Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm really interested in seeing the number they come up with for a new Stafford contract.
I hope he sees the value in having fun and winning... and I think he does. He's made plenty of money.
this is what I'm hoping for, playing for McVay and keeping this thing going. I can't believe money would his priority.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
this is what I'm hoping for, playing for McVay and keeping this thing going. I can't believe money would his priority.
I read or heard money just won’t be an issue. I’m thinking a Brady-like deal.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno.

Worth it is so subjective.

I think so by a country mile, but others don't and as we don't have the ability to see alternate universes to see what the actual alternatives were based on results...

All we can do is root for Stafford to keep winning.

I guess what I'm saying is that we've already paid the bill, so we all better HOPE it was worth it!!!

I think it was and then some.

Moreover, I think next year will be even better!!!

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff and the Rams beat the bucs in Tampa Bay last season for what it's worth.
I don't remember 4 fumbles in the game you are talking about. My apologies if my question was unclear. My question was, "Do you think Goff wins THAT game last Sunday?

Tano

Legend
Are you kidding?

Stafford held on to the ball too long?

Maybe go back and watch and look at the coverage situation.

Geez.
I probably should have been more specific.

It seemed like whenever Stafford got sacked it was because he held the ball too long trying to make a play.

Otherwise he was really good getting the ball out to the right guy.

it looked like quite a few times when he got sacked he should have just dumped the ball off or throw it away.

Goff always was high on the list of not getting sacked. Stafford was always a lot lower on the list. Even this year, Stafford had more sacks 30 this year than Goff did last year 23 (lets add 3 and make it 26 for a 17 game season and his missed game) and he had a much better OL this year. Allen may not have been the best center but he was light years better than Blythe on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
You think Goff could have navigated a Blitz happy Todd Bowles Defense and lead the team to a win with the 4 fumbles? Fair enough. I do not. And I was a big Goff supporter. He was at his absolute best in a clean pocket, compared to Stafford who thrives against the blitz.
I just think the game would have been a lot different under Goff and I think he could have led us to a win the way the defense was playing. It would have been a lot closer and I don't think we would have had a bad snap with Goff. Not blaming Stafford on that bad snap. I just think McVay would have called different plays with Goff.

In addition, as someone stated, he did play well against Tampa last year and they were blitz happy that game too.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
There's no way of knowing what would have happened this year with Goff at QB.....good or bad. And it doesn't really matter. We gave up, at best the #29 pick in the 2022 draft and probably no higher than the #18 pick in the 2023 (though I would bet a lot lower). A lot of the throws Stafford made, both good and bad, Goff probably wouldn't even attempt. JMHO.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I probably should have been more specific.

It seemed like whenever Stafford got sacked it was because he held the ball too long trying to make a play.

Otherwise he was really good getting the ball out to the right guy.

it looked like quite a few times when he got sacked he should have just dumped the ball off or throw it away.

Goff always was high on the list of not getting sacked. Stafford was always a lot lower on the list. Even this year, Stafford had more sacks 30 this year than Goff did last year 23 (lets add 3 and make it 26 for a 17 game season and his missed game) and he had a much better OL this year. Allen may not have been the best center but he was light years better than Blythe on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.
The Rams incorporated longer routes this year. Last year the offense was designed to get the ball out of Goff's hands as quickly and easily as possible.
Goff averaged 6.6 air yards per attempt last year.. Stafford averaged 8.2 air yards per attempt.

There's a difference between holding on to the ball too long and running long-developing plays.

Tano

Legend
The Rams incorporated longer routes this year. Last year the offense was designed to get the ball out of Goff's hands as quickly and easily as possible.
Goff averaged 6.6 air yards per attempt last year.. Stafford averaged 8.2 air yards per attempt.

There's a difference between holding on to the ball too long and running long-developing plays.
That's true but I blame a large extent of that on Blythe. Sorry I really disliked his play on long downs.

What I am trying to say about Stafford is that there were quite a few times this year that he tried to play hero ball and he should have gone with the shorter route. Otherwise I am very happy that we got Stafford and yes the draft picks are worth it.

I just disagree with people saying there is no way Goff would have won the game against Tampa.

If everything was exactly the same, then yes we probably lose. I stated that by saying he would not have gotten us in FG range with 40 seconds left. But I think we would have won with Goff because the game would have played out differently. McVay would have called different plays for Goff and the game would have more time consuming drives with Goff. And who knows if the fumbles occur. Different plays would result in different outcomes.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That's true but I blame a large extent of that on Blythe. Sorry I really disliked his play on long downs.

What I am trying to say about Stafford is that there were quite a few times this year that he tried to play hero ball and he should have gone with the shorter route. Otherwise I am very happy that we got Stafford and yes the draft picks are worth it.

I just disagree with people saying there is no way Goff would have won the game against Tampa.

If everything was exactly the same, then yes we probably lose. I stated that by saying he would not have gotten us in FG range with 40 seconds left. But I think we would have won with Goff because the game would have played out differently. McVay would have called different plays for Goff and the game would have more time consuming drives with Goff. And who knows if the fumbles occur. Different plays would result in different outcomes.
This is a fantasy world that improves the performances around Goff to create some scenario of perfect support.

Stafford threw for 700 yards & 6 TDs with no ints against the Bucs.

He was, literally, the difference, along with Kupp, between victory & defeat in this game.

Tano

Legend
This is a fantasy world that improves the performances around Goff to create some scenario of perfect support.

Stafford threw for 700 yards & 6 TDs with no ints against the Bucs.

He was, literally, the difference, along with Kupp, between victory & defeat in this game.
Cmon - our defense would have won that game handily if not for the turnovers

Goff would have done just enough to win that game

39 - 51 379 yds 3 TDs is a pretty damn good game

If not for the 2 Ints - that would have been a perfect game

jacktheripper85

Starter

Well, what’s irrefutable is that Stafford actually got us to that game and won. How do you know that we even get that far if Goff was the starter all year. And if we were just middling around record wise with Goff do we make the moves for Von and Beckham.

In my opinion Goff can’t win without the right support and with the loss of Akers and eventually Woods we would have been dead in the water if Goff had to carry us all year.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Yea there's no question that we actually throw the ball down the field now. Look at 'Completed Air Yards' per pass as well. Stafford #1, Goff #29. And it's not just the Lions offense. Goff on the Rams the previous two years finished #30 and #28. He always chose underneath routes in the concepts while Stafford always looks down the field first. There's a lot of reasons for this, but I think Stafford is just much better at reading defenses and going through progressions. IMO that is why McVay wanted to move on, Goff just didn't develop enough in those areas. And all this is not even mentioning how they play facing pressure or a strong pass rush. Because that is not even close. If you blitzed Goff or he faced any sort of pressure around him his play deteriorated. He was best with a perfectly clean pocket, but that doesn't happen much in the NFL versus good teams.

1643493539698.png

Tano

Legend
Well, what’s irrefutable is that Stafford actually got us to that game and won. How do you know that we even get that far if Goff was the starter all year. And if we were just middling around record wise with Goff do we make the moves for Von and Beckham.

In my opinion Goff can’t win without the right support and with the loss of Akers and eventually Woods we would have been dead in the water if Goff had to carry us all year.
If you read my first post on this subject of would Goff win against TB and Arizona, I stated that I do not know what our record would be but if we were to face Arizona and TB, then I think Goff would win those 2 games as well. However, I also stated that I think we would lose to the 49ers as well.

You need to read all my posts before stating your opinions on my posts.

Thanks

Tano

Legend
And if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle. She might want to change her name though.
We still won that game.

So instead of having a perfect game he had a very good to great game.

And if I recall correctly, one of those interceptions was an incredible play by the defensive back quite literally taking the football out of Woods hands (or am I thinking of a different play)

I am going to have to go back and look at those two interceptions

Edit - Okay it was a different game on the Woods interception that I was thinking of.

However, the first interception I put the blame almost entirely on Henderson. Goff threw it and Henderson wasn't even looking for the ball. There was no pressure on Goff so he didn't throw it early. It was 99% Henderson's fault.

The second one was 100% Goff not seeing the defender.

So Goff had one really bad play in that game. Big deal. I see QBs on other teams have bad plays from time to time.

That was still a great game by Goff against TB last year.

And just to clarify all this, I am just stating this is in response to people stating we would not have won against TB with Goff.

Nowhere in my statements am I stating we would be in the same boat this year with Goff. Stafford is an excellent QB and has taken us far. Glad to have him instead of Goff. I have stated that many times as well.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We still won that game.

So instead of having a perfect game he had a very good to great game.

And if I recall correctly, one of those interceptions was an incredible play by the defensive back quite literally taking the football out of Woods hands (or am I thinking of a different play)

I am going to have to go back and look at those two interceptions

Edit - Okay it was a different game on the Woods interception that I was thinking of.

However, the first interception I put the blame almost entirely on Henderson. Goff threw it and Henderson wasn't even looking for the ball. There was no pressure on Goff so he didn't throw it early. It was 99% Henderson's fault.

The second one was 100% Goff not seeing the defender.

So Goff had one really bad play in that game. Big deal. I see QBs on other teams have bad plays from time to time.

That was still a great game by Goff against TB last year.

And just to clarify all this, I am just stating this is in response to people stating we would not have won against TB with Goff.

Nowhere in my statements am I stating we would be in the same boat this year with Goff. Stafford is an excellent QB and has taken us far. Glad to have him instead of Goff. I have stated that many times as well.
NP. I liked Goff as well. It just seems this conversation is old, boring, and pointless. Not to mention pure, unanswerable speculation. Yawn.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

“If not for the two ints…”

Dude.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yea there's no question that we actually throw the ball down the field now. Look at 'Completed Air Yards' per pass as well. Stafford #1, Goff #29. And it's not just the Lions offense. Goff on the Rams the previous two years finished #30 and #28. He always chose underneath routes in the concepts while Stafford always looks down the field first. There's a lot of reasons for this, but I think Stafford is just much better at reading defenses and going through progressions. IMO that is why McVay wanted to move on, Goff just didn't develop enough in those areas. And all this is not even mentioning how they play facing pressure or a strong pass rush. Because that is not even close. If you blitzed Goff or he faced any sort of pressure around him his play deteriorated. He was best with a perfectly clean pocket, but that doesn't happen much in the NFL versus good teams.

View attachment 51568
Talk about apples to oranges, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.