Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
umb it down or reduce the riskier throws early. Be more fundamental and your D is playing well that you don't have to force things.
McVay said he made the trade for someone that could run his whole offense.

He’s not dumbing it down.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh got it assuming that everybody who is critical of Matt Stafford's mistakes are just salty because he's a Rams player now is designed to illicit intelligent conversation? When you want to stop with these kind of comments I'd be more than happy to have a serious conversation.

There are some, not all, posters that are ready to pounce on any mistake MS makes, and its not surprising that the same ones were against the trade. So yeah its an obvious elephant in the room I see.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

He's not dumbing it down, but he's definitely changed it over the last 5 weeks to feature more play action and QB movement and a lot less empty sets.

Tano

Legend

Maybe not abandon the run even when down by 10 points.

I noticed the Baltimore game was the first game we were down by 10 points or more where McVay did not completely abandon the run.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Uhhh...no.

Our run game was better last year. Akers, at this juncture, was starting to tear it up. I like Sony, but he's not Cam. We had a top 10 run game all year.

Also, the OL is very similar to what it was last year. Very good most games, at times got dominated (Titans this year comes to mind).

PFF has them similarly rated. Time to throw is comparable. Stafford is better at navigating the pocket and buying time though.
You are correct, I was getting Brian Allen's placing in 2019 mixed up with the 2020 offensive line placing.

I also agree that Michel is no Cam, but cam was only available in a few games last season due to injury and is out completely this season for the same reason. You can have all the talent in the world, but it's not helpful if you're always injured.

Last year we went out hoping we grabbed someone to plug into our starting oline for center bc most didn't like Blythe and Allen was a disaster in 2019. I dont think anyone is complaining about any position on oline this season, which to me a lot of progress in that department compared to the last couple seasons.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Yeah the pick-6 was bad but the DB took a gamble it it paid out. Good play. Perhaps the play called or routes ran was poor, too many receivers in a small area. The db left his guy and came over. It was a quick pass. Now the deep ball into triple coverage was poor decision. On almost every deep pass Stafford threw this season there was/were open receivers underneath and he needs to work on that. BTW OBJ had two of them beat.
Perhaps practice sending someone deep but number 1,2, or 3 targets are underneath. Do this once or twice in a game and maybe you'll never have two/three in deep coverage again.
Just my thoughts as a fan.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
There are some, not all, posters that are ready to pounce on any mistake MS makes, and its not surprising that the same ones were against the trade. So yeah its an obvious elephant in the room I see.
I liked the trade, and still do. There is always hope the Rams can come back or have long drive with him at QB (as seen on last drive). That said, it's frustrating to me that he reminds me of Goff when they are both at their worst.
I thought that he would understand that he did not have to carry the team. 2 games in a row, he has been bailed out by D and ST.
To win SB, Stafford has to avoid the plays/decisions that he has made the last 2 games

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Stafford is 2nd in the NFL in interceptions since November.

NFL network talking about it now asked the analyst if its a concern. The answer was yes due to the fact that Stafford hasn't been in these big games that much throughout his career. Mentioned Mcvay needs to run the ball more and guide Stafford through this with a balanced approach.

Couldn't agree more.

We are no where near the 33 PPG Juggernaut we were in 2017 and 2018. We would score early and often and then Mcvay would often run the clock out for a quarter and a half, being the nice guy that didn't want to run up the score.

This 2021 offense ends 16 games as a 27 ppg team. Struggling to muster points vs a team Burrow just lit up.

Our best path in the playoffs is to run the ball, limit Staffords turnovers and rely heavily on the defense which needs to include a scheme change to our soft zone concepts. Do this and we have a legit chance.

The Ravens were COVID decimated when they played the Bengals.

You cannot compare these games.

Also, no style points for wins... gutting out wins when things go sideways is the mark of a champion.

Ellard80

Legend
k yeah i watched the tape of the pick 6...

not sure what Stafford is supposed to do there.

It was 3rd and 2 and he has Higbee open for the 1st down - Clark is guarding obj man on man and he leaves him to jump on higbee route.

bad route design and/or just a great play by Clark.

The 2nd int i definitely can blame on Stafford - but the pick 6 he made the right read and had him open.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I wasn't against the trade, but I had concerns. Goff was like 26 years old and he got us to a SB, and with a better gameplan, we might have won. (Or without the BS holding call on Gurley's big run with the score 3-3) Stafford is 33 so unless we win it all soon, we will have to replace Stafford with no draft capital. Unless Brady wants to play for us at age 52.

I think Stafford has the skills to win a SB, but his inconsistency and turnovers make me wonder if he can get us to a Super Bowl. I know we can win 11-12 games a year with Stafford, but we basically did the same with Goff. I know the cap was a problem. I hope we win it all but this is my 2 cents.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I liked the trade, and still do. There is always hope the Rams can come back or have long drive with him at QB (as seen on last drive). That said, it's frustrating to me that he reminds me of Goff when they are both at their worst.

With the former his TO were just by dumb decision after dumb decision. Plus he fumbled. A lot. As a comparison, Aaron Rodgers has 35 lost fumbles over a 16 year career. Jared has 25 lost in 6 years, which is more maddening since he played only 7 games as a rookie and missed a few this year.

I know its worrisome and I also cringed at the pick 6, but that's football. The biggest weakness w/ MS is when he's pinned inside the 10 and that's when the TOs happen. Jared would turn it over when the team was trying to preserve a lead (Tampa) or needing a win (Seattle). I can count from my head at least 3 or 4 of the picks he's thrown were on deep shots, which ok sucks they were picked but they could also be equally incomplete or even draw a PI call. He's had a few bad decisions, like any QB but it's not the norm. That's the main thing.

Check out the difference in TOs when he's pinned and the red area:

1641311948335.png

Here's Jared last year:

1641312115400.png

It certainly looks comparable, and like i said when pinned w/in deep is the biggest issue. But here's the difference:

MS 2021:

1641312441571.png

Jared 2020:

1641312208830.png

Look at the TD/INT differential when ahead. And these don't include fumbles. MS' good outweighs the bad, by a lot. Don't see that much acknowledgement though. When was the last topic that praised him for 38 tuds and over 4500 yards? I started one and only got 20 replies. 2 threads right now w/ almost 700 replies and counting on concerns or if he was worth it.

I wasn't against the trade, but I had concerns. Goff was like 26 years old and he got us to a SB, and with a better gameplan, we might have won. (Or without the BS holding call on Gurley's big run with the score 3-3) Stafford is 33 so unless we win it all soon, we will have to replace Stafford with no draft capital. Unless Brady wants to play for us at age 52.

I think Stafford has the skills to win a SB, but his inconsistency and turnovers make me wonder if he can get us to a Super Bowl. I know we can win 11-12 games a year with Stafford, but we basically did the same with Goff. I know the cap was a problem. I hope we win it all but this is my 2 cents.

Nah, Sean McVay and his staff shut down Tommy most of the game. He actually got Brandin Cooks open TWICE. One was a late throw, the other a pick. But to be fair Jared's regression to being a liability happened after that game and deep into 2020, which is when I finally had it.

Not worried about age, not worried about cap, not worried about late round draft picks. He's def much more consistent than the former. Again though, i still think some just cant get past the trade.

Attachments

• 1641312405621.png
    1641312405621.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 39

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
k yeah i watched the tape of the pick 6...

not sure what Stafford is supposed to do there.

It was 3rd and 2 and he has Higbee open for the 1st down - Clark is guarding obj man on man and he leaves him to jump on higbee route.

bad route design and/or just a great play by Clark.

The 2nd int i definitely can blame on Stafford - but the pick 6 he made the right read and had him open.

McVay said someone (OBJ would make sense considering he's still learning the offense) ran the wrong route.

Ellard80

Legend
McVay said someone (OBJ would make sense considering he's still learning the offense) ran the wrong route
I think i saw someone post earlier that Stafford was at fault because he starred down higbee or something.

Its a 4 yard route... like 1.5-2 secs - there isnt any time to "look off" defenders on a quick pass. route is over by the time you look back and covered.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
11 Personnel podcast quoted OBJ, that he ran the wrong route

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think i saw someone post earlier that Stafford was at fault because he starred down higbee or something.

Its a 4 yard route... like 1.5-2 secs - there isnt any time to "look off" defenders on a quick pass. route is over by the time you look back and covered.
You would hope he sees the DB sitting on his throw there. But it happens on quick hitters like that at times and I'm not all that annoyed by that INT due to the big picture there. That series also was pass pass pass iirc which simply is not necessary with this offense having the ground game they have. More than anything else that was probably the defensive player making a play.

My irritation in that game was the insistence on throwing that deep ball into triple coverage. McVay mentioned that speeding up the cadence prevented a pre-snap read by 9 but the problem is in that play design I seriously doubt the long ball is the first read. What that means is it is likely Stafford made up his mind to throw it based on an assumption at the snap, because had he gone through his reads he would have seen Jefferson wide open for what would probably end up as a first down and a good chance of a TD drive.

1641413119121.png

All that aside I rewatched the game and I don't think it was all that bad a game for 9. He made one really fucking dumb call. And I wish he would have been aware of the DB on the other one but again you see QBs do that on those quick hitters, it's hard to have that awareness when it's bang-bang. The fumble was him trying to do idk what. Take the fucking sack there 9 Jesus. You're old as fuck you're not gonna suddenly become a run threat.

Going forward McVay has to get into what happened on that deep pass choice and make sure the decision process is fixed for his QB. That's the important takeaway in this game IMO.