Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a big difference.
Which is why the answer is none.
The youngest or inexperienced guys in history are 3-4 years older than McVay. So he drops well below the spectrum of the extreme
But I get it, this is where it's an age arguement for you.
I'm not going to repeat my stance so I'm done here.
This HC is extremely important and the wrong hire can set the team back a decade. Again.
I find the risk way to high here

It's not a big difference. You're drawing an arbitrary line in the sand. Go ahead and explain the benefits of being 34 years old instead of 31 years old. Now, explain why three years as a low-level college coach makes such a huge difference.

Because what McVay "lacks" is the three years of being a low-level college coach.

This is an age argument because I think it's silly to draw arbitrary lines and write guys off based on nothing. If McVay is already being considered for jobs, that must make him pretty damn special. It's not me or @TheDYVKX recommending McVay for the job. It's the Rams and other teams choosing to interview McVay.

Yes, the wrong hire can set this team back. But our last three coaches were 49 years old (Spagnuolo), 53 years old (Fisher), and 45 years old (Linehan) when hired. Hiring older coaches hasn't done us any favors.

Simply put, hiring a coach is always a risk. You're not protecting yourself by hiring a 50-year old coach instead of a 31-year old coach. Hire the best guy for the job, regardless of age.

I'm not attached to McVay. I'm not even advocating for him. I am advocating against crossing him off the list because of his age. There's a reason he's on the list in the first place.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interested to see how these go. Lynn has gotten a lot of attention from teams, he must be pretty impressive.

He makes sense. Incredible position coach. Did great work when promoted to OC this year. Former NFL player. Coached under Mike Shanahan and Bill Parcells. Has respect from a ton of coaches around the league.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He makes sense. Incredible position coach. Did great work when promoted to OC this year. Former NFL player. Coached under Mike Shanahan and Bill Parcells. Has respect from a ton of coaches around the league.

Definitely has a very impressive resume. If he has a great interview too, he might be a slam dunk type guy. Interesting that he never got a chance to OC before this.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ok and I'll lean on the history of the NFL that agrees with me.
Damn right. Defense wins championships. Oops wrong thread. Exiting thread. Sorry.
200.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and that's not mcvay's offense it's gruden's.
typical demoff nonsense.
another wasted season.
we need to get rid of demoff first.

McVay took over the playcalling duties in 2015. If we were to employ your logic, teams would never hire an OC who worked under an offensive-minded HC.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't understand some writers now a days. This one article on google said we interviewed Shannahan . What a joke.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had a reply written up but I deleted it because I don't see the value in continuing the conversation. You're clearly against him and nobody is changing their mind here. Enjoy your night.
I can promise you that if he is named as HC of the Rams, I would be behind him 100%

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't understand some writers now a days. This one article on google said we interviewed Shannahan . What a joke.

Come on you know better than that, there are articles on Google that states the South won the civil war.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's a clip of McVay. Very well spoken. I can see why people would be excited about him as an up and comer, puts in the work, etc.

But; boy is he young! Does he have the experience to do this? Does he have the ability to recruit top assistants? All legit concerns.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here's a clip of McVay. Very well spoken. I can see why people would be excited about him as an up and comer, puts in the work, etc.

But; boy is he young! Does he have the experience to do this? Does he have the ability to recruit top assistants? All legit concerns.

Okay last game of the year at home everything on the line and the Redskin offense puts up 10 points, let's not forget that as Giant DC Steve Spagnuolo taught the kid a lesson. Again the Redskin offense was very good throughout the year, but the reason they did not get to post season was because the offense under performed at home against a division rival.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
8806552-kirk-cousins-nfl-miami-dolphins-washington-redskins-850x560.jpg

McVay emerging as the favorite for Rams job

Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay is getting a real close look from the Los Angeles Rams.

As the Los Angeles Rams continue their search for a new head coach, Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay is getting a closer look.

McVay was interviewed by the Rams on Thursday, and according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the Rams are “spending a lot of time doing their homework” on McVay:

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Rams are spending a lot of time doing their homework on Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay. The 30-year-old has generated plenty of buzz, and his work with Kirk Cousins apparently has prompted folks in L.A. to believe that McVay could get the most out of 2016 No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff.

While there is no definitive proof that McVay is the favorite for the position just yet, the notion that the team is taking a closer look at the 30-year-old offensive coordinator means he is at least emerging from the pack.

McVay has indeed done a great job with Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, as Washington’s offense sported the No. 2 passing attack in the NFL this season in terms of yards per game. Furthermore, Cousins was third among quarterbacks in passing yards.

The hope is that McVay can work his magic with former No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff, who didn’t do much to breed hope at the end of the 2016 season.

The Rams have plenty more candidates to talk to in the coming weeks, but this is the first time we’ve heard one candidate stand out in the team’s head coach search.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Another aspect of the head coach search is...... Will that guy generate more (or less...) interest from certain needed Free Agents. Sounds like McVay could be instrumental in bringing in a Garcon in or would a McDaniels want to bring in New England cast offs because they understand the verbage. I think in this day and age of "Friends of _______ ________" this needs to be considered. Shanahan might bring the old man along, but is there players who would travel forward w/ him to help him be successful. Would Anthony Lynn want to bring his QB w/ him from Buffalo? Would Goodwin want to bring some of the Cardinals this way. It's a very complex puzzle and this particular thought line is only one small aspect of the search. That our front office is also trying to bank on a big splash w/ the hire to impress the jaded Southern Cal folks kind of scares me much more than a coaches age.

But those are my thoughts this morning.