Still no respect for Goff ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I was an unapologetic homer for Sam Bradford and I saw more from Goff on Sunday than I ever saw from Sammy, so you bet your ass I'm going to be a homer for Goff too.

So I'll just preemptively answer all questions.

Yes, I think he's elite.
Yes, I think he's top 10
Yes, I think he'll be top 5 after this year
No, I don't think he's perfect
Yes, I do think he has room to grow
I agree, when he does reach his ceiling as he's not even close yet, it's going to be amazing
No, I wouldn't take any of the QB's that I currently rank above him over Goff, they're trending down thanks to age or the team around him getting worse and Goff is trending up. Why would I buy high and sell low?
No, you wont change my mind.

Next question.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What is funny to me, is that I don't see any posters in this thread referring to Goff as "elite", yet that term is getting thrown around.
The 4th Q comeback requirement is also funny. No QB "routinely" brings his team back from 2.5 scores down, particularly in the 4th Q.
Fourth quarter come backs seems like a weird baseline to use, doesn't it?

In order to get a fourth quarter comeback, one has to be losing first. Seems like a weird thing to want in a QB.

I also don't get the logic of it. In order to be the best, you have to be on your way to getting beat by someone else. This is movie logic at it's finest. The best drama and emotional connection comes from characters being on the brink of loss coming back to win (in whatever situation they're in). Naturally people get conditioned to look for this in "the best" (because movies are always about "the best"... Usually... Usually always, yep).

Reality is that the best just put the competition down. The mythological perfect QB would have zero fourth quarter come backs because he would never end a drive without a touchdown and a 2 point conversion. The closer you get to never being in a losing position, the closer you get to being the best.

In summation, fourth quarter comebacks (got it to work that time, stupid auto correct) are a terrible and illogical measure of QB greatness, possibly caused by a desire to see drama rather than quality.

Last edited:

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
But which of these guys would be better with the Rams? ok, Rogers and maybe Brady. Not Brees, he can’t make the throws any more that Goff can. Not Ryan, too inconsistent. Not Wilson, great at making scrambling plays, throws downfield well, but not a pocket qb who can throw the ball over the line on a rope to not so tall receivers such as Cooks. Actually, imo Goff is a perfect fit for what McVay wants to do.

Agreed man. I'll take Goff because of the upside. We still don't know what his ceiling is.

Ramzheart

Rookie
I am a Goff fan.

And I'm not saying that I'm not happy - I was very happy with Jared's overall performance. For what I expect out of him this year, so far he's doing great. Me pointing out his mistakes was more to highlight why he's not a top 5 QB YET, in my opinion. There are even some more that I left out.

I think maybe this board has some PTSD from the Bradford situation and then to a lesser extent, Keenum the first year back in LA.

I am not saying that I don't like Goff. I am not saying that he's not a good player - he is. He's a probowl caliber QB.

Maybe I should have started off with this: QBs are similar to max contracts in the NBA - if you have the absolute best - a superstar, elite, whatever you want to call it - you're getting a really good deal.

But the deathblow for NFL franchises - in terms of super bowl chances - is the above average/franchise caliber QB. Because this QB ends up being paid extremely high - i.e. a max contract for an NBA player that is just an all star - in both the NBA and NFL teams end up being somewhat forced into paying these guys. And once they do, often times they never sniff a super bowl.

Stafford/Ryan/Wilson/Carr/Eli/Garrapolo/Tannehil/Flacco/Cousins/Cam - Goff is better than a lot of these guys and worse than some - but one thing they all have in common: they are being paid around what Rodgers/Brees/Brady are being paid. Think about that for a minute...

So I really want Goff to develop into that top 5/elite - whatever you want to call it - QB group. Based on the way he played last year, his agent is already drawing up a contract that just adds $ to it every time a QB gets paid. Whenever we re-sign Jared - he will be the highest paid QB in the NFL. So IMO he needs to be at the very least a top 5 QB for the Rams to stay successful - and I am a Rams fan first and foremost. Not one of those QBs above have won a super bowl with their inflated contracts. Eli comes closest.

Apologies if I came off as if I have some kind of issue with Goff - I promise I don't. I am very happy he's the QB of the Rams. I overreacted and came off as a detractor and that was not my intent. I just see some things that I want to see him get better with and wanted to discuss them - but again, I didn't do a good job of communicating, so I apologize.
No need to apologise, you have your right to your own opinions.
I totally agree with you about over paying QB's. Maybe since Les comes from Atlanta he'll follow their blueprint since they have been successful at paying there QB and keeping their nucleus together.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Goff is the best possible QB for Sean McVay.
Infact I think he is already one of the best QBs in the league.

I also feel like he is right now, on pure talent, a top 8 - 5 QB.
His arm + touch + composure + accuracy + command + decision making.. just so good at all of the key attributes for a passer in McVays offense.
Like every QB he has flaws, but unlike every QB, his strengths are so good they look deceptively easy.

Lots of QBs can get hot for a few games, but since week 1 of last season, Jared Goff has consistently been a difference maker at the QB spot, consistently getting better as time goes on.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fuck me. Have you ever seen a bigger clown show than these morons? I tried hard to watch them but after 30 seconds of each video i had to turn them off. They would have made more sense if they bared their arses and farted for a minute. Cowherd was the only one that made a bit of sense.

When the rams win the superbowl they should post all these videos on their website and laugh at each bozo talking shit.

TexasRam

Legend
That Dilfer video is nice. Dilfer sees the talent Goff has and some of the Elite skills he has. Quick twitch mind, elite anticipation, Elite 10-20 yd accuracy etc

Dilfer is now officially out of my doghouse.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
To me, an elite qb is a future HOFer. Brady, Brees, Rodgers (if Rodgers keeps getting injured, he might slip).

Then there's the rest of the league.

TexasRam

Legend
To me, an elite qb is a future HOFer. Brady, Brees, Rodgers (if Rodgers keeps getting injured, he might slip).

Agreed. But neither Brady or Brees had stats better than Goff until their 8th year in the league. After that they entered Elite status.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Is Goff elite? Seems to have hijacked this thread. IMO, no, not yet, but he is improving, and more importantly...is Goff our franchise QB? The answer is a definitive, YES. That is all I care about. He's OUR guy, he is, and will be our QB for a long time. He is good enough, he has room to improve, he is really good already. Heck, I'll put him in the top 15 easy, and he is probably a top 10 guy, and if not now, by the end of the season. I expect nothing less, and over the next 5 to 10 years, he could be top 5, because he has that talent, mindset, talent around him, and coaching.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what id say. If you can offer a valid argument as to why a certain guy could be considered the best QB in the league (which is always debatable) then I think you could call the guy "elite". Elite meaning the best. Anyone else is second rate at that point, right?
I can't (offer a valid argument).

These terms are totally subjective. I might classify the best as the QB with the fewest sacks. Tell me that's not a great stat. ;)

We've spent pages now on debating "Elite" and "Top 10" and "Top 5" and no two have really agreed.

To me, trying to categorize these QBs doesn't make sense. Put one of the three you like and place them on the Fisher-led offenses and I suspect they wouldn't be top 3 anymore.

Anyway, best of luck trying to figure out who's the best and why.

I've said my piece.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Aaron Rodgers is a HOF if he never plays another down...
Eli Manning & Roethlisberger are HOF, no doubt. Probably Rivers too

Ramit

ROD GRUNT

These terms are totally subjective. I might classify the best as the QB with the fewest sacks. Tell me that's not a great stat. ;)

We've spent pages now on debating "Elite" and "Top 10" and "Top 5" and no two have really agreed.

To me, trying to categorize these QBs doesn't make sense. Put one of the three you like and place them on the Fisher-led offenses and I suspect they wouldn't be top 3 anymore.

I've said my piece.

Completely agreed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've said my piece.
Who gets to decide what "valid" means?
Lol

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What is funny to me, is that I don't see any posters in this thread referring to Goff as "elite", yet that term is getting thrown around.
The 4th Q comeback requirement is also funny. No QB "routinely" brings his team back from 2.5 scores down, particularly in the 4th Q.

Lol, I take 2.5 scores as more than two TD's. I also doubt anyone can come back routinely from that deficit. The best quarterbacks don't have to most the time.But the ones who are elevated to legendary status are the ones who seem to have a knack for coming through when they need it in the 4th quarter.

The thing is, I'd bet a lot of times that they weren't that sharp for 3 quarters which is why they had to mount a comeback in the final minutes. They do fail sometimes. Brady couldn't bring the Pats back against the Jags.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Probably a better metric would be how Goff performs when the game is on the line. He did fine being down at Oakland and last week wasn't any measure. I think he's a elite top 10 QB right now although we could debate where in the top 10 he resides.

For this season I'm perfectly happy to sit and watch the Rams win 34-0 ever week. We were used to trying to come back from 2.5 scores weekly under Jeff Fisher.

Fisher to his credit, did assemble some good talent but he didn't get the most out of that talent. McVay and Wade are getting the most out of the talent and we are enjoying the results.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just imagine if we had a kicker last game. The offense wouldn’t have went for it twice in he redzone. That puts us at 40 points. Probably 43 since Goff most likely doesn’t make that throw to Cooks that was picked. In Goffs mind, it was either get a first down or turnover on downs. Also, if Jones doesn’t knock that ball to a wide open Cooks that’s 4 more.

Of course, this is playing the “what if” game. But we could have scored 50 on Sunday with a kicker.