Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Rams better be prepared to find a new DL coach in 2023.

The hire of DL Coach Henderson in 2019 was huge for the Rams to win the SB.

I fully expect Henderson to be a DC very soon when the season is concluded.

Correct. Rams DC.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hope you're right on both sides of the ball.
I'll settle for big changes to roster building. I have a hard time holding position coaches responsible for their bosses roster decisions.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll settle for big changes to roster building. I have a hard time holding position coaches responsible for their bosses roster decisions.
IDK I feel some were miscast like Brown & Shula for example, get them back to the positions they coach up best and then take it from there. Again as always, JMHO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK I feel some were miscast like Brown & Shula for example, get them back to the positions they coach up best and then take it from there. Again as always, JMHO.
Most of the good coaches and coordinators in the NFL were position coaches for multiple positions. They might not have been great at all of them but they get experience at spots other than their comfort zone. Look at our coach people call him a TE coach and don't even know or acknowledge he was a WR coach in the UFL before a TE coach in the NFL. We seem to trust McVay in a lot of things but not in assigning his coaches to roles on his staff. Kinda short sighted IMO. I also think people expecting a blood bath of change on his coaching staff are in for a disappointment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO, I believe Coen will be heading back to Lexington as they want him to come back very bad and that might be a good move for him. Then McVay will either promote Greg Olson to OC and hire on someone else too.

So what about Zac Robinson? I think Coen didn’t do such a good job this season ? Not sure who or if you can blame anyone though?

Thaddeus goes where then ?

Zak Kromer will be gone IMO. He has been with The Rams day 1 basically with Mcvay.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also think people expecting a blood bath of change on his coaching staff are in for a disappointment.
That I agree with, but I do believe there will be multiple changes just based on a few factors of coaching leaving for what ever reason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That I agree with, but I do believe there will be multiple changes just based on a few factors of coaching leaving for what ever reason.
That happens every year with this coach hardly going out on a limb there :D

But the bad year might temper that tbh.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If this were to occur it would be a very good decision...I believe that Henderson would move this 2023 defensive back to a 43 Defense. He has much more experience & talent for a 43-D lineup.

The Rams are depleted of true 34 OLB'ers & Snead has had & is having a terrible time finding talented true OLB'ers in the draft or in free agency.

Is Offensive Assistant Jake Penzt departing to NCAA? What about Jay Gruden Rams Offensive consultant?

Jake ? Is he from State Farm ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not upset about the HB Coach leaving. Move Thomas Brown back to that spot. I'd like for us to bring Aubrey Pleasant back too.
Is he on the market ? He wanted the DC position,but I really liked watch him during training camps. He brings a good energy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also think people expecting a blood bath of change on his coaching staff are in for a disappointment.
Totally agree here. Rams making wholesale changes year to year with coaching staff is an obvious grind, and mostly out of their control. Outside of folks leaving due to outside opportunities, I dont see the Rams being the driver of change.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
IMO, I believe Coen will be heading back to Lexington as they want him to come back very bad and that might be a good move for him. Then McVay will either promote Greg Olson to OC and hire on someone else too.
They also have Jay Gruden in house as well. Although, he could also move into an assistant head coach role.

Ellard80

Legend
Not sure,,, but from what I know of McVay he is not slow to move on changing big things about the team if they are not meeting his expectations.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there were big changes next year.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They also have Jay Gruden in house as well. Although, he could also move into an assistant head coach role.
First off, I'm not a huge fan of Jay Gruden, however, I would be shocked if Gruden accepted a role where he does not have play calling duties as an OC. Now, if he has not other option I can see this, but if he wants another shot at a Head Coaching gig, he'll have to call plays IMHO.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is he on the market ? He wanted the DC position,but I really liked watch him during training camps. He brings a good energy.
This was in reference to the Running Backs Coach not the Defensive Line Coach.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I would love if Eviro was let go by the Broncos and the Rams snatched him.
Move Morris into an assistant HC role and give McVay more support. I think that structure would be VERY helpful.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hpw do you know that McVay gives the DC a choice to change the defense?
I don't.

You & I know that McVay prefers a 34 defense. I would guess he is still drooling over Vic Fangio who is one of the best 34 D DC I know myself. Who knows Mcvay still might have a chance to bring him here with Staley as his assistant. But Snead will have to get serious & draft a few healthy standup 34 OLB'ers with the talent to entice Vic. Vic is sure doing a good job in Philly.

When I review this current & future MR53 plus IR & PS. It's clearly evident that this DL unit is full of good young talent. The OLB unit has very few true 34 OLB'ers. Most of the OLB'ers in the unit are true 43 DE's.

At this point in time, the 32 yr old Floyd is the only bonified 34 Defensive OLB'er on this team. Hopefully 7th rd 2022 draft selection Daniel Hardy possibly might morph into a stand-up OLB'er but he was a pure 3 pt hand-in dirt DE pass rusher in college, not an OLB'er.

Because McVay continues week after week unable to enter an NFL gm with the appropriate amount of NFL skilled OLB'ers in his desired 34 D. Clearly evidenced by the last few seasons Snead has lost the ability with his scouting team to locate & get in NFL grade 34 OLB'ers to the field so his DC can use them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This was in reference to the Running Backs Coach not the Defensive Line Coach.
What ? He mentioned Aubrey Pleasant as coming back as well as moving the Brown back to RB coach.

I’m not sure about Brown? He was the run game coordinator taken over for Aaron Kromer last season ?

If Aubrey came back I was just saying how he interacts with players. He calls all the different formations out loud to the DB’s he is constantly into the game.

Why did he leave ? The thread is about FREAKING coaches changing in 2023. Once Pleasant left I stopped paying attention to him as a coach,but saw how crappy Detroits DB’s were.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love if Eviro was let go by the Broncos and the Rams snatched him.
Move Morris into an assistant HC role and give McVay more support. I think that structure would be VERY helpful.
I dont see Morris accepting a demotion at this point, and dont see why he should.
Either McVay wants to get him what he needs to get the D back to 2021 levels, or he moves on from him

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I dont see Morris accepting a demotion at this point, and dont see why he should.
Either McVay wants to get him what he needs to get the D back to 2021 levels, or he moves on from him
If Morris doesn't get an HC gig, I could very well see him accepting something like this.

If the Rams are very successful again with him at that position, I think it puts him back in position as an HC candidate... I don't see it as a demotion, I see it as a new role that reinforces his ability to be a CEO type HC.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Morris doesn't get an HC gig, I could very well see him accepting something like this.

If the Rams are very successful again with him at that position, I think it puts him back in position as an HC candidate... I don't see it as a demotion, I see it as a new role that reinforces his ability to be a CEO type HC.
Asst HC is a demotion and I would think derails his HC plans. Its the dichotomy of how the NFL coaching positions are deemed, Level 1 HC, Level 2 Coordinator. There is no difference between an "Assistant HC" and any of the coaching positions below Coord., typically the Asst HC also serves on the coaching staff in a support role.
The gave the title to Brown last year in addition being TE coach as kind of a pat on the back since he didnt land an OC spot