Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thank goodness.....................

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/07/no-sniffs-yet-for-scott-linehan/

No sniffs yet for Scott Linehan
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2017

103826638-e1483833035573.jpg
Getty Images

The preliminary list of coaching candidates generated in November by the NFL’s Career Development Advisory Panel included Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, and Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph.

Harbaugh isn’t getting interviews because he’s not returning to the NFL, yet. The rest of the names have generated at least one interview each — with the exception of Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.

Linehan, 53, coached the Rams from 2006 through 2008. He spent five years after that as offensive coordinator of the Lions, and he has worked in Dallas for the last three. Despite his 2016 efforts with an offense that consists of a strong offensive line, a Hall of Fame tight end, a high-end receiver, and a rookie quarterback and rookie running back, Linehan apparently will be relegated to staying in Dallas for at least another year.

Ditto for defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, who has been widely praised for his work with the other side of the ball but who has never been discussed as a head-coaching candidate. Then again, with an 0-16 season on his permanent record, chances are that Marinelli will never again be a head coach.

For Linehan, the lack of interest seems strange, especially since teams are looking for coaches who can develop young quarterbacks.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Nice job...The top guy you interview last....Maybe everybody is right, Demoff, WTH? No excuse for that crap!

Cant control mother nature, these interviews were scheduled last week. As an Atlanta resident I can tell you ATL shut downs at the slightest sign of winter weather. Pretty much all of Atlanta got off work early before there was a cloud in the sky on Friday.

Zero

Pro Bowler
The problem with this logic is that you're writing off people who aren't the hot candidates. But there are many successful coaches in the NFL who weren't the hot candidate.
Has nothing to with being a hot candidate.For our situation
I prefer a excellent offensive mind who has his own system.
This will insure that Goff will be running the same system as long
as the HC has his job.I do not want an HC who has to bring in
someone to run a system that will leave if our OC gets hired away or leaves.
Right or wrong my pick has everything to do with Goff.
Maronne was a pseudo OC in New Orleans otherwise he is a oline coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cant control mother nature, these interviews were scheduled last week. As an Atlanta resident I can tell you ATL shut downs at the slightest sign of winter weather. Pretty much all of Atlanta got off work early before there was a cloud in the sky on Friday.

Everyone knew this storm was going to hit Atlanta, they should have scheduled it on Friday because of it...No freaking excuse, dumb asses!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
McVay could also attempt to bring Bill Callahan with him from Washington as his OC even though Washington doesn't have to grant that request (and they might not with all the Trash Fish talked over the years). Callahan was a wealth of head coaching experience, experience as a play caller, and is the best offensive line coach in the league. Could be a huge resource as a right hand man for a young coach if they can swing it. Bring a great young offensive mind and former head coach/play caller who is best OL coach in the league, just what the doctor ordered if you ask me.

Gruden seems like a reasonable guy who would let his assistants interview, but we won't know unless it happens, and Callahan is very very valuable for that OL. Losing him and McVay would be real tough to swallow.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Everyone knew this storm was going to hit Atlanta, they should have scheduled it on Friday because of it...No freaking excuse, dumb asses!

For all we know they did try to schedule it Friday. He had two days to interview and he broke 4 interviews up over 2 days. Its unfortunate, but cant really get mad at weather. Can fault this organization for many things, but I dont think this is one of them.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For all we know they did try to schedule it Friday. He had two days to interview and he broke 4 interviews up over 2 days. Its unfortunate, but cant really get mad at weather. Can fault this organization for many things, but I dont think this is one of them.

Just seems to always happen to the Rams

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
If Shanny wants the Rams job, he'll find time.
If not, move on

Good way to look at it Dodger... He knows the Rams have him in the middle of their cross-hairs and if the Rams franchise was on his wish list, it will work out as if it was always meant to be.

Crazy though that a snow blizzard was added to the drama..

raw

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Good way to look at it Dodger... He knows the Rams have him in the middle of their cross-hairs and if the Rams franchise was on his wish list, it will work out as if it was always meant to be.

Crazy though that a snow blizzard was added to the drama..

raw
It's a great job.
An owner with money that isn't a meddler.
A potential Franchise QB ready to mold.
Gurley.
A solid defense and Special teams.
So Cal weather for the family to enjoy while your working all night.

What's not to love?

KOWALSKI

Rookie
it's not up to him, after nfl rules he is only allowed to talk to the rams this weekend or after the falcons lose or after the super bowl.
forget shanny that race is over.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, because Gruden liked him enough to hire him at 22 instead of a little later for most assistants entering the NFL. I don't understand what you're getting at? No one is saying McVay is the smartest guy in the history of ever. He's just a bright guy who got his start in the NFL very early and ran with it and is now getting HC interviews because of all the qualities he brings.
Of course you are saying that.
He would be the youngest coach ever. As in the history of the NFL. And it's by a pretty wide margin I've rthe next "young gun" who was hired in the last 20 years or so.
Lane Kiffin, Raheem Morris, David Shula and Josh Mcdaniels. All abysmal failure that were over their head.
You can't learn experience.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
and that's not mcvay's offense it's gruden's.
typical demoff nonsense.
another wasted season.
we need to get rid of demoff first.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Of course you are saying that.
He would be the youngest coach ever. As in the history of the NFL. And it's by a pretty wide margin I've rthe next "young gun" who was hired in the last 20 years or so.
Lane Kiffin, Raheem Morris, David Shula and Josh Mcdaniels. All abysmal failure that were over their head.
You can't learn experience.

I thought I went over this. He doesn't really have any less experience than a lot of guys much older..

If experience is so much more important than having literally every single trait needed to be a head coach, we might as well bring Jeff Fisher back.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was pretty high on Linehan and Spags as Candidates. :dizzy:

Wasn't that high on Fisher.

Linehan?, really? I thought he was a dolt from the outset as to Spagnuolo I was high on him on Fisher, lukewarm.