Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It feels like McVay has been grooming Thomas Brown for that promotion. But I wonder if he'll go with somebody more senior like Olson or Jay Gruden.
Keep grooming the minorities to get them hired as head coaches and get those third round picks.

I wonder if that plays into the thinking. With McVay calling plays, what’s it matter who the OC is?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've already lost their OC and 2 other offense assistants. Not sure what constitutes cleaning house? Whether by intent or not, replacing a coordinator and 2 coaches does require quite a bit.
That said, since the O will require a re-tooling and focus, I'd imagine leaving the D alone might be the plan

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It feels like McVay has been grooming Thomas Brown for that promotion. But I wonder if he'll go with somebody more senior like Olson or Jay Gruden.
Might, but most all of McVay's current offensive assistants have a heavy resume on the passing game side.

Only one of McVay's current coaches comes from a heavy resume on the running game. You hit on it!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe Kromer's kid is a revelation as a TE coach. But I'd prefer to see him go find a respected TE coach this offseason. I think he and Snead require a fresh mind to assist them in actually drafting one that is worth a shit.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Nice !! Wonder how that will work out & what is Shula’s future.

I also see & think Zac Robinson becomes The Rams next OC ? Haven’t heard it from anyone else,but been saying it for awhile now.I thought he was Kupp’s guy,but saw that didn’t play out the same way as I thought it would.
I do believe G. Olsen has helped Ben Sko a lot this year,weather anyone wants to think that or not.
—Zac Robinson might be the guy Mayfield goes to on the sidelines?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe Kromer's kid is a revelation as a TE coach. But I'd prefer to see him go find a respected TE coach this offseason. I think he and Snead require a fresh mind to assist them in actually drafting one that is worth a shit.

I’ll disagree,because Zak Kromer is underrated to a lot of Rams fans.

—Just wondering what his responsibilities were this season before he became the TE’s coach?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’ll disagree,because Zak Kromer is underrated to a lot of Rams fans.

—Just wondering what his responsibilities were this season before he became the TE’s coach?
How is he underrated. Based on what.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
If this were to occur it would be a very good decision...I believe that Henderson would move this 2023 defensive to a 43 based on the diverse good DL he has coached up. He has much more experience & talent for a 43-D lineup.

The Rams are depleted of true 34 OLB'ers & Snead has had & is having a terrible time finding talented true OLB'ers in the draft or in free agency.

Is Offensive Assistant Jake Penzt departing to NCAA? What about Jay Gruden Rams Offensive consultant?

I prefer the 43 to a 34 especially when you have to move to Nickel, keep the DL in both formations, just replacing a LB with a DB, vs a 34 which most of the time switches to a 42 in Nickel

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I prefer the 43 to a 34 especially when you have to move to Nickel, keep the DL in both formations, just replacing a LB with a DB, vs a 34 which most of the time switches to a 42 in Nickel
I am not married to either 34 or 43 defense in general at this point.

I do know the Rams can field a very good 43 D LB'ing unit.

OLB-Floyd/ Hardy
MLB-Wagner/ Hummel/ Rozeboom
OLB-Jones/ Howard/ Gervase

Even with the loss of two very good starting DL'ers the Rams could still field 43 D line.

DE- Hoecht / K.Thomas / Van Valkenburg
5T- B.Brown / Copeland/ Davis
3T- Donald / Murchison/ Carter
DE- Williams / E.Brown/ B.Thomas

It is obvious to me that the DL needs a heavy infusion of talented pass rushers! I believe that Snead will be able to find DL pass rushers in this upcoming draft but hold no hope that he can find a 34 D edge pass rusher.

Here's a very hard question....name me the last good starting 34 D ER that Snead drafted?:wow2::explode1:

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
At this point in his career, would AD benefit more from a 4-3 or 3-4? Or neither, it doesn't matter?

oldnotdead

Legend
Most teams have adopted the 3-4 hybrid or some refer to it as 4i scheme. Like the 4-3 it's a one gap, penetration style of defense. But with 3-4 type of players, (bigger) it allows the DC more options in his front 7 alignments. The problem with our current DC is that he plays his personnel many times in a two gap style or the NT two gapping while everyone else is one gap. Basically like he's winging it.

Some of the top defenses use the 3-4 hybrid. When the Ravens were perenially one of the top defenses they ran and are still running that scheme. It's designed as a penetration attacking scheme. But as we have seen our DC prefers to simply sit back. It's not the basic scheme that is the problem or the personnel. It's in how the personnel are employed, i.e. aligned. It would be the same result with a 4-3 as it is now because the current 3-4 is played as a one gap scheme exactly like a standard 4-3.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Complete shit show of a franchise from top to bottom especially at the top.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surely not!

The pathetic showing in their bowl game surely doesnt help Kentucky's cause in getting him back. No Will Levis to go back to
They did land Devin Leary to replace Levis.
At this point in his career, would AD benefit more from a 4-3 or 3-4? Or neither, it doesn't matter?
Doesn't matter.