Stafford Can't / Won't Win A Playoff Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Goff never played in St. Louis. His first season was the first season back in LA.

Yeah, some times you can get to the playoffs just by having a few really good players but once you get there you aren't going anywhere without a mostly complete team and good coaching.
Remember the Dickerson Rams. They could get to the playoffs, but that was mostly it. You got to have a complete team. If they other team can take away one thing you got to have something else to win with.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I still say this was a trade involving a QB that never got any credit for his team's success, who was traded for a QB that never got blame for his team's failure's.

Should be interesting.

If the Lions win 6 games this year and the Rams win 11, was this worth two #1's, for a 33 yr old QB that didn't do any better than Goff did in Detroit or LA?

Hopefully that will not be the case.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I still say this was a trade involving a QB that never got any credit for his team's success, who was traded for a QB that never got blame for his team's failure's.

Should be interesting.

If the Lions win 6 games this year and the Rams win 11, was this worth two #1's, for a 33 yr old QB that didn't do any better than Goff did in Detroit or LA?

Hopefully that will not be the case.
This pretty much sums it up for me.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Yes if Stafford plays great and Goff continues declining. It's tuff to base it on wins because what if the Offense becomes a juggernaut and our D falls apart due to injuries? Would that be the QB's fault?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Absolutely.
Well, the argument could be made if that happens, they would have been better served using those first round draft picks to move up and draft a QB in 22'

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the argument could be made if that happens, they would have been better served using those first round draft picks to move up and draft a QB in 22'
Not a great argument however, the bust rate is pretty high for low 1st rounders... Think Christian Ponder... (Aaron Rodgers doesn't count, btw...)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes if Stafford plays great and Goff continues declining. It's tuff to base it on wins because what if the Offense becomes a juggernaut and our D falls apart due to injuries? Would that be the QB's fault?
Well, I don't want excuses. In 19' our D kind of sucked, Cooks got hurt, the OL lost several starters, resulting in playing 2 rookies & multiple 2nd yr guys during the year. I don't recall excuses being handed out.

This yr all I heard was we couldn't throw long, but few admitted we lacked outside speed. Well, McVay & Snead eventually did by signing Jackson and drafting Atwell and Harris.

So no excuses. If Stafford is a top 5 QB he should be able to carry this team to at least 12 wins considering the coaching and overall roster.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Not a great argument however, the bust rate is pretty high for low 1st rounders... Think Christian Ponder... (Aaron Rodgers doesn't count, btw...)
Well, depends who is drafting doesn't it? A good QB coach/ Offensive coordinator type coach, should be able to ID a QB. See Andy Reid. Drafted McNabb (picked ahead of a perceived deep QB class), Foles (3rd round) & Mahomes.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, depends who is drafting doesn't it? A good QB coach/ Offensive coordinator type coach, should be able to ID a QB. See Andy Reid. Drafted McNabb (picked ahead of a perceived deep QB class), Foles (3rd round) & Mahomes.
It's still an absolute crap shoot. Stafford is was the much better option.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Well, I don't want excuses. In 19' our D kind of sucked, Cooks got hurt, the OL lost several starters, resulting in playing 2 rookies & multiple 2nd yr guys during the year. I don't recall excuses being handed out.

This yr all I heard was we couldn't throw long, but few admitted we lacked outside speed. Well, McVay & Snead eventually did by signing Jackson and drafting Atwell and Harris.

So no excuses. If Stafford is a top 5 QB he should be able to carry this team to at least 12 wins considering the coaching and overall roster.

You don't recall excuses for the 2019 season? ok

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we had tried some miraculous move up in the 2021 Draft, we get Mac Jones, maybe? Since the 2000 NFL Draft, these are the lower half of the draft QB's that were taken and their draft position.
2021 Mac Jones (15) Unknown
2020 Jordan Love (26) Unknown
2019 Dwayne Haskins (15) Meh
2018 Lamar Jackson (32) Steal
2017 None
2016 Paxton Lynch (26) Bust
2015 None
2014 Teddy Bridgewater (32) Ok?
2013 E.J. Manuel (16) Bust
2012 Brandon Weeden (22) Bust
2011 None
2010 Time Tebow (25) Bust
2009 Josh Freeman (17) Bust
2008 Joe Flacco (18) Ok?
2007 Brady Quinn (22) Bust
2006 None
2005 Aaron Rodgers (24) Excellent
2004 J.P. Losman (22) Bust
2003 Kyle Boller (19) Bust
2003 Rex Grossman (22) Bust
2002 Patrick Ramsey (32) Bust
2001 None
2000 Chad Pennington (18) Ok?

So according to my complex grading system since 2000, the NFL has produced two excellent QB's, three Ok QB's, one Meh QB, eleven QB Busts, two Unknown QB's, and five years where the pickings were so slim that no team chose a QB from 15-32 in the first round.

Yeah, the overwhelming chance was that we would get stuck with the next Kyle Boller instead of the next Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodger's is an oulier here because he could very well have been picked at #1 overall over Alex Smith that year and 23 team GM's sucked so hard at evaluation that they bypassed him. So screw those lower first round picks we gave up to get Matthew Stafford, he was worth everything to get him.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Exactly but we all know if he doesn't win all ppl will hear are excuses. No excuses need to be made for a top 5 qb on this roster.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
So screw those lower first round picks we gave up to get Matthew Stafford, he was worth everything to get him.
Only if we win a sb. Otherwise it was a lateral move for no reason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only if we win a sb. Otherwise it was a lateral move for no reason.
Too many variables to make that statement. If the division is tougher than during the Goff years, how do you square that? If the Packer's division is severely weakened because Aaron Rodgers goes elsewhere and the Lions beat the Packers for a couple more wins, is that because of Goff?

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Too many variables to make that statement. If the division is tougher than during the Goff years, how do you square that? If the Packer's division is severely weakened because Aaron Rodgers goes elsewhere and the Lions beat the Packers for a couple more wins, is that because of Goff?
The nfc west has been considered the best division in football for 3-4 years while jg was here. So I won't be buying that excuse. If jg wins the division next year with a inferior team then what Stafford had the year prior then yes it'll be fair to say it's because of him. Kudos to the coaching staff as well if that happens.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The nfc west has been considered the best division in football for 3-4 years while jg was here. So I won't be buying that excuse. If jg wins the division next year with a inferior team then what Stafford had the year prior then yes it'll be fair to say it's because of him. Kudos to the coaching staff as well if that happens.
Man, you know JG is not winning the division next year and that's not slamming him, because it's Aaron Rodger's division until further notice. It's also easier to improve a really bad team by a couple of wins, and it's hard to improve a really good team by a couple of wins. Having said that, Stafford will do it

btw...context does not equal excuse, just a more nuanced understanding. But if we're playing as though no other factors matter, then there are no excuses either way. Better coaching by either team shouldn't matter. Having AD and Jalen Ramsey and last year's number one defense, shouldn't matter. I don't want to hear about the Rams running game or offensive scheme as to why they blew out opponents, if it's all on the QB. I expect JG to improve on the 10 wins he earned with the Rams as a Lion. I expect Matthew Stafford to improve on the 5 wins he earned with the Lions as a Ram. I mean, if it's about hyper responsibility, no effing excuses, right?

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Man, you know JG is not winning the division next year and that's not slamming him, because it's Aaron Rodger's division until further notice. It's also easier to improve a really bad team by a couple of wins, and it's hard to improve a really good team by a couple of wins. Having said that, Stafford will do it

btw...context does not equal excuse, just a more nuanced understanding. But if we're playing as though no other factors matter, then there are no excuses either way. Better coaching by either team shouldn't matter. Having AD and Jalen Ramsey and last year's number one defense, shouldn't matter. I don't want to hear about the Rams running game or offensive scheme as to why they blew out opponents, if it's all on the QB. I expect JG to improve on the 10 wins he earned with the Rams as a Lion. I expect Matthew Stafford to improve on the 5 wins he earned with the Lions as a Ram. I mean, if it's about hyper responsibility, no effing excuses, right?
Lmao "context" only matter around here if it fits a agenda/narrative so I'm not buying that either. If jg can get to a sb then Stafford should have no problem winning one if he's so much better like ppl claim. It's that simple.. Mcsnead made this trade to win a sb and even said as much. Ppl have been making excuses for Stafford his entire career going back to college. Sorry but that shit ends with the rams. He doesn't have anymore excuses to fall back on with a sb ready roster. I want results not excuses and he's better than jg so obviously I expect better results.