The Goff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff had a good game and was a huge reason why we won.

But it's a team game, and Goff and the offense are not the strength of this team. Whenever we win a game, or Goff has a good game, people come into this thread and sing his praises like crazy, ignoring the bad things he did in the game. I'm fine with that, but you have to understand that when I come into a thread and see things that I consider to be blatantly wrong or misleading, I (and I'm guessing others) are going to comment on it.

Both INTs were awful, awful plays. Law of averages when throwing 51 times? Maybe. Extrapolated to 400 pass attempts, which is EXTREMELY low for an NFL QB these days, that's 16 INTs. That's way too many. The first one seemed sort of random, maybe Henderson was in the wrong spot, fine.

The second one was a potentially game losing INT.

Now, big picture - we physically could not run the ball. Tampa wasn't going to let it happen, so we had to throw. And they do have a good pass defense, so I'm not as hard on Goff as I normally would be for the turnovers.

The offense as a whole seems to leave a lot on the field, no matter what. Thankfully Staley and company are there to clean up the mess:

Woods - ran a route short of the sticks on 3rd and 5; had the first down on 2nd and 10 and tried to get more yards, ultimately leading to a missed FG

McVay - I give him a pass for the first series in the second half that went backwards, but after that, should have made better adjustments; the 3rd and 1 run after the Woods mistake to not pick up the first was stupid, and the decision to kick the FG was even worse

Goff - second INT was awful, and missed Reynolds once deep and once wide open on the slant. I hope Goff went to sleep wondering why we didn't throw the ball on 3rd and 8 with the GOAT on the other side - spoiler alert: he turns the ball over too much. I had zero problem with McVay playing that conservative for that reason.

Overall, great job by McVay, Goff and Woods - but IMO those three teamed up to allow the Bucs to hang around when this game should have been a 17 point victory, easily.

Please note that I said great job by McVay, Goff and Woods - I just also feel the game shouldn't have been close.

Have you actually looked at Goffs 40/1 TD-INT ratio for passing in the redzone?
Goff always gets his flaws over analyzed and his gifts are omitted or brushed off with the least amount of credit possible.
We won because Goff made the throws necessary to keep us in the lead. Yes its a team sport and the whole team had to help but all Goff did was throw for 3 TDs and a late 4th Qtr drive for a comeback. He threw 1 INT he clearly fucked up while TYING the MNF completion record, on the road Vs top 5 defense.

The kid deserves actual, legitimate credit for that game. He was challenged and he accepted and delivered. Imo we won because Goff won the game.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you actually looked at Goffs 40/1 TD-INT ratio for passing in the redzone?
Goff always gets his flaws over analyzed and his gifts are omitted or brushed off with the least amount of credit possible.
We won because Goff made the throws necessary to keep us in the lead. Yes its a team sport and the whole team had to help but all Goff did was throw for 3 TDs and a late 4th Qtr drive for a comeback. He threw 1 INT he clearly fucked up while TYING the MNF completion record, on the road Vs top 5 defense.

The kid deserves actual, legitimate credit for that game. He was challenged and he accepted and delivered. Imo we won because Goff won the game.

I get what you're saying, and I do give Goff credit - I thought what happened in the 2nd half was going to be the whole game, but he came out on fire. Definitely a big reason why we won, and he proved me wrong.

But it's disrespectful to our defense to say "we won because Goff won the game" - Tampa scored 10 points on 45 yards off of two turnovers in the second half. The defense stopped them on 4th and 1, and the offense couldn't do anything with it. Once the game was tied, we did move down field - but left so much time on the clock that the defense had to win the game. Then, after the defense got the INT, the offense still couldn't slam the door by picking up the first down, and we had to punt, which inexplicably went straight to the returner, which almost gave me a heart attack.

Do we win that game without Goff? No.

Do we win that game with Goff and last years defense? No.

The second turnover was also a situational awareness thing - we were up by a TD with the defense playing great - no reason to force that throw. To me that's not just an INT - it's an extremely low IQ play that I would expect from a Jameis Winston, not Goff.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don’t know who needs to hear this, but...

He doesn’t have to be elite.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not gonna come with stats, or woulda, coulda, shoulda stuff about the game. I'm gonna go to the old "eyeball test"...and from what I saw last night. Goff was GAME READY AND CAME TO PLAY.

To me, it was his best game this year...even with 2 picks (which I think some people give INTs to much weight on a QBs performance).

Goff had command at the LOS...and it seemed to me he had more liberty to change plays than in previous games.

He had good mobility, he felt the pressure, and he bought time when he had to...AND THE RAMS WON!!!

You can have all the stats, QBRs, analysis you want...I KNOW WHAT I SAW LAST NIGHT...A GAMER IN GOFF!!!

That is all...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give him backhanded compliments all you want but we don’t win last night without him. Some have always loved Wentz but we don’t win last night with Wentz. I don’t know that any qb in our division wins last night aside from maybe Wilson but he’s been terrible lately.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I liked the way he stepped up in the pocket a few times. It really bought him some time. If he can continue to do that one thing, he's just going to keep getting better.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That was a gut check performance, and he delivered. Going against an elite D, on the road, with little support from the run game given how good that D is against the run. It was on his shoulders, and he delivered. He did make a few mistakes in the 2nd half, but with the game on the line, he brushed off those mistakes and then stepped up to drive us downfield to put us in position to win. It wasn't his most flawless game of the year, but it might have been his best.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Short memory when it comes to picks. The first one, Henderson clearly screwed up. He wasn't looking for the ball and Goff expected him to stop but he kept going. Good learning tool in a win. Good reason to bench him on passing downs in a loss. Goff was lights out last night. At halftime he was 21 of 25 and then the Henderson screen to start the third. He recovered and played a solid game.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do give Goff credit

But do you really? When you do say something positive it seems it is a backhanded compliment that is always followed by something negative.

The 2 picks were not awful awful throws, the 2 that sourpuss threw were awful awful throws. Goff's 1st pick as it has been said and from what I saw Hendo should have stopped and turned, on the 2nd Woods got ran over. Partly because it looked like he slowed down, had he kept going he catches it and most likely gets lit up. There were some bad calls by the refs last night but so many more non calls. enough non calls that it is at least a 14 point swing,

Goff was a 76% completion rate last night for nearly 400 yards and 3 TD's when we ran for 37 yards. I am not going to debate about because it is fruitless to do so, as neither of us is going to change our minds. Happy Thanksgiving.

And I bet Goff went to bed very happy and satisfied with the win next to his hottie.

Edit; there was a stat that popped up last night that at some point Goff was 11/11 against the blitz! Money!

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But do you really? When you do say something positive it seems it is a backhanded compliment that is always followed by something negative.

The 2 picks were not awful awful throws, the 2 that sourpuss threw were awful awful throws. Goff's 1st pick as it has been said and from what I saw Hendo should have stopped and turned, on the 2nd Woods got ran over. Partly because it looked like he slowed down, had he kept going he catches it and most likely gets lit up. There were some bad calls by the refs last night but so many more non calls. enough non calls that it is at least a 14 point swing,

Goff was a 76% completion rate last night for nearly 400 yards and 3 TD's when we ran for 37 yards. I am not going to debate about because it is fruitless to do so, as neither of us is going to change our minds. Happy Thanksgiving.

And I bet Goff went to bed very happy and satisfied with the win next to his hottie.

Edit; there was a stat that popped up last night that at some point Goff was 11/11 against the blitz! Money!

I think at times people take my posts somewhat out of context - I agree with everything you said except about the second INT - to me it was just as bad as Brady's first INT.

It was a huge improvement - and as you pointed out, a huge improvement against the blitz.

What I mean by out of context is, I'm typically responding to people who are giving Goff too much credit for the win. It probably seems like I dislike Goff because most Rams fans (at least here) like him A LOT. I think it's a personality thing to a certain degree. Goff, this year, is Marcus Peters in terms of play, 100% - when Peters was here, there were games where he looked amazing, made huge plays, and contributed to shutting the Patriots down in the Super Bowl. Then there were games where he was bad and got beat constantly. That's Goff this year.

When those things were happening to Peters, I defended him because I felt that overall, his play was better than what people on here, for whatever the rhyme or reason, were giving him credit for. I do the opposite with Goff because, for whatever reason, people tend to give him more credit than he deserves IMO.

Their performances are damn near identical in terms of consistency - but lots of people disliked Peters from the moment he was traded for, and lots of people liked Goff the moment he was drafted.

So for me, I'm probably actually giving Goff more credit than I usually would because Tampa has an elite defense. There are certain bad plays that, to me, just can't happen, regardless of how much good a player has done:

Getting beat for a deep TD, fumbling in certain scenarios, taking a sack in certain scenarios, throwing a bad interception in certain scenarios - Peters got ROASTED for the Saints game a few years ago, including by me, while Goff had a host of people lined up to defend him after the Miami debacle.

I want Goff to be better - I want him to play a complete game - but for whatever reason, even in a blowout win against Philly, he cools down quite a bit in second halves. Not sure if that's a McVay issue or Goff issue, but it's an issue.

So overall, I should probably be giving it to Goff the way people gave it to Peters after the long TD allowed to Michael Thomas in 2018 - it's a play that no NFL player should allow, just like Goff's second INT is a play no NFL QB should make. Yes, it was a timing throw, and maybe Woods got hung up, but it looked like an inaccurate pass to me.

RamWoodie

Legend
Let's not forget...last night was the first time Kupp really looked 100%.

I was like..."There you are Kupp...where you been dude?"

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I can be hard on Goff, but I do think that he is looked at differently. Mostly his head coach gets credit for the good he does and he gets credit for the bad he does. And the really great thing about Goff is he takes all the blame he can. Like in the interview after the game. He says I made some dumb mistakes. Doesn't say we made some mistakes. The snap was all on the center, but he says nothing. The screen interception, Hendo is supposed to go to his spot and turn around and from there make moves one way or the other. The pass rush is coming fast because they let them come, so there is no time to make a move and then turn around. But Goff takes the mistake and with a smile. Goff is the Rodney Dangerfield of QBs. He gets no respect.

Tano

Legend
I think at times people take my posts somewhat out of context - I agree with everything you said except about the second INT - to me it was just as bad as Brady's first INT.

It was a huge improvement - and as you pointed out, a huge improvement against the blitz.

What I mean by out of context is, I'm typically responding to people who are giving Goff too much credit for the win. It probably seems like I dislike Goff because most Rams fans (at least here) like him A LOT. I think it's a personality thing to a certain degree. Goff, this year, is Marcus Peters in terms of play, 100% - when Peters was here, there were games where he looked amazing, made huge plays, and contributed to shutting the Patriots down in the Super Bowl. Then there were games where he was bad and got beat constantly. That's Goff this year.

When those things were happening to Peters, I defended him because I felt that overall, his play was better than what people on here, for whatever the rhyme or reason, were giving him credit for. I do the opposite with Goff because, for whatever reason, people tend to give him more credit than he deserves IMO.

Their performances are damn near identical in terms of consistency - but lots of people disliked Peters from the moment he was traded for, and lots of people liked Goff the moment he was drafted.

So for me, I'm probably actually giving Goff more credit than I usually would because Tampa has an elite defense. There are certain bad plays that, to me, just can't happen, regardless of how much good a player has done:

Getting beat for a deep TD, fumbling in certain scenarios, taking a sack in certain scenarios, throwing a bad interception in certain scenarios - Peters got ROASTED for the Saints game a few years ago, including by me, while Goff had a host of people lined up to defend him after the Miami debacle.

I want Goff to be better - I want him to play a complete game - but for whatever reason, even in a blowout win against Philly, he cools down quite a bit in second halves. Not sure if that's a McVay issue or Goff issue, but it's an issue.

So overall, I should probably be giving it to Goff the way people gave it to Peters after the long TD allowed to Michael Thomas in 2018 - it's a play that no NFL player should allow, just like Goff's second INT is a play no NFL QB should make. Yes, it was a timing throw, and maybe Woods got hung up, but it looked like an inaccurate pass to me.
I basically said this in another thread that I defend Goff a lot because there are some people who piss on his overall performance and think we should get another QB when I believe Goff is an above average QB who sometimes makes silly mistakes.

5 years is a lot of experience but I see veterans make the same silly mistakes just not as often as Goff does. I hope with more experience will come less silly mistakes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TBH, and I get where you're coming from on a lot of your comments, but almost all of your compliments of guys you're critical of come off as backhanded compliments. You hedge most all of them with a but. To a lot of people that comes off as lacking sincerity and you're not really complimenting them. Just my take.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt

People hated Peter's because of his personality and unwillingness to contribute to stopping the run game. Nobody serious ever questioned his ability as a cover corner. The reason that Peters got flack when he blew a coverage is mostly because of traits tied to his personality (which people already didn't like). He liked to gamble with coverage and it would lead to breakdowns.

Whenever a QB has a bad game the issues are much more difficult to diagnose. The Miami game is a perfect example. The scheme was bad. The play calling didn't play to the Rams strengths. Constant delay of games. When Goff gets blown up and fumbles for a score, it's Goff's fault for not changing the play or getting the ball out quicker, but it's also the RBs fault for not recognize the blitz and picking up the protection, or the line calling out which man is unblocked, or the coach for not preparing for zero blitz or designing a play with pressure coming from the opposite side of the first read. When the Rams came back for the second half, the offense looked night and day better.

When things go wrong with the offense (like last night) I think people are way too quick to believe that another QB would have done better. Russell Wilson didn't, Tom Brady didn't. They are throwing picks and taking sacks that are significantly worse than Goff. I see it every week. Brady should have had 4 INTs last night. On two of those picks the defender didn't even have to move from his spot. Fuller was literally covering grass.

KayJay

Starter
If you don't think Goff played a good game, you're in the wrong business. The man was asked to throw 50 times roflmao. He had two picks, one arguably wasn't his fault because Henderson totally forgot the play. The dude completed 76% of his passes. Was he perfect? No, but he still put us in position to win the game. He owned the interception and got down the field for us to put points on the board. The defense did their job and stopped Brady. A good all around team win, but the defense didn't score 3 touchdowns; Goff did.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If you don't think Goff played a good game, you're in the wrong business. The man was asked to throw 50 times roflmao. He had two picks, one arguably wasn't his fault because Henderson totally forgot the play. The dude completed 76% of his passes. Was he perfect? No, but he still put us in position to win the game. He owned the interception and got down the field for us to put points on the board. The defense did their job and stopped Brady. A good all around team win, but the defense didn't score 3 touchdowns; Goff did.

He didn't just get the down the field once in a hurry but twice. Once at the end of the first half and again at the end. Dude played his ass off. It's a bad week for haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.