Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Asst HC is a demotion and I would think derails his HC plans. Its the dichotomy of how the NFL coaching positions are deemed, Level 1 HC, Level 2 Coordinator. There is no difference between an "Assistant HC" and any of the coaching positions below Coord., typically the Asst HC also serves on the coaching staff in a support role.
The gave the title to Brown last year in addition being TE coach as kind of a pat on the back since he didnt land an OC spot
There’s no misunderstanding of that here.
I just think that the league is always changing.
Also, this was with the caveat of him NOT getting an HC gig this offseason.
Look at his career… he’s a flexible guy.. and will be a CEO type HC. His leadership and adaptability are his selling points, and if he helps McVay turn it back around, that will matter.
I’m also saying that this would be an expanded role for him… allowing McVay to spend more time/attention on offense.

McVay needs to delegate more, imo… whether it’s this scenario, or letting someone call plays.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There’s no misunderstanding of that here.
I just think that the league is always changing.
Also, this was with the caveat of him NOT getting an HC gig this offseason.
Look at his career… he’s a flexible guy.. and will be a CEO type HC. His leadership and adaptability are his selling points, and if he helps McVay turn it back around, that will matter.
I’m also saying that this would be an expanded role for him… allowing McVay to spend more time/attention on offense.

McVay needs to delegate more, imo… whether it’s this scenario, or letting someone call plays.
Sure thing then make him the Asst HC without stripping him of his DC title.
Otherwise, no matter how you paint the picture, its a demotion
Simply put, as a DC the Rams cant block him from interviewing for HC jobs, but can block him from interviewing for other DC jobs. If he drops down to a position coach with the Asst HC title, the Rams cant block him from interviewing for DC or HC positions
If McVay is happy with his philosophy as his DC there's just no way he's going to upend the staff just to try and help Morris sharpen his resume. If he's not happy, then yeah I could see him selling him some song and dance about being like a CEO...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sure thing then make him the Asst HC without stripping him of his DC title.
Otherwise, no matter how you paint the picture, its a demotion
Simply put, as a DC the Rams cant block him from interviewing for HC jobs, but can block him from interviewing for other DC jobs. If he drops down to a position coach with the Asst HC title, the Rams cant block him from interviewing for DC or HC positions
If McVay is happy with his philosophy as his DC there's just no way he's going to upend the staff just to try and help Morris sharpen his resume. If he's not happy, then yeah I could see him selling him some song and dance about being like a CEO...
I get your point and it’s completely sound and based on how things traditionally go in the NFL.

I just think the Rams are happy to do things differently.

The other carrot for Morris is if McVay really does think he’s only got a few years left.

Either way, your scenario is more likely.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First off, I'm not a huge fan of Jay Gruden, however, I would be shocked if Gruden accepted a role where he does not have play calling duties as an OC. Now, if he has not other option I can see this, but if he wants another shot at a Head Coaching gig, he'll have to call plays IMHO.
I think Jay would be an excellent promotion to OC. He would take a lot off McVay's plate. It's time for him to flip those duties to his OC and it would be fitting to see that change take place with Jay.

But he really needs to take a long hard look at who the creative run game minds are in college and the pro ranks and make a move for one of them. His little run game innovation mini-game he's had going with Shanahan is over I think. Shanahan's approach has been better and more successful with the run game and that's fine because McVay's strength is big picture, culture, and wins. So do what that big picture coach does and hire someone to handle said innovation.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I don't mind losing Coen. Can't name a single thing he's done well for us since we got here. Offense took a step back with him in McVays ear.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm shocked over this, it's possible now that Peetz could be the Offensive Coordinator next year. He was LSU's OC in 2021 so I'm shocked he didn't take the Nebraska gig.
I was just thinking the same thing. Someone changed his mind with an offer me thinks. Jake Peetz may bring something new to this offense which has an outstanding large unit of receivers lacking RB's & TE's.

Plus a very weak hurting OL.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm shocked over this, it's possible now that Peetz could be the Offensive Coordinator next year. He was LSU's OC in 2021 so I'm shocked he didn't take the Nebraska gig.
It's possible but I'm shocked for another reason. This lessens the blood bath people are calling for on the coaching staff.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Greg Olson plans to stick around right? He does have a niche working with QBs. I am surprised he left the first time, but him and McVay must be on good terms since he did comeback.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Greg Olson plans to stick around right? He does have a niche working with QBs. I am surprised he left the first time, but him and McVay must be on good terms since he did comeback.
IIRC he left because he was offered the OC job with play calling responsibilities with the Raiders. It was definitely a step up for him.
Sidenote: Really glad he's back with the Rams; his rep for developing QBs and evaluating protections is well known.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IIRC he left because he was offered the OC job with play calling responsibilities with the Raiders. It was definitely a step up for him.
Sidenote: Really glad he's back with the Rams; his rep for developing QBs and evaluating protections is well known.

~ArkyRamsFan~
He definitely deserves cred getting Baker up to speed so fast on the protections. There's a recent SI article out about the game that mentioned that the Rams run Callahan's protection scheme, or very similar, so that helped him greatly, but quality of the QB room staff certainly was a factor.

Also I'm sure it felt great for Greg to stick it to the Raiders. :laugh1:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I personally think and hope mcVay cleans house this off season. I think there are certain people who would stay or get promoted within but I feel we definitely need some new blood in the building. I'm confident if mcVay is gonna take the time to restructure he's going to do it right.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Changes gotta be strategic, not just clearing house.
Stability.. institutional knowledge.. being able to speak the same football language.. that stuff matters.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
With all the coaches the Rams have lost over the last 5 years, isn’t that enough house cleaning???

How about some stability for 2 or 3 years along with a few strategic tweaks.