Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What if that's this was the day that Shanny picked? He has very important crap going on, like game planning for the playoffs.

Okay, true, but other teams were able to interview him. Maybe the Rams wanted to be last, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
and that's not mcvay's offense it's gruden's.
typical demoff nonsense.
another wasted season.
we need to get rid of demoff first.

I guarantee you McVay's offense will have a lot in common with Gruden's. Just like Kyle Shanahan's offense and Gary Kubiak's offense have a lot in common with each other. They're all derived from a singular offense (in my example, Mike Shanahan) and they all make tweaks on what they like to do offensively. McVay's offense in particular would be derived from Gruden's version with his own wrinkles added in, and a lot of those wrinkles he's already taken the liberty to add in with his power as the OC. Maybe he takes bits from Callahan and bits from Shanahan. But overall he's running an offense that he'd mostly use.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought I went over this. He doesn't really have any less experience than a lot of guys much older..

If experience is so much more important than having literally every single trait needed to be a head coach, we might as well bring Jeff Fisher back.
He has significantly less experience. You choose to discard college experience, which is ridiculous.
It's cool. He only needed to be in coaching for 6-7 years to be ready when it took bill belichick 20 years. Awesome

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course you are saying that.
He would be the youngest coach ever. As in the history of the NFL. And it's by a pretty wide margin I've rthe next "young gun" who was hired in the last 20 years or so.
Lane Kiffin, Raheem Morris, David Shula and Josh Mcdaniels. All abysmal failure that were over their head.
You can't learn experience.

But see Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden, Adam Gase, Bill Cowher, etc.

Not his age just his lack of experience

Mike Tomlin didn't have a lot of experience either.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He has significantly less experience. You choose to discard college experience, which is ridiculous.
It's cool. He only needed to be in coaching for 6-7 years to be ready when it took bill belichick 20 years. Awesome

When a coach gets their shot and when they are ready are two entirely different things. Belichick could have been a great HC 10 years earlier, we just don't know. Maybe he didn't start ascending until he met Parcells, but nobody was willing to give him a shot outside the organization. You can't make it so black and white.

It's not so simple as "Let's give him 15 years and he's good to go"

And I don't discount college experience. But Gase's one year as a Graduate Assistant at LSU isn't very meaningful experience in the grand scheme of things. Lane Kiffin's entire college career doesn't prepare him for a completely different game in the NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But see Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden, Adam Gase, Bill Cowher, etc.

Mike Tomlin didn't have a lot of experience either.
Tomlin had 12 years of coaching experience, gase 15, Gruden 11 years. Cowher had 7 years of coaching experience after 5 years of playing experience

All were very young to get their shot and all had considerable more experience than McVay.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I don't discount college experience. But Gase's one year as a Graduate Assistant at LSU isn't very meaningful experience in the grand scheme of things. Lane Kiffin's entire college career doesn't prepare him for a completely different g
Well that's funny, because gase worked at LSU under nick Saban and had regarded him as a mentor. And yes it does prepare a coach as a head coach needs to prepare his staff, his coaches etc. X's and O's may not be the same but the experience of manageing the team sure does.

So how come we've never seen a 30 year old head coach before? Like ever?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tomlin had 12 years of coaching experience, gase 15, Gruden 11 years. Cowher had 7 years of coaching experience after 5 years of playing experience

All were very young to get their shot and all had considerable more experience than McVay.

McVay has 9 years of experience coaching pro football (8 NFL, 1 UFL). Tomlin had 6 years of NFL experience and 6 years of college. Cowher had 7 years of NFL experience as a coach. Gruden had 7 years of NFL experience and 5 years of college experience.

It seems silly to me to write McVay off because he has 3 less years of experience than Tomlin and Gruden.

I don't see the difference between McVay getting the job at 30 or getting the job at 33. The difference would be 3 years of experience coaching college ball before coming to the NFL. But it wouldn't really matter to me. It seems like such an arbitrary line to drawn in the sand.

McVay either has the leadership ability needed or doesn't.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has 9 years of experience coaching pro football (8 NFL, 1 UFL). Tomlin had 6 years of NFL experience and 6 years of college. Cowher had 7 years of NFL experience as a coach. Gruden had 7 years of NFL experience and 5 years of college experience.

It seems silly to me to write McVay off because he has 3 less years of experience than Tomlin and Gruden.

I don't see the difference between McVay getting the job at 30 or getting the job at 33. The difference would be 3 years of experience coaching college ball before coming to the NFL. But it wouldn't really matter to me. It seems like such an arbitrary line to drawn in the sand.

McVay either has the leadership ability needed or doesn't.
It's More than the 3 years because the examples you are giving are guys that have already proven to be exception to the rule. And McVay has 25% less experience than the guys on the ultra bottom of the scale.
Yeah it's a red flag for me.
And clearly it's. It just me when you consider how many guys have obtained the head coach position and there what, 3 or 4 guys that you can use as example? And still those guys had much more experience.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that's funny, because gase worked at LSU under nick Saban and had regarded him as a mentor. And yes it does prepare a coach as a head coach needs to prepare his staff, his coaches etc. X's and O's may not be the same but the experience of manageing the team sure does.

Nobody ever earned it that quickly before.

We have people who built billion dollar businesses before 30. We have people who become US congressmen before and at 30 (including Joe Biden). Yet, a guy can't be a head coach at 30? Come on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's More than the 3 years because the examples you are giving are guys that have already proven to be exception to the rule. And McVay has 25% less experience than the guys on the ultra bottom of the scale.
Yeah it's a red flag for me.
And clearly it's. It just me when you consider how many guys have obtained the head coach position and there what, 3 or 4 guys that you can use as example? And still those guys had much more experience.

There is no rule. McVay also has more NFL coaching experience than those guys.

There are three or four guys in the narrow window of time you gave us. The fact is that not many guys are considered for NFL HC jobs at 30. The fact that McVay is speaks highly of him. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Not many guys do enough by their early 30s to get consideration for a NFL HC job. That's not a negative for McVay.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I had a reply written up but I deleted it because I don't see the value in continuing the conversation. You're clearly against him and nobody is changing their mind here. Enjoy your night.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no rule. McVay also has more NFL coaching experience than those guys.

There are three or four guys in the narrow window of time you gave us. The fact is that not many guys are considered for NFL HC jobs at 30. The fact that McVay is speaks highly of him. You're not comparing apples to apples.

Not many guys do enough by their early 30s to get consideration for a NFL HC job. That's not a negative for McVay.
Narrow window?
How many guys in the history of the NFL were named head coach before the age of 31?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Narrow window?
How many guys in the history of the NFL were named head coach before the age of 31?

None that I know of. But there are a number of guys who were named HC before 35. Who gives a shit if a guy is 31 years old or 34 years old? What's the difference?

But what does that matter? McVay turns 31 in 16 days. Does it matter if we hire him in 15 days or 17 days?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None that I know of. But there are a number of guys who were named HC before 35. Who gives a crap if a guy is 31 years old or 34 years old? What's the difference?

But what does that matter? McVay turns 31 in 16 days. Does it matter if we hire him in 15 days or 17 days?
It's a big difference.
Which is why the answer is none.
The youngest or inexperienced guys in history are 3-4 years older than McVay. So he drops well below the spectrum of the extreme
But I get it, this is where it's an age arguement for you.
I'm not going to repeat my stance so I'm done here.
This HC is extremely important and the wrong hire can set the team back a decade. Again.
I find the risk way to high here

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Cmon kid bring it home, Seriously though the missed meeting with Shanahan may loom larger than we think. They may have needed the sit down to confirm or re align their candidates specifically McVay whom I think is one of the 2 they want. Now that the Shanny interview has been pushed they may have to wait to decide giving McVay time to have another impressive interview with a different team. We shall see. Shanny is the smart choice to me everything you want. Mcvay Is very high risk with very high reward maybe the next great coach. either one would tickle me to no end. Now get it done and don't sit.