Stafford Can't / Won't Win A Playoff Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
People don't understand that there must be a unique relationship between the QB and the HC/OC to make things work. McVay inherited Goff and spent years trying to force him into his own mold of what he wanted. Instead of playing to his strengths and developing his QB that is not what McVay wanted.

Now he has Stafford who in many respects embodies that alter ego McVay wants. We will now see if McVay's offense is really as good as advertised. I'm among those that say, McVay has no more excuses. His whipping boy is gone. He's now implementing the OL changes he should have done last year but instead, he set Goff up for failure to force Snead's hand.

I like McVay but I'm not blind to his faults. All great coaches have their own issues. Belichek is on his way to the HOF but he's without a doubt a micro-managing SOB. Success blinds people to those idiosyncrasies and so be it with Sean McVay. Success blinds people and failure puts him under a microscope.

The bottom line is that the relationship between Stafford and McVay is important and can't be underestimated. That's why this offense has all the earmarks of a championship-caliber scheme with the right people at the right places to implement it. It's why I expect nothing but championship play from this team.

I expect Carberry to produce a top 10 OL giving this team a strong and consistent run attack. With a strong run game, defenses won't be able to simply play pass first like they did with Goff. Sean loves balance and now he has all the elements in place to make it happen. Morris has the talent on D to win shootouts. Media evaluators consistently underestimate this roster simply because they haven't bothered to really take the time to evaluate it.

Unfortunately, as good as Warner is in breaking down the past, this is a new team with new dimensions on both sides of the ball. They have a rebuilt OL which looks to be better than last year's, they have a new DC who will probably run a more conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme with some of Staley's elements incorporated. They will be stronger on the DL opposite Floyd and with Robinson as the starter they will be better and more consistent in the middle.

Team speed has been drastically increased on both sides but especially on offense. Looking at the past for clues, on offense makes sense if you look at 2018 for clues. This offense will be closer to that one. This defense could be the best the Rams have fielded in a long long time. Prognosticators need to look where this team could go, not where they have been the last 2 years.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
People don't understand that there must be a unique relationship between the QB and the HC/OC to make things work. McVay inherited Goff and spent years trying to force him into his own mold of what he wanted. Instead of playing to his strengths and developing his QB that is not what McVay wanted.

Now he has Stafford who in many respects embodies that alter ego McVay wants. We will now see if McVay's offense is really as good as advertised. I'm among those that say, McVay has no more excuses. His whipping boy is gone. He's now implementing the OL changes he should have done last year but instead, he set Goff up for failure to force Snead's hand.

I like McVay but I'm not blind to his faults. All great coaches have their own issues. Belichek is on his way to the HOF but he's without a doubt a micro-managing SOB. Success blinds people to those idiosyncrasies and so be it with Sean McVay. Success blinds people and failure puts him under a microscope.

The bottom line is that the relationship between Stafford and McVay is important and can't be underestimated. That's why this offense has all the earmarks of a championship-caliber scheme with the right people at the right places to implement it. It's why I expect nothing but championship play from this team.

I expect Carberry to produce a top 10 OL giving this team a strong and consistent run attack. With a strong run game, defenses won't be able to simply play pass first like they did with Goff. Sean loves balance and now he has all the elements in place to make it happen. Morris has the talent on D to win shootouts. Media evaluators consistently underestimate this roster simply because they haven't bothered to really take the time to evaluate it.

Unfortunately, as good as Warner is in breaking down the past, this is a new team with new dimensions on both sides of the ball. They have a rebuilt OL which looks to be better than last year's, they have a new DC who will probably run a more conventional 3-4 hybrid scheme with some of Staley's elements incorporated. They will be stronger on the DL opposite Floyd and with Robinson as the starter they will be better and more consistent in the middle.

Team speed has been drastically increased on both sides but especially on offense. Looking at the past for clues, on offense makes sense if you look at 2018 for clues. This offense will be closer to that one. This defense could be the best the Rams have fielded in a long long time. Prognosticators need to look where this team could go, not where they have been the last 2 years.
TL;DR. You really seem to think that McVay sabotaged his own QB in the remote hope that he could trade for someone of Staffords caliber. Strange. Also, weren't you the one that was shitting all over Staley and his terrible scheme at the beginning of last year? Also strange.

MauiRam

Rookie
In a nutshell, Goff too often folded under pressure and at other times - after he was rattled - folded when there wasn't pressure. Ball security was an issue too. Waving the ball around like a loaf of bread led to fumbles etc. At times he was on the money for sure, just not enough times for McVay.

Stafford by comparison seems to sense where the pressure is coming from and looks to take advantage of it. Stafford on the whole IMO has a far more aggressive demeanor than Jared.

All quarterbacks fumble at times & throw interceptions. I like our chances with Stafford at the helm this year. Maybe Goff will blossom with different coaching - who's to say? It should be an interesting game when we play the lions this year ...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why cant Stafford be discussed without bringing up Goff?
Man, it's amazing how the former #16 rents for free in some of your heads.
Stafford has proven time and time again that he can put up big numbers, bring a team back from behind and make game winning throws.
Conversely, he has some legit doubts, based on his own merits. He hasnt had playoff success, or much in the way of team success. Even back when he was drafted there was concern of his poor play in big games.
I think he'll be great and answer all the doubts, provided McVay doesnt try too much, too soon. There will be an adjustment period whether we like it or not. If he tries to do too much it could have bad results.
Even that jerkoff down in Tampa had some early struggles, but the team carried him a bit and they got thru it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Stafford had OC's like Linehan and Jim Bob Cooter. And no run game to speak of. Now he'll be going to an offense run by Sean McVay with legit weapons at his disposal. That's like living in a tent for 12 years, winning the lottery and moving into a mansion.

dang

Legend
The Stafford/Goff debate should be settled by week 7 of the 2021 season. Until then it’s ‘pointless/counter-pointless’ time.

Tano

Legend
Stafford has proven time and time again that he can put up big numbers, bring a team back from behind and make game winning throws.
Conversely, he has some legit doubts, based on his own merits. He hasnt had playoff success, or much in the way of team success. Even back when he was drafted there was concern of his poor play in big games.
I think he'll be great and answer all the doubts, provided McVay doesnt try too much, too soon. There will be an adjustment period whether we like it or not. If he tries to do too much it could have bad results.
Even that jerkoff down in Tampa had some early struggles, but the team carried him a bit and they got thru it.
I bring up Goff mostly to compare him to Stafford and to point out that we had a very weak center playing in front of Goff and that led to a lot of Goff's downfalls.

I am hoping Corbett plays much better than Blythe or Stafford may have some of the same issues as Goff. I want to stress some because Stafford definitely has strengths that Goff doesn't have. However, every QB that has pressure up the middle usually do not do well in those games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
TL;DR. You really seem to think that McVay sabotaged his own QB in the remote hope that he could trade for someone of Staffords caliber. Strange. Also, weren't you the one that was shitting all over Staley and his terrible scheme at the beginning of last year? Also strange.
BAD COMPARISONS

is Mcvay’s play calling in your head ?
Just as much as anything Jared Goff gets a fresh start.Detroit is not set up like The Rams.Tampa last season wasn’t either.I believe it was Tampa’s defense that won it for them.(Suh)
As Al Davis you to say just win baby.
Brady seems to always do that.I don’t see Stafford struggling at all.The Rams have the offense set up.In fact it is more souped up & ready to go.He is Just taking The helm & the Keys.
O’Connell is back & the first time Mcvay has had the same OC the following season.The offensive line with Corbett could be the biggest concern?He struggled in Cleveland & The Rams got him for only a 5th rd pick.Dude has never played center in his career.
Gerald Everett was a good blocking TE.Imo Jefferson is a better WR than Reynolds was,plus DJ1 will be excellent with McVays offense.Did Johnny Mundt should be able to step up ?Stafford is known to find his TE.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Stafford/Goff debate should be settled by week 7 of the 2021 season. Until then it’s ‘pointless/counter-pointless’ time.

well it will be interesting,seeing Jared Goff playing in Detroit.

I don’t know if anyone has ever broke Goff’s game down like this,but here it goes.

1—St.Louis (Dome) - he sucked(rookie)

3 seasons— Los Angeles Coliseum .He did well on the grass.

1 season SOFI — field turf.

conclusion is Goff might have trouble playing inside on Artificial Turf ? Who knows though ? I liked Goff’s leadership & am excited to see him with a different team..

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a long time Rams Fan,this is a guy I think will be missed from a Leadership role.AD99 gets his chance to be a bigger part of The DL group.Henderson is also such a Solid Coach.

AD inspires by example, and always has. So he doesn't need "his chance to lead," since he's already been doing it.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The Rams had to do something. It was getting to the point that every time Goff stepped back to pass I closed my eyes for fear he would throw a pick. Defenses were Teeing off on him as if he had a tell. Defenses seemed to know when he was passing and when the Rams were running the ball.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Stafford is one of those QBs who got their teams to the playoffs on his back for the most part. He is just that good. Now did he rely on Calvin J too much, sure. But that was their coaches fault doing what they had to to just get into the playoffs so they would not get fired.
Going to the Rams changes EVERYTHING. And by everything, that means better WRS,TEs, O line, RBSs coaching and DEFENSE. Along with boy genius at head coach. Better scheme, better front office, better ownership. Time to see what Matt can do with the tools that have been kept from him for so long.
Stafford is a stud who does not shrink when things get tough. All those come from behinds with a shit team around him means something.
And he has huge 10" hands, that means something for NFL QBs . We all got nervous when Goff was in trouble with defenders all around him. Those days are over.
Stafford is a RAM, get behind him or get out.

Now, those of you Rams fan who have been around long enough to remember the LA Rams trading for once great veteran quarterbacks like Namath, Jones, Bartkowski who were about the same age as Stafford all have to hope this turns out different like me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford is one of those QBs who got their teams to the playoffs on his back for the most part. He is just that good. Now did he rely on Calvin J too much, sure. But that was their coaches fault doing what they had to to just get into the playoffs so they would not get fired.
Going to the Rams changes EVERYTHING. And by everything, that means better WRS,TEs, O line, RBSs coaching and DEFENSE. Along with boy genius at head coach. Better scheme, better front office, better ownership. Time to see what Matt can do with the tools that have been kept from him for so long.
Stafford is a stud who does not shrink when things get tough. All those come from behinds with a shit team around him means something.
And he has huge 10" hands, that means something for NFL QBs . We all got nervous when Goff was in trouble with defenders all around him. Those days are over.
Stafford is a RAM, get behind him or get out.

Now, those of you Rams fan who have been around long enough to remember the LA Rams trading for once great veteran quarterbacks like Namath, Jones, Bartkowski who were about the same age as Stafford all have to hope this turns out different like me.
I don't like the comparison you made to Stafford:
Namath: worn out QB with two bad knees...
Jones and Bartkowski: Was never that impressed with either of them. At least Namath was great for a couple of years in NYC.

Stafford is a level above those three guys, even though they may be the same ages when they became Rams. They were killed by defenses and QB's in today's era have longer NFL lives due to the protection they receive... Maybe if we got the 27 year old versions of Namath, Bartkowski and Jones, I'd agree with you.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Stafford hasn't won a playoff game with a shitty team so he'll never win one.

Idiot logic.

Psycho_X

Legend
well it will be interesting,seeing Jared Goff playing in Detroit.

I don’t know if anyone has ever broke Goff’s game down like this,but here it goes.

1—St.Louis (Dome) - he sucked(rookie)
Goff never played in St. Louis. His first season was the first season back in LA.

Yeah, some times you can get to the playoffs just by having a few really good players but once you get there you aren't going anywhere without a mostly complete team and good coaching.