Stafford Can't / Won't Win A Playoff Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lmao "context" only matter around here if it fits a agenda/narrative so I'm not buying that either. If jg can get to a sb then Stafford should have no problem winning one if he's so much better like ppl claim. It's that simple.. Mcsnead made this trade to win a sb and even said as much. Ppl have been making excuses for Stafford his entire career going back to college. Sorry but that shit ends with the rams. He doesn't have anymore excuses to fall back on with a sb ready roster. I want results not excuses and he's better than jg so obviously I expect better results.
My outlook remains that we made this trade to win a SB. If we don't during Stafford's tenure here, it wasn't worth it imo. Others are free to disagree and have their own expectations.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lmao "context" only matter around here if it fits a agenda/narrative so I'm not buying that either.
Your only agenda seems to be to spark more Stafford/Goff debate. You and Philly have made your side clear. You are not only pro Goff, but seemingly ANTI Stafford. Sorry... can't abide that BS.

I'll admit, I loved Goff and was stunned when he was traded.

I'm over it. I'm a huge fan of our new QB now . More than anything, I'm a Rams fan.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Not sure how to fix the table. But 4 QBs and their records when their team gives up so many points on defense. 19 points per game or less, 20 to 24 ppg, and 25+ ppg on defense. AS you can see Brady has had at least 51% of his games during his career where his defense gave up 19 ppg or less. Compare that to Staffords 31%. This really goes to show you how important a good defense is. Brady has 9 more years of games and only 6 more games when his team's defense gave up more than 25 ppg than Stafford. More than 2/3rds of the games Brady has played this team gave up less than 24 ppg on defense. I don't think another QB comes close to having that kind of defense during his career. Maybe Starr under Lombardi, and maybe Montana. I just did the math, Montana teams gave up 24 ppg or less 81% of the time, and under 19 60% of the time. And people wonder why they won. BTW, 24 ppg is the average score over the last 20 years or so. So if your team can hold the other team to less than that, you have a better than 50% of winning. The lower that number goes, the greater the chance of winning. QB matters, but not as much as you think. QB's really counted when the other teams score more than 24 against you. That's where Brady beats other QB's.

<19 PPG on defense20-24 PPG defense25+ on defense
Games% of Total gamesWLWin %Games% of Total gamesWL%Games% of Total gamesWL%
Stafford
51​
31%​
39​
12​
76%​
37​
22%​
20​
17​
54%​

47%​
16​
61​
21%​
Brady
154​
51%​
148​
6​
96%​
62​
21%​
46​
16​
74%​
28%​
36​
47​
43%​
Rodgers
77​
41%​
68​
9​
88%​
48​
25%​
36​
12​
75%​
63​
34%​
21​
42​
33%​
Cousins
30​
29%​
25​
5​
83%​
29​
28%​
21​
8​
72%​
44​
43%​
6​
38​
14%​

Last edited:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
My outlook remains that we made this trade to win a SB. If we don't during Stafford's tenure here, it wasn't worth it imo. Others are free to disagree and have their own expectations.
It really is that simple.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Your only agenda seems to be to spark more Stafford/Goff debate. You and Philly have made your side clear. You are not only pro Goff, but seemingly ANTI Stafford. Sorry... can't abide that BS.

I'll admit, I loved Goff and was stunned when he was traded.

I'm over it. I'm a huge fan of our new QB now . More than anything, I'm a Rams fan.
I'm "anti Stafford" because I expect better results out of a better qb? Lmao OK. If you " can't abide that bs" then do us both a favor and put me on ignore so you don't have to see it.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure how to fix the table. But 4 QBs and their records when their team gives up so many points on defense. 19 points per game or less, 20 to 24 ppg, and 25+ ppg on defense. AS you can see Brady has had at least 51% of his games during his career where his defense gave up 19 ppg or less. Compare that to Staffords 31%. This really goes to show you how important a good defense is. Brady has 9 more years of games and only 6 more games when his team's defense gave up more than 25 ppg than Stafford. More than 2/3rds of the games Brady has played this team gave up less than 24 ppg on defense. I don't think another QB comes close to having that kind of defense during his career. Maybe Starr under Lombardi, and maybe Montana. I just did the math, Montana teams gave up 24 ppg or less 81% of the time, and under 19 60% of the time. And people wonder why they won. BTW, 24 ppg is the average score over the last 20 years or so. So if your team can hold the other team to less than that, you have a better than 50% of winning. The lower that number goes, the greater the chance of winning. QB matters, but not as much as you think. QB's really counted when the other teams score more than 24 against you. That's where Brady beats other QB's.

<19 PPG on defense20-24 PPG defense25+ on defense
Games% of Total gamesWLWin %Games% of Total gamesWL%Games% of Total gamesWL%
Stafford
51​
31%​
39​
12​
76%​
37​
22%​
20​
17​
54%​

47%​
16​
61​
21%​
Brady
154​
51%​
148​
6​
96%​
62​
21%​
46​
16​
74%​
28%​
36​
47​
43%​
Rodgers
77​
41%​
68​
9​
88%​
48​
25%​
36​
12​
75%​
63​
34%​
21​
42​
33%​
Cousins
30​
29%​
25​
5​
83%​
29​
28%​
21​
8​
72%​
44​
43%​
6​
38​
14%​

ouch.

the one that really stands out is the middle column. double ouch.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
ouch.

the one that really stands out is the middle column. double ouch.

Yeah, but the 20-24 range is tricky. Because 20 isn't that bad, and if you have a QB that has more in 20-21 they will win more than one that has 23-24. Stafford has more in 23-24 than 20-21. Even more than Cousins. I should break it down from under 18, 19-21, 22-25 25-30 and 30+. Maybe when I have more time. BTW, 60% of Bartt Starrs games his defense gave up less than 19 PPG. Another one I was working on. Although the scoring total back then was around 22 ppg, not 24.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If we had tried some miraculous move up in the 2021 Draft, we get Mac Jones, maybe? Since the 2000 NFL Draft, these are the lower half of the draft QB's that were taken and their draft position.
2021 Mac Jones (15) Unknown
2020 Jordan Love (26) Unknown
2019 Dwayne Haskins (15) Meh
2018 Lamar Jackson (32) Steal
2017 None
2016 Paxton Lynch (26) Bust
2015 None
2014 Teddy Bridgewater (32) Ok?
2013 E.J. Manuel (16) Bust
2012 Brandon Weeden (22) Bust
2011 None
2010 Time Tebow (25) Bust
2009 Josh Freeman (17) Bust
2008 Joe Flacco (18) Ok?
2007 Brady Quinn (22) Bust
2006 None
2005 Aaron Rodgers (24) Excellent
2004 J.P. Losman (22) Bust
2003 Kyle Boller (19) Bust
2003 Rex Grossman (22) Bust
2002 Patrick Ramsey (32) Bust
2001 None
2000 Chad Pennington (18) Ok?

So according to my complex grading system since 2000, the NFL has produced two excellent QB's, three Ok QB's, one Meh QB, eleven QB Busts, two Unknown QB's, and five years where the pickings were so slim that no team chose a QB from 15-32 in the first round.

Yeah, the overwhelming chance was that we would get stuck with the next Kyle Boller instead of the next Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodger's is an oulier here because he could very well have been picked at #1 overall over Alex Smith that year and 23 team GM's sucked so hard at evaluation that they bypassed him. So screw those lower first round picks we gave up to get Matthew Stafford, he was worth everything to get him.
The plan B would have been let Goff compete in camp with Wofford and see how he reacts and for that matter to see what Wofford could do.

If Goff shrinks from the competition, like Wentz did last yr, you move on next year and use your #1 plus maybe next yrs #1 or whatever it takes to get a QB you like.

Or maybe Goff steps up and grows up a bit more and along with the added speed, you have a much better version of Goff, similar to 18', but better.

Or who knows maybe Wofford shows out and you can be a little more patient and take a shot with a later pick while Wofford takes over. So you use your #1 on another position.

The benefit is you now have a QB on a rookie contract. Last time we had that we reached the SB.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I would have traded up to the 10th pick in 2017. :quiet:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The plan B would have been let Goff compete in camp with Wofford and see how he reacts and for that matter to see what Wofford could do.

If Goff shrinks from the competition, like Wentz did last yr, you move on next year and use your #1 plus maybe next yrs #1 or whatever it takes to get a QB you like.

Or maybe Goff steps up and grows up a bit more and along with the added speed, you have a much better version of Goff, similar to 18', but better.

Or who knows maybe Wofford shows out and you can be a little more patient and take a shot with a later pick while Wofford takes over. So you use your #1 on another position.

The benefit is you now have a QB on a rookie contract. Last time we had that we reached the SB.
Last time we had a QB on a rookie contract, we had the #1 Overall pick in the NFL draft, hoping for the best, and not the 28th pick, hoping to win the lotto.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Last time we had a QB on a rookie contract, we had the #1 Overall pick in the NFL draft, hoping for the best, and not the 28th pick, hoping to win the lotto.
Yeah, but that QB sucked so bad we traded him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, but that QB sucked so bad we traded him.
Yeah, but the chances were much higher that we might get a winner with him and you have almost no chance with a QB picked where you wanted...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Stafford reads defenses better than Goff. Stafford makes decisions quicker than Goff. Stafford' never led all qb's in turnovers. Stafford's pocket awareness is better than Goff's.

Goff went to a SB with a much better HC, OL and running game than Stafford ever had. Stafford led his team to the playoffs 3 times DESPITE a mediocre team around him.

Goff has a long way to go before his QB skills come close to Staffords.

You folks debating weather the trade for Stafford was a good idea can't seem to phantom the differences between Goff and Stafford.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Stafford reads defenses better than Goff. Stafford makes decisions quicker than Goff. Stafford' never led all qb's in turnovers. Stafford's pocket awareness is better than Goff's.
Hopefully it translates to wins...it didnt in Detroit.

I said this before.... They always say without Russell Wilson, Seattle would be a 6 win team. Well, with Stafford, Detroit was often a 6 win team. I hope you guy's are right, but I have concerns.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
That logic doesn't work Philly. Stafford carried the Lions for 12 years. If Goff had been QB instead, they probably win half as many games and never get to the playoffs.

Rams may not win a SB, but I gaurantee you it won't be because of Stafford's inabliity to read defenses, slow indecisions, or leading the league in turnovers.

Tano

Legend

Goff went to a SB with a much better HC, OL and running game than Stafford ever had. Stafford led his team to the playoffs 3 times DESPITE a mediocre team around him.

You folks debating weather the trade for Stafford was a good idea can't seem to phantom the differences between Goff and Stafford.

That logic doesn't work Philly. Stafford carried the Lions for 12 years. If Goff had been QB instead, they probably win half as many games and never get to the playoffs.

Rams may not win a SB, but I gaurantee you it won't be because of Stafford's inabliity to read defenses, slow indecisions, or leading the league in turnovers.
Maybe - maybe not.

Goff has been a proven winner. Once LA got a lead at halftime, LA didn't lose. I put a lot of that on McVay but also some of it can be attributed to Goff making the plays to win games in the second half.

Stafford hasn't been a proven winner. However, I have high hopes in Stafford that he will become a winner in LA.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Each statement in your post is an opinion. Not everybody shares your opinion. Unsurprisingly, those with different opinions are going to see the trade differently. Additionally, Goff hasn't led all NFL QBs in turnovers during a single season in his career.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Carried them straight to a 74-91-1 record and 8-67 against winning teams (worst in NFL history).