Stafford Can't / Won't Win A Playoff Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pfff. Stat Padford is a bum and chokes in big games. The Lions should now be considered the clear favorite in the NFC.....

Tano

Legend
Just to clarify, I agree with trading for Stafford over Goff since after watching him he fits McVay's offense better then Goff but I felt the price was a bit steep. However, McVay not giving Goff enough credit after the Green Bay playoff game pretty much upped the price. Plus the other comments that Goff is our QB "right now" didn't help either.

However, I have moved past the trade and have gone all in on Stafford because I do like what I have seen from Stafford after watching his games.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just to clarify, I agree with trading for Stafford over Goff since after watching him he fits McVay's offense better then Goff but I felt the price was a bit steep. However, McVay not giving Goff enough credit after the Green Bay playoff game pretty much upped the price. Plus the other comments that Goff is our QB "right now" didn't help either.

i disagree. they wouldn't of said any of that stuff if a deal wasn't already struck.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I remember that bad call in the Cowboys game. Then the Cowboys got screwed on a bad call in the following game. The refs giveth and the refs taketh.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If your team runs for 30 yards in a game, you should lose, regardless of anything else.
That the Lions lost those two games should be a surprise to no one.
They rushed for 90 against Dallas and 50 against Seattle, so if 30 yards is the barometer it only excuses one game. 5 turnovers in 3 post season games doesnt help

Tano

Legend
They rushed for 90 against Dallas and 50 against Seattle, so if 30 yards is the barometer it only excuses one game. 5 turnovers in 3 post season games doesnt help
He said 34 yards against Seattle excluding Staffords runs.

Tano

Legend
In the Dallas game, this is the game if Stafford was a winner that he should have won. He had many chances to win that game.

I hope that game was an outlier.

The other two games, it was Stafford against the other teams defense since their run game was non-existent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
H
He said 34 yards against Seattle excluding Staffords runs.
e said that they lost those 2 games....
Im good with him playing poorly in those games, it was important education for Staff to gain on somebody else's dime.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Oops, I removed Stafford's 15 yards, I am sure that was a designed run play.

In 2 of 3 games, the Lions could not move the ball on the ground at all. A recipe for disaster, and much higher probability of turnovers.

My comment does not include the Dallas game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The beauty of sports tbh. Rams as a whole need all 3 phases to come together to win it all, to include Stafford making the most of his talent around him at QB. I think they have the pieces across the board but you never know.
At this point here as July begins ...my only major concern is a serious lack of proven pass rush skilled Ram defenders outside of AD.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Being completely honest, I'm not excited and have my doubts about Stafford in big games. I hope I'm wrong. I love this team. But my gut feeling is still that we made a mistake with that trade. Regardless, I'll be rooting my heart out for the Rams. This team has sucked ass for almost my entire time as a fan, so I'm going to enjoy the good football while we have it.

Well, I understand. Really.

But I would argue that there's a difference between having doubts and really believing Stafford is incapable of winning playoff games.

If we don't win a playoff game this year, with the new toys, I will be extremely disappointed.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I'm not concerned about his playoff record. There's enough talent on this team that it shouldn't come down to Stafford winning or losing games for us. Even if he does have a bad game and we get knocked out of the playoffs I'm not gonna hold it against him. It's a team game and just because we traded for Stafford does not automatically make us entitled to a Superbowl championship. Everything else has to go just right as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At this point here as July begins ...my only major concern is a serious lack of proven pass rush skilled Ram defenders outside of AD.
That's a smart concern too Boni and I share it. I think what happened this offseason is the Rams prioritized other shit that they thought were more of a problem and couldn't quite get to the blindside position. Usually that does take a higher pick investment to fix it too. And they continue to utilize AD as the central piece of their pass rush strategy which is hard to argue.

But at some point here soon I do hope they either find a blindside option through luck (i.e. someone on the roster like Garrett) or make the investment. Problem is that LT looms as another cornerstone position that will need to be addressed soon and will eat a top pick. So who knows. Maybe they have a LT option on the roster though I am skeptical on that too.

Tano

Legend
I'm not concerned about his playoff record. There's enough talent on this team that it shouldn't come down to Stafford winning or losing games for us. Even if he does have a bad game and we get knocked out of the playoffs I'm not gonna hold it against him. It's a team game and just because we traded for Stafford does not automatically make us entitled to a Superbowl championship. Everything else has to go just right as well.
Damn it - Superbowl or bust

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Stafford is 0-2 In the playoffs. Has shown he can't win the big games. How do we know he can't
win the big games? Well we go to any sports sight and go to schedule history and it says it
right there.
No need to go back and look at the games themselves. We have all the information
we need . Lions are winless in the playoffs and that is Stafford's fault.

For anyone of you interested in the pointless information on those games.
I will do my best to explain the circumstances of Stafford's failure.

GAME 1 features the 10-6 Lions against the 13-3 saints.

First Half

IN a gun slinging battle between two of the better QB's in the game.
The saints giving up two fumbles early, in which the Lions were unable to capitalize
The lions however are still up 14- 7 with the saints threatening at the Lions 7yd line
with under a minute until half the saints attempt 2 passes, with both of those
passes hitting Lion defenders in the hands before being dropped.
Saints settle for field goal

Second Half
The saint start out the 3rd by scoring ten unanswered points, before Stafford strikes back
with a 1 yd run for a TD. Now making the score 24-21 Saints.
4th quarter After Brees throws another pass right in the hands of a lion defender, That is once again dropped.
Sproles breaks for a 17yd run for a score.

Stafford feeling the pressure slings deep pass to Titus Young who falls down trying to adjust to the 50/50
ball and the pass is intercepted.The Saints respond with a 56yd TD pass to Meachem making the score 21-38 saints ( No Lion defender within 12yds of Meachem)

Stafforrd responds with a 12 yd TD pass to Johnson. 28-38 Saints
Saints score on insuring drive with 1yd TD run by Pierre Thomas. 28-45 Saints.
Stafford with little time left slings desperation type pass for his second INT

Stafford in his third year hung in the best he could against Brees the machine.
I was extremely impressed With Detroit's running game putting up 32yds while only allowing 167yds and Pierre Thomas 8.3yds per carry

View attachment 46184

Not going to get into the 2016 playoff game at Seattle.
Just some notes on that game.
Detroit started their rookie guard for the first time at center and
were forced to start their 3rd string tackle because of injuries.
Stafford who was playing with a dislocated finger on his throwing hand but,
should have somehow prevented the injuries on the oline.
I did watch a couple series of first quarter where on two consecutive
3rd down plays, Stafford hit two receivers right in the chest, only to watch them drop both of them.

Stopped watching at that point.

The Detroit running game again shined for 34yds ( if you subtract Stafford's 15yds on the ground)
Putting to shame Seattle's measly 177yds rushing.

View attachment 46185

This is one guy's opinion but Stafford will NEVER win a playoff game until
He can learn how to stop opposing teams from running up and down the field on offense.

Congratulations Rams you have acquired a loser who is incapable of winning a playoff game.
You talked me into it. We suck.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oops, I removed Stafford's 15 yards, I am sure that was a designed run play.

In 2 of 3 games, the Lions could not move the ball on the ground at all. A recipe for disaster, and much higher probability of turnovers.

My comment does not include the Dallas game.
Funny how things change
This time last year if anyone discussed Stafford's playoff failures, it wouldnt be an argument. He was awful against Seattle and Dallas. Which is fine by me. I dont need a QB who needs excuses for his failure.
He got the bad games out of his system, and now we'll get the best he's got. All good by me