Stafford Can't / Won't Win A Playoff Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Thinking Xavier Jones simply steps up and becomes the short yardage guy and platoons with Henderson...and Funk becomes the #3 back.

Then one of those little guys make it as #4 until a solid vet becomes available with a training camp cut.

Of all position's, RB is one where you can dig up a serviceable replacement.

Look at the 17' Eagles. They picked up Blount and traded for the guy from Miami, whose name escapes me. Won a SB with those two.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Stafford hasn't been a proven winner. However, I have high hopes in Stafford that he will become a winner in LA.
This is my biggest concern right here. Stafford just isn't a winner he wasn't in college and still isn't to this day. Hofer (imo goat) receiver didn't matter, top 5 defense again didn't matter dude still lost. How ppl can place blame solely on the Lions and make excuses for Stafford when some of those people blamed jg for every L we took is just confusing to me.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Carried them straight to a 74-91-1 record and 8-67 against winning teams (worst in NFL history).
Its a team sport for christ's sake. Look what happened in the last SB. the chiefs LT got injured and was out. All of a sudden Mahomes was getting sacked and looked very average. In his 1st SB, he needed his D to stop SF or he would have never brought his team back for the win. A QB's record has more to do with the team he is on than his talent. Some QBs need more talent around them and some can carry a team to a little better record, but there are to many ingredients that go into a successful team.

I have been a big Goff supporter and I believe Goff would have gotten us a SB or 2. Just a question of when. Our Rams though are about now. I think the last 2 years pointed out some weaknesses that Stafford looks like he doesn't have. Takes a little of the pressure off of the rest of the team. To make your assessment of any player in football on record alone is myopic.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Its a team sport for christ's sake. Look what happened in the last SB. the chiefs LT got injured and was out. All of a sudden Mahomes was getting sacked and looked very average. In his 1st SB, he needed his D to stop SF or he would have never brought his team back for the win. A QB's record has more to do with the team he is on than his talent. Some QBs need more talent around them and some can carry a team to a little better record, but there are to many ingredients that go into a successful team.

I have been a big Goff supporter and I believe Goff would have gotten us a SB or 2. Just a question of when. Our Rams though are about now. I think the last 2 years pointed out some weaknesses that Stafford looks like he doesn't have. Takes a little of the pressure off of the rest of the team. To make your assessment of any player in football on record alone is myopic.
So quarterbacks bears no responsibility for the team record? So I guess we shouldn't hear "we won x game because of Stafford" right? It's really funny how "team game" gets thrown around to fit whatever narrative that fits atm. Not saying you do that btw I'm just saying. But we'll agree to disagree on that one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thinking Xavier Jones simply steps up and becomes the short yardage guy and platoons with Henderson...and Funk becomes the #3 back.

Then one of those little guys make it as #4 until a solid vet becomes available with a training camp cut.

Of all position's, RB is one where you can dig up a serviceable replacement.

Look at the 17' Eagles. They picked up Blount and traded for the guy from Miami, whose name escapes me. Won a SB with those two.
I agree Jones will be the guy who emerges from this group. Barring of course them trading for someone who will start.

The role they need filled now is the chain mover, the guy who can eat snaps and provide consistent production. Hendy cannot do that. We've tried him in that role. He can provide it when the holes are there but he's better as a change of pace type and he also has a history of being dinged up. Funk has the right skills (good vision and runs behind pads very nicely with good burst) but has injury history in his past.

I think at this point if they aren't sure about Jones they gotta bring someone in. I'd bring someone in anyway, even if I really liked Jones (which I do btw) simply due to the need for competition and depth. Not sure what CJ did to McVay but he had to have pissed him off somehow and personally I'd add him as insurance to have someone who can do the above. But we'll see how this plays out.

I'm sick right now about Akers. Just sick man.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
AD inspires by example, and always has. So he doesn't need "his chance to lead," since he's already been doing it.

I’d say that has been in the past.AD99 will always be a player that leads by example which is true.

No player really ever even has to lead.The Rams(Mcvay) has his pyramid or whatever that is ? I don’t know what is said or unsaid,but watching & observing certain things you can see.
I went to practice at SOFI(big deal?joke) & saw veterans making it a point to take extra time finding a position player to mentor.AD99 wasn’t there & SJD69 didn’t suit up.I just know that group & the togetherness M.Brocker & M. Fox helped create.
I believe AD99 made mention of continuing it & Brockers will be missed ? Won’t pull up an article.I will note though that he did go seek out Rookie Bobby Brown at there first practice.Weather that was staged or a media thing ? AD99 keeps things real & does care for team & teammates.Henderson is part of the group as well. He will push himself & other players as well.
—I’ve been to camp’s & seen when he was & wasn’t there.I get a good feeling of certain things from doing so.I know AD99 lined up against Jamon Brown & made a fool of him.He exposed how bad he was one on one,not taking away from how GREAT Arron Donald is!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Goff never played in St. Louis. His first season was the first season back in LA.

Yeah - totally blew that take. Yeah - crazy to think where The Rams would be if Fisher remained the H/C. Thanks McVay

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Ah yes, the famous and unbelievably popular 'Quarterback In A Vacuum' Argument. The one that logically concludes that Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Joe Flacco, Phil Simms, Doug Williams and Nick Foles are all better than Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton and Dan Fouts (And that they are all equally as good as Warner, Rodgers and Wilson).
I'd add Eli, who has only won 10+ games in 5/15 seasons...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah yes, the famous and unbelievably popular 'Quarterback In A Vacuum' Argument. The one that logically concludes that Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Joe Flacco, Phil Simms, Doug Williams and Nick Foles are all better than Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton and Dan Fouts (And that they are all equally as good as Warner, Rodgers and Wilson).
Quite a strawman "argument" there.
Marino- 8 playoff wins, Kelly- 9 playoff wins, Tarkenton- 6 playoff wins, Fouts- 3 playoff wins
Stafford- 0 playoff wins

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd add Eli, who has only won 10+ games in 5/15 seasons...
And 9 games in 2 seasons, 1 of which also won a Superbowl
8 games in 2 seasons
So 7 of 14 (full) seasons with winning record
9 of 14 seasons, non losing
Not pretty, but quite a different picture

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, the argument could be made if that happens, they would have been better served using those first round draft picks to move up and draft a QB in 22'

It would be a terrible argument. Matthew is already established as a stud. No guarantee a rookie would equate his talent or performance.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Your only agenda seems to be to spark more Stafford/Goff debate. You and Philly have made your side clear. You are not only pro Goff, but seemingly ANTI Stafford. Sorry... can't abide that BS.

I'll admit, I loved Goff and was stunned when he was traded.

I'm over it. I'm a huge fan of our new QB now . More than anything, I'm a Rams fan.
Well said. The last two sentences are Absolutely the exact way I feel.
I am a Rams fan first.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
So quarterbacks bears no responsibility for the team record? So I guess we shouldn't hear "we won x game because of Stafford" right? It's really funny how "team game" gets thrown around to fit whatever narrative that fits atm. Not saying you do that btw I'm just saying. But we'll agree to disagree on that one.
Did I say they bear no responsibility? Of course I didn't. You can have a different view, but don't twist my words.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Did I say they bear no responsibility? Of course I didn't. You can have a different view, but don't twist my words.
I didn't say you did I just asked a question. Imo you can't separate team record and qb record. Why? Because they get all the credit when they win and all the blame when they lose (unless your Stafford). Plus it's the single most important position in football and it's not even close. Stafford is the only qb in my lifetime (only 29) that I've seen lose consistently and gets credit for it....how is that a thing? Because he has a rocket arm? Never seen that in football ever.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is my biggest concern right here. Stafford just isn't a winner he wasn't in college and still isn't to this day. Hofer (imo goat) receiver didn't matter, top 5 defense again didn't matter dude still lost. How ppl can place blame solely on the Lions and make excuses for Stafford when some of those people blamed jg for every L we took is just confusing to me.
When it comes to wins and losses, team definitely matters. I won't say Stafford isn't a winner. But he hasn't proven it yet. Truth is that there are some guys who are good QBs but simply aren't winners. They play the position well. They put up good numbers. But they fail to make the key plays when they matter. Is Stafford that guy? I don't know. We'll find out.

What I can say is that some people sell his supporting cast way short. There were years where the Lions had great offenses around him. There were years where the Lions had good or great defenses. Yet, Stafford has only won 10+ games in a season twice in his career, with 11 being the most he has won in a season. For all the talk about defenses, our defense was merely above average (if that) in 2017 and below average in 2018. Yet, we went 24-7 in those two years with Goff.

It is also true that Stafford rarely had a running game in Detroit. But that was by design. Detroit focused its resources on the passing game. Will having a good/great rushing attack here make the difference for Stafford? It might. We'll have to wait and see. It might be that Detroit's strategy was wrong all these years. Either ways, we'll find out what Stafford is and isn't.

My issue with this trade has always been that I think you only make it for a QB who elevates your team to a SB contender, an Aaron Rodgers or Deshaun Watson type QB. I don't see Stafford as that guy. But it wouldn't be the first time that I am wrong. I hope I am. I want a Super Bowl win.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
When it comes to wins and losses, team definitely matters. I won't say Stafford isn't a winner. But he hasn't proven it yet. Truth is that there are some guys who are good QBs but simply aren't winners. They play the position well. They put up good numbers. But they fail to make the key plays when they matter. Is Stafford that guy? I don't know. We'll find out.

What I can say is that some people sell his supporting cast way short. There were years where the Lions had great offenses around him. There were years where the Lions had good or great defenses. Yet, Stafford has only won 10+ games in a season twice in his career, with 11 being the most he has won in a season. For all the talk about defenses, our defense was merely above average (if that) in 2017 and below average in 2018. Yet, we went 24-7 in those two years with Goff.

It is also true that Stafford rarely had a running game in Detroit. But that was by design. Detroit focused its resources on the passing game. Will having a good/great rushing attack here make the difference for Stafford? It might. We'll have to wait and see. It might be that Detroit's strategy was wrong all these years. Either ways, we'll find out what Stafford is and isn't.

My issue with this trade has always been that I think you only make it for a QB who elevates your team to a SB contender, an Aaron Rodgers or Deshaun Watson type QB. I don't see Stafford as that guy. But it wouldn't be the first time that I am wrong. I hope I am. I want a Super Bowl win.
I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Im not trying to be unfair to Stafford here but I'm just calling it for what it is. Stafford as of right now isn't a winner. Can he change that? I sure hope so because I also want a sb win. These last few years have spoiled me rotten. But anyway great post.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I am dumbfounded by some of your doubts about Stafford. His talent is undeniable and winning this year isn’t dependent on him alone. Balance will make him much more effective and he won’t be constantly trying to overcome massive deficits in the 4th quarter, like in Detroit. Going into the 2nd half with a lead, Sean McVay teams are deadly. He is the best QB we’ve had since Warner and you will see it.
What I am dumbfounded by is that there are some idiots on this board ( not talking about anyone in particular)
who will actually be rooting against Stafford just so they can say " I told you so"
It's a fucking shame but I honestly believe it.
Go Rams!! :beer2: :fistbump1: :helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet: