Rams talking to Austin Blythe about remaining with team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eric Kush got released from the Browns. He was pretty decent when we had him before and I like his name for personal reasons... lol

But what would you guys think of picking Eric Kush back up again?

Keep smoking that Kush & forget about it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Have never seen Shelton play, so hard to compare. Still think Blythe was playing hurt
and is a good backup G/C , but as a starting OG has been hard to watch.
Brian Allen was a guy I questioned from Feb. 2019 as stated on this thread.
-Still think letting Sullivan go was a mistake & he was always a value player. Without Sullivan The Rams would not be the team they have been under Sean Mcvay.

Hard to see what Brian Allen is as a player. Really could not stomach The Rams early knowing they were in trouble upfront. Noteboom never had any preseason snaps so whatever I thought could never verify it from his play.

Mcvay played scared & tried to hide from injury. It finally caught up to him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams OL'er David Edwards is ready to start
by Bret Stuter
1582133530365.png

Rams selected OT David Edwards with pick 169 of the 2019 NFL Draft, hoping for a backup. But he proved that he is ready to start in 2020.

The LA Rams entered the 2019 NFL Draft with a shopping list for NFL starters at offensive line, defensive back, and edge rusher. With no first-round pick, the most optimistic hopes would have settled for one starter from the draft class for 2019, and perhaps several special teams players who would compete for a starting role in the future. What the team found in round five of that draft would exceed those optimistic hopes. Offensive lineman David Edwards delivered in 2019 as a starter at right guard. For 2020, he’s ready for an even greater role on offense.

Offensive tackle David Edwards was not the highest-rated offensive lineman in the 2019 NFL Draft class. In fact, he was a middle-of-the-pack prospect. While many loved his size and run blocking, everyone pointed out that he was new to the offensive line. A quarterback-turned tight end-turned offensive tackle as a Wisconsin Badger made him a bit of an enigma to NFL scouts.

That did not stop the LA Rams from selecting him at the undervalued 169th pick in round five. Standing 6-foot-6 and weighing 308 pounds, Edwards was the ideal size for offensive line duties.

But scouts simply did not have enough to go on. His play was just raw athleticism, and many scouts dinged him repeatedly for poor technique. While some appreciated his athleticism in run blocking, he was cited again and again for poor technique and fundamentals in pass blocking. Most of the deficiencies were coachable corrections. The LA Rams, boasting an elite offensive line coach, did not shy away from the opportunity to add Edwards to the roster.
#Wisconsin OT David Edwards has been drafted by the LA Rams in the 5th round. If they ever need another QB, David’s got them covered… pic.twitter.com/utsTOEmLvo
— WKOW 27 (@WKOW) April 27, 2019
Clearly, the Rams saw Edwards as possessing starting potential, despite the lack of offensive line experience. And that faith was aptly rewarded in the first half of the 2019 season, as injury forded the Rams to promote him to a starting role. Edwards showed a great deal of intensity is his first start. He remained intense throughout the season.

Raw talent to a solid performer
When Edwards was drafted, the projection centered around a new raw talent for offensive line coach Aaron Kromer to coach up. But from the moment he was promoted to starting right guard for the Rams, things began to click for him. Surprisingly, the offensive tackle flourished as the Rams starting offensive guard for 10 games. He was promoted to left guard when Joseph Noteboom fell to injury and played well enough for the Rams veterans to notice.
“He played really, really big time for us,” – WR Robert Woods said via TheRams.com Stu Jackson</blockquote>
His role soon changed over to the right guard when the team landed guard Austin Corbett from the Cleveland Browns after center/guard Austin Blythe fell to injury. From that point, Edwards switched to right guard, where he remained through the end of the 2019 season.

Edwards was given the grand tour of offensive line roles in training camp when he arrived. His versatility and blank slate was the perfect blank slate needed for Coach Kromer to work his magic, and he definitely did just that. Getting quality starts out of any rookie is huge, but finding quality starts from a fifth-round rookie is hitting the lottery for an NFL team. All from a training camp where Edwards was exposed to almost all offensive line positions to “be ready for anything”.
1582134092369.png

Home is where the heart is
Edwards played the starting guard position with a lot of heart and passion. That is very impressive knowing that he didn’t have a formal slot on the team throughout his 2019 rookie training camp. In 2020? He has a home. He earned the starting role at right guard with better than expected play and enters the 2020 season training for one, and only one, position.

We had discussed his playing 62 percent of the offensive snaps in our review of the 2019 NFL Draft. Even more impressive is his rookie Pro Football Focus grade of 61.0. That may not be a Pro-Bowl ranking grade, but it’s awfully impressive for a player who spent the entirety of his first NFL training camp learning four offensive line positions. Imagine how well he can perform by focusing on just one position in this year’s training camp.

Offensive linemen typically make huge improvements from their rookie to sophomore season. That happens because they have formed the necessary relationships with teammates, and the second season is all about refining techniques to play at a higher level. With so much focus upon the LA Rams offensive line right now, there is almost no chance for the team to take another step backward.

The Rams may be looking for help on the offensive line, but they have already discovered their starting right guard for the foreseeable future. As such, Edwards’s upside for the 2020 NFL Season is huge, even in Edwards’s own words. Where will Edwards grade fall in 2020? I expect among the 69.0-73.5 range. That’s a solid NFL starter. The LA Rams offensive guard David Edwards is ready to start. The Rams, with so many needs elsewhere, are more than happy to give him every opportunity to do so.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Forget Noteboom for now. Most likely he'll start the season on the PUP list and won't be close to seeing the field til after the bye.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Forget Noteboom for now. Most likely he'll start the season on the PUP list and won't be close to seeing the field til after the bye.
I have posted the same & in full agreement.

IMO the best route to design the plan for {@ this time damaged} Noteboom in 2020 would be not to plan for him to be a starter @ any time this season. My position (@ this time) when the Rams Org. has its OL 2020 planing well afoot & under construction. Including & depending on Noteboom to be a factor IMO is a big gamble.

If I were the Rams I would prefer the Rams OL would not suffer any further negative issues than it already has {IF}, Noteboom #1- he experiences a relapse in that reconstructed knee. Or #2-he does not attain the needed lower half strength & power to be competitive or effective in his duties this season.

It would be best that Noteboom work & continue to rehab his damaged knee. In addition, work hard to increase past & current weaknesses (power & strength @ run blocking) clearly seen in his first season as a starter. If Noteboom does pull off & manage to complete the above needed requirements just before the mid season bye, he would be strong positive mid season addition into this current malingered weak OL unit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

It's questions like these where I feel our local media fail us, ... why no interviews with Noteboom and the how/what he's doing with his rehab & training ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Over reaction day is in full affect. We absolutely should resign Saffold and draft a mid round guy to develop and maybe even start next year. But Blythe was amazing all year no need to dump him after a bad game. They happen.

Should Blythe be resigned ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I love digging up old posts.

I think he should be resigned. I like the way he took charge at center. Maybe he is undersized, but compared to guard he doesn’t have as many one on one’s. A 2 year contract would be fitting. He was playing hurt, so I think that played a big factor in his play. He was sort of the glue.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think he should be resigned. I like the way he took charge at center. Maybe he is undersized, but compared to guard he doesn’t have as many one on one’s. A 2 year contract would be fitting. He was playing hurt, so I think that played a big factor in his play. He was sort of the glue.
So you are reasoning & in the pro position that UFA Blythe be resigned to be our starting OC? Or as the top swing interior OL'er?

What type of $$$ would you suggest be utilized to purchase his services & how long?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
This may have been mentioned earlier, but seems that the trade for Corbett last fall ends the Rams career for Blythe. Younger cheaper options for the OL is what the Rams are looking for with the salary cap issues they currently have.

Ram65

Legend
It's questions like these where I feel our local media fail us, ... why no interviews with Noteboom and the how/what he's doing with his rehab & training ?

I thought Sebrina did one with Boom. He did take time to strengthen his leg before the surgery or we assumed that is why he waited.

Should Blythe be resigned ?

That's where it will all start after resigning Whitworth. While I want to let him go his injuries hurt his play last year. He is a bit of an unknown coming back from injuries. There is a good chance he doesn't get any offers he likes and the Rams may sign him for cheap. He could be cheap competition at OC/OG and a decent backup. I don't see the Rams giving him a big offer but, we will see. If they do they that tells us they like him to start.

This may have been mentioned earlier, but seems that the trade for Corbett last fall ends the Rams career for Blythe. Younger cheaper options for the OL is what the Rams are looking for with the salary cap issues they currently have.

Corbett is definitely in the competition at both OG/OC. Somehow I think the Rams still like Allen at OC.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am in favor of adding in some veterans into this OL either as a starter or reserve.
"Rams current 2020 OL has only one signed aged OL'er in Havenstein. High probability Rams will go with 3 OL starters each having less than 10 gms worth of starts in 2019"......... Some aging is needed in starting OL'ers.

Not so sure that Austin Blythe will be elsewhere in 2020 but I lean generally to moving on from Blythe. There are some conditions where I would be in favor of Blythe returning.

"There is a 9er UFA that interests me. 32 yr old Ben Garland........."

"Blythe's truthful Resume should read like this - I can provide you (NFL team) veteran versatile RESERVE OL'er who has experience starting & playing all three interior post & even @ RT.".........

Here's PFF recent list of the top UFA 2020 centers. The Rams veteran starting center Austin Blythe is rated #13 out of the #14 known UFA centers. Just based on this one site's rating list of UFA OC's Austin Blythe might have a much harder time finding a big pay day long term contract based off his 6 NFL seasons collection of overall work. Point is he may get some advice from his agent to sign a reasonable low cost one year contract by the Rams to improve his chances of reaching a much better payday. What do you think?

Finally, this is one of my better posts on Blythe.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I thought Sebrina did one with Boom. He did take time to strengthen his leg before the surgery or we assumed that is why he waited.

Guess I missed it then, ... sure hope there is a follow up fairly soon. (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This article write up on the Rams 2019 back up center seems to fit here in the discussion on 2019 later half starting center Blythe.

LA Rams complete 2020 restricted free agent ranking
by Bret Stuter
Coleman Shelton OC/OG

C Coleman Shelton (ERFA) – As an exclusive free agent, Shelton will receive the minimum salary offer. He will not be able to negotiate with any other NFL teams.

Background – Coleman Shelton was a mid-season signing off the Arizona Cardinals practice squad to add depth to the offensive line in the midst of injuries.

Strengths – 6-foot-5 299 pound Coleman Shelton is an athletic interior offensive lineman. He is quick enough to lead sweeps and outside runs, but powerful enough to penetrate to secondary assignments on inside runs. The Rams have options to place either Austin Corbett or Brian Allen at the center. Shelton is healthier than Allen, and a more natural fit at center than Corbett.

Weaknesses – Of all of the LA Rams offensive line, Shelton is the one with the least experience. Arriving at the team mid-season, he never had the opportunity to train with his teammates. And singing on as added depth, he was the backup to the backup of a backup. Now, as the linemen return to health, coaches may overlook Shelton in their fervor to reacquaint themselves with more familiar players.

Team Impact – If given a chance, I expect he will earn significant playing time with the Rams in 2020. He is well-experienced at the center, affording the offense a much better rushing offense, as well as picking up interior blitzes.

Estimated market value – Even a backup center can command $3 million per season.
Projected team action – The LA Rams will likely sign him
Most likely team to sign him – Unless the Rams are penny wise and pound foolish, the LA Rams will sign him.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Posted by Josh Alper on March 5, 2020, 9:17 AM EST
The Rams have a couple of offensive linemen on track for free agency later this month and they’ve already expressed confidence that they’ll be able to hold onto left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

It is less clear if they’ll hold onto right guard Austin Blythe, but the team is making an effort. General Manager Les Snead said the team has had conversations with Blythe about returning.

“It is interesting. We’re in talks with Austin Blythe. We’ve got to get through the free agency and this is the time of year when a lot of things can change, just because there’s no guarantees.” Snead said on the Rams Revealed podcast.

Blythe has started 31 games over the last two seasons for the Rams. Bringing him and Whitworth back would keep the Rams offensive line intact for 2020.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Posted by Josh Alper on March 5, 2020, 9:17 AM EST
The Rams have a couple of offensive linemen on track for free agency later this month and they’ve already expressed confidence that they’ll be able to hold onto left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

It is less clear if they’ll hold onto right guard Austin Blythe, but the team is making an effort. General Manager Les Snead said the team has had conversations with Blythe about returning.

“It is interesting. We’re in talks with Austin Blythe. We’ve got to get through the free agency and this is the time of year when a lot of things can change, just because there’s no guarantees.” Snead said on the Rams Revealed podcast.

Blythe has started 31 games over the last two seasons for the Rams. Bringing him and Whitworth back would keep the Rams offensive line intact for 2020.

Blythe is a bigger asset than people give him credit for. He's not the greatest RG but he's a good to decent center. Him having the capabilities to start at all interior positions gives him value. I think the Rams move forward with him at the center position. Just depends on what his asking price is.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Blythe is a bigger asset than people give him credit for. He's not the greatest RG but he's a good to decent center. Him having the capabilities to start at all interior positions gives him value. I think the Rams move forward with him at the center position. Just depends on what his asking price is.

great for a backup. Not so good as a starter