Starting to think we need to make a move or do something about our DE situation if we want a chance of repeating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
One thing we’ll see a lot of, I think, with the addition of Wagner, is what the kids are calling “sim pressure”…

They’ll give teams lots of looks where 6-7 guys are in position to rush the passer.. but only 4 will rush.

Wagner, Jones, Hollins & Floyd give them a lot of flexibility.

They’ll have to play more games up front without Von.. but they can still be really good.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Sounds like Robert Quinn wants out of Chicago
We could use Quinn as a situational pass rusher for sure. Not sure I'd want him for more than that. And I'd rather see if Chris Garrett can fill that role first, as a young player with a lot more tread on the tires, and costing a fraction of what Quinn would demand. I can't see Quinn being keen to go to a team offering the kind of money and usage I suspect the Rams would provide. But if the Rams see him as someone that can step in and contribute lots, and want to pay him accordingly, I am going to completely trust their judgement. The Rams' pro scouting is absolutely impeccable.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
If we’re going to dream upon a DE/Edge type, I’m dreaming of Montes Sweat. Monster. All the tools to be elite and impactful. Seems like a matter of time before he truly breaks out.

dang

Legend
If we’re going to dream upon a DE/Edge type, I’m dreaming of Montes Sweat. Monster. All the tools to be elite and impactful. Seems like a matter of time before he truly breaks out.
Kinda agree. If we trade for someone I’d prefer they be an ascending player that could be around for a while if they work out. Quinn seems like a one year rental.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't believe management plays Madden. Maybe they sit back and see how Hollins, Lewis, Garrett & company shape up for now? Much like they did when the OL was being perceived as a clusterfook.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Just rewatched the Tampa and Cards playoff games...
They will need and probably get greatly improved play from Wagner and Jones over Reeder and Howard. I think both of them are a step up over either of them when it comes to blitzing... although Reeder didnt' suck at that.
The Rams are going to need them and the secondary to take a real step up to make up for losing Von. His impact in the playoffs cannot be minimized.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We picked up Von mid-season. Same with Ramsey. And Fowler. And OBJ.

In keeping with that pattern, I fully expect the Rams to add to this roster and its defensive front mid-season, if the team appears to be in contention again as we all suspect it will be.

McVay and Snead likely want to see just how much extra help they need, and where they need it most, after getting a look at our in-house options first. Not a bad strategy.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Just rewatched the Tampa and Cards playoff games...
They will need and probably get greatly improved play from Wagner and Jones over Reeder and Howard. I think both of them are a step up over either of them when it comes to blitzing... although Reeder didnt' suck at that.
The Rams are going to need them and the secondary to take a real step up to make up for losing Von. His impact in the playoffs cannot be minimized.
Miller was electric. he was just as effective as Donald IMO this past Super Bowl run, which is mind-blowing. He really found his stride. We paid a steep price considering we could not retain him. But it was worth it as we won the Super Bowl. We would not have done so without Miller. No chance.

dang

Legend
We picked up Von mid-season. Same with Ramsey. And Fowler. And OBJ.

In keeping with that pattern, I fully expect the Rams to add to this roster and its defensive front mid-season, if the team appears to be in contention again as we all suspect it will be.

McVay and Snead likely want to see just how much extra help they need, and where they need it most, after getting a look at our in-house options first. Not a bad strategy.
Don’t forget injury adjustments. It’s good to have some room to maneuver if any injuries are impactful enough to warrant a trade or pick up.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Honestly there is a ton of talk about Millers contribution in the playoffs and yes it was dominant but truthfully it was a huge luxury not typical for a team to have 3 dominant dl/olbs on one squad. We had him for 1/3 of a season he is replaced by Wagner who brings other skills for an entire season to me it is a wash because we are getting Wagner all season.

I am sure Snead will make a move of some sort when the time is right but now is not the time. We need to see how the season plays out injury wise up to the trade deadline then reassess that includes OBJ. We must have money in our back pocket for a rainy day (injury) and Snead knows this. There will be some other version of Von available whether it is a CB, lineman or OLB that we will acquire.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Honestly there is a ton of talk about Millers contribution in the playoffs and yes it was dominant but truthfully it was a huge luxury not typical for a team to have 3 dominant dl/olbs on one squad. We had him for 1/3 of a season he is replaced by Wagner who brings other skills for an entire season to me it is a wash because we are getting Wagner all season.

I am sure Snead will make a move of some sort when the time is right but now is not the time. We need to see how the season plays out injury wise up to the trade deadline then reassess that includes OBJ. We must have money in our back pocket for a rainy day (injury) and Snead knows this. There will be some other version of Von available whether it is a CB, lineman or OLB that we will acquire.
And Jones is entering his second season.
If those two stay healthy, it certainly will help make up for losing Miller a little.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Who will step in at EDGE with the loss of Von Miller?​

By CliffJackson@CliffJacksonn Jul 4, 2022,
1656951652831.png

With the loss of Von Miller, who signed a lucrative deal with the Buffalo Bills, the Rams will need to find a replacement on the current roster that can produce immediately. On the roster, as of today, the OLBs on the team are Leonard Floyd, Justin Hollins, Chris Garrett, Terrell Lewis, and rookie Daniel Hardy. Floyd is a lock to start on the edge for the Rams, the issue lies in the opposite side of himself.

Last season, prior to trading for Von Miller, the team used more of a rotational approach to the position on the opposite end of Leonard Floyd. A combo between Justin Hollins and Terrell Lewis was the go to, producing a total of 5 sacks between the two of them (3 for Lewis, 2 for Hollins). Hollins’ season was altered early on, as an injury in week 3 forced him to only play in 8 regular season games. Lewis suffered a back injury during the season, appearing in the first 11 games before being shut down for the season.

Arizona Cardinals v Los Angeles Rams

Both men were serviceable, so it would not surprise me if the Rams took another committee type approach to the position. The issue with them seems to be health, as they have yet to prove their bodies can hold up in a long and grueling NFL season.

With youngsters Chris Garrett and Daniel Hardy being added to the mix, there are quite a few options for the Rams in terms of how they decide to mix these guys up, creating an opporotunity to set them up for success by putting them in situations they each can excel in. In my eyes, in week 1, there will be a 3 man rotation opposite Floyd, with Justin Hollins getting a majority of the snaps to start out. Then, playing time will come down to whoever is making the biggest impact, and rightfully so.

oldnotdead

Legend
PATIENCE
There is no need to hurry now. IMO it's clear they are waiting until the end of August now to make a decision. They are going to assess Lewis, Hollins, Garrett, and Hardy to see if an edge is actually needed. I think the Rams will watch who gets cut and for teams that are looking to unload a player.

The Rams with Hollins/Lewis opposite Floyd were good, not great. The problem was Hollins got hurt in week 3 and didn't return until December. Lewis wasn't able to carry the load alone and Okoronkwo showed his limitations. This is what necessitated the trade for Miller.

The key will be for Lewis to finally have a break-out year. His inconsistent technique has been his limiting factor. If he can put it all together he can be that starter they need opposite, Floyd. He has 1st round talent that has flashed at times. Now is the time for him to emerge. He might be the primary reason they are holding back on making a move at edge. Lewis can be an 8-11 sack type edge. If he can get 6-7 sacks this year they will have found their complimentary edge. He can do it as he did have 3 sacks, 4 TFL, and 7 QB hits in 4 starts. He needs to take the next step.

When healthy Hollins showed himself a capable edge. who can rush, set a hard edge and drop into coverage. Hollins is a complete OLB. Okoronkwo is gone, and Garrett has moved up on the depth chart. Chris isn't the most natural pass rusher. He struggles to bend around the edge, but if he has improved his technique he could be a decent rotational player.

If Lewis can emerge as a solid edge, allowing Hollins to play that weakside OLB, that would give Morris two 3 good blitzing LBs in Hollins, Wagner and Jones.

Hardy on the other hand could evolve into a pretty good edge. The issue for him will be if he can drop into coverage. He's at least a year away from challenging for snaps but the talent and work ethic is there.

MachS

Hall of Fame
PFF ranked us as the 4th most talented roster. Here is what they put for our weakness and it's hard to disagree-

Biggest weakness: The Von Miller loss on the edge isn't an easy one to stomach for the Rams. The pass-rushing trio of Donald, Miller and Leonard Floyd played a massive role in their postseason run. Now, the Rams are one Floyd injury away from starting Justin Hollins and Terrell Lewis or Chris Garrett on the edge. Those three have combined for just 61 quarterback pressures in six NFL seasons. For reference, Miller recorded 54 quarterback pressures in his 12 games with the Rams.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
PFF ranked us as the 4th most talented roster. Here is what they put for our weakness and it's hard to disagree-

Biggest weakness: The Von Miller loss on the edge isn't an easy one to stomach for the Rams. The pass-rushing trio of Donald, Miller and Leonard Floyd played a massive role in their postseason run. Now, the Rams are one Floyd injury away from starting Justin Hollins and Terrell Lewis or Chris Garrett on the edge. Those three have combined for just 61 quarterback pressures in six NFL seasons. For reference, Miller recorded 54 quarterback pressures in his 12 games with the Rams.

you can't assume a player is going to get injured. that's stupid.

did he say the chiefs are a mahommes injury away from going 4 and 13?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I think the Von Miller experience was awesome & won The Rams a SuperBowl.
Floyd was really injured most of last season,so expect him to be even better next season.
Hollins had to play another position at LBer because Von Miller was so dialed in. Hollins was ready to take over if Von got hurt.He looked good coming out of training camp.If I recall he got injured a couple times before he tore his peck? However that was he should continue to improve his craft as a Pass Rusher.
—T. Lewis is a beast.He is a Dawg, & ready to eat.I don’t think he is a pure Edge Rusher though? I’ll find it interesting to see how he does in 2022.
-Garrett is such an unknown because of who he has played against.In the preseason he was dominating.He has skills,but he has to prove it still.
—I think The Rams could go a little more 4-3(4-2) & get pressure in other ways.

MachS

Hall of Fame
you can't assume a player is going to get injured. that's stupid.

did he say the chiefs are a mahommes injury away from going 4 and 13?

I dont think its assuming, more so highlighting the lack of depth. Behind Floyd we have complete question marks and Hollins is probably an average at best NFL player. But when Floyd is on the sideline it's very possible we get zero rush from the edge. I think relying on Hollins/T Lewis/ Garrett is pretty foolish and I'd bet a decent amount of money we trade for an Edge during the season. It's pretty obvious this is the weakest position group on the entire roster. Less of an Edge rush means more focus on AD.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think its assuming, more so highlighting the lack of depth. Behind Floyd we have complete question marks and Hollins is probably an average at best NFL player. But when Floyd is on the sideline it's very possible we get zero rush from the edge. I think relying on Hollins/T Lewis/ Garrett is pretty foolish and I'd bet a decent amount of money we trade for an Edge during the season. It's pretty obvious this is the weakest position group on the entire roster. Less of an Edge rush means more focus on AD.

nobody has 4 edge rushers that could start at the drop of a hat.

the rams have floyd and some youngsters. could be good, could be bad. they were pretty decent last season before miller got there. he just put them over the top once they made the playoffs.

and yep, the rams sure could trade for a decent rusher if they're not happy with how the edge rush is going during the season.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You never know but a USFL Edge might enter the picture. We'll end up picking up an Edge from somewhere, if not, just to get him on the PS for development. This team will be better than last year's SB Champs. Feeling it already.