Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasRam

Legend
The trade aside.

I heard a talking head this week mention the impact this game will have on how the NFL world views Staffords career.

Interesting thing is that if Stafford plays lights out and beats the Niners and then proceeds to get the Lombardi he will probably be a lock for the hall of fame when you combine his career stats with Detroit with a Lombardi and possible Super Bowl MVP.

Conversely, if he loses vs the Niners he likely falls out of hall of fame conversation.

His entire career can be defined by this Niner game. The AFC defenses are pretty soft by any measure - everything is there for him - if he can put together the game of his career on Sunday.

It’s just interesting to think of the impact the game will have on Staffords legacy and how he will be remembered.

jjab360

Legend
The trade aside.

I heard a talking head this week mention the impact this game will have on how the NFL world views Staffords career.

Interesting thing is that if Stafford plays lights out and beats the Niners and then proceeds to get the Lombardi he will probably be a lock for the hall of fame when you combine his career stats with Detroit with a Lombardi and possible Super Bowl MVP.

Conversely, if he loses vs the Niners he likely falls out of hall of fame conversation.

His entire career can be defined by this Niner game
. The AFC defenses are pretty soft by any measure - everything is there for him - if he can put together the game of his career on Sunday.

It’s just interesting to think of the impact the game will have on Staffords legacy and how he will be remembered.
I mean... this isn't the last year of his career lol. He could still come back next year and win it all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The trade aside.

His entire career can be defined by this Niner game. The AFC defenses are pretty soft by any measure - everything is there for him - if he can put together the game of his career on Sunday.

All true. However in today's NFL pocket QB life span 33 years is still in that prime. He has all the skills he's picked up plus McVay now polishing him up and putting teams around him. Truth is he's got many years to do this at what should be a high level.

Maybe that rewrite goes over more than the first season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Stafford is basically crashing the "Great QB" party here. Saying where's my chair fuckers. :part:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Stafford has been fucking brilliant the last two weeks and was pretty fucking good against the 9ers the last time.

tempests

Hall of Fame

He needs a strong finish to his 30s and at least a few more seasons like 2021 to put him in HOF territory, IMO. Pro Football Reference HOF monitor, while not perfect, is still a good tool for stacking Hall of Fame resumes, puts Stafford at 41st all time among QBs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm

jjab360

Legend
He needs a strong finish to his 30s and at least a few more seasons like 2021 to put him in HOF territory, IMO. Pro Football Reference HOF monitor, while not perfect, is still a good tool for stacking Hall of Fame resumes, puts Stafford at 41st all time among QBs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm
Very interesting. He should have at least five years to rise up that list and will likely be in with a Super Bowl or two, but the bulk stats are already there. 12th all time in TDs and 12th all time in yards for anyone interested.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I probably should have been more specific.

It seemed like whenever Stafford got sacked it was because he held the ball too long trying to make a play.

Otherwise he was really good getting the ball out to the right guy.

it looked like quite a few times when he got sacked he should have just dumped the ball off or throw it away.

Goff always was high on the list of not getting sacked. Stafford was always a lot lower on the list. Even this year, Stafford had more sacks 30 this year than Goff did last year 23 (lets add 3 and make it 26 for a 17 game season and his missed game) and he had a much better OL this year. Allen may not have been the best center but he was light years better than Blythe on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/13/rams-matthew-stafford-jared-goff-stats-comparison/

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/goff-2018-vs-stafford-2021.66322/

There's been comparisons of Goff's 2018 season and Stafford's 2021 season showing they are close. Goff was sacked 33 times that year (2018) for sometimes possibly "holding onto the ball too long."

I think a telling stat is that Stafford is now tied with Goff in Rams playoff wins (2), and TD passes (4) done in 1 playoff season (2021) compared to Goff's 3 (2017-18, 2020). In that Super Bowl run that some like to glorify Goff for, he had 1 TD and 2 ints in 3 postseason games. Yes we cheered for Goff back then on the way to that SB fail, but we've had a new (and improved) sheriff in town. And we ain't done yet.

Tano

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/13/rams-matthew-stafford-jared-goff-stats-comparison/

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/goff-2018-vs-stafford-2021.66322/

There's been comparisons of Goff's 2018 season and Stafford's 2021 season showing they are close. Goff was sacked 33 times that year (2018) for sometimes possibly "holding onto the ball too long."

I think a telling stat is that Stafford is now tied with Goff in Rams playoff wins (2), and TD passes (4) done in 1 playoff season (2021) compared to Goff's 3 (2017-18, 2020). In that Super Bowl run that some like to glorify Goff for, he had 1 TD and 2 ints in 3 postseason games. Yes we cheered Goff on the way to that SB fail, but we've had a new (and improved) sheriff in town. And we ain't done yet.
I am not saying Goff is as good as Stafford.

I was just responding that I think we win those two games with Goff as well.

However, I think we would have barely gotten that last playoff spot at 10-7 with Goff.

So we probably wouldn't have played those two games anyway

Tano

Legend
NP. I liked Goff as well. It just seems this conversation is old, boring, and pointless. Not to mention pure, unanswerable speculation. Yawn.
True - I just think people should stop putting down Goff. It is getting old and I am tired of defending him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And one of them was 99% Henderson's fault.

So as I said before - 1 bad play out of 51 throws

Still pretty damn good in my book
But still not what Stafford did in either of the games against the Bucs this season.

And this notion of "well.. they would've been better off and had a cleaner game and they would've won more comfortably because McVay would've been calling a more conservative game" is one of the less serious takes we've had on here.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
True - I just think people should stop putting down Goff. It is getting old and I am tired of defending him.
Creating fantastical arguments to support Goff do him no favors and probably encourage people to come harder after him.

Your takes on this matchup and that there would've been fewer fumbles because Goff was playing is one of those.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I got to say both arguments are tired. Goff is a good QB and doesn't really deserve to be referenced as a loser. He was part of the change in culture and won some great games. Stafford is a better QB, it is obvious to everyone. When Rams wins this game, we don't need any trade justification by belittling goff. You can just say the trade was worth it. It says it all.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah... Just not sure why you feel such a deep need. You seem to look for that particular fight.

I could see if Goff was still a Ram. But he's not. And while I don't blame anyone for wishing him well, I don't understand the fall on the sword mentality of defending him.

I watched Warner when he left. I even watched Bruce in those disgusting colors. I watched Tory afterward. And while I wished they were still Rams, I moved on.

Of course what makes this different is that we traded out Goff for a better player at his position. And even though you yourself acknowledge that, you still find the need to place Goff in an if/then bubble to elevate him to the QB that would somehow be able to win it all for us.

Is it worth it? Seems like a mental excercise in tilting at windmills.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I got to say both arguments are tired. Goff is a good QB and doesn't really deserve to be referenced as a loser. He was part of the change in culture and won some great games. Stafford is a better QB, it is obvious to everyone. When Rams wins this game, we don't need any trade justification by belittling goff. You can just say the trade was worth it. It says it all.
Agreed. Identifying that Staff is a better QB should not be looked at as a slight on Goff. Pretty simple.

sloramfan

Starter
goff supporter here...

stafford fanatic here...

ho hummm... this thread is drad...

ding dong the thread is dead....

go rams

slo

Status
Not open for further replies.