Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Crowdsourcing opinions on personnel moves is one of their industry-leading analytics tools.

Lol.

Belichick doesn't strike me as someone who gives a Damn about what some mob thinks of his roster moves.

I doubt McVay does either.

They have both proven, beyond any doubt, that they know what they need in order to win in the NFL.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lol.

Belichick doesn't strike me as someone who gives a Damn about what some mob thinks of his roster moves.

I doubt McVay does either.

They have both proven, beyond any doubt, that they know what they need in order to win in the NFL.
I guess not putting this in blue was a mistake.

Clearly... a joke.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't see it that way at all, anymore.

His performance against Tampa was a game-winning difference. I don't know why you mentioned their oline problems.. Stafford wasn't playing them. What he was playing against was a healthy Tampa D for the first time all season. Stafford's performance at the end of the game will go down as one of the most incredible moments in Rams playoff history.

His performance made this year's first rounder traded for him drop in value.

He was worth it.
Agreed. Like I said in the original thread, the "Superbowl or Bust" rhetoric is just lazy. Some people just need to be right....or at the very least not wrong, so we have this mantra floating around until we win the SB........yawn. The trade was made so that the Rams would have the BEST CHANCE at playing in games like the one coming up on Sunday. Does anyone really still feel that we would be hosting the NFCCG with Goff at the helm this year?

To be clear, I was a huge Goff fan. Still am, but I just don't see this team being where they are this season, with him at QB. I just don't.

Tano

Legend
Agreed. Like I said in the original thread, the "Superbowl or Bust" rhetoric is just lazy. Some people just need to be right....or at the very least not wrong, so we have this mantra floating around until we win the SB........yawn. The trade was made so that the Rams would have the BEST CHANCE at playing in games like the one coming up on Sunday. Does anyone really still feel that we would be hosting the NFCCG with Goff at the helm this year?

To be clear, I was a huge Goff fan. Still am, but I just don't see this team being where they are this season, with him at QB. I just don't.
I am unsure what our final record would have been in the regular season but I could see us winning both the Arizona and Tampa games with Goff.

Goff has Arizona's number and in both games the Defense were at the top of their game and I believe Goff would have done just enough to squeak us by. Remember Goff never lost under McVay with a lead at halftime.

However, to counter that, if we were in the same exact boat at the end of the game where we only had 40 seconds to get a FG, then no Goff would not have gotten us those points because he would have been sacked on that last play. Maybe we could have won in OT with Goff but I doubt it.

As to SF, we probably would definitely lose with Goff.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am unsure what our final record would have been in the regular season but I could see us winning both the Arizona and Tampa games with Goff.

Goff has Arizona's number and in both games the Defense were at the top of their game and I believe Goff would have done just enough to squeak us by. Remember Goff never lost under McVay with a lead at halftime.

However, to counter that, if we were in the same exact boat at the end of the game where we only had 40 seconds to get a FG, then no Goff would not have gotten us those points because he would have been sacked on that last play. Maybe we could have won in OT with Goff but I doubt it.

Hard to know. But the thing I used to be woriied about Goff was the lack of awareness and the perceived helpless fumbling when hit somewhat unexpectedly. I think Goff might have fumbled himself in the Tampa game....

Tano

Legend
Hard to know. But the thing I used to be woriied about Goff was the lack of awareness and the perceived helpless fumbling when hit somewhat unexpectedly. I think Goff might have fumbled himself in the Tampa game....
Maybe but Stafford only got sacked twice when he held onto the ball too long in the Tampa Game. Maybe Goff would have gotten hit but he usually got the ball out faster than Stafford. It would have been a 5 yard pass though lol.

Goff was a master of the dump off.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Maybe but Stafford only got sacked twice when he held onto the ball too long in the Tampa Game. Maybe Goff would have gotten hit but he usually got the ball out faster than Stafford. It would have been a 5 yard pass though lol.

Goff was a master of the dump off.
Are you kidding?

Stafford held on to the ball too long?

Maybe go back and watch and look at the coverage situation.

Geez.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one ever questioned Stafford has talent. The football world has always questioned his consistency.

I hope to God he can stay consistent for two more games and justify the trade. If we see the inconsistent Stafford show up there isn’t one NFL talking head that will not question the trade.

Beating a flailing Cardinals team and a Tampa team with a beat up Oline and two Pro Bowl WR’s was expected.

Beating the Niners in a Championship game and winning a Super Bow is where Stafford justifies the trade.

A lot of pre ejaculation going on here :laugh1:let’s save that load until we are up in that thing.
It really strikes me as funny when the benchmark for the trade being worth it is us winning the Superbowl this year. So if Kupp would have fumbled after the long catch at the end of the game, and we end up losing, even though Stafford painted a masterpiece, then all of a sudden the trade wasn't worth it? It makes no sense.

It strikes me as, 'I was against the trade, therefore, I am going to set the highest bar possible, that way I am happy either way, because either we win the Superbowl or I can gripe about the trade.'

What if he has a bad game Sun? Then the trade wasn't worth it? But what if we win the SB the next 3 years, then magically it was worth it again? It is just odd.

You make a trade to be a team better. To give your team a better chance. We definitely have that now. We are a better team with Stafford vs with Goff and 2 firsts. I firmly believe that and I think the arguments against it are starting to get very thin.

I mean, you can't wait until you see the results before you pull the trigger on the trade. So what do you do? Never make a trade because you can't guarantee it will work out?

Do you think the Rams beat Tampa with Goff last sunday?

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You think Goff could have navigated a Blitz happy Todd Bowles Defense and lead the team to a win with the 4 fumbles? Fair enough. I do not. And I was a big Goff supporter. He was at his absolute best in a clean pocket, compared to Stafford who thrives against the blitz.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That was the biggest bitch wasn't it. Goff against pressure rated very low. Blitzing or just straight up pressure. This has been documented. The same as Stafford has performed better than any other QB against the blitz this season has been documented. It can't be disputed.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It strikes me as, 'I was against the trade, therefore, I am going to set the highest bar possible, that way I am happy either way, because either we win the Superbowl or I can gripe about the trade.'
It's strikes you correctly. Also, it's the same people over and over that push that nonsense. No sense in even discussing it anymore. They have their "winning card" up their sleeve in case the Rams don't win it all.

Meanwhile, that is the easiest and laziest take on earth. The odds are STACKED in their favor from the start of the season. Those odds get weaker for them every week though!!

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
You think Goff could have navigated a Blitz happy Todd Bowles Defense and lead the team to a win with the 4 fumbles? Fair enough. I do not. And I was a big Goff supporter. He was at his absolute best in a clean pocket, compared to Stafford who thrives against the blitz.

Goff and the Rams beat the bucs in Tampa Bay last season for what it's worth.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
To be fair there were a lot of people on this board thinking the same way, and most came around after watching film or seeing him in the preseason. Many wanted to keep Goff because we saw what he could be in 2018, or trading the two 1st rounders, Stafford's age, etc. etc. But a lot of the hardline pro-Goff crowd that are relatively rational and objective football fans eventually saw the difference in their game. I would say there are only a few people left that still don't like this trade and would prefer Goff. A slim few.

I'll give you and the other pro-Stafford guys props, from someone who was still in the Goff camp at the time of the trade. To be clear, I still think Goff can be a good to very good QB in this league, but he needs certain things around him and he needs the coach to scheme for him and adjust quicker when something gets taken away. And that is something that McVay will eventually have to do after Stafford moves on, which is hopefully not for at least another five-ten years (being optimistic on the high end).

Seeing what Stafford has done for this offense was enough to change my mind though. I think even if Goff had improved some over his 2020 performance, it still wouldn't have been the same as what Stafford has done for us. And while I think Goff has a pretty good arm, it's not the same as Stafford's, and the 44-yarder to Kupp last Sunday was ample demonstration of that. Stafford wasn't really able to get his feet fully set to make that throw and yet he still threw a perfect ball to Kupp. There is maybe one or two other QBs in the league right now that can make that throw, Mahomes being one of them. So yes, I have no problem admitting my initial instincts were wrong, and I'm happy to have Stafford on our team now, and I'm saying that with plenty of reverence for the guy he replaced.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Goff and the Rams beat the bucs in Tampa Bay last season for what it's worth.
I remember that as the "YAC" game... Goff threw for 376... and there was a ridiculous amount of YAC between Kupp and Woods.

Rams couldn't run the ball in that game either. And Goff didn't see his teammates put the ball on the ground 4 times. The only Rams turnovers were Goff's INTs.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Goff had one of his best games MNF vs Tampa last year, they were just as blitz happy then...Whit was out, and it must be pointed out Blythe was horrible last year, replacing him with a pro bowl alternate was huge (McVay clearly knew this)

Is Stafford an upgrade? of course he is, I cannot see anyone in their right mind disputing this at this time

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Goff had one of his best games MNF vs Tampa last year, they were just as blitz happy then...Whit was out, and it must be pointed out Blythe was horrible last year, replacing him with a pro bowl alternate was huge (McVay clearly knew this)

Is Stafford an upgrade? of course he is, I cannot see anyone in their right mind disputing this at this time
Stafford threw for 700 yards and 6tds with no ints in two games against the Bucs this season.
About a 125 rating, overall.

I'd agree with you.. he's an upgrade.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Stafford is easily an upgrade. I can only imagine what he would've done with the roster in 17 and 18 with a prime Gurley, GREAT OL, and Kupp/Woods/Cooks

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Sorry but I think the argument that "the Stafford trade is only justified if we win the SB" is ridiculous. The question should be, "are our chances of winning the SB better than if we hadn't made the trade?" Kind of hard to imagine any reasonable person can argue right now that we would have been better off without the trade.

Imagine this year... would our chances have been better with Goff instead of Stafford? No way.

How about next year, with Goff and a first rounder-- AND Goff's huge salary constraining our cap? No way.

And how about the year after that, again with Goff and his huge salary, and that 2nd 1st rounder?

No freaking way. Bottom line, Stafford is a big upgrade, and I think there's no way we'd be enjoying the position we're in without him. The remaining doubters of the trade should just give it up and acknowledge this trade was freaking awesome for our Rams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sorry but I think the argument that "the Stafford trade is only justified if we win the SB" is ridiculous. The question should be, "are our chances of winning the SB better than if we hadn't made the trade?" Kind of hard to imagine any reasonable person can argue right now that we would have been better off without the trade.

Imagine this year... would our chances have been better with Goff instead of Stafford? No way.

How about next year, with Goff and a first rounder-- AND Goff's huge salary constraining our cap? No way.

And how about the year after that, again with Goff and his huge salary, and that 2nd 1st rounder?

No freaking way. Bottom line, Stafford is a big upgrade, and I think there's no way we'd be enjoying the position we're in without him. The remaining doubters of the trade should just give it up and acknowledge this trade was freaking awesome for our Rams.
I'm really interested in seeing the number they come up with for a new Stafford contract.
I hope he sees the value in having fun and winning... and I think he does. He's made plenty of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.