Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

falcon-x-timelapse.gif

MachS

Hall of Fame
Perhaps not but the Saints had us down 13-0 in the NFCCG and we came back to win.
That was the best game of Goff's life. He was great, as he was versus KC and MIN that year too. But inconsistency at QB kills a team and that's what he was. You cant get paid $35M and be that inconsistent. Stafford has proven to have a much higher floor and an even higher upside than Goff. We throw the ball down the field constantly now and are more explosive. The only real argument against him was lack of
playoff wins, but that is dead now.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
That was the best game of Goff's life. He was great, as he was versus KC and MIN that year too. But inconsistency at QB kills a team and that's what he was. You cant get paid $35M and be that inconsistent. Stafford has proven to have a much higher floor and an even higher upside than Goff. We throw the ball down the field constantly now and are more explosive. The only real argument against him was lack of
playoff wins, but that is dead now.

I'm really happy for Stafford. He has proved that a good coach and surrounding staff and team can make such a HUGE difference.

One more win and Stafford has a winning playoff record.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
while im personally still a fan of goff and his talent, and dont think theres nearly as big a talent gap between goff and stafford as many would believe, I think these last 2 playoff games are exactly why the trade was worth it. Stafford just has that clutch gene, which was clearly on display with the 2 score 4th qt comeback this game and the game winning drive last week. With goff, these situations were more of a pray the rams can score and win the game. With stafford, its almost you expect to score in these situations.

I'm sure ppl will continue to preach how much stafford opens up mcvays offense, or how he was handicapped and held back by goff, and that very well may be the case considering how different the offense looked last year to this year, but stafford certianly didnt take this offense to some crazy new highs like many expected. And without looking it up, pretty sure goff led offense still the best offense under mcvay. But again, the success of these late game drives, especially in playoffs, cant be under stated. Stafford has been worth every penny

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stafford was dropping some dimes out there to the guys like Blanton and Skow and Blanton took full advantage. Imagine if Skow had hauled that TD in. Seems to me that he's doing a good job elevating these depth guys by getting them involved and putting the ball on them with confidence.

It also seems like shit really clicked to another level with the playoffs too. I mean 3 games now this dude is just dealing.

MachS

Hall of Fame
And without looking it up, pretty sure goff led offense still the best offense under mcvay
The problem with your post is this. Goff didn't lead the #2 offense under McVay... Gurley did. Gurley had 20TDs and put the offense on his back that year. Goff executed well, but once he was asked to carry the team post-Gurley injury he fell on his face.

This team lost our star RB in the off-season and Stafford was asked to completely carry this offense. And he threw for 4,900/ 41TDs in his first year under McVay while taking the team to the Super Bowl. Not to mention allowing Kupp to put up one of the best WR seasons in the history of the NFL.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
The problem with your post is this. Goff didn't lead the #2 offense under McVay... Gurley did. Gurley had 20TDs and put the offense on his back that year. Goff executed well, but once he was asked to carry the team post-Gurley injury he fell on his face.

This team lost our star RB in the off-season and Stafford was asked to completely carry this offense. And he threw for 4,900/ 41TDs in his first year under McVay while taking the team to the Super Bowl. Not to mention allowing Kupp to put up one of the best WR seasons in the history of the NFL.
and kupp missed half the season and playoffs in 2018. sure gurley made it easier on goff and the offense as a whole better, but did kupp not just do the same thing this year? lol. weird argument. statistically speaking, their stats are very similar, but the offense as a whole was better in 2018 in ppg and yards per game

MachS

Hall of Fame
and kupp missed half the season and playoffs in 2018. sure gurley made it easier on goff and the offense as a whole better, but did kupp not just do the same thing this year? lol. weird argument. statistically speaking, their stats are very similar, but the offense as a whole was better in 2018 in ppg and yards per game
This isn't really an argument anymore dude tbh. The stats tell the story, the film tells the story. Not much else to say.

View: https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNFL/status/1487985389897924608?s=20&t=9a5N2UA3zn8GJFjGG4hrcQ

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I will say I want the Super Bowl win now. Finish strong 9. Put that exclamation on all of it year one let's gooooo!

oldnotdead

Legend
while im personally still a fan of goff and his talent, and dont think theres nearly as big a talent gap between goff and stafford as many would believe,

Agreed. Also, look at how much better the OL is. Goff rarely had the time that Stafford routinely has. People called Goff a turnover machine, but Stafford has thrown more INTs.

But bottom line, Goff wasn't McVay's QB and he wasn't a good fit for McVay's offense. McVay has no interest in developing a young QB. Stafford allows McVay not to have to play that role. I honestly believe that the Rams will never draft their "franchise QB" and take the time to develop him while McVay is the HC.

It's just easier to trade for a hired gun who they know would be a fit for Sean's offense. Barring injury, Stafford will probably play until 37 or 40. So if the Rams do draft a QB then it would be as a backup, contingency player. I think they have a good one in Perkins. I would feel much more comfortable with Perkins than Wolford.

Tano

Legend
Perhaps not but the Saints had us down 13-0 in the NFCCG and we came back to win.
Oh I agree with that but whiners had Goff's number 3 out of his last 4 games with them.

I think Goff would have gotten blown up by 49ers pass rush too.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Agreed. Also, look at how much better the OL is. Goff rarely had the time that Stafford routinely has. People called Goff a turnover machine, but Stafford has thrown more INTs.

But bottom line, Goff wasn't McVay's QB and he wasn't a good fit for McVay's offense. McVay has no interest in developing a young QB. Stafford allows McVay not to have to play that role. I honestly believe that the Rams will never draft their "franchise QB" and take the time to develop him while McVay is the HC.

It's just easier to trade for a hired gun who they know would be a fit for Sean's offense. Barring injury, Stafford will probably play until 37 or 40. So if the Rams do draft a QB then it would be as a backup, contingency player. I think they have a good one in Perkins. I would feel much more comfortable with Perkins than Wolford.

Or.. counterpoint here... Goff's just not as good as Stafford. And the difference between them is what was needed.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
McVay has no interest in developing a young QB.
Why do people keep saying this? Goff was McVay's QB for 4 years. He tried to develop him, it eventually didn't work out.

Anyways, back to Stafford, I love this man, and I want to give Detroit an extra 1st round draft pick in appreciation of the gift they gave us. He was more than worth it!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why do people keep saying this? Goff was McVay's QB for 4 years. He tried to develop him, it eventually didn't work out.

Anyways, back to Stafford, I love this man, and I want to give Detroit an extra 1st round draft pick in appreciation of the gift they gave us. He was more than worth it!
This year's first round pick is worth two low second rounders.
We'll see what the total value is after next season... but, quite literally, Stafford is currently a BARGAIN.

oldnotdead

Legend
People overlook how good he played in 2018 (short memories i guess). The difference was he was behind a good OL. Go back and look at the Monday night game vs KC or the NFC Championship Game.

This is not the same offense. McVay by his own admission says he changed it to better tailor it to Stafford's strengths, something he refused to do with Goff. This is a circular argument and meaningless at this point. Haters will be haters for whatever reason, ignoring that Stafford makes the same mistakes when pressured. All that is important is that Stafford is McVay's shiny new toy and it's obvious that Sean can win with Stafford. Let us hope that Stafford can now deliver the Super Bowl win for us all.

I have no ill will for either Goff or Stafford. They simply are two different QBs with different strengths and weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.