Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
His numbers indicate he handles pressure more often than not. So anyone can pick apart any qb. Maholmes was playing like dog shit turnover after turnover but he was hardly as attacked as Stafford Patrick was bubble wrapped but Stafford can't win he is a loser....Maholmes need to cut out the overs as does Stafford take that away and who is having the better season than Patrick orany others for that matter.

Scary is Stafford can even play better let's hope he does so we can mow everyone down!!!! Amazing some qbs untouchable and others can be picked on. It's like the uncool kid that used to get picked on on school Stafford is uncool lol. I know no playoff wins no Superbowl etc. Can you dip shit media dopes let the dude get to the playoffs then rub your hands and hope for his failure so you can have your narrative. Such a joke

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
You realize he is microscopically off, almost identical to Warner's 1999 season? Ill take that any day.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It seems you don't hold everybody to the same standard. Morris for instance. He has been doing his job for ever but it is a new D and new players give him time to adjust and learn. Maybe the same goes for Stafford. You have every right to worry about his mistakes and pointing them out is valid. No argument. Same goes for Morris though. Right?

Coaches and players are in much, much different jobs.

You probably missed the part where I said that I'm sure Morris would tell you, like any other D coordinator, that he's made bad calls this year. I'm sure he has.
McVay has made plenty of bad play calls this year.

I've pointed out when people's specific play criticisms and suggestions have major flaws. Specifically, the end of the AZ game.. and I also broke down the Vikings late TD drive to blow up some narratives.

The big difference here is that I'm not saying "Fire Stafford", or anything close. You may forget the Morris discussion thread was started as "Fire Morris."

So, I think you're out of line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are you implying Goff did? That was one of the best things I liked about Goff is that he never let one of his mistakes get to him.
Goff lost it. In the last few years mistakes seemed to crush him. Maybe it was the failure to live up to McVays expectations. But he seemed to hang onto his mistakes for a few drives. He’d eventually get his head on straight but it was often too late.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Go watch the tipped int against the Vikes.. at 7:56.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glOpivixRO4

The decision was flat-out awful.. and he was locked in, making it a little easier for the dlineman to time and jump. Without the tip from him.. there was another LB in the passing lane.. a DB near Hig.. and a safety coming down hard. It was a bad decision.

I'm certainly not asking for another QB.. I just want this one to not make those throws.

It cracks me up that people think Stafford shouldn't have pretty damn good command of this offense 15 weeks into the season.

I don't think he was locked in. I think that's just the way the play was design. It was a very quick release. The second the ball was snapped snap, his head went left, and then immediately to the right to CK. Of course I don't know the true playcall and primary reads and whatnot, but this is what I see when replaying that.

1640811442805.png

The decision wasn't bad either. CK is open and looks to be prime for some of those sweet sweet YAC yards.

1640811480013.png

The 2 Vikings defenders happened to be in the right place, right time and made a play. This TO wasn't caused b/c of a MS decision. It was the D making a play. Simple really.

1640811645685.png

Honestly there's a chance if that ball isn't tipped and goes to CK, that play could've been one of the longer ones.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Which Ints.. because I've gone back to look at them.
The Ints deep in Rams territory have been on Stafford. Yup.. he was getting sacked against Tennessee.. if you think that's a good reason to completely throw a ball up for grabs, then that's your perspective and one I'd greatly disagree with. Other than that? He's a vet.. the Minny int was a joke, come on. The Byard pick 6? Great play by Byard.. AND a bad read and throw by Stafford.. The Butler Int against the Pack? Bad decision, pressure or not.

He's a veteran and an expensive one at that. These are not the mistakes you can make in playoff games.
Did Stafford throw those Int’s in the playoffs?

I already said that some are on him. Maybe I should include incompletions or possible Int’s. There have been mistakes on both ends.

I’ve never said Stafford is flawless. I really don’t know why this is continuing. Is your intent to disprove that Woods isnt missed and that OBJ and VJ don’t make mistakes?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think he was locked in. I think that's just the way the play was design. It was a very quick release. The second the ball was snapped snap, his head went left, and then immediately to the right to CK. Of course I don't know the true playcall and primary reads and whatnot, but this is what I see when replaying that.

View attachment 50718

The decision wasn't bad either. CK is open and looks to be prime for some of those sweet sweet YAC yards.

View attachment 50720

The 2 Vikings defenders happened to be in the right place, right time and made a play. This TO wasn't caused b/c of a MS decision. It was the D making a play. Simple really.

View attachment 50721

Honestly there's a chance if that ball isn't tipped and goes to CK, that play could've been one of the longer ones.
The pass was to Higbee.

It was a bad decision.

I just went back and looked at the full-game copy... he never even looked at Kupp. Awful decision and pass.

jacktheripper85

Starter
All I have to say regarding this conversation is that in Goff’s last 2 years with us I basically gave up on the drive if it was 3rd down and more than 7 yards to go-would just be hoping Goff didn’t throw a pick or get sacked and fumble.

I don’t feel like that with Stafford at all and I don’t know about you but it’s been much more enjoyable watching this team knowing we can convert a 3rd and long at anytime versus what we’ve been through the past 2 years.

Tano

Legend
Goff lost it. In the last few years mistakes seemed to crush him. Maybe it was the failure to live up to McVays expectations. But he seemed to hang onto his mistakes for a few drives. He’d eventually get his head on straight but it was often too late.
I disagree because IIRC I usually saw a good drive right after he made a mistake.

But I would have to go back and verify that. I don't have the time to do that though.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Did Stafford throw those Int’s in the playoffs?

I already said that some are on him. Maybe I should include incompletions or possible Int’s. There have been mistakes on both ends.

I’ve never said Stafford is flawless. I really don’t know why this is continuing.
And I don't know why people are making my comments into something they're not.

I'm not saying he's critically flawed and can't win. The problem is that we've seen these happen often enough that it's a concern that he has one of these games in the playoffs. It's the inconsistency.

Tano

Legend
All I have to say regarding this conversation is that in Goff’s last 2 years with us I basically gave up on the drive if it was 3rd down and more than 7 yards to go-would just be hoping Goff didn’t throw a pick or get sacked and fumble.

I don’t feel like that with Stafford at all and I don’t know about you but it’s been much more enjoyable watching this team knowing we can convert a 3rd and long at anytime versus what we’ve been through the past 2 years.
Yeah and I have stated that Blythe was absolutely horrible on 3rd down and longer than 7 yards when he was center

He was okay on other downs and distances but those 3rd and long and he was the Matador

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan

this is an interesting discussion where every point brought up on this site gets a run. i think mark sanchez is a better talking head than he was a qb.

I think I like Mark Sanchez as much as anybody for NFL Commentary.
He's real, he's easy to like, he says things you don't hear much.
BC

Angry Ram

The pass was to Higbee.

It was a bad decision.

I just went back and looked at the full-game copy... he never even looked at Kupp. Awful decision and pass.

OK yeah I saw the game log, you're right. But I'm not gonna hold the actual pick against him tho from a tip drill. Happens.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And I don't know why people are making my comments into something they're not.

I'm not saying he's critically flawed and can't win. The problem is that we've seen these happen often enough that it's a concern that he has one of these games in the playoffs. It's the inconsistency.
Yes, in a few games. Many here acknowledge the concern in those few instances.

There are also other contributing reasons. But not throwing the ball away instead of forcing a play has been a problem. Many people here have already said that.

I just pointed out that it seems to be worse the further they are backed up.

Maybe an easy fix is a change in play call close to the Rams end? If Stafford can’t overcome it then McVay can help him to.

Angry Ram

Yup picks are part the game, but when you start expecting them the problem becomes obvious.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Does that mean I don't like Stafford? No. Do I want Goff back? No. Do I think it was a bad trade? No. Do I think the Rams can win a Super Bowl with Stafford? Yes. Do I think he can play multiple clean games in high pressure situations to get to a Super Bowl? Remains to be seen.

Well put.
Some tv sports show talking-head called Stafford a "made man" in regards to the way no one (in sports media) is allowed to really criticize him. I don't know if that's fair but it's certainly not far from the truth with lots of fans.
After Minnesota, open questioning of Staffords decision making is not the blasphemy it was earlier... but there is still a lot of push back.

Stafford is a damn good QB and the only thing that might stop him from being everything we've hoped for are the unnecessary and avoidable mistakes he makes at times. That's why we discuss them.
What's awesome about #9, beyond the arm talent, is he never falls apart after his mistakes. His composure is legit. You can feel his teammates respond to it... his toughness and confidence is infectious, even after ugly throws.

I think the lack of practice hurt. I think the new pieces play a part, shaking off the Lions tendencies and learning McVays way are still works in motion - but mostly, his interception issues are part of his DNA as a QB. I am concerned about him making mistakes like that in the playoffs - but I still have confidence in him to make up for those plays with great play when it matters.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Yeah and I have stated that Blythe was absolutely horrible on 3rd down and longer than 7 yards when he was center

He was okay on other downs and distances but those 3rd and long and he was the Matador
Dude you need to give the Blythe argument a rest. There are over 25 teams in the NFL that would gladly take on Blythe if they could also have the RBs, WRs, TEs and other lineman we had. Center is so low on the totem pole vs other positions that it’s historically one of the lowest positions drafted.

Also factor in the coaching of McVay along with our great defense and where we started drives and Goff had it better than 95% of the QBs in the league.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So Matthew Stafford is really good and is having an excellent season, but sometimes has bad plays or subpar games, and this inconsistency means we’re not guaranteed to win it all?

Sometimes “duh” just isn’t a strong enough word.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

yep. mcvay wanted more from him and he wasn't there yet.

i heard "off schedule" from mcvay so many times last season. he obviously wanted goff to create something once plays broke down, which happened often on 2nd or 3rd and long. goff couldn't do it.

it was a vicious circle. the more goff couldn't produce off schedule, the more mcvay wanted it. the more mcvay wanted it, the more goff began pressing and making some horrible decisions so he could make an off schedule play. just a horrible dynamic all round.