scotch question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

six2stack

UDFA
Name
Rich
Anyone here try Naked Grouse? I picked up a bottle from Total Wine for around $36. For the price, it's hard to beat.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Going to visit Deanston distillery tomorrow, tour and tasting. Will put up some pics. I will definitely get pissed and buy expensive whisky I do not need.

So when you say you're going to "get pissed"... that doesn't mean you're going to get very angry... I'm guessing it means that you're going to get a nice buzz going (aka drunk)???

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
So when you say you're going to "get pissed"... that doesn't mean you're going to get very angry... I'm guessing it means that you're going to get a nice buzz going (aka drunk)???

Ah yeah pissed (we actually say pished) is scottish for drunk.

See also: smashed, battered, ko'd, hammered, fucked, melted...

We like to drink.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Going to visit Deanston distillery tomorrow, tour and tasting. Will put up some pics. I will definitely get pissed and buy expensive whisky I do not need.
Have a blast. Personally have not tried their whisky but it looks like they have some good stuff.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Anyone here try Naked Grouse? I picked up a bottle from Total Wine for around $36. For the price, it's hard to beat.

I’ll be interested to see what you think. I had it about 5-6 years ago and I didn’t like it much, has Highland Park as a major ingredient I believe. Liked the bottle design though.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
My cousin and I outside the distillery. The bags are our purchases... yeah. Expensive day.

IMG-20210724-WA0012.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Single Malt – To qualify as single malt, the Scotch must be made from a mash of 100% malted barley and distilled at a single distillery by way of a pot still distillation process.
  • Single Grain – Despite the name, single grain Scotch can incorporate other whole cereal grains (malted or unmalted) into the mash. The whisky must be distilled at a single distillery and it can be distilled continuously in continuous stills or column stills.
  • Blended Malt – A blend of single malt Scotch whiskies from at least two different distilleries.
  • Blended Grain – A blend of single grain Scotch whiskies from at least two different distilleries.
  • Blended Scotch – A blend of single malt and single grain Scotch whiskies.

1627151370823.png

1627151515813.png

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
What is Deanston renowned for? Peaty, fruit notes, or smoother like American Whisky?

Its smooth. Non-peated. But still plenty strong. I bought a 57% alcohol cask strength biatch. It's great stuff.

rdw

Pro Bowler
  • Single Malt – To qualify as single malt, the Scotch must be made from a mash of 100% malted barley and distilled at a single distillery by way of a pot still distillation process.
  • Single Grain – Despite the name, single grain Scotch can incorporate other whole cereal grains (malted or unmalted) into the mash. The whisky must be distilled at a single distillery and it can be distilled continuously in continuous stills or column stills.
  • Blended Malt – A blend of single malt Scotch whiskies from at least two different distilleries.
  • Blended Grain – A blend of single grain Scotch whiskies from at least two different distilleries.

View attachment 46713

View attachment 46714
I have yet to try Lagavulin 16... It will definitely be one of my next 3 or 4 bottles.

six2stack

UDFA
Name
Rich
I’ll be interested to see what you think. I had it about 5-6 years ago and I didn’t like it much, has Highland Park as a major ingredient I believe. Liked the bottle design though.
I really like it. According to their website, it's made from blending single malts from macallan, highland park, glenrothes and glenturret
It's aged in Sherry casks for the final 6 months. I probably like it because of the aging in Sherry casks. I prefer just a tad sweetness in my Whiskeys.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.

View attachment 46713

View attachment 46714

Lagavulin is one of my faves !

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
I’m late to this conversation, but my go to scotches are Islay. My special occasion scotches are Lag 16, and Ardbeg 10. But my everyday dram is a wacky Islay outlier called Finlaggan with a splash of water. From what I hear, Finlaggan can only be had at Trader Joe’s for $20 a pop (in California at least).

It’s a sourced single malt, a little young and wild, but still sweetish and smoky. People in the know speculate that Finlaggan is a young Lagavulin, but I don’t know. Either way, if you like the smoke, pick up a bottle of this stuff if you get a chance.

Here's a pic

20211104_114903.jpg

Last edited:

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Dude, I envy you.

I'm up to 75 bottles in my collection. Recent additions are:

-another bottle of Talisker 18 (seriously - greatest whisky on the planet),

-Arran Machrie Moor (peated Arran, its normally unpeated. Very tasty).

- independent bottling of Longmorn distilled in 2003 and bottled in 2019

- independent bottling of Tobermory which is 21 years old and was bottled exclusively for a whisky shop in Berlin

I have a problem.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Ah yeah pissed (we actually say pished) is scottish for drunk.

See also: smashed, battered, ko'd, hammered, fucked, melted...

We like to drink.
...and my favorite..."legless"!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m late to this conversation, but my go to scotches are Islay. My special occasion scotches are Lag 16, and Ardbeg 10. But my everyday dram is a wacky Islay outlier called Finlaggan with a splash of water. From what I hear, Finlaggan can only be had at Trader Joe’s for $20 a pop (in California at least).

It’s a sourced single malt, a little young and wild, but still sweetish and smoky. People in the know speculate that Finlaggan is a young Lagavulin, but I don’t know. Either way, if you like the smoke, pick up a bottle of this stuff if you get a chance.

Here's a pic

View attachment 49528
Only $20? WTF. Scotch is so expensive in PA

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Mitchers is a very good one. I'm a big fan of a couple others in the same price range like Redemption especially their wheated reserve or Calumet. Want to go a little pricier you can get some Blanton's. Last night I was enjoying some of that Redemption wheated actually.
Can never find Blantons in my market…have many friends that recommended it

As an everyday bottle, JW Black has been very enjoyable.

Last edited: