Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Rams are spending a lot of time doing their homework on Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay. The 30-year-old has generated plenty of buzz, and his work with Kirk Cousins apparently has prompted folks in L.A. to believe that McVay could get the most out of 2016 No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff.

Prediction: he won't get out of that interview with SF without being hired.

I am afraid the Rams and their wide net, and their possible approach of waiting until next weekend to interview Shanahan, is going to cost them this guy. He is a SF family-backed option and meets all the criteria. Tellin you right now if the Rams want him they'd better up the ante before that meeting on Monday. IMO.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and re: Doug Marrone...

His annual wins in Syracuse were 4 in 2009, 8 in 2010, 5 in 2011, and 8 in 2012. Overall record with the Bills was 15-17.

Dude is Just A Guy. If the Rams hire him, they are fools and I am going to take a long break from this BS. Not even kidding.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Not so sure about that, teams are interviewing others and teams want to do their due dilligence before they quickly just hire a coach. This is not like free agency teams take their time. Now if McVay is their last interview, then that could happen, but I'm sure they have more they would like to interview.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

His annual wins in Syracuse were 4 in 2009, 8 in 2010, 5 in 2011, and 8 in 2012. Overall record with the Bills was 15-17.

Dude is Just A Guy. If the Rams hire him, they are fools and I am going to take a long break from this BS. Not even kidding.

The other reason teams interview coaches is fact finding. Marrone is an OL Coach and the Rams have had issues on the offensive line, they can interview Marrone and he can inform them on how he would improve the OL. Also it sets up a possible staff addition and BTW Marrone did a nice job at Syracuse, it was a mess and had two winning seasons.

I don't think he's a Head Coach either, but that record at Syracuse is skewed, he took over for Greg Robinson whose overall record was 5-37 so you can understand the upgrade Marrone was.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other reason teams interview coaches is fact finding. Marrone is an OL Coach and the Rams have had issues on the offensive line, they can interview Marrone and he can inform them on how he would improve the OL. Also it sets up a possible staff addition and BTW Marrone did a nice job at Syracuse, it was a mess and had two winning seasons.

I don't think he's a Head Coach either, but that record at Syracuse is skewed, he took over for Greg Robinson whose overall record was 5-37 so you can understand the upgrade Marrone was.

The dip in 2011 concerns me. I just don't think the dude is special. This team does not need another average HC. And re: the OL coach, they're out there and you can get them from college as well. In fact just saw this tweet this am:

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/818139736174981121

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Cal fires HC Sonny Dykes

He could be in play for the Rams as QB Coach.

Strange firing? I mean Dykes lost his All American quarterback to the NFL and he still managed to win 5 games.

Did the Athletic Director expect the team to actually win as many or more games then they did in 2015?

Only 2 more losses compared to 2015 without his All American quarterback. A little bit strange or maybe a decision by the AD to scrap the Bear Raid offense?

2015 W8 L5
2016 W5 L7

Very doubtful Dykes would ever be in play for the Rams QB coach position without any recent experience teaching a Pro Style offense.

I could be off base but I don't see the fit on the surface. Goff is still learning to scrap the "RPO" habits and like Gruden said about the RPO scheme, a Ridiculous Protection Offense.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Strange firing? I mean Dykes lost his All American quarterback to the NFL and he still managed to win 5 games.

IMO, they were not comfortable with Dykes always looking for his next job, so the beat him to the punch. I can understand Bears did the same thing to Ron Rivera back in 2006, they were tired of him constantly looking for a Head Coaching job so the let him go and on to San Diego he went, where he was there for four years before he was hired by the Panthers in 2011.

Zero

Pro Bowler

I am afraid the Rams and their wide net, and their possible approach of waiting until next weekend to interview Shanahan, is going to cost them this guy. He is a SF family-backed option and meets all the criteria. Tellin you right now if the Rams want him they'd better up the ante before that meeting on Monday. IMO.
We had better not fuck this up.We have to wait until next weekend to interview Shanahan.
Complete freakin BS that they didn't anticipate the weather.

Zero

Pro Bowler

+1

Zero

Pro Bowler
@Merlin @den-the-coach

Alright gentlemen,

What do we do ?Do we risk losing McVay by waiting
a week to interview Shanahan?Or if we are thoroughly impressed with
McVay do we pull the trigger now? I am with on BS snowed in crap, Coach.Uncalled for.
I am hoping McVay wants to steer clear of train wreck in SF.Your thoughts?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am hoping McVay wants to steer clear of train wreck in SF.Your thoughts?

Wait to interview Shanahan and not sure the 49ers will move that quickly because they want to hire a GM too and maybe in conjunction with their Head Coach.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...g-name-candidates-in-head-coach-search-010717

"The Rams already have interviewed Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, Arizona offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay, and Carolina assistant head coach Steve Wilks. They plan to speak with New England coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia this weekend, along with Buffalo interim coach Anthony Lynn and other candidates."
***************************************************************************************************
WTF?Am i missing something or is he that bad at his job?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...g-name-candidates-in-head-coach-search-010717

"The Rams already have interviewed Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, Arizona offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay, and Carolina assistant head coach Steve Wilks. They plan to speak with New England coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia this weekend, along with Buffalo interim coach Anthony Lynn and other candidates."
***************************************************************************************************
WTF?Am i missing something or is he that bad at his job?

Whoever wrote that is wrong.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do we do ?Do we risk losing McVay by waiting
a week to interview Shanahan?Or if we are thoroughly impressed with
McVay do we pull the trigger now?

I would move on and chalk the entire thing up as it wasn't in the cards for us with Shanny. Only thing that would prevent me from doing that would be all of the rest of the options having poor interviews, but I doubt that is the case.

McVay would be my guy and I'd give him that head start on building his staff and also bring in a complementary GM. But what do I know. Usually the Rams don't do what I want them to, so we'll see.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Wait to interview Shanahan and not sure the 49ers will move that quickly because they want to hire a GM too and maybe in conjunction with their Head Coach.
Who is interviewing the coaches at the moment anyway in, whinerville? The knucklehead son of the owner?

Zero

Pro Bowler
I would move on and chalk the entire thing up as it wasn't in the cards for us with Shanny. Only thing that would prevent me from doing that would be all of the rest of the options having poor interviews, but I doubt that is the case.

McVay would be my guy and I'd give him that head start on building his staff and also bring in a complementary GM. But what do I know. Usually the Rams don't do what I want them to, so we'll see.
Agree.I heard McVay has been putting on some hellacious interviews.
Do Not want to lose out on him.