Rams Running Back Options?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Guys (Mojo and Jrry in particular),

I think we can all agree that rushing TD's typically result in a combination of scheme and OL execution. To Mojo's point, it can be beneficial to have a larger RB (220+) that is capable of hammering it in from short distance. But to Jrry's point, there are numerous players over the past few years that have been in the top 10 in rushing TD's that few would describe as "power backs." McCaffrey, Kamara, Cook, Lindsay, Jones, Connor, and Gordon come to mind off the top of my head.

I am honestly of the belief our OL was worse for much of the season that we as fans even believe. I think McVay adjusted and got the ball out quicker to help compensate. Even the running plays were often intended to simplify assignments and put our OL in a position to simply manage. We can argue/discuss the personnel decisions (Allen at C, Demby, Noteboom's early performance, etc.) until we are blue in the face, but the bottom line is an OC can't do much without a decent OL.

McVay relies on deception and an OL to execute for it to be effective. The Titans, as Jrry's example, or even the Pats (who "tell" by virtue of their RB) also rely on an effective OL to execute, their scheme is simply very different than McVay's. In the end, it will always come down to scheme and OL execution. McVay utilized many of the same principles last year (a downer) as he did the year prior. The OL just sucked and almost all of the "playmakers" production did as well as a direct result.

I am just not "down" on our offensive capabilities as many of the posters on here are. In fact, IF our OL (and center position in particular) can get it together (and I believe they have the talent to do it), I think we will see the "old" Cooks, Woods and Kupp being effective/what we've come to expect, and our RB's with room to run. What has me really excited is I also forecast McVay continuing to utilize Higbee as a weapon; something we didn't have during our SB run. I'm jacked.

If we can avoid "tells" and our OL executes, I honestly don't think the weight/power of the RB will make much of a difference.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
See, i think the big picture "tell" has been the Rams lining up in 11 personnel play action and continuing to try to disguise the playbook in that way. It was extremely effective in '17 and most of '18 but defenses caught on.

I'm not saying they need to scrap everything mind you, but the Rams offense needs some new concepts that involves different formations(which will also help the pass game), varied run blocking schemes and RB's who bring different strengths to the table. We also don't have an all purpose guy in the backfield who can be the launching point of the offense like Gurley was when things were rolling.

Defenses need something to look at they haven't seen and they've seen the 11 personnel play action enough to make a pretty damn talented group of offensive talent look very mediocre in 2019.

McV has a lot of work to do in his lab. IMO it's a year late.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams activate three running backs on game day. I don't see a problem with one being a power back. Guley had a unique ability to use his legs/hips to stand up in a pile and drive that little extra to get into the endzone. I haven't seen enough of Henderson to say he can do that. Considering the offensive line has lacked the power I would feel better with a power (full) running back. I don't see tipping your hand by playing a power running back in short-yardage either. Goff can still throw the football. How many times on 3th and short/4th and short did the Rams get stopped? All too often. McVay has to mix those calls up more.

As far as McVay changing this up from the 11P I would like to see other formations more often. If it gives defenses more to think about the better. With the current personnel, McVay will till a lot more to 11P.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I don't get the love for CJ Anderson.

Not one team picked him up last year after he was cut by the Lions week 2.

Very short-lived with us, but he came in off the sofa and gave us fresh hope.
He played hard.
Great one-two with Gurley.
However, i don't know if he's the answer right now.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
See, i think the big picture "tell" has been the Rams lining up in 11 personnel play action and continuing to try to disguise the playbook in that way. It was extremely effective in '17 and most of '18 but defenses caught on.

This.^

If for no other reason, McVay should mix up personnel groupings more just to keep teams guessing. He can still do different things out of 11 personnel, but if he mixes up his groupings more, and combines that with some different wrinkles, opposing D's are going to have to start thinking about it more and that could add more deception to our attack. Would love to see either Mundt develop into a quality receiving TE (he's a good blocker already) or Everett develop into a better blocking TE with more reliable hands.

More 12 personnel looks with Higbee and another versatile TE would give the offense different options and force defenses to react to that. Furthermore, there are probably a fair number of plays that can be run out of both 11 and 12 personnel, but the fact that the offense gives a different look for those plays keeps a defense guessing. I remember the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl (after the 1991 season), I read an article stating they had only handful of running plays but ran them out of so many different looks/personnel groupings that defenses were never able to catch on. McVay is more than creative enough to do the same thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This.^

If for no other reason, McVay should mix up personnel groupings more just to keep teams guessing. He can still do different things out of 11 personnel, but if he mixes up his groupings more, and combines that with some different wrinkles, opposing D's are going to have to start thinking about it more and that could add more deception to our attack. Would love to see either Mundt develop into a quality receiving TE (he's a good blocker already) or Everett develop into a better blocking TE with more reliable hands.

More 12 personnel looks with Higbee and another versatile TE would give the offense different options and force defenses to react to that. Furthermore, there are probably a fair number of plays that can be run out of both 11 and 12 personnel, but the fact that the offense gives a different look for those plays keeps a defense guessing. I remember the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl (after the 1991 season), I read an article stating they had only handful of running plays but ran them out of so many different looks/personnel groupings that defenses were never able to catch on. McVay is more than creative enough to do the same thing.

I think the question people need to ask themselves is: Will having that extra TE on the field do more for the offense than Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, or Brandin Cooks? If the OL isn't playing at a high level, that extra TE just well might. If it is, I'd say he probably won't.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I keep saying the Rams go as far as the oline takes them. We have a ton of skill players but if Goff doesn't have time to throw to them or gets pushed his spot that is problem.

Same can be said for and RB that comes via FA or the draft. Someone earlier had a chart if amount of yards before first contact and the Rams were in the bottom 4. That means the line sucked. It is EASIER to run through wide open lanes created by a strong line than a sliver of a crack.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Why not both? (Scheme + an OL)

I really hope McVay is cooking up something revolutionary that will take another couple years for Ds to figure out. I also really really hope, while I see potential/depth in what we have, the Rams still plan to acquire some serious run-blocking talent up front--1 major addition would make a big difference.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like their Center, Tyler Biadasz, a lot in the third round. I'm a big fan of Robert Hunt out of Louisiana as a guard. Those are the two guys who excite me the most on Day 2. But Cesar Ruiz, Lloyd Cushenberry, and Matt Hennessy are also quality players. I know some are very high on John Simpson out of Clemson too, but I haven't had time to evaluate him yet.
The Centers have been an interesting group to watch. When I started out I had them stacked a little differently than I do now. I think my favorite of the bunch now is Hennessy. His upside isn't as big as Ruiz & Cushenberry (who will go before him), but he's that prospect of the group that the more I watched of his film the more I like him.

IMO that 52 range is the window for a developmental LT if one they like makes it there, and round 3 looks good for Center. But I like Hennessy to the point where if there isn't an OT they like at 52 then I would strongly consider dropping a bit and taking him. I am convinced he will be very successful in the NFL especially in a heavy zone scheme like ours.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Centers have been an interesting group to watch. When I started out I had them stacked a little differently than I do now. I think my favorite of the bunch now is Hennessy. His upside isn't as big as Ruiz & Cushenberry (who will go before him), but he's that prospect of the group that the more I watched of his film the more I like him.

IMO that 52 range is the window for a developmental LT if one they like makes it there, and round 3 looks good for Center. But I like Hennessy to the point where if there isn't an OT they like at 52 then I would strongly consider dropping a bit and taking him. I am convinced he will be very successful in the NFL especially in a heavy zone scheme like ours.

FWIW, Hennessy is my #2 ranked Center, above Ruiz and Cushenberry.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
They won't let Lindsay go so it could be Freeman.

Royce Freeman would be a great pick up. Big back. Good at short yardage. Blocks well in the passing game and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He would be a great pick up.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Why not both? (Scheme + an OL)

I really hope McVay is cooking up something revolutionary that will take another couple years for Ds to figure out. I also really really hope, while I see potential/depth in what we have, the Rams still plan to acquire some serious run-blocking talent up front--1 major addition would make a big difference.
Truth, I hope that they continue to invest in competitive upgrades across on the offensive line, but we all know that alone is a recipe for failure.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I know he is not the answer right now.
Right, we bring up Anderson as an example of a power back that saw success in McVay’s system. They did improve running up the middle, and we could certainly improve even more. There’s nothing at all wrong with having a third back who has a greater chance of capitalizing on those plays.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right, we bring up Anderson as an example of a power back that saw success in McVay’s system. They did improve running up the middle, and we could certainly improve even more. There’s nothing at all wrong with having a third back who has a greater chance of capitalizing on those plays.
A good inside zone or power game sure would back teams off on that 6-1 horseshit. (y)