blame goes on McVay. There were a few early down incompletions and penalties, but mostly stuffed runs that put us into bad 2nd and 3rd down distances. The Bucs didn't "decide" to sit on routes and loosen up vs the run. We shot ourselves in the foot with our lack of running game, penalties and turnovers. When @OldSchool is talking about Goff in the 2nd half, I think its just the 2 INTs which hurt us and the delay of game penalties. But regardless we were much better throwing the ball all day and should have just abandoned the run.

Look at our early down efficiency and running success in the 2nd half:

--2nd half possessions--

1st)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 25
    (15:00 - 3rd) J.Goff pass short right to G.Everett to LA 24 for -1 yards
2nd)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 25
    (12:41 - 3rd) D.Henderson right end to LA 25 for no gain
  • 3rd & 1 at TB 25
    (9:09 - 3rd) (No Huddle) C.Akers up the middle to TB 26 for -1 yards
3rd)
  • 1st & 10 at TB 37
    (7:42 - 3rd) C.Akers right tackle to TB 35 for 2 yards
4th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 20
    (4:41 - 3rd) D.Henderson up the middle to LA 20 for no gain
5th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 42
    (15:00 - 4th) C.Akers up the middle to LA 46 for 4 yards
6th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 12
    (11:51 - 4th) R.Woods left end to LA 7 for -5 yards
  • 3rd & 16 at LAR 6
    (11:04 - 4th) M.Brown up the middle to LA 20 for 14 yards
7th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 43
    (8:16 - 4th) J.Goff FUMBLES (Aborted) at LA 42, and recovers at LA 42.
  • 2nd & 11 at LAR 42
    (7:27 - 4th) (Shotgun) PENALTY on LA, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at LA 42 - No Play.
  • 2nd & 16 at LAR 37
    (7:25 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Goff pass short middle intended for R.Woods INTERCEPTED
8th)
  • 1st & 10 at TB 24
    (2:56 - 4th) D.Henderson left tackle to TB 22 for 2 yards
  • 3rd & 8 at TB 22
    (2:46 - 4th) M.Brown left end to TB 22 for no gain
9th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 37
    (1:49 - 4th) M.Brown right end to LA 43 for 6 yards
  • 2nd & 4 at LAR 43
    (1:43 - 4th) D.Henderson left end to LA 40 for -3 yards
  • 3rd & 7 at LAR 40
    (0:56 - 4th) D.Henderson up the middle to LA 42 for 2 yards

TexasRam

Legend
I couldn't disagree with this more, we weren't able to run the ball in the 2nd half at all. Not sure what game you were watching man. We had two good runs, Akers for 4 and Brown for 6 yards yards which were our two "real" runs of the 2nd half. Malcom ran for 14 yards on a 3rd and 16, which was us just giving up and playing for a punt, backed up against our own end zone. Goff carried us completely with his arm. Maybe the reason it seemed like they were better against the pass to you, was because we were so bad on early downs in the 2nd half, and this blame goes on McVay. There were a few early down incompletions and penalties, but mostly stuffed runs that put us into bad 2nd and 3rd down distances. The Bucs didn't "decide" to sit on routes and loosen up vs the run. We shot ourselves in the foot with our lack of running game, penalties and turnovers. When @OldSchool is talking about Goff in the 2nd half, I think its just the 2 INTs which hurt us and the delay of game penalties. But regardless we were much better throwing the ball all day and should have just abandoned the run.

Look at our early down efficiency and running success in the 2nd half:

--2nd half possessions--

1st)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 25
    (15:00 - 3rd) J.Goff pass short right to G.Everett to LA 24 for -1 yards
2nd)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 25
    (12:41 - 3rd) D.Henderson right end to LA 25 for no gain
  • 3rd & 1 at TB 25
    (9:09 - 3rd) (No Huddle) C.Akers up the middle to TB 26 for -1 yards
3rd)
  • 1st & 10 at TB 37
    (7:42 - 3rd) C.Akers right tackle to TB 35 for 2 yards
4th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 20
    (4:41 - 3rd) D.Henderson up the middle to LA 20 for no gain
5th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 42
    (15:00 - 4th) C.Akers up the middle to LA 46 for 4 yards
6th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 12
    (11:51 - 4th) R.Woods left end to LA 7 for -5 yards
  • 3rd & 16 at LAR 6
    (11:04 - 4th) M.Brown up the middle to LA 20 for 14 yards
7th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 43
    (8:16 - 4th) J.Goff FUMBLES (Aborted) at LA 42, and recovers at LA 42.
  • 2nd & 11 at LAR 42
    (7:27 - 4th) (Shotgun) PENALTY on LA, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at LA 42 - No Play.
  • 2nd & 16 at LAR 37
    (7:25 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Goff pass short middle intended for R.Woods INTERCEPTED
8th)
  • 1st & 10 at TB 24
    (2:56 - 4th) D.Henderson left tackle to TB 22 for 2 yards
  • 3rd & 8 at TB 22
    (2:46 - 4th) M.Brown left end to TB 22 for no gain
9th)
  • 1st & 10 at LAR 37
    (1:49 - 4th) M.Brown right end to LA 43 for 6 yards
  • 2nd & 4 at LAR 43
    (1:43 - 4th) D.Henderson left end to LA 40 for -3 yards
  • 3rd & 7 at LAR 40
    (0:56 - 4th) D.Henderson up the middle to LA 42 for 2 yards
I agree the running never got better.

In fact I would contend our offense slowed down in the second half due to the following:

1. Too much running.
2. Penalties - Holding and delay of game.
3 Missed FG
4. Too many short passes.
5. Henderson interception due to wrong route (my opinion)
6. Woods interception due to Woods held (my opinion)

Overall saw Mcvay go way to conservative with the runs, short passes, WR end around etc.

Everything was "safe". He should have let Goff loose as Goff was toasting the Bucs DB's all night long and was near unstoppable.

The 3rd and 1 Akers run before the missed FG should have been a pass, Goff had just connected on 5 passes on the drive and was unstoppable.

The 3rd and 5 short pass to Woods behind the LOS should have been a longer pass. This forced a punt.

The 3rd and 8 Brown run was a head scratcher. Goff had just had 3 big pass plays showing they couldnt stop him. Mcvay went conservative putting it on the K and the Defense. Both thankfully came through.

Overall, the second half drive killers were largely due to Mcvay going conservative. As much as I love him as a play caller, he really slowed down our ability to put the Bucs away when we could. But his plan worked so who am I to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.