Rams LT Andrew Whitworth expected to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Screenshot_20200117-003234.png
Interesting, guess there's no way to get one then.
Not with the money they have available. Unless you take on someone else's back up and project him as a starter, but few teams let a young prospect like that go.

Now RT's can be had, but a quality LT?

Look at the UFA list of LTs on Spotrac. Impressive!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
View attachment 33436
Not with the money they have available. Unless you take on someone else's back up and project him as a starter, but few teams let a young prospect like that go.

Now RT's can be had, but a quality LT?

Look at the UFA list of LTs on Spotrac. Impressive!
They absolutely can sigh Whit and they absolutely can draft a LT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure the Rams can do both.

Signing Whit looks to be easy to me (even though I would not do it) but the Rooster Les Snead will need to scratched up some additional salary cap funds by cutting veteran defensive starting players like Weddle & NRC. Those two will get Snead approx. $9.3 million inserted back into the present $23 million on those two cuts alone.

Drafting another LT with one of the first four selections(2nd-3rd-4th-& 4th) would be a very smart plan.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure the Rams can do both.

Signing Whit looks to be easy to me (even though I would not do it) but the Rooster Les Snead will need to scratched up some additional salary cap funds by cutting veteran defensive starting players like Weddle & NRC. Those two will get Snead approx. $9.3 million inserted back into the present $23 million on those two cuts alone.

Drafting another LT with one of the first four selections(2nd-3rd-4th-& 4th) would be a very smart plan.
Yeah I’ve seen way too many comments about what Les can’t do and he’s bad and McVay needs to press for change. Some have forgotten we have a beast of a GM.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Was not talking about Whit. If he takes below market value like Weddle, then I expect that to happen.

I am saying you are not going outside to get someone new via FA.

And even with him, you are getting a short-term bandaid. You ate nit going to fix LT via FA for the long-term or even intermediate term like with Whitworth 3 yrs ago. Those type guys are too expensive even if they become available.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what you said initially. Yes you said outside of Whit but he doesn't even have to come in super cheap.

However, you will not get a starting caliber LT in FA or the draft.

We have by most accounts the long term solution at LT in Joe Noteboom. He was drafted, where you said we couldn't get a LT.
Was not talking about Whit. If he takes below market value like Weddle, then I expect that to happen.

And even with him, you are getting a short-term bandaid. You ate nit going to fix LT via FA for the long-term or even intermediate term like with Whitworth 3 yrs ago. Those type guys are too expensive even if they become available.

I'm really confused what you're trying to get with this hear. You say we can get a LT in free agency right after we did that with Whitworth for three years. You can't get a LT in the draft either but free agency and the draft are 2 of the 3 ways to get players. Yet you also imply those guys are to valuable and teams won't trade one. Are you implying we'll never again have a starting caliber LT after Whit? I'm really confused where you're going with this.

We can draft a LT, we might have that in Noteboom and we can draft one again this year if needed, in case we don't think Boom will be healthy or if they don't think he's the answer.

We can sign a free agent though I don't know that there are any out there worth it other than Whit. Sure he's not a long term solution but is that a horrible thing? We always say in the offseason you can't fix everything. A bandaid of Whit until Boom or even Edwards takes over isn't a bad thing.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Here's what you said initially. Yes you said outside of Whit but he doesn't even have to come in super cheap.

We have by most accounts the long term solution at LT in Joe Noteboom. He was drafted, where you said we couldn't get a LT.

I'm really confused what you're trying to get with this hear. You say we can get a LT in free agency right after we did that with Whitworth for three years. You can't get a LT in the draft either but free agency and the draft are 2 of the 3 ways to get players. Yet you also imply those guys are to valuable and teams won't trade one. Are you implying we'll never again have a starting caliber LT after Whit? I'm really confused where you're going with this.

We can draft a LT, we might have that in Noteboom and we can draft one again this year if needed, in case we don't think Boom will be healthy or if they don't think he's the answer.

We can sign a free agent though I don't know that there are any out there worth it other than Whit. Sure he's not a long term solution but is that a horrible thing? We always say in the offseason you can't fix everything. A bandaid of Whit until Boom or even Edwards takes over isn't a bad thing.

Did Noteboom start as a rookie?

No.

They need a LT this coming season.

I am all for developing the kids. Look at my past posts. I have continually pointed out that they have pieces that can develop into a good young line. You can't keep drafting rookies and hope they are upgrades over what you have.

So my point is you are not going to go out and uograde LT via FA or the draft for the 2020 season.

That is all I am saying.

I am all for keeping Whit for one more yr and then Noteboom eventually takes over, maybe by mid-season in 2020. However, this is his 3rd season, so don't compare him to getting a rookie this yr who can step in and start and be solid from day one.

I am sorry, but I don't get why this logic is so tough to digest.

My only exception is I do want them to draft a C with size that hopefully can challenge by mid season to start, but that is likely wishful thinking.

So no issues, just wanting to be clear on what I am saying.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Also remember that Evans was cross trained, so he moved all over the place in preseason and camp. Then sat for ten games until thrown in at RT. So he did fine.

The Eagles were criticized for not cross training Dillard. He only played LT, so when RT Lane Johnson went down they did not play Dillard because he never played there.

So again Evans did well considering everything he was asked to do.

Yep , agree it takes young offensive lineman to produce.That is why I am so excited to watch these young RAMS Develop.

My take is The Rams need a stud up front on defense. If Allen didn’t even get into a preseason game & got jacked back in games ?? What does that say about The Rams defensive front, when he is holding his own in practice??

Whitworth is a true Ram & to me will be maybe a HOF Ram ??? These guy his last game showed me a lot about his chart. He is a fighter & lives the game.

Austin Blythe as much as I didn’t like him at RG, I like him that much more at center. If he was playing so hurt for Kromer, I can’t see The Rams showing him love to continue to be a Ram.

The Rams don’t have many draft picks. I’m still thinking Gurley might be out the door ?? The Rams no matter what need another playmaker. Mike Thomas was on the roster so an upgrade on the roster has to happen there. A new PR/KR/ postion player ??

Anyway I like the way the Young Ram OL came through in the end & Greg the Leg F’d the season up !!!
The Rams will get a new Kicker

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
What I really want to see.
.............A solid vet C. I dont know who, but we have to try.
Myself as well.
That's why I'm thinking Blythe.
He's not spectacular but he's solid, particularly in pass blocking.
I can't remember him being penalized at Center.
He knows the offense.
He doesn't seem injury-prone.
He plays fairly mistake-free football.
Good locker room guy and a professional.
The Rams know what they have in him and we know he's happy here.

I know I sound like his agent at this point but I think it would be a good move to re-sign him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

True that we are not gonna find our LT of the future in FA. Also true that Whit is a short term answer at best.

Quality of this FA line class is at OG. So that is where a FA answer will most likely come from. It will be one less question mark for a unit that has a lot of them.

Edwards, Evans, and a FA addition will be the certain futures pieces and core of our 2020 OL.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Myself as well.
He knows the offense.

I know I sound like his agent at this point but I think it would be a good move to re-sign him.

Agree. A tested starter/high quality backup we need to hold onto, while doing what it takes to add better pieces.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
True that we are not gonna find our LT of the future in FA. Also true that Whit is a short term answer at best.

Quality of this FA line class is at OG. So that is where a FA answer will most likely come from. It will be one less question mark for a unit that has a lot of them.

Edwards, Evans, and a FA addition will be the certain futures pieces and core of our 2020 OL.
I would hate to pay big money for an OG when they have so many young prospects at that position.

Also, if you don't like these guys, you can normally draft a top OG prospect in rounds 3/4 and this yr there are some big dudes listed in rounds 3 & 4 that fit our need to add more size.

So the idea of adding a FA OG makes no sense to me.

Would rather pay a vet center since our C depth chart is less than impressive.

And reality is I only see them adding one decent sized FA contract and that should come at DT/ 5T DE.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would hate to pay big money for an OG when they have so many young prospects at that position
I think we as fans have a tendency to overvalue our prospects. The FA addition will help settle things down and even after that we still require some young players to make strides in order to have a good line.

2020 brings a new stadium and a season where we need to knock off a division rival who has a loaded defensive front. They are going to fix the OL so that our skill position players have a chance to do that IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agree. A tested starter/high quality backup we need to hold onto, while doing what it takes to add better pieces.
I would hate to be Snead realizing he will have to go shopping for "tested starter/high quality backup". from the list of current UFA's.

Seriously I might rethink heavy on Austin Blythe (AB). I know AB
failed over 2 seasons as our starting RG. I also know his starts @ center as the back up to Allen was also not to be desired. However taking that into consideration....AB is already set up in LA.

#1- AB is a well known commodity by the Rams coaches & he knows this offense inside & out!

#2- AB is well liked by his other OL cadre by numerous comments reported on by his teammates.

#3- AB has a good history with the Colts & Rams when AB held the OL position as reserve.

#4- AB was injured very early (gm.#2) ankle/knee combo & missed 1 1/2 gms. AB's back up Jamil Demby who filled in for him was a total disaster & might have caused the ill-advised early return & from what I can read into this ankle injury & in hind site is AB should have taken much more time off from starting wk #4 & spent many more weeks being involved in a rehabbing event.:oops:

#5- In addition to endeavor to persevere due to that injured ankle all season AB just undergone both shoulder surgeryo_O.

The only issue that Snead will have with the resigning of AB is it will have direct effect on his efforts & activities to optimize to secure the Rams future 2021 Compensatory Draft Pick Awards (CDPA).

If I were Snead I might save myself some serious amount of time if he considered offering UFA Austin Blythe a contract to fill LARAMSinFeb. desires.....AB is a veteran starting interior OL'er with 37 starts @ RG/OC/RT/LG. AB has played in 59 NFL gms. AB has two seasons under his resume as a high quality back up too.;)

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think we as fans have a tendency to overvalue our prospects. The FA addition will help settle things down and even after that we still require some young players to make strides in order to have a good line.

2020 brings a new stadium and a season where we need to knock off a division rival who has a loaded defensive front. They are going to fix the OL so that our skill position players have a chance to do that IMO.
Well, in varying degrees they developed a lot of homegrown guys or young players picked off of waivers, like John Johnson, Corey Littleton, Troy Hill, Darious Williams, Morgan Fox, SJD, Josh Reynolds, Everett, Higbee, Ebukam, Havenstein, and even Saffold.

None were first round picks or were stars from day one like Donald, Gurley, or Kupp, but these guys developed into contributors as either stars or role players. Role players who maxed out from just being street FA's or late picks.

Point is you can't just draft over a recent pick unless you know the guy doesn't have it. The system doesn't afford that with the cap and teams just are not deep everywhere. Thus you have to fill other areas where you are aging or ready to lose players to FA, etc..

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously I might rethink heavy on Austin Blythe (AB). I know AB failed over 2 seasons as our starting RG.
That would be settling. I don't think McVay has any intention of settling.

The center position in FA doesn't offer us a whole lot of options. That includes Blythe. This is why OG makes a lot of sense in FA.

Then you have competition at the pivot with a drafted center, Allen, and Corbett and whoever wins is the guy.

The key in all this is Whit's cost. Because as a short term answer you can't prioritize him over an interior addition who raises the talent level of the unit.

Ram65

Legend
Myself as well.
He knows the offense.

Blythe is far from the answer at OC. He got blown back and missed blocks regularly. Depending on his free agency interest and contract I would only consider him as a backup OC/OG. He is a weak link.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Blythe is far from the answer at OC. He got blown back and missed blocks regularly. Depending on his free agency interest and contract I would only consider him as a backup OC/OG. He is a weak link.
I agree that Blythe is NOT the answer for our starter issues ongoing @ center. But might he be an appropriate candidate to fill the need to have a veteran back up/reserve interior OL'er to blend in with our very inexperienced OL back-ups?
That would be settling. I don't think McVay has any intention of settling.

The center position in FA doesn't offer us a whole lot of options. That includes Blythe. This is why OG makes a lot of sense in FA.

Then you have competition at the pivot with a drafted center, Allen, and Corbett and whoever wins is the guy.

The key in all this is Whit's cost. Because as a short term answer you can't prioritize him over an interior addition who raises the talent level of the unit.
If McVay has forbid "Settling" then he would certainly write off Andrew Whitworth then too.

The Rams do have FIVE options presently @ center for consideration as prospects in 2020:

Austin Corbett 24/3 6-4/306 2nd rd pick
Brian Allen 25/3 6-1/303 4th rd pick
Coleman Shelton 25/2 6-5/300 UDFA
Jeremiah Kolone 25/1 6-3/316 UDFA
Nate Trewyn 24/1 6-4/315 UDFA

I might need to stress that my post on considering Blythe was not as a starter @ center or OG but to be one of the OL'ers to take up the veteran RESERVE position which would be usually the #7-#8 or #9 that the Rams will need in 2020.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would hate to be Snead realizing he will have to go shopping for "tested starter/high quality backup". from the list of current UFA's.

Seriously I might rethink heavy on Austin Blythe (AB). I know AB
failed over 2 seasons as our starting RG. I also know his starts @ center as the back up to Allen was also not to be desired. However taking that into consideration....AB is already set up in LA.

#1- AB is a well known commodity by the Rams coaches & he knows this offense inside & out!

#2- AB is well liked by his other OL cadre by numerous comments reported on by his teammates.

#3- AB has a good history with the Colts & Rams when AB held the OL position as reserve.

#4- AB was injured very early (gm.#2) ankle/knee combo & missed 1 1/2 gms. AB's back up Jamil Demby who filled in for him was a total disaster & might have caused the ill-advised early return & from what I can read into this ankle injury & in hind site is AB should have taken much more time off from starting wk #4 & spent many more weeks being involved in a rehabbing event.:oops:

#5- In addition to endeavor to persevere due to that injured ankle all season AB just undergone both shoulder surgeryo_O.

The only issue that Snead will have with the resigning of AB is it will have direct effect on his efforts & activities to optimize to secure the Rams future 2021 Compensatory Draft Pick Awards (CDPA).

If I were Snead I might save myself some serious amount of time if he considered offering UFA Austin Blythe a contract to fill LARAMSinFeb. desires.....AB is a veteran starting interior OL'er with 37 starts @ RG/OC/RT/LG. AB has played in 59 NFL gms. AB has two seasons under his resume as a high quality back up too.;)
I would be open to bringing him back and drafting a C, unless they really think this D3 kid has a shot to be a player. Allen is also in the mix, not ready to write him off, but I would hope they want more size at the position.

Likely Allen becomes the spot starter/ vet back up and they bring in a kid to compete for the starting position at some point.