Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah nobody should be making excuses for the mistakes, they happen and he has made them. He has us in 1st and is top 5 in most any metric that matters. Let the dude be human and if the rest do their job we are fine. QB isn't holding us back, passing game is solid
That's really the bottom line (pun not intended) and I agree.

I can get over the tipped pass ints and the occasional wonky throw getting picked.. but the pick 6s and throws into coverage are issues that will kill us in the end. Human is one thing. We can live with human. We can win with it. But the pick 6s need to stay in the past this season.

Ellard80

Legend
The pass was to Higbee.

It was a bad decision.

I just went back and looked at the full-game copy... he never even looked at Kupp. Awful decision and pass.

not sure about that.. against detroit he looked at higbee and threw it to kupp for TD on almost an indentical play

I played it back a few times and from the trajectory of the ball couldn't tell for sure.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
not sure about that.. against detroit he looked at higbee and threw it to kupp for TD on almost an indentical play

I played it back a few times and from the trajectory of the ball couldn't tell for sure.
Sorry, no doubt on the int of the direction of the throw. Replay angle was behind Stafford and was clear.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
That's really the bottom line (pun not intended) and I agree.

I can get over the tipped pass ints and the occasional wonky throw getting picked.. but the pick 6s and throws into coverage are issues that will kill us in the end. Human is one thing. We can live with human. We can win with it. But the pick 6s need to stay in the past this season.
Agreed, The mistakes have been game changers especially in the red zone on either end. What I see is a guy that when the play breaks down and he improvises the percentage of success and likely hood of a mistake play against him. The rest is mostly gunslinger mentality and the usual mistakes that accompany. For a GS he is quite efficient but this team doesn't need the high reward/high risk plays as much

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
McVay would also have Goff roll out in the games where the entire OL was having a bad day.

There have been games this year where McVay had Stafford roll out in games where the OL was having a bad day.
Occasionally yes, not nearly as much as Goff and almost never in the first 8 games.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The pass was to Higbee.

It was a bad decision.

I just went back and looked at the full-game copy... he never even looked at Kupp. Awful decision and pass.
then why is the defender on Higbee running away from higbee to get to Kupp?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Coaches and players are in much, much different jobs.

You probably missed the part where I said that I'm sure Morris would tell you, like any other D coordinator, that he's made bad calls this year. I'm sure he has.
McVay has made plenty of bad play calls this year.

I've pointed out when people's specific play criticisms and suggestions have major flaws. Specifically, the end of the AZ game.. and I also broke down the Vikings late TD drive to blow up some narratives.

The big difference here is that I'm not saying "Fire Stafford", or anything close. You may forget the Morris discussion thread was started as "Fire Morris."

So, I think you're out of line.
While they have different jobs they are still dealing with similar issues. New team, new system, 30 players on covid, no practice in 2 weeks, and huge pressure to perform, so not out of line.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I never said fire Morris. In fact as usual the small percentage of opions seems to get to much focus and attention. Most of the complaints were just that. Complaints and concerns. And justified. While Morris and Stafford have different jobs, they are both dealing with similar issues of new team, new system and huge pressure. So not out of line. By the way, just pointing out how when Morris did get aggressive the defense had some failures, misses the point. Of course a player can out perform other players and make what ever call a failure. It doesn't prove your point in anyway. It doesn't lessen anybody's concern that Morris is going to soft coverages when most of us think it is the defensive players on this team's weakness. Moving on.

The fact is QB is hard. Things happen fast. It causes mistakes by all QBs. I also am concerned with some of the decisions of Stafford, but I think he deserves some time to grow into the system and get used to the fact this team doesn't need him to make every play. He gained some bad habits on a bad team. Hard to change. Also to ignore the upheaval of covid and next to no practice and short week going into the Vikings game does him a disservice. Plus when the team really needed him to come thru in the last 2 drives he did.
It's out of line.

It's comparing two very different things in effort to pursue an agenda, that agenda being to prove that I lack credibility or am intransigent when it comes to the Morris issue.

I didn't accuse you of saying "Fire Morris", I was merely giving you context for that discussion. People were saying fire him and I was pointing out how ridiculous that is.
We're talking about Stafford and whether he's worth 2 seconds in one thread and about his career arch on this one.

I think *you're* missing the point when it comes to some specific plays and situations in the Morris discussion.. because I am responding to *specific* plays that people are calling "mistakes" and pointing out that their recommended approach ended in the same result.

Stafford's been incredible at times.. and I'm THRILLED to praise him for it! And when plays don't work.. drives stall.. etc... I don't jump on him for that. Those, to me, can easily be attributed to the things you've mentioned.

But turnovers, especially deep in your own territory, are game changers and can't happen. Sure, they can happen to all QBs, but they've happened to Stafford, the QB on a team with one of the best olines in the NFL, at a startlingly high rate for a team that expects to contend.

Fun fact.. Matthew Stafford is #6 on the list with most career pick 6s.
That's 7 more than #2 active Matt Ryan.
8 more than Brady.
23 more than Aaron Rogers.

So, it's actually just part of his QB dna, to this point in his career.... and he needs to prevent it from popping up in the playoffs.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
A lot of excuses being made for Stafford. This is the player he has been his whole career.

He needs a good team around him to win a championship to make up for the mistakes. Fortunately the defense has turned things around.
And if Brady didn't have his D step up for him in the playoffs he wouldn't have won either. It is the same for every QB. Some can over come more than others, but everybody on the team needs to be bailed out by his teammates at sometime or other. Stafford came thru when they need him in the last 2 scoring drives when the D let the team down.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
His numbers indicate he handles pressure more often than not. So anyone can pick apart any qb. Maholmes was playing like dog shit turnover after turnover but he was hardly as attacked as Stafford Patrick was bubble wrapped but Stafford can't win he is a loser....Maholmes need to cut out the overs as does Stafford take that away and who is having the better season than Patrick orany others for that matter.

Scary is Stafford can even play better let's hope he does so we can mow everyone down!!!! Amazing some qbs untouchable and others can be picked on. It's like the uncool kid that used to get picked on on school Stafford is uncool lol. I know no playoff wins no Superbowl etc. Can you dip shit media dopes let the dude get to the playoffs then rub your hands and hope for his failure so you can have your narrative. Such a joke
Very little BOTD for Stafford.

“He’s never won a playoff game”

Give us about 3 weeks…I have no doubt of the Rams winning with Stafford in the first round.

Don‘t care who it is.

He gets his first win in 3 weeks or I’m a Texas brushpopper.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
then why is the defender on Higbee running away from higbee to get to Kupp?
Because he was supposed to have outside contain.. got rubbed a little by Higbee and was heading outside because there was inside help with the safety coming down.

Ellard80

Legend
Sorry, no doubt on the int of the direction of the throw. Replay angle was behind Stafford and was clear.
i saw the same angle and disagree - the ball gets hit so quickly its hard to tell.

I watched it 3 times in a row and couldnt tell for sure.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It's out of line.

It's comparing two very different things in effort to pursue an agenda, that agenda being to prove that I lack credibility or am intransigent when it comes to the Morris issue.

I didn't accuse you of saying "Fire Morris", I was merely giving you context for that discussion. People were saying fire him and I was pointing out how ridiculous that is.
We're talking about Stafford and whether he's worth 2 seconds in one thread and about his career arch on this one.

I think *you're* missing the point when it comes to some specific plays and situations in the Morris discussion.. because I am responding to *specific* plays that people are calling "mistakes" and pointing out that their recommended approach ended in the same result.

Stafford's been incredible at times.. and I'm THRILLED to praise him for it! And when plays don't work.. drives stall.. etc... I don't jump on him for that. Those, to me, can easily be attributed to the things you've mentioned.

But turnovers, especially deep in your own territory, are game changers and can't happen. Sure, they can happen to all QBs, but they've happened to Stafford, the QB on a team with one of the best olines in the NFL, at a startlingly high rate for a team that expects to contend.

Fun fact.. Matthew Stafford is #6 on the list with most career pick 6s.
That's 7 more than #2 active Matt Ryan.
8 more than Brady.
23 more than Aaron Rogers.

So, it's actually just part of his QB dna, to this point in his career.... and he needs to prevent it from popping up in the playoffs.
Still not out of line. They both are dealing with the same shit and making some mistakes. Both have been at their jobs for years and you would hope they wouldn't be making those mistakes. But both have a past that has shown they have a pattern and both are giving us reason to worry they will let us down when we need them the most. On the good side, Morris is improving and while Stafford did make some glaring mistakes, he came thru like we hope he would on the last 2 drives when the D let us down. So over all we are on a good path. And I don't have an agenda, never have. I have an opinion and don't confuse the two.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Very little BOTD for Stafford.

“He’s never won a playoff game”

Give us about 3 weeks…I have no doubt of the Rams winning with Stafford in the first round.

Don‘t care who it is.

He gets his first win in 3 weeks or I’m a Texas brushpopper.

I understand the Rams are all in and we know we all want to chip but if Stafford wins one playoff game then the narrative will be the same just slightly altered. They will say well he won one but we told you so then their main focus will go to knocking the Rams and super teams don't work in football the Rams gambled lost and mortgaged future lol even though we saw a super team win last win last year lol.
Here's to hoping we steamroll our way to the Superbowl and win!!!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
i saw the same angle and disagree - the ball gets hit so quickly its hard to tell.

I watched it 3 times in a row and couldnt tell for sure.
Not sure what you're watching then.

One thing I was wrong on.. Stafford actually gives a quick look to Kupp, then comes back.

There's zero doubt about the angle of the pass.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Still not out of line. They both are dealing with the same shit and making some mistakes. Both have been at their jobs for years and you would hope they wouldn't be making those mistakes. But both have a past that has shown they have a pattern and both are giving us reason to worry they will let us down when we need them the most. On the good side, Morris is improving and while Stafford did make some glaring mistakes, he came thru like we hope he would on the last 2 drives when the D let us down. So over all we are on a good path. And I don't have an agenda, never have. I have an opinion and don't confuse the two.

Sorry. Feel free to hold to that... but coaching and playing are worlds apart.

Again.. I'm not banging on any inefficiencies... I'm focused on really catastrophic turnovers.. and, no.. QBs don't do them at the same rate or even close to it.

Again... Stafford is the active leader in pick 6s thrown.

And.. "when the defense let us down"???

If the D hadn't of done their job and the Special teams hadn't of scored... the game was a loss.

Yeah, by the way, Stafford did do a good job in the 4th!

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I'm pointing out that suggesting that moving on from Blythe was a difference-maker is misguided, at best.

Stafford opens things up in a way that Goff just cannot. Goff did and can do some good things.. but he's not on the same tier as Stafford when it comes to ability.

The potential problem I see... is that Stafford's ability to make bad decisions can rival Goff at times. It's weird.
Oh I agree that Stafford is a difference maker.

I was only pointing out that Goff was not as bad as some people were making him out to be

Tano

Legend
Occasionally yes, not nearly as much as Goff and almost never in the first 8 games.
The OL was rock solid in the first 8 games except the Cardinals

However, you are right that Stafford does not roll out nearly as much as Goff.

But I will still say that was partially because we had a weak link in our OL

I also think Goff was pretty damn good on those roll outs too until the other team started keeping a DE home to stop the roll outs.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got about 3 pages into this thread, and stopped reading. People who were against the trade seem to be focusing on the negatives, and people who were for the trade seem to be focusing on the positives (but I could be wrong). Seems like people see what they want to see.

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
So Matthew Stafford is really good and is having an excellent season, but sometimes has bad plays or subpar games, and this inconsistency means we’re not guaranteed to win it all?

Sometimes “duh” just isn’t a strong enough word.
Exactly! There some things about Stafford’s game that worries me, his short game inaccuracies for example, but the upside of pulling off those medium to long throws and completing more than his share of third and longs, far outweighs that.