Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would like to see Stafford reduce maybe a quarter to a third of those bad/hero type decisions. Turn those into incompletions and we punt the ball and play field position. That's all we need in the playoffs. If that happens Rams will be an enormously tough out for anyone they play.
It shouldn’t be a huge hurdle for a veteran QB. Maybe he’s gotten too comfortable with his good pass blocking line, good receivers and a good plan. Or maybe he’s so accustomed to playing from behind that he can’t get it out of his system?

At least he doesn’t crumble after mistakes.

Tano

Legend
It shouldn’t be a huge hurdle for a veteran QB. Maybe he’s gotten too comfortable with his good pass blocking line, good receivers and a good plan. Or maybe he’s so accustomed to playing from behind that he can’t get it out of his system?

At least he doesn’t crumble after mistakes.

Are you implying Goff did? That was one of the best things I liked about Goff is that he never let one of his mistakes get to him.

Ellard80

Legend
Are you implying Goff did? That was one of the best things I liked about Goff is that he never let one of his mistakes get to him.
hmm maybe.. seemed like earlier in his career i might have agreed with that more.

but last year he had 0 4th Quarter comebacks and 1 game winning drive.

This year Stafford has 2 4th Quarter comebacks and 3 game winning drives with 2 games left. (he has had seasons with 8)

Now that stat is not a end all be all - but i feel like Stafford has more of that clutch attribute then Goff.

However Stafford certainly does play risky at times without a doubt.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Agreed except the last point. The Stafford Rams are not scoring more points than the 2017 or 2018 Goff lead Rams. That team lead the league over 35+ games averaging 33 pts per game. This Stafford averages 27.7 pts per game. It is no where near the juggernaut the 2017-2018 team was.

The major difference is the 2017-2018 teams had Sullivan and Saffold who were superior run blockers so Mcvay opted for goaline TD’s way more often. Not to mention Gurley’s ability. This current Oline is a better pass blocking line thus the goaline throws. The end result of the 2021 team is less offense by nearly a TD a game. These stats don’t even touch on Kip’s injuries in 2018 or analyzing the depleted secondaries faced this year which is a conversation in itself.

If you want to compare 2021 to 2019-2020 then yes, more points are scored now, but those are the depleted Online years which is a whole big argument in themselves.

Having said that, if Stafford can play more Jekyll and less Hyde in the playoffs and show what he did vs the Cardinals 2nd game then we will be going deep.
Since 2018 the league has the scheme down. They know the tendencies now. Mcvay still digresses to those at times. Hence the lower points total. Oh also no Gurley since 2018. That is still the biggest reason for the points drop off.

Ellard80

Legend
Since 2018 the league has the scheme down. They know the tendencies now. Mcvay still digresses to those at times. Hence the lower points total. Oh also no Gurley since 2018. That is still the biggest reason for the points drop off.
yeah our scoring is slightly down from those years but in the Vikings game i heard the announcer mention that our offense leads the nfl in percentage of drives that result in offensive points.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just wanted to say that in 2020 , Goff converted 20 TD's and threw 13 Ints. In 2021, after 15 games, Stafford has achieved 36 TD's and threw 13 INT's.

Stafford will throw for twice as any TD's this year as Goff did last year. Let that sink in...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Int’s backed up to the end zone are different than the rest of them because of the pressure. I’m not taking blame away from Stafford. Some of those throws were really bad. No Ram could have caught them. But as he’s still new to this offense himself, it is very important that everyone is where they are supposed to be. Some of his Int’s clearly look to be miscommunication, or a receiver running the route wrong.

I still think losing Woods was a much bigger loss than many. Woods has been in this offense since McVay arrived. There is no way OBJ nor Jefferson can duplicate that level of expertise in a month.

It’s no coincidence that Stafford and Kupp shot out of the gate after the extensive summer practices and film study they did together.
Which Ints.. because I've gone back to look at them.
The Ints deep in Rams territory have been on Stafford. Yup.. he was getting sacked against Tennessee.. if you think that's a good reason to completely throw a ball up for grabs, then that's your perspective and one I'd greatly disagree with. Other than that? He's a vet.. the Minny int was a joke, come on. The Byard pick 6? Great play by Byard.. AND a bad read and throw by Stafford.. The Butler Int against the Pack? Bad decision, pressure or not.

He's a veteran and an expensive one at that. These are not the mistakes you can make in playoff games.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Just wanted to say that in 2020 , Goff converted 20 TD's and threw 13 Ints. In 2021, after 15 games, Stafford has achieved 36 TD's and threw 13 INT's.

Stafford will throw for twice as any TD's this year as Goff did last year. Let that sink in...
And we've enjoyed it!!

I just think that several of those Ints and a fumble or two came in situations that will absolutely cost the Rams in the playoffs.

That's my biggest concern.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I believe that's the most since Kurt Warner in 1999.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

So just wondering, is it possible that other things have changed regarding our O last year?

Personally I ve always thought there was way more than the perceived obvious which led to JGs unceremonious departure

Im on board with MS don’t get me wrong, but he’s going to have to tighten a few things up once we start playing the big boys

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Cracks me up that some think Stafford should be completely in control of the most difficult offense he’s ever been in after the 12 year shots how in Detroit.

I do not think tipped passes at the line of scrimmage should be counted against the QB, that is on the Oline. And, sometimes you have to give the other guys credit.

Poor play calling is on McVay, I’m sure he would have a fit if Stafford ignored him and called his own plays. Great QBs should be able to do that but, not the first year in the offense.

There is nothing I have read or heard that indicates anyone on the team would rather have Goff back. Fuck him and the other 30 starting QBs who are not Rams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Cracks me up that some think Stafford should be completely in control of the most difficult offense he’s ever been in after the 12 year shots how in Detroit.

I do not think tipped passes at the line of scrimmage should be counted against the QB, that is on the Oline. And, sometimes you have to give the other guys credit.

Poor play calling is on McVay, I’m sure he would have a fit if Stafford ignored him and called his own plays. Great QBs should be able to do that but, not the first year in the offense.

There is nothing I have read or heard that indicates anyone on the team would rather have Goff back. Fuck him and the other 30 starting QBs who are not Rams.
Go watch the tipped int against the Vikes.. at 7:56.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glOpivixRO4

The decision was flat-out awful.. and he was locked in, making it a little easier for the dlineman to time and jump. Without the tip from him.. there was another LB in the passing lane.. a DB near Hig.. and a safety coming down hard. It was a bad decision.

I'm certainly not asking for another QB.. I just want this one to not make those throws.

It cracks me up that people think Stafford shouldn't have pretty damn good command of this offense 15 weeks into the season.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Lol, you mean the same offense a maligned bust of a 2nd year QB grasped and rode the Rams to the NFC West title in 2017

Go it

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Go watch the tipped int against the Vikes.. at 7:56.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glOpivixRO4

The decision was flat-out awful.. and he was locked in, making it a little easier for the dlineman to time and jump. Without the tip from him.. there was another LB in the passing lane.. a DB near Hig.. and a safety coming down hard. It was a bad decision.

I'm certainly not asking for another QB.. I just want this one to not make those throws.

It cracks me up that people think Stafford shouldn't have pretty damn good command of this offense 15 weeks into the season.

Doesn’t matter who the QB is linemen are taught how to deal with that and if they don’t it’s bad technique or execution.

No one said Stafford doesn’t have good command of the offense but he isn’t as good as he will be this time next year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Which Ints.. because I've gone back to look at them.
The Ints deep in Rams territory have been on Stafford. Yup.. he was getting sacked against Tennessee.. if you think that's a good reason to completely throw a ball up for grabs, then that's your perspective and one I'd greatly disagree with. Other than that? He's a vet.. the Minny int was a joke, come on. The Byard pick 6? Great play by Byard.. AND a bad read and throw by Stafford.. The Butler Int against the Pack? Bad decision, pressure or not.

He's a veteran and an expensive one at that. These are not the mistakes you can make in playoff games.
It seems you don't hold everybody to the same standard. Morris for instance. He has been doing his job for ever but it is a new D and new players give him time to adjust and learn. Maybe the same goes for Stafford. You have every right to worry about his mistakes and pointing them out is valid. No argument. Same goes for Morris though. Right?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lol, you mean the same offense a maligned bust of a 2nd year QB grasped and rode the Rams to the NFC West title in 2017

Go it
Your in fantasy land if you think this is the same as we ran that year or have had anything close to Gurley.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Doesn’t matter who the QB is linemen are taught how to deal with that and if they don’t it’s bad technique or execution.

No one said Stafford doesn’t have good command of the offense but he isn’t as good as he will be this time next year.
Not sure what you're saying. Yes.. Dlinemen are taught to do that. It's also easier to do when a QB locks on to one target, which Stafford did.
We've all seen the commentary and praise when he "no looks" passes.. well, this would be him not using his eyes to move defenders.. just like the Byard int.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Your in fantasy land if you think this is the same as we ran that year or have had anything close to Gurley.
Please elaborate Sir, maybe the jet sweep option has been toned down, but what else, that on an obituary level to us no nothing fans?

I still see the same play action, the 3 level to one side receiver sets, McVay is still chirping in the QBs ear, I’m not going to be insulting or abrasive but do tell, I’d love to exit my fantasy land

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So just wondering, is it possible that other things have changed regarding our O last year?

Personally I ve always thought there was way more than the perceived obvious which led to JGs unceremonious departure

Im on board with MS don’t get me wrong, but he’s going to have to tighten a few things up once we start playing the big boys
It is what it is. I won't get into Goff's last year besides stating the stats, but Stafford and his WR's had to get in synch to get twice the number of TD's this year. The main difference for Cooper Kupp's insane production is Matthew Stafford. I think Sean needs to run the ball more with Sony and Cam, rather than go with Stafford and 5 wide as much as he does. We have a running game and play action is wicked good when we are running the ball well.

McVay needs to calm his tits and run the ball down teams' throats when they take away the deep and intermediate throws, which goes against his ego. Some of those INTs are set up by the HC, as well as the QB.