Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
A lot of excuses being made for Stafford. This is the player he has been his whole career.

He needs a good team around him to win a championship to make up for the mistakes. Fortunately the defense has turned things around.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not sure what you're saying. Yes.. Dlinemen are taught to do that. It's also easier to do when a QB locks on to one target, which Stafford did.
We've all seen the commentary and praise when he "no looks" passes.. well, this would be him not using his eyes to move defenders.. just like the Byard int.
I’m saying the Olinemen know what they are supposed to do to counter that move be the defensive guys.

I’m not a huge fan of the no look I think it gets over played.

Some of the throws have been terrible there is no denying it. But, some of the interceptions for every QB can be attributed to things other guys do.

From the call to exceptional defensive plays, it’s not always a bonehead play.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Please elaborate Sir, maybe the jet sweep option has been toned down, but what else, that on an obituary level to us no nothing fans?

I still see the same play action, the 3 level to one side receiver sets, McVay is still chirping in the QBs ear, I’m not going to be insulting or abrasive but do tell, I’d love to exit my fantasy land
This offense has been changed dramatically to fit what Stafford can do that Goff was never able to accomplish.

The rollouts are there occasionally now where Goff needed that because he couldn’t read the whole field.

Gurley was a dominant factor that this team has not had most of this year.

The injuries this year and additional of Beckham have changed the team much more.

It’s not that hard to figure out, you can still be an asshat without being abrasive.

Tano

Legend
Dude you need to give the Blythe argument a rest. There are over 25 teams in the NFL that would gladly take on Blythe if they could also have the RBs, WRs, TEs and other lineman we had. Center is so low on the totem pole vs other positions that it’s historically one of the lowest positions drafted.

Also factor in the coaching of McVay along with our great defense and where we started drives and Goff had it better than 95% of the QBs in the league.
You really need to go back and watch the Blythe games at center and then look at the 3rd and long plays and I bet you will find the one's where Goff dropped back, the majority of the time Blythe's guy got free and was putting pressure on Goff within a sec or two.

Just need to watch the Jets and Green Bay games to see that.

It became so bad that anytime it was 3rd and long - McVay over half the time was forced to do one of three things

One - quick WR screen
Two - draw play
Three - Goff roll out to the right

You just don't know how frustrated I got watching Blythe blow play after play on 3rd and long when Goff did a drop back

All last year I kept wishing we could find a replacement for Blythe and see if it really was that Goff was as bad as people were saying or if the majority of the problem was Blythe.

We will never know now but I am going to continue defending Goff when people are blatantly calling Goff a below average QB. And there are a few people on this board who are very outspoken about how much they hate Goff.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well put.
Some tv sports show talking-head called Stafford a "made man" in regards to the way no one (in sports media) is allowed to really criticize him. I don't know if that's fair but it's certainly not far from the truth with lots of fans.
After Minnesota, open questioning of Staffords decision making is not the blasphemy it was earlier... but there is still a lot of push back.

Stafford is a damn good QB and the only thing that might stop him from being everything we've hoped for are the unnecessary and avoidable mistakes he makes at times. That's why we discuss them.
What's awesome about #9, beyond the arm talent, is he never falls apart after his mistakes. His composure is legit. You can feel his teammates respond to it... his toughness and confidence is infectious, even after ugly throws.

I think the lack of practice hurt. I think the new pieces play a part, shaking off the Lions tendencies and learning McVays way are still works in motion - but mostly, his interception issues are part of his DNA as a QB. I am concerned about him making mistakes like that in the playoffs - but I still have confidence in him to make up for those plays with great play when it matters.
Really... a FANTASTIC post.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’m saying the Olinemen know what they are supposed to do to counter that move be the defensive guys.

I’m not a huge fan of the no look I think it gets over played.

Some of the throws have been terrible there is no denying it. But, some of the interceptions for every QB can be attributed to things other guys do.

From the call to exceptional defensive plays, it’s not always a bonehead play.
But that one was boneheaded.
From behind the play.. even if it did not get deflected by Dlineman.. there were other hands in the way and a safety running down for a possible int.

It was flat-out bad.

Tano

Legend
The rollouts are there occasionally now where Goff needed that because he couldn’t read the whole field.
McVay would also have Goff roll out in the games where the entire OL was having a bad day.

There have been games this year where McVay had Stafford roll out in games where the OL was having a bad day.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay would also have Goff roll out in the games where the entire OL was having a bad day.

There have been games this year where McVay had Stafford roll out in games where the OL was having a bad day.
Or you can have rollouts early to prevent the oline from having a bad day.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You really need to go back and watch the Blythe games at center and then look at the 3rd and long plays and I bet you will find the one's where Goff dropped back, the majority of the time Blythe's guy got free and was putting pressure on Goff within a sec or two.

Just need to watch the Jets and Green Bay games to see that.

It became so bad that anytime it was 3rd and long - McVay over half the time was forced to do one of three things

One - quick WR screen
Two - draw play
Three - Goff roll out to the right

You just don't know how frustrated I got watching Blythe blow play after play on 3rd and long when Goff did a drop back

All last year I kept wishing we could find a replacement for Blythe and see if it really was that Goff was as bad as people were saying or if the majority of the problem was Blythe.

We will never know now but I am going to continue defending Goff when people are blatantly calling Goff a below average QB. And there are a few people on this board who are very outspoken about how much they hate Goff.

Nah.
It's nowhere near that dramatic when it comes to Blythe.

Pinning Goff's struggles on that is kinda silly when we saw him make so many mistakes that had nothing to do with pressure.. or very little.
Pressure also came from other spots.. and sometimes NFL QBs have to deal with it.. move up in the pocket.. throw it away.. etc.. what you don't do is this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1H2WUZupo

Tano

Legend
Nah.
It's nowhere near that dramatic when it comes to Blythe.

Pinning Goff's struggles on that is kinda silly when we saw him make so many mistakes that had nothing to do with pressure.. or very little.
Pressure also came from other spots.. and sometimes NFL QBs have to deal with it.. move up in the pocket.. throw it away.. etc.. what you don't do is this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1H2WUZupo

That was definitely a stupid decision by Goff but he was getting pressured when he had to get rid of it.

And Stafford has done the exact same thing this year.

QBs have a tendency to do stupid things when they get pressured.

But as I have stated many times in other threads, the one thing I did not like about Goff was his tendency to make stupid decisions when getting pressured. It was also stated before he got traded that I was hoping that Goff would learn from his mistakes and not make as many stupid decisions since the 6th year is usually when a QB either learns from his mistakes and stops doing them or still makes them and will never learn from them.

With the Lions as shitty as they are, I can't even judge Goff on the lions.

Tano

Legend
That was definitely a stupid decision by Goff but he was getting pressured when he had to get rid of it.

But as I have stated many times in other threads, the one thing I did not like about Goff was his tendency to make stupid decisions when getting pressured. It was also stated before he got traded that I was hoping that Goff would learn from his mistakes and not make as many stupid decisions since the 6th year is usually when a QB either learns from his mistakes and stops doing them or still makes them and will never learn from them.

Plus I was only responding to the statement that people had given up on Goff on 3rd and long and I was saying I had given up on Blythe blocking long enough to give Goff time on 3rd and long.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Well put.
Some tv sports show talking-head called Stafford a "made man" in regards to the way no one (in sports media) is allowed to really criticize him. I don't know if that's fair but it's certainly not far from the truth with lots of fans.
After Minnesota, open questioning of Staffords decision making is not the blasphemy it was earlier... but there is still a lot of push back.

Stafford is a damn good QB and the only thing that might stop him from being everything we've hoped for are the unnecessary and avoidable mistakes he makes at times. That's why we discuss them.
What's awesome about #9, beyond the arm talent, is he never falls apart after his mistakes. His composure is legit. You can feel his teammates respond to it... his toughness and confidence is infectious, even after ugly throws.

I think the lack of practice hurt. I think the new pieces play a part, shaking off the Lions tendencies and learning McVays way are still works in motion - but mostly, his interception issues are part of his DNA as a QB. I am concerned about him making mistakes like that in the playoffs - but I still have confidence in him to make up for those plays with great play when it matters.

I'm/we are always concerned because we are fans.

Having said that hat didn't Brady throw like 5 picks against the saints and Packers combined in two straight playoff games? Or are my numbers off I know he threw 3 I'm one game but it happens good teams overcome and thats what the Rams did and need to do should it happen if they want to win. In no way do I think it should be on the regular that Stafford plays hero ball or bonehead ball bit in the event it happens sometimes other great ones got to pick him up. Team game so fingers crossed he gets it all out during reg season.

Mark Sanchez has interesting take on Stafford he absolutely loves him but he was shocked but also thinks that Stafford is not a loser he just after so many years has engrained into him if I'm not superhuman we will lose.
To me It's up to qb coach and mcvay to reprogram him and get that poison mentality out his do what you do but it's not all on you bro!!! This ain't Detroit!!!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed except the last point. The Stafford Rams are not scoring more points than the 2017 or 2018 Goff lead Rams. That team lead the league over 35+ games averaging 33 pts per game. This Stafford averages 27.7 pts per game. It is no where near the juggernaut the 2017-2018 team was.

The major difference is the 2017-2018 teams had Sullivan and Saffold who were superior run blockers so Mcvay opted for goaline TD’s way more often. Not to mention Gurley’s ability. This current Oline is a better pass blocking line thus the goaline throws. The end result of the 2021 team is less offense by nearly a TD a game. These stats don’t even touch on Kip’s injuries in 2018 or analyzing the depleted secondaries faced this year which is a conversation in itself.

If you want to compare 2021 to 2019-2020 then yes, more points are scored now, but those are the depleted Online years which is a whole big argument in themselves.

Having said that, if Stafford can play more Jekyll and less Hyde in the playoffs and show what he did vs the Cardinals 2nd game then we will be going deep.

Well for most of this season Stafford had Kupp, Woods, Jefferson, Henderson, Higbee, Whitworth, Edwards, Corbett, Havenstein - 9-10 of the core offensive players from last year.

He does not have the offensive player of the year, nor a superior guard in Rodger Saffold.

So why would we compare this years' team to 2017/2018?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

I'm pointing out that suggesting that moving on from Blythe was a difference-maker is misguided, at best.

Stafford opens things up in a way that Goff just cannot. Goff did and can do some good things.. but he's not on the same tier as Stafford when it comes to ability.

The potential problem I see... is that Stafford's ability to make bad decisions can rival Goff at times. It's weird.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
A lot of excuses being made for Stafford. This is the player he has been his whole career.

He needs a good team around him to win a championship to make up for the mistakes. Fortunately the defense has turned things around.
Just out of curiosity, which QB has won a Superbowl that has not had a good team? I can't think of one...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just out of curiosity, which QB has won a Superbowl that has not had a good team? I can't think of one...
True, and what QB can win with garbage around him, yet we hold the 2016 Fisher led Rams and the 2021 gutted Lions team against Goff.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don

Yeah nobody should be making excuses for the mistakes, they happen and he has made them. He has us in 1st and is top 5 in most any metric that matters. Let the dude be human and if the rest do their job we are fine. QB isn't holding us back, passing game is solid

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

Exactly right excellent post. It's actually been the other way around good team and meh to avg qb, some examples include a noodle armed Peyton Manning, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, and Brad Johnson just to name a few.